Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rimfire & Centrefire comp Sporting Rifle - August 23rd - MNSCI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Oh sorry I get you now I still like the idea of 100 to 300 jump with lot of points for your first 300 shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I had a great time at the shoot last weekend - really brilliant fun.

Without being negative, I thought some of the rifles were a bit "bench-resty" if you know what I mean :-)

I was also surprised that you could use front sand bags.

The thing I would do different would be to make it a bit more "deerhunting-like". I wouldn't allow sand bags - maybe just bipods or backpacks, like you'd have on a hunt.
    Maybe have a 300 yard section.

I wouldn't have anything past 300 yards though.

I thought the number of rounds fired was perfect.

Thanks to all involved!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I had a great time at the shoot last weekend - really brilliant fun.
    Good to hear.
    Without being negative, I thought some of the rifles were a bit "bench-resty" if you know what I mean :-)
    I know exactly what you mean and i'm as guilty as the next person for having such a rifle. The thing is people are moving away from the "traditional" rifles associated with deer hunting. Now the rifles don't have to be deer rifles only, but the idea of a 6.5lb rig (you know the traditional style hunters rifle setup) is not as common as it used to be. Most lads i know are shooting rigs that weigh a minimum of 10lb and have some modification done and have stock, scopes, etc that you would normally associate with target shooting. However the comp is "blind" to what lads use to the greater extent.
    I was also surprised that you could use front sand bags.
    That was to allow lads with no bipods or that don't use it some sort of front rest without actually having a benchrest style rest.
    The thing I would do different would be to make it a bit more "deerhunting-like". I wouldn't allow sand bags - maybe just bipods or backpacks, like you'd have on a hunt.
    Maybe have a 300 yard section.

I wouldn't have anything past 300 yards though.

I thought the number of rounds fired was perfect.

Thanks for that. I'll add them to the list of ideas i'm collecting.

However i would say it again that with STAGS shoots, McQueens, Deer stalker shoots, etc, this comp is designed as a simple enough sporter class looking for accuracy and precision at various distances without it falling into F-Class style and yet not treading on the other sporting comps by having kneeling, etc. IOW it needs to be able to stand as it's own comp and not some bastardised version of an existing comp.

I've a full list of ideas and am heading over to the range shortly to pick up the Father's new rifle. When there i'll pass on the ideas i have so far and let the lads mull it over. Hopefully we'll have a format within the next week or so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jmcp

what is required from shooters from the north

Of the top of my head:
    1. European Firearms Pass
    2. Non resident license application
    3. Letter of "support" from the range
    4. Apply to local Super (in Tullamore)
    5. Await license
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

As per the title of the post i have a provisional format for the shoot on August 23rd. As always this may change slightly on the day, but for the moment this is how it will be run.

There will be two competitions run concurrently on the same day. One will be a centrefire competition and the other a rimfire competition. I have split the notices into two posts so there is not too much info in the one post. They are below this post.

1st prize for the centrefire competition is a brand new .308 cal bolt action rifle. There will be awards and prizes for the first and second runner up.

1st prize for the rimfire competition is a brand new .308 cal bolt action rifle. There will be awards and prizes for the first and second runner up.

Registration will be in the clubhouse from 9:30 am with the competition starting at 10:30 am sharp.

Centrefire Competition

Distance (yds) | Amount of Rounds | Total for Distance | Position | Rested / Unrested |
    Note
    |
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested
    |
    Cold Bore Shot
    |
    |
    3 & 3
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested
    |
    Fire 3, reload, Fire 3
    |
    |
    3 & 3
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested
    |
    Fire 3, reload, Fire 3
    |
    |
    3 & 3
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested & unrested
    |
    Fire 3 rested, reload, Fire 3 Unrested
    |

Rested means bipod/sandbag ONLY. NO front rests. NO back bags. Unrested means no bipod/sandbag/backbag and all rifles will be held free hand. All bipods will be required to be removed or folded up. NO legs hanging down.

Total round count for the centrefire comp will be 19 rounds. Re-entry may be possible. It will depend on the interest and turn out on the day.

Rimfire competition

The rimfire competition will be split into two categories, .22lr & hmr/wmr, but all will be counted as the one competition.

.22lr ONLY.

Distance (mtrs) | Amount of Rounds | Total for Distance | Position | Rested / Unrested |
    Note
    |
    20 & 20
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested & unrested
    |
    20 rds, rested, on first target & 20 rds, unrested, on second target
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested
    |
    20 rds at one target
    |

HMR & WMR ONLY

Distance (yds) | Amount of Rounds | Total for Distance | Position | Rested / Unrested |
    Note
    |
    20 & 20
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested & Unrested
    |
    20 rds, rested, on first target & 20 rds, unrested, on second target
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Prone
    |
    Rested
    |
    20 rds at one target
    |

Rested means bipod/sandbag ONLY. No front rests. No Rear bags. Unrested means no bipod/sandbag/backbag and all rifles will be held free hand. All bipods will be required to be removed or folded up. NO legs hanging down.

Total round count for the rimfire comp will be 60 rounds. Re-entry may be possible. It will depend on the interest and turn out on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

When you say rested bipod only does that exclude front bags?

Sorry dude. Posts edited.

Bipod or simple front sandbag. NO front rest and NO back bag.

I'm working on finalising the issues with muzzle breaks and single shots. I reckon it'll fine to use them, but just want to get a definite answer on that before i post it here.

• Advertisement

To help lads out both for the upcoming competition and the upcoming Deer season the MNSCI are offering two "Zeroing days" for both members and non members alike.

The two days will be Saturday the 15th August 2015 and Saturday the 29th August 2015. You may use either or both days. All ranges will be made available for the entire day (for non members there will be a nominal fee to cover cost of targets, etc. and it will be small). There will be range officers and staff available to assist with shooting, equipment, help, advice, etc.

Anyone interested need only turn up on the day, produce their insurance details, and get shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

I usually shoot the 100 and 200 yards 300 is a bit much for me its hard to keep everybody happy, best of luck with the comp

That is the idea of the 300 detail. Take people out of their comfort zone.

Most people can shoot 100 and 200 with a relative degree of ease. The results of the last comp showed this. I regularly shoot 100 and 200 then jump straight to 800+. I rarely shoot 300 and while i have an idea, i don't know what my drops are so will have to get over and check it out.

As you said we are not going to please everyone, but (and if you understand what i'm trying to say) we're not trying to. We want people to push themselves, to shoot outside their comfort distances, and depending on the feedback we'll continue these shoots and develop them.

There is already talk of having another shoot beforr Christmas (sometime in the first week of December). We want to make it a huge shoot. With details ranging from 100 -600, 800 - 1000, 50 -200, etc, etc. It;ll be held in conjunction with the annual F-Class and benchrest shoots the MNSCI hold each year, but this time it'll all be open shooting so anyone can have a go at any distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I think the 300 is a great idea, tiny bit of wind would be nice too...
    I'd struggle with the unrested part but that makes it interesting.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

" questions,
    Will a sling be allowed for the prone shots without bipod/bag?
    is the range yards or meters?

Will a sling be allowed for the prone shots without bipod/bag?
    No. Unrested means completed unrested. Also many people don't have slings for unrested, prone shooting, so to allow it and only have a few that can use it is an unfair advantage for some. To make it a level playing field its none for anyone.
    is the range yards or meters?
    Cenrtrefire course will be on the Creedmoor range which is yards.
    Rimfire course will be on the sheltered range which is metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Cheers for that.I had planned on making the last comp but at the last minute couldnt make it .Il def make this one lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

Can i enter in both rimfire .22lr and centerfire on the day ?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry dude. Posts edited.

Bipod or simple front sandbag. NO front rest and NO back bag.

I'm working on finalising the issues with muzzle breaks and single shots. I reckon it'll fine to use them, but just want to get a definite answer on that before i post it here.

Any update on the finalized rules?

• Advertisement

Single shot - not allowed.

Muzzle breaks - to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Looking forward to this, if the hurling fixtures are kind to me!

Cass, would you know if the range is available to use for zeroing/practice on Saturday??

It is indeed.

I posted a notice above about the range being available on the 15th and 29th. I, accidentally, excluded this Saturday as i thought the comp was on this Saturday. I got this Saturday and the date of the 23rd mixed up as the same day when in fact the 23rd is the Sunday.

Luckily i only posted the comp was the 23rd and never mentioned a day (until i edited it two days ago) so hopefully everyone knows the comp is STILL ON this Sunday the 23rd.

Lovely, so just rock up on Saturday with the usuals (insurance etc) and they will let me shoot.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭badaj0z

Single shot - not allowed.

Does this apply to both center fire and rim fire?

patsat wrote: »
    Lovely, so just rock up on Saturday with the usuals (insurance etc) and they will let me shoot.

Thanks for that.
    Yup.
    badaj0z wrote: »
    Does this apply to both center fire and rim fire?
    Yup.

Sporting in this case is mag fed only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭badaj0z

The weather forecast for Tullamore tomorrow shows 19 to 30mm of rain in the morning and 8 to 14mm in the afternoon. Like most shooters, I am used to getting wet but these conditions are not conducive to enjoyment. I know that the C/F shoot was planned for the outdoor range but is the .22 shoot planned for the covered ranges? The covered ranges also feature 100/200/300 ranges(to the best of my memory) so could the C/F shoot be switched to these? I know that there are less firing points but you could run all 3 distance details at the same time?

Advertisement