Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

hail shower 3.00 on galtee mountains http://www.flickr.com/photos/77139286@N02/7070891909/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Taken from Blackrock about 3.30pm......

Untweaked version.....

IMG_1225-002-1.jpg

Not really sure which I prefer - the bottom one is what it actually looked like!

My Tweaked version of your shot... ;)

559769_10151483451370258_518365257_23955188_503996305_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

alll the lighting strikes over in england :(

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    alll the lighting strikes over in england :(

Ye , small MCS has formed just south of london, one of my friends over there is chasing it! ha

Apparently theres a nice shelf cloud along the front edge! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Bugger all here today; some nice sunshine and lots of (dry) cloud. Cool out of the sun.

No wind.

Were it not for the sun this would be an April Mehday. :(

• Advertisement

Great Mammatus Display From England!! , photos from a Member over on Net Weather.

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=133093

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Damm I wish I was not working this week ..was'nt much action here..great pics from everyone..no pics of my own but enjoyed this video ..a bomb:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

A cookie if you can spot the lightning on that video at 1:01. Impressive cell development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

darkman2 wrote: »
    A cookie if you can spot the lightning on that video at 1:01. Impressive cell development.

saw it:D spent the rest of the video looking for more.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Some nasty showers today in Leitrim ill try n get one picture up if i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

well this is the best i can do i cant make the photo appear in the post like you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Might there have been a couple of flashes over my way just there? Half asleep so could well be wrong!

My hubbe just told me his phone flashes when alarm goes off.....

*quietly exits the weather forum*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

darkman2 wrote: »

well spotted folks ..,,but for all the cloud development why did'nt these clouds produce more than they did and why did many parts of the UK get much more severe storms..bigger hail.more strikes etc ....are we just plain unlucky or lucky depending on your view of severe weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

pauldry wrote: »
    Some nasty showers today in Leitrim ill try n get one picture up if i can

Ah, you can hang on to your pics of Leitrim :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    well spotted folks ..,,but for all the cloud development why did'nt these clouds produce more than they did and why did many parts of the UK get much more severe storms..bigger hail.more strikes etc ....are we just plain unlucky or lucky depending on your view of severe weather.

Down to the geography of the two I'd guess, there's a longer land track from north to south in Britain so storms have longer to build and there's more mountains in the north to act as a lifting mechanism. If you watched the radar earlier showers were developing just south of the Pennines then intensifying the further south they went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Almighty downpour here now south of arklow.
    Very loud,a lot of hail,its been ongoing for the last half hour with no let up.
    So loud I was expecting thunder but none yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I see that - looks nasty. I wonder how that has developed. has me intrigued. Radar is also showing very intense echoes in the midlands although it appears completely stationary so I would guess the radar returns are a reflection of your precipitation or else the midlands are getting a right soaking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Speak Now

South Wicklow/North Wexford looks like the got a right deluge in the early hours of this morning! Drifting off into the Irish sea now.

WEB_radar2_201204130815.png

gosh that "shower" lasted 5hrs ,theres a flood here,peaked at 120mm/hr and dropped 18mm here:eek:.
    I wasn't amused when the eagle on the radio this morning said there weren't many showers about this morning and that the heavy ones would really get going in the afternoon.

highdef wrote: »
    I see that - looks nasty. I wonder how that has developed. has me intrigued. Radar is also showing very intense echoes in the midlands although it appears completely stationary so I would guess the radar returns are a reflection of your precipitation or else the midlands are getting a right soaking!!!
    I saw the earlier met.ie radar images,it seems to have exploded in the early hours over the high ground near lugnaquilla and kept growing and really grew when it hit water becoming slow moving and growing even stronger on the coast as if it needed a drink.
    It looks like a shallow low may have developed.
    I'd have to go back to the house to check pressure readings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few strikes this morning from that 'shower' over south Wicklow/Wexford. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A few strikes this morning from that 'shower' over south Wicklow/Wexford. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/
    now that doesn't surprise me.
    I have blackout curtains but didn't hear anything other than the roar of the rain.
    It's still raining down here by the way very lightly - it never stopped. So its been raining now a solid 8hrs in ark low.
    If that happened up the road in Dublin, met eireann would be making more of
    "to do" about it!
    Just my smartphone lately so not as easy to look at things in more detail.

Just watched that shower back on the radar from 4 am . REALLY interesting how it started just over the wicklow mountains, probably due to upward forcing?

Then it spread out south and east And now looks like to be heading into wales as a small squall line maybe?

Anyways those showers in the Irish sea heading this way better hurry up as i'm in work at 5!! ... :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

blackius wrote: »
    now that doesn't surprise me.
    I have blackout curtains.........

WW2 ended in 1945, you can get rid of those now! :D

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Anyways those showers in the Irish sea heading this way better hurry up as i'm in work at 5!! ... :(

Nothing moving very fast out there! Have to keep an eye on home grown showers.

From clear skies here about an hour ago, cumulus clouds really getting going/bubbling now. Starting to see a few specks dotted around the place now on radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The western hills of Kilkenny got some heavy showers earlier this morning, luckily missed us but it look look pretty wet over towards Ballyragget to Freshford to Tullaroan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Not a bad view of why Black experienced his prolonged downpour earlier this morning.

LOC_20120413_0900.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

blackius wrote: »
    gosh that "shower" lasted 5hrs ,theres a flood here,peaked at 120mm/hr and dropped 18mm here:eek:.

That is what I call a shower! met.ie radar animation from this morning:

radar13thapril2012_1.gif

Really developed over south Wicklow alright as shallow low moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Hail stoning here for the last 15 minutes.. car/ground etc is white!

• Advertisement

Hail stoning here for the last 15 minutes.. car/ground etc is white!

Any mammatus?... Photos? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement