Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Indie games is point blank not a one-size fits all descriptor, though. All it refers to is games produced independently, not a 'type' of game. They can range from insanely in-depth RPGs to abstract and experimental titles, as well as pretty much everything in between. Dismissing all 'indie games' in one foul swoop is a wild generalisation :)

I'm not the one classifying them. The games are ones presented as Indie games by the media and continually referred to as such. In the taxonomy of video games they may have been incorrectly labelled, I'm just using the current nomenclature.

I could have been more specific but I'm gathering most on the board know what I refer to when I say "Indie games". I provided examples too to further clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unpopular? Find me someone that thinks otherwise and I'll slap them.

They're nice, but I don't think they're as good as made out to be.

I'm not fond of the octagonal analog stick gates and the shoulder buttons depress too far before they engage.

Still, definitely leaps ahead of the N64 shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Red dead , Gta 5 and Max Payne 3 I found to be very boring uninteresting games

Portal 2 has piss poor jokes and the long corridor disrupted the flow of the game which left a bitter taste in my mouth

I do Not really care for mario games

The last of us is overrated as ****

Uncharted 3 was awful

Sonic adventure is better than mario 64

Just, no. I liked the Sonic games as a kid but in fairness you just hold right on the dpad, hit jump the odd time and he does 90% of the work for you, Super Mario World pisses all over every Sonic game.

Are we really having a Sonic/Mario argument in 2014? :pac:

Agree with Halo being meh, it's grand, the multiplayer was a laugh, but it's hailed as this amazing fps game when its not. It was just better than other console fps games at the time, and even then Timesplitters 2 was miles better than it.

Burnout 3 is the best racing game ever made, it's crying out for a HD remake, arcade racing perfection.

It is a truly miserable controller.

At least - and this is a vaguely unpopular opinion of its own - Nintendo followed it up with what is among the greatest input devices in the history of video gaming:

The cube controller was indeed amazing, and it was such an underrated console. Resi remake, Metroid, Rogue Squadron, Mario Sunshine (I liked it!) Wind Waker, Paper Mario, Ikaruga to name but a few killer titles.

You really just don't get it do you.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

God of War 3 wasn't great especially in comparison to 2 and the PSP games.

Red dead , Gta 5 and Max Payne 3 I found to be very boring uninteresting games

Portal 2 has piss poor jokes and the long corridor disrupted the flow of the game which left a bitter taste in my mouth

I do Not really care for mario games

The last of us is overrated as ****

Uncharted 3 was awful

Sonic adventure is better than mario 64

Agree with Red Dead, dragged myself over the line with it.

God of War 3 wasn't great especially in comparison to 2 and the PSP games.

Agree, gorgeous looking game though, had some great setpieces like the Kronos boss fight but a lot of it was forgettable compared to the previous PS2 games, I think GOW2 is one of the best games on the system. I actually enjoyed Dante's Inferno more than GOW3 even though it's a shameless ripoff.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bioshock was fairly boring for me, couldn't make it through the first game. Still intend to go back to it at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've nothing against consoles but playing a first person shooter with a controller is sacrilege.

Never, ever understood the huge love for the Borderlands games. Thought they were dull as shìt and multiplayer was too focused on looting and looking for crates.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bioshock was fairly boring for me, couldn't make it through the first game. Still intend to go back to it at some point though.

AAA

Blasphemy :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've nothing against consoles or the games that are exclusive to them but playing a first person shooter with a controller is sacrilege.

My unpopular opinion is that you're overstating things slightly :P

I acknowledge a mouse/keyboard is better in terms of accuracy and that but it's not really an issue when no-one else is using them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Are you talking about Jrpg style turn based combat or in general? I understand where the hate for Jrpg turn based coming from, but turn based system in games are great. I think my most favourite games are all turn based. :o

Turn based in general. Firstly, the idea of standing there waiting for some bar to fill so you can attack riles me greatly. ie: in FF VIII (or any of them) Cloud has this massive sword, so just cut the mo-fo's up instead of waiting! Secondly, the hybrid system (thank you Google) while making it appear non-turn based is still, predominantly, turn based. That's why i didn't even get to the bridge in the first parts of KotOR. Just don't like them! Can't think of any game where i enjoyed turn-based combat. Was Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War turn based or real time? I think it was real time so that's why i enjoyed it.
    I'd be more inclined to say that real time battle systems are terrible and I don't like them (I'd probably be in the minority there). Never enjoyed the battle system of a real time RPG like Baldur's Gate or even Mass Effect. I prefer the strategy that turn based affords the player. Even the real time ones I do like such as Xenoblade and Secret of Mana are pseudo turn based.

BTW Final Fantasy's turn based system is not very good and not a good barometer of how good turn based can be. For that you'd have to look to stuff like Shin Megami Tensei or Grandia (which for me is the pinnacle of RPG battle systems).

As above, i don't like any of the ways it's implemented. I want to control my character and my immediate input is what decides what the character does, immediately. I just don't like this whole strategy and waiting part of combat. Let me at 'em with this massive axe i found!!! I'll have a look at the 2 you mentioned, but i wouldn't hold my breath. Opposite to you, i really enjoyed the fighting in ME. Different strokes!
    I'd say that's unpopular yeah. Most people would say turn based is boring or maybe even not truly a video game - but wanting it to be erased by saying it should have no place in video games even when millions of people buy and enjoy them it is a bit wut. I don't like it therefore it shouldn't exist? It's like saying marble madness is the only real kinda board game because of its type and all the turn-based ones should be gone.

So, it's an unpopular opinion then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

While I enjoyed Last of Us, it was nowhere as good as people make it out to be. Same with Bioshock Infinite

Origin is not that bad and has some better features than Steam, they certainly have better customer support

Halo is rubbish

I really don't get Super Smash Bros

Super Mario Sunshine had brilliant platforming mechanics, better than Mario Galaxy is some ways (but the blue coins ruin Sunshine a lot, Galaxy was the better game overall)

The dualshock controller is rubbish, DS4 is an improvement but still very poor

The Wii U gamepad is one of the best controllers I've used. The analog sticks are really nice, the ABXY buttons and dpad are the best around

Mass Effect 1 was better than 2 (haven't played 3 yet)

The Gamecube had a much better games lineup than the original Xbox

Star Wars The Old Republic wasn't a bad game, when you treat it as a single player experience

Oblivion, Skyrim bore me

GTA San Andreas is my least favourite of the 3d gta games (although I haven't played 5 yet)

Zelda Twilight Princess was a great game, better than Wind Waker and Skyward Sword

I can't stand any of the Metal Gear Solid games

The new Tomb Raider was more fun than the original, I think Legend was the first Tomb Raider game I actually enjoyed

I could probably come up with more later :)

I acknowledge a mouse/keyboard is better in terms of accuracy and that but it's not really an issue when no-one else is using them imo.

It is when you've grown up using the superior control scheme. When you try to get through a single player FPS/TPS game on console you can barely make it through normal difficulty because you can't aim properly while on mouse/keyboard you play through it at the hardest difficulty.

abbir wrote: »
    It is when you've grown up using the superior control scheme. When you try to get through a single player FPS/TPS game on console you can barely make it through normal difficulty because you can't aim properly while on mouse/keyboard you play through it at the hardest difficulty.

I went the other way, grew up with mouse / keyboard.

Now if I can get a game-pad in the my hand I would jump at the chance. Just gone lazy, would rather sit on me lazyboy than sit propped up on the PC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

tok9 wrote: »
    Super Smash Bros... I do not enjoy that game at all and am baffled by how big it appears to be.

45.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely that means the console fps are harder and therefore console fps players are the superior gamers

First experience of FPS was PC, played Wolfensin, AvP and Doom to death in my teens. Only started playing them on consoles in the last 5 or 6 years and only play on the highest difficulty settings in single player, I think you just need to git gud :pac:
    I'm sorry I just think the phrase "git gud" is hilarious

surely that means the console fps are harder and therefore console fps players are the superior gamers

Expecting someone to say that, doesn't really make sense though when quite often you'd be talking about the exact same game. Put someone that has never used a mouse/keyboard before with the combination and see how they get on.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I went the other way, grew up with mouse / keyboard.

Now if I can get a game-pad in the my hand I would jump at the chance. Just gone lazy, would rather sit on me lazyboy than sit propped up on the PC.

I'm an extremely lazy person. My seat for playing PC games is the most comfortable one I have. Even if I want to play on the couch, my mouse/keyboard comes with me for shooters.
    First experience of FPS was PC, played Wolfensin, AvP and Doom to death in my teens. Only started playing them on consoles in the last 5 or 6 years and only play on the highest difficulty settings in single player, I think you just need to git gud
    I'm sorry I just think the phrase "git gud" is hilarious

My first FPS game was Wolfenstein 3d. I'm plenty good at FPS games thank you. Why should I start playing them all the time with an inferior control scheme? Surely progression means things should get better. If for some reason I play an FPS on a console, I do play on hard now, but I don't enjoy it. I feel I'm battling the control scheme and not playing the game.

I would like to point out, I've been using gamepads/controllers since the NES so it's not as if a controller is an alien concept to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

The PC gaming revival is a lie - all you actually get is better console ports and early access sandbox survival games, plus indie games people only buy in 2 euro bundles.

;)

..at least it sometimes feels like that.

Expecting someone to say that, doesn't really make sense though when quite often you'd be talking about the exact same game. Put someone that has never used a mouse/keyboard before with the combination and see how they get on.

I'm an extremely lazy person. My seat for playing PC games is the most comfortable one I have. Even if I want to play on the couch, my mouse/keyboard comes with me for shooters.

That might work for me in some cases but if I'm playing a twitch shooter (CS:GO for example) I cant concentrate unless I sit forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭SM01

Half-life 2 is meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

SM01 wrote: »
    Half-life 2 is meh.

/waits

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Console FPS games compensate with very lenient aim assist. Before Halo came about and introduced aim assist for console FPS games I remember aiming being extremely difficult. (Actually Goldeneye introduced aim assist but the controller was so crap that if you could see the enemy the sights would jump straight to them :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Console FPS games compensate with very lenient aim assist. Before Halo came about and introduced aim assist for console FPS games I remember aiming being extremely difficult. (Actually Goldeneye introduced aim assist but the controller was so crap that if you could see the enemy the sights would jump straight to them :) )

Suits me. I'm utterly cack at FPS games as it takes me ages and an eternity or three to aim my gun. I'll take any aim assists that's going. Am currently playing Borderlands 1 on my XBox and loving it.

My first FPS game was Wolfenstein 3d. I'm plenty good at FPS games thank you. Why should I start playing them all the time with an inferior control scheme? Surely progression means things should get better. If for some reason I play an FPS on a console, I do play on hard now, but I don't enjoy it. I feel I'm battling the control scheme and not playing the game.

I would like to point out, I've been using gamepads/controllers since the NES so it's not as if a controller is an alien concept to me.

I was being tongue in cheek, didn't really mean to insinuate you aren't any good but it's just two sides of the same coin for me. If you're used to a pad you'll not like using keyboard and mouse and vise versa. If you spend enough time using any of them you'll feel comfortable with them at some point. I fully acknowledge in a straight fight against each other between two players of similar skill levels the one with the keyboard has an advantage but I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And personally I've never had too much trouble making the transition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I didn't like Mass Effect at all.

Can't get into online gaming as the learning curve is stupidly difficult. This might be me showing my age though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Borderlands 2 is aload of arse and another game with piss poor jokes

Sonic all star racing transformed is a better game than Mario Kart

Bioshock Infinite is overrated

Zelda Skyward sword was a disappointment

Indie scene praise is blown out of proportion , there is alot of absolute crap coming out of the scene and out of all the indie games I played last generation only a handful really blew me away.

Mass effect series is over rated

Ratchet and clank games are not that great

Crash bandicoot is not that great

I believe Virtual reality oclous rift and project Morpheus is a fad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are too many games these days

When I was a kid we had one game and we were happy.

Also, 'achievements' ruin games.
    If the game was good enough you'd get a natural sense of achievement just from playing it. Now people feel they have to slog through hours of drudgery to unlock achievements and improve their 'gamerscore'. (for some reason)

For example, in Battlefield 4, Most of the 'achievements' are in the Single player campaign, and most of the players have no interest in the single player campaign, but if they want the 'achievements' they have to play through it multiple times.

Advertisement