Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

how do you stop Xbox when a stream doesn't load properly?

none of the controls will stop it 'working'

Right Click/Esc. Don't click too much.

But, most likely, try a different XBMC build.
    Allyall , thanks for your input ! The MX2 is dual core other 2 are quad core , would that make much difference ?

Not for XBMC today. (Specifically for those)
    MX2 is excellent. But may need a different ROM - Easy to do.. (Sorry, I had loads written, and deleted and wrote again... now here.)

- I'd go for the MX2 with a custom ROM. Full HD streaming live, and no issues. - For the Pedantic, It may not have been consistently "Full HD" but is excellent quality, marked as full HD and doesn't stutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

thanks allyall
    I presume I need a proper remote for that
    I'm using Yatse right now

where would I get a custom Rom for this and is it worth doing?
    http://www.focalprice.com/EH0077B/UG007_Android_411_RK3066_DualCore_CortexA9_16_GHz_8G_Video_Player.html

thanks again

thanks allyall
    I presume I need a proper remote for that
    I'm using Yatse right now

where would I get a custom Rom for this and is it worth doing?
    http://www.focalprice.com/EH0077B/UG007_Android_411_RK3066_DualCore_CortexA9_16_GHz_8G_Video_Player.html

thanks again

In Yatse there should be a back arrow under the directional pad. That should do the same.

There are tons of custom roms for the RK3066 Chipset..
    I think the imito mx1/2 roms (newer version) run best, but that may be outdated now... The snakegenmod seems to get a lot of attention, but I haven't tried it.
    Both should be a lot better than the stock rom.

Allyall wrote: »
    In Yatse there should be a back arrow under the directional pad. That should do the same.

There are tons of custom roms for the RK3066 Chipset..
    I think the imito mx1/2 roms (newer version) run best, but that may be outdated now... The snakegenmod seems to get a lot of attention, but I haven't tried it.
    Both should be a lot better than the stock rom.

ok thanks I'll take a look

the back button doesn't work on Xbox remote or yatse
    ill try a different Xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I have a WD Live box on a 'spare' TV which I want to replace as it's quite limited in what it can do. I have an OUYA on my main TV which works fine for Netflix and XBMC (SPMC actually) and the fact it has indie games and comes with it's own game pad is a bonus for the kids but for the spare TV I'd like something more vanilla Android which can run standard XBMC, Netflix and online streaming apps like RTE Player etc.

Is the Matricom G-BOX MIDNIGHT MX2 the best performing option around at the moment? http://matricom.net/products/g-box-midnight-mx2? The official box is £94 on http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395230500&sr=8-1&keywords=G-Box+Midnight+MX2+Android+4.2+Jelly+Bean+Dual+Core+XBMC+Streaming+Mini+HTPC+TV+Box+Player but these guys seem to be doing a (cloned?) version for just €50 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XBMC-Installed-E-M6-Android-4-2-2-8GB-Set-top-Box-Amlogic-8726-MX-Cortex/928275567.html. Has anyone bought the €50 version and is it "official" or a copy and if a copy is it fully functional? I'm as keen as the next guy to save €50 but I'd prefer to spend £94 and get a high quality product than €50 and get something which doesn't work or won't work for very long!!

Assuming the MX2 (whatever version) is the best box to go with is Snakerom 4.1.1 update 3 the best custom ROM to flash onto it or has that been replaced by Snakerom 4.2.2 version 1.4? https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5bc7c5f6a3b2dad9&id=5BC7C5F6A3B2DAD9%21450&authkey=!ALRUOHssz8ADbbs

Does anyone know if the MX2 has good WiFi capability? Where I plan to use it is about 30 feet from my WiFi router through a ceiling. The WD Live box has no problems streaming Netflix etc in the same spot.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

There is no difference between the Clone and the G-Box especially after the Matricom Rom has been put on it.

Same guts also as the Tronsmart Prometheus. I haven't yet installed any rom on either of my Prometheus' but I will soon.
    I have put MX Linux on the MX2 and the Matricom ROM along with one other weird one. (Can't remember the name of it) It was OTT with the visuals, and kinda made me feel a little motion sickness.
    I haven't tried any of the Snake ROMs. Not even sure if that link is for an MX2, but I presume it is, if you found the link.

I'm currently using the Matricom 1.1.5 ROM and it's perfect. But i do intend on checking out the 1.1.6 at some point - I may do that on the Prometheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

how does the mini x5 compare against the mx2

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ainm usaideoir

[/QUOTE] MX2 is excellent. But may need a different ROM - Easy to do.. (Sorry, I had loads written, and deleted and wrote again... now here.)

- I'd go for the MX2 with a custom ROM. Full HD streaming live, and no issues. - For the Pedantic, It may not have been consistently "Full HD" but is excellent quality, marked as full HD and doesn't stutter.[/QUOTE]

Took your advice and ordered the MX2 , where can I find the custom rom ?
    Thanks again !! :D

how does the mini x5 compare against the mx2
    I think they're both good. The MK808B has the same CPU as the Minix neo x5, and most of those roms for the RK3066 chipset work with it. (And Vice Versa)
    Minix are still supporting it, a new firmware came out very recently, which is obviously a great thing, considering how many lost support over a year ago and had to rely on others for their updates.
    Unlike the nufront (NS115) at the same time, which pretty much died without any support.

But, for the ROM and stability I'd personally, go with the MX2. Since AMLogic released their source code, their devices improvements have been massive, leaps and bounds.
    Whereas it seemed to have the opposite effect on Rockchip. They released their source code in summer last year, and not as many improvements.
    Took your advice and ordered the MX2 , where can I find the custom rom ?
    Thanks again !! :D
    A few different places, But the one I'd go for is

http://matricom.net/software-and-roms/mx2-software/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ordered the MK908II from Geekbuying on Tuesday, and it shipped today via DHL, with 3-5 business days delivery time, so should have it by this day next week.

• Advertisement

There is no difference between the Clone and the G-Box especially after the Matricom Rom has been put on it. .......I'm currently using the Matricom 1.1.5 ROM and it's perfect.

Are you using Matricom 1.1.5 on the clone version of the MX2?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Are you using Matricom 1.1.5 on the clone version of the MX2?

Ben

Yep, from that link.

EDIT.

Also had MX Linux on the last one, Which i put back to original, and now has MX Linux back on it, in my friends house networked up with 4 Hard Drives and no XBMC on it. He has it running through his system.

MX Linux from HERE

What are peoples thoughts on the MINIX NEO X7 -http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOX7.html? This review looks fantastic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBR3ZrurMKI

Given I need my new box to be strong on the WiFi side of things the fact the X7 has an external antenna and got such high scores on the review makes it very tempting for me. I looked for a review comparing the MX2 with the NEO X7 but couldn't find one. Thoughts on how the stack up against each other?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Slightly off topic, just tried Torrent Stream Controller, all channels are overdubbed in Russian, and I can't find a setting to change.

Using VLC for playback and a Google turned up nothing.

Have the same problem. Any solution found?

cwboy wrote: »
    Have the same problem. Any solution found?

i just watch the sports

no problem there mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Ordered the MK908II from Geekbuying on Tuesday, and it shipped today via DHL, with 3-5 business days delivery time, so should have it by this day next week.

Hey all, am looking for the best out there or one of the best looking to stream hd maybe 3d will the above do this or can anyone recommend any
    Ps. Am a complete novice at this right now just looking to get set up with one and maybe a future proof box? All help and advice welcome,
    Thanks

What are peoples thoughts on the MINIX NEO X7 -http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOX7.html? This review looks fantastic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBR3ZrurMKI

Given I need my new box to be strong on the WiFi side of things the fact the X7 has an external antenna and got such high scores on the review makes it very tempting for me. I looked for a review comparing the MX2 with the NEO X7 but couldn't find one. Thoughts on how the stack up against each other?

Ben

^^^ Any thoughts on the Minix Neo 7? I did a bit more research and overall it looks like a very solid box with strong WiFi. Anyone got anything good/bad to say about it or Minix in general?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

^^^ Any thoughts on the Minix Neo 7? I did a bit more research and overall it looks like a very solid box with strong WiFi. Anyone got anything good/bad to say about it or Minix in general?

Ben

I think MiniX 7 is one of the best Android boxes out there, the Reviews on You tube and freak tab are great, and it's a quad core too. I'm gonna get that next week.

I think MiniX 7 is one of the best Android boxes out there, the Reviews on You tube and freak tab are great, and it's a quad core too. I'm gonna get that next week.
    Whats the price difference between the x5 and x7?

As per Amazon X5 is £ 62 and X7 is £ 88.00.

• Advertisement

As per Amazon X5 is £ 62 and X7 is £ 88.00.
    not much of a difference then, do these come pre loaded with all the add ons etc

It comes loaded with Apps, but if you're talking about XBMC I don't think so...but installing XBMC is easy
    check the review's on You Tube for both MiniX and XBMC.

Have to agree, can't fault it.
    My only quibble would be the price is double the MX2. The MX2 doesn't stutter at all, on streaming HD, XBMC, or anything I've thrown at it.

To call it a 'clone', isn't entirely accurate, as they are all made in the same place. Matricom is just an American Company that brands it. They even supply the Matricom Roms to the MX2 user.

Minix Neo X7 is great, but for half the price MX2 is very close to (if not equal) equalling it. Many other RK3188 devices available for much cheaper also, Albeit with only 1 USB port..

All of that said, Minix Neo X7 is an excellent box, and I had no issues with it that I can remember.

All of that said, Minix Neo X7 is an excellent box, and I had no issues with it that I can remember.

I know it's almost twice the price of the unbranded MX2 but in the grand scheme of things it's only €40. If you had to buy one box based on build quality, overall performance, manufacturer support, 3rd party ROM support and WiFi capability would the N7 be it?

http://www.futeko.com/browse.php?cat=mp

the stick and box there have similar specs

the box has better wi-fi

better connectivity

presumably better heat dissipation too?

http://www.futeko.com/browse.php?cat=mp

the stick and box there have similar specs

the box has better wi-fi

better connectivity

presumably better heat dissipation too?

have you used this site before? they seem to be cheaper than amazon anyway ,might give them a go, i was quoted 179 from a seller on adverts for the x7

have you used this site before? they seem to be cheaper than amazon anyway ,might give them a go, i was quoted 179 from a seller on adverts for the x7

It's £ 88.00 for X7 on Amazon, so they're definitely not cheaper.

It's £ 88.00 for X7 on Amazon, so they're definitely not cheaper.
    does that include delevery and air mouse do you know?

I know it's almost twice the price of the unbranded MX2 but in the grand scheme of things it's only €40. If you had to buy one box based on build quality, overall performance, manufacturer support, 3rd party ROM support and WiFi capability would the N7 be it?

I don't know...
    The build quality would be the same. Both are very well built.
    Overall performance, - I had no issues with either. Early on there was quite a few issues with RK3188 devices, but they're virtually non existent now, and really only apply to anyone using software/firmware pre-Christmas..

Manufacturer Support, You might get the same software support from matricom as you would from Minix, But hardware support, (If anything failed), I can't say how either would fare out.

3rd party ROM support, Roughly equal. Since 4.2 not much need for them performance wise, except to remove bloatware added. But run linux on them and they fly. (The Minix slightly better).

I can't comment at all on Wifi. I have a pretty good wireless setup. But, In the worst part of my house (Extension, with TV) I'm pretty sure both worked. I can't remember having any issues.

After writing that, and thinking about it, If both met in the middle and were ~ €80 - I'd have to go with the Minix X7 It has the better CPU, But don't let that take away from how well the MX2 performs.

• Advertisement

does that include delevery and air mouse do you know?

IR receiver (built-in, remote included)

and Delivery is free in UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E2R0Z3Y/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DU6ZPSM1YUGM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement