Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2014

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Excellent event. Super route, brilliantly well marshalled and signed, fantastic food stop. One of the best sportives in the country. Well done to all at Orwell.

Oh yeah, that carrot cake was savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

Cracking day today on the bike
    no wait to sign on and left bang on time with every junction very well marshalled
    Food stop was top notch
    will be back again
    Great job Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

This is one of the best organised sportifs in the country. The marshalling was excellent and the chipper at the end was very welcome. I think the route was even better than last year.
    Well Done Orwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

We'll done to Orwell for a great event, everything was so well organised. Great day out and some unreal scenery

Thanks to the guy who gave me a gel before the descent to the food stop and also the Orwell photographer for the quick chat to allow me to regain some energy. I was going backwards at that stage didn't have enough supplies to get me to the stop in Laragh, silly mistake.

Recharged at the food stop and felt great again

That carrot cake is the stuff of legend

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

First time doing the Orwell and it was a great experience. Really well organised event.Thanks to all the volunteers.

By the way .... if you tell them how much you like the carrot cake you get offered wine. In a glass no less ! That's a first for a sportive..they are a classy crowd them Orwell folks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Superbly organised event with great marshalling and advance warning of all hazards. The carrot cake was yummy but it was the coffee at the start that was most warmly welcomed by my sleepy head.

Thanks also to the Blanch Wheelies for the tow around all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I believe a rider crashed descending the Gap towards Laragh? Didn't see it myself but I wish the rider a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

apm0003 wrote: »
    First time doing the Orwell and it was a great experience. Really well organised event.Thanks to all the volunteers.

By the way .... if you tell them how much you like the carrot cake you get offered wine. In a glass no less ! That's a first for a sportive..they are a classy crowd them Orwell folks :-)
    Indeed. They offered me wine with my soup. Not bad for your first ride of the year, eh? - opqs dude

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

smcclaw wrote: »
    Superbly organised event with great marshalling and advance warning of all hazards. The carrot cake was yummy but it was the coffee at the start that was most warmly welcomed by my sleepy head.

Thanks also to the Blanch Wheelies for the tow around all day!

Likely you that towed The wheelies around.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Very well run event.
    Thanks from all The Blanch Wheelies.
    We thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Yeah sure hope the injured lad from lakeside feels ok today. Nice bunch. He did seem ok at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fig roller

Great day out, rain kept away (just about) and a nice tailwind home

Carrot cake recipe was even improved on last year

Well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Good event. Its tough for the first of the season with a cat climb 0.2km in! A couple of things i liked about this event , the small sticker for the bike which showed the cat climbs/foodstops/waterstops etc, the soup in laragh - great idea for the day, food at the end - i love a guilt free burger! I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

what an amazing event, thanks very much Orwell! so much fun. amazing marshalling and food and buzz
    really sorry to hear there was maybe two crashes. Really hope the guys from Lakeside recover quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

The marshalling was indeed superb. Thanks Orwell. Worth travelling from Cork.
    Twas my first time cycling in Wicklow. Some serious climbs there. The hardest one seemed to be that long drag between Laragh and the Sally Gap, after the waterfall. I couldn't figure out if it was flat or inclined, and never seemed to find the right gear for it. I couldn't see sh1t either. Boy was I glad when that bit ended.
    Here's a tip: dont do it on a cyclocross.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jogger

2nd time doing Orwell Randonnee (1st one last year), and I have to say it again lived up to its reputation. Tough, Rewarding, Fun, Friendly, Brilliantly Organised.
    Best thing about it is the marshals & organisers. They are in all the important places and they make their presence clear - you can understand their directions/warnings from a long way off (no having to guess what their message is). And they are very friendly and cheerful while doing it. Great event.
    I had a few firsts (for me) on a sportif during this years Owrell Randonnee :
    1. Was offered a glass of wine in Laragh, to the man that made me that offer, I have to say "Magic", and I'd have accepted it if the weather was warm and sunny. Only it was raining at the time and the idea of a glass of wine did not gel very well with the prospect of climbing up by Glenmacnass into the mountains in the wet. Next year perhaps?
    2. Approaching Glenmacnass, a couple of marshals pulled alongside in a car, rolled down the window, and asked if I needed anything, food, water, etc. I didn't, but I really did feel like a Tour de France cyclist chatting with his Directeur Sportif. Brilliant feeling and thank you for that. (I did suggest that a chance to hold onto their door handle and cadge a tow to the top would be nice, but they thought I was joking and they drove off laughing. I'm not too sure if I was joking.....)
    Saw the guy who crashed on the way down Sallygap (bad place to fall), ambulance was with him, hopefully all is well there...
    Thanks again, Orwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orwell Randonnee

Folks

Just working on sorting out the photos. Should have them soon

Regards

Orwell Randonnee

Folks

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who took part in the Orwell Randonnee this year, I hope that you all enjoyed yourself (well as much as you could doing 140km across the Wicklow mountains!) and we look forward to seeing you all again next year.

A number of people have commented on the crashes on the event and it is great to see all of the good wishes that people are passing onto the injured parties, what I can say is that all parties are recovering at home.

The following are a number of links to the numerous photos that were taken over the duration of the day – if anyone is looking for a copy of the file to have it printed just drop me a mail and I will send you on the file.

There are two more sets of photos to be uploaded – once I get them I will post another entry here with the links.

" Apologies - Due to restriction on the site I'm unable to load the links - if you check the Orwell website on the Forum section you will get all of the links - If somebody can post the links here please feel free to copy them"

Once again on behalf of the Orwell Randonnee I would like to thank you all for taking part in the event and the positive comments that have been posted about the event, without you, the “participants” the event would not be possible (and we would have a lot of Carrot cake to eat!!).

Looking forward to seeing you all again next year.

Orwell Randonnee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just to echo the general sentiments - the Randonnée seems to get better year on year, with every aspect given care and attention. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Well done and many thanks to all involved in running the event on Saturday. It was my first time doing it and it was a great day on the bike. By far the best feed stop of any sportive I've been in and lots of nice touches e.g. The 'team' car asking if you needed anything as we went up past Glenmacnass.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Thoroughly enjoyed the day right up until a major mechanical put an end to my gallop. Many thanks to Peter from Orwell support team who picked me up and brought me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

This was my first time doing this event and it most certainly did live up to its reputation. Brilliantly organised and marshalled throughout and there was a great atmosphere at the college (before and after), on the road and at the foodstop, which surpassed even the loftiest of expectations!

Very good set of photos too! Thanks to everyone involved for the great treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Best picture from the event...

IMG_2409-ERASER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Thanks to the organisers from Reservoir Cogs, thoroughly enjoyable day

if there were to be one suggestion id make it would be to allow for some sort of veggie burger or grilled cheese sandwich at the end. i was millin it off anyway home, but would be nice to have something along with chips. 300 people: i cant be the only non meat eater.

just suggesting. good day etc as i said already

Hi

The mystery of the photo above has been solved - it appears to be the Face from picture 102 on the body of 105 - and more importantly the Arm is belonged to 105

Regards

Orwell Randonnee

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Only getting to post my thanks now to all at Orwell for organising and running a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

A few more photos from the day.

Taken from my marshall points:
    - Tilbradden woods (Pine forest descent)
    - bottom of Wicklow Gap at Laragh turn
    - below Sally Gap at turn to Liam Horner descent
    - various places on Sally Gap from Sarah's Batmobile

flic.kr/s/aHsjY3u3SC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was talking to one of the Randonnée organisers last week, and I never realised that all the leftover sandwiches go to the Capuchin Friars (http://www.capuchinfranciscans.ie/What%20We%20Do/Capuchin%20Day%20Centre/). Which deserves a round of applause I think.

Though I heard rumours Orwell keep the carrot cake for themselves.

Advertisement