Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Yeah, even The Walking Dead calls them 'Walkers'. Do all zombie movies take place in a parallel universe where zombie movies never existed? Whatever about when the original 'Return of the Living Dead' film came out but if there was a zombie outbreak to happen now, everyone would automatically be aiming for the head. I do find that a bit annoying in modern zombie films or modern non-sparkly vampire films where people supposedly seem to know nothing about the mythology and then react surprisingly to things everyone knows. A bit more self awareness in those types of movies wouldn't go astray.

well they'd be very very short and boring movies then

"200 corpses in a small american town have come back to life mr president, they're biting and attacking people and those people seem to be rising from the dead themselves"

"fair enough, send down some marines and tell them to shoot them all in the head. shouldn't take them too long"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

FFVIII is better than FFVII. Squall > Cloud. That said, Tidus > Squall.

MGS2 easily has the most replay value of the MGS series. Story was a bit gash, but far more entertaining.

Halo is a bog standard, fit for purpose FPS. It did not redefine a genre, it just joined it.

Someone mentioned how Online FPS just put people in a trance. Absolutely spot on, and that's coming from someone that can appreciate has been hypnotised playing COD over the years.

I don't know if it's unpopular, but Uncharted 2 was the best of the series, by some distance. The third had some great set pieces, but was nowhere near the standard of the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Turn-based fighting has no place in Gaming. It's terrible and ruins what could be a good game and, as such, could never get into the FF series so i think they're all pants.

Also, whatever fighting system is used in KotOR - started it recently on recommendation (of some of you fine folks) and i despise the fighting system, it's like a step below turn based, so i dislike the games now.

Sonic, and his games, are boring. Hold right, press jump a few times...

Dark Souls gets too much praise.

Halo is terrible. All of them.

CoD multiplayer is the only mp to keep me coming back for more (except Ghosts, that was terrible), ergo best mp game 9specifically, MW1).

Graphics matter to a certain degree; no matter how good a game is if it looks dated it's not very hard to play it or get any enjoyment from it. I'm no graphics snob, but some games just didn't stand the test of time and it can ruin rose-tinted memories (I'm looking at you, Goldeneye).

I'm sure i'll think of more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Red dead , Gta 5 and Max Payne 3 I found to be very boring uninteresting games

Portal 2 has piss poor jokes and the long corridor disrupted the flow of the game which left a bitter taste in my mouth

I do Not really care for mario games

The last of us is overrated as ****

Uncharted 3 was awful

Sonic adventure is better than mario 64

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Infected & Zombies;

Infected in the last of us; Intelligent - Fast moving - have various stages of infection & mutation, with a more realistic approach via Cordyceps Brain infection.

Zombies - George A Romero - Slow moving - Thousands all huddled in a swarm - Dumb as **** -Zombies die only when their brain is destroyed. Zombies are dead. They are walking corpses. On the other hand, infected are living beings that have been infected by some pathogen.

You really just don't get it do you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do Not really care for mario games

Ah here, you keep telling me that and then you go play one of them and come back to me saying... 'yeah I changedmy mind, that was really good'.

Fecking Sonic fanboy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I don't understand the fuss about Indie games... phew, glad I got that off my chest:)

Any I've played, which are usually the highly rated ones like Limbo, Flower, Pixeljunk, Dead Nation etc., just feel amateurish.

They are the gaming equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes and I think they get overly generous reviews (and disproportionately high ratings).

I was heavily involved in the original Little Big Planet community and some of the stuff that was being produced there was easily as good as the top-rated Indie games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would like to emphasise I do genuinely love turn-based combat - at its best, a full hour or more can pass without you noticing in the midst of a single intense, challenging battle full of strategy, twists and turnarounds.

The issue I have with poorly considered random encounters is that they can make exploration an absolute chore, and make you simply want to progress to the next major fight, town or story development. Bravely Default does a great job at minimising the frustration while retaining random encounters, whereas games like Persona 3/4 or Ni No Kuni significantly improve the situation by having the 'monsters' exist in the world, offering the player some warning or the potential opportunity to bypass them entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Turn-based fighting has no place in Gaming.

Graphics matter to a certain degree; no matter how good a game is if it looks dated it's not very hard to play it or get any enjoyment from it. I'm no graphics snob, but some games just didn't stand the test of time and it can ruin rose-tinted memories (I'm looking at you, Goldeneye).

Not getting at you or anything but... After Skyrim came out, I read a lot of complaints that the AI characters weren't realistic enough and the mouths didn't move in the correct way etc. I mean, how about they leave their mom's basement once in a while and go and meet real people instead of pestering the game's designers to make fake people look more realistic for them to interact with?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Turn-based fighting has no place in Gaming. It's terrible and ruins what could be a good game and, as such, could never get into the FF series so i think they're all pants.

Also, whatever fighting system is used in KotOR - started it recently on recommendation (of some of you fine folks) and i despise the fighting system, it's like a step below turn based, so i dislike the games now.

Sonic, and his games, are boring. Hold right, press jump a few times...

Dark Souls gets too much praise.

Halo is terrible. All of them.

CoD multiplayer is the only mp to keep me coming back for more (except Ghosts, that was terrible), ergo best mp game 9specifically, MW1).

Are you talking about Jrpg style turn based combat or in general? I understand where the hate for Jrpg turn based coming from, but turn based system in games are great. I think my most favourite games are all turn based. :o
    I loved Jagged Alliance 2 and 2.5 and it would be a perfect example how you can destroy franchise by trying to remove turn based system in sequal.
    Fallout 2, my favourite game of all times. Pure turn based game.
    X com, Civilisation, Heroes franchise are amazing turn based games.

• Advertisement

I'd be more inclined to say that real time battle systems are terrible and I don't like them (I'd probably be in the minority there). Never enjoyed the battle system of a real time RPG like Baldur's Gate or even Mass Effect. I prefer the strategy that turn based affords the player. Even the real time ones I do like such as Xenoblade and Secret of Mana are pseudo turn based.

BTW Final Fantasy's turn based system is not very good and not a good barometer of how good turn based can be. For that you'd have to look to stuff like Shin Megami Tensei or Grandia (which for me is the pinnacle of RPG battle systems).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah here, you keep telling me that and then you go play one of them and come back to me saying... 'yeah I changedmy mind, that was really good'.

Fecking Sonic fanboy :D

you listen here boy-oh I try to bloody like them and then what happens turn them off and play something else , how long you been telling me to get mario 3d world 5-6 months ? and I still cant be bothered :P

Damn right I am a sonic fanboy :L

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gah, the whole zombie not zombie thing is a joke. They're all zombies end of regardless of whether they can run or how they ended up that way be it through a voodoo curse or a virus or a sumatran rat monkey. It's no different to the way other monsters have been portrayed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,513 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The N64 is an awful console with only a handful of games which are still relevant.

It's controller should never have seen the light of day.

The ratio between those who remember the console fondly and those who had it at their first console (therefore have their judgement clouded by nostalgia and rose tinted glasses) is 1:1.

Ocarina of Time is overrated :pac:

Bravely Default does a great job at minimising the frustration while retaining random encounters, whereas games like Persona 3/4 or Ni No Kuni significantly improve the situation by having the 'monsters' exist in the world, offering the player some warning or the potential opportunity to bypass them entirely.

I can live with random encounters as long as the encounter rate is low or in the case of some games like Etrian Odyssey which gives an indication of when an encounter is likely to take place. My main pet hate is something like Ni No Kuni where the battle system takes too bloody long and kills the pace of the game.

Still I agree that unless you are making something deliberately old school like Etrian Odyssey then there's no place for random encounters in games especially considering that Earthbound and Chrono Trigger didn't have them as far back as 1994 on the SNES! Even games like Bravely Default and Etrian Odyssey at least make modern concessions for random battles to make them less infuriating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

penev10 wrote: »
    I don't understand the fuss about Indie games... phew, glad I got that off my chest:)

Any I've played, which are usually the highly rated ones like Limbo, Flower, Pixeljunk, Dead Nation etc., just feel amateurish.

They are the gaming equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes and I think they get overly generous reviews (and disproportionately high ratings).

I was heavily involved in the original Little Big Planet community and some of the stuff that was being produced there was easily as good as the top-rated Indie games.

Indie games is point blank not a one-size fits all descriptor, though. All it refers to is games produced independently, not a 'type' of game. They can range from insanely in-depth RPGs to abstract and experimental titles, as well as pretty much everything in between. Dismissing all 'indie games' in one foul swoop is a wild generalisation :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    sumatran rat monkey.

I'm sick to death of zombies but I'd kill for another film where the zombies are caused by a sumatran rat monkey.

you listen here boy-oh I try to bloody like them and then what happens turn them off and play something else , how long you been telling me to get mario 3d world 5-6 months ? and I still cant be bothered :P

Damn right I am a sonic fanboy :L

I'm not taking that from a man that would rather play Sonic '06 and claim it's under rated than Mario 64 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Gah, the whole zombie not zombie thing is a joke.
    Agreed. How many different rule-sets and origins have been attributed to vampires down through the decades and yet it never causes much debate.

Zombies is as zombies does.

(I just prefer the slow, menacing Romero ones.)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Assassins Creed games are boring and repetitive.
    Metal Gear Solid series is overrated, except for 2 & Splinter Cell are superior games.
    I don't get the hype around Pokemon.
    EA are not so bad and I don't mind Origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gah, the whole zombie not zombie thing is a joke. They're all zombies end of regardless of whether they can run or how they ended up that way be it through a voodoo curse or a virus or a sumatran rat monkey. It's no different to the way other monsters have been portrayed over the years.

For me its tomato or tomatoe stuff with zombie thingy. The only reason they stoped calling Zombies - Zombies, so it would feel more fresh. As there are plenty of people who go "Ah another zombie movie/TV series/game", wheres now they go "UUUUU a new movie/TV Series/Game about some monsters, which were humans before, but became mindless creatures ( NOT ZOMBIES!!! ) and try to eat the survivors?! SWEET! "

Last of Us 2: Electric Boogaloo: Wrath of the sparkling zombies

You heard it here first people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ocarina of Time is overrated :pac:

Ah here, reported for trolling :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not taking that from a man that would rather play Sonic '06 and claim it's under rated than Mario 64 :P

least sonic can get some action , mario still picking up lose change and being fed cake by peach after all this time :L

Oh here's a biggie. Feel free to tear me apart:

I quite enjoyed FFXIII and think it had one of the series best battle systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Super Smash Bros... I do not enjoy that game at all and am baffled by how big it appears to be.

And again.. because everyone seems to be going against it. MGS3 is easily the best MGS game all round.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's controller should never have seen the light of day.

It is a truly miserable controller.

At least - and this is a vaguely unpopular opinion of its own - Nintendo followed it up with what is among the greatest input devices in the history of video gaming:

617px-GameCube_controller.png

At least - and this is a vaguely unpopular opinion of its own - Nintendo followed it up with what is among the greatest input devices in the history of video gaming:

Unpopular? Find me someone that thinks otherwise and I'll slap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Turn-based fighting has no place in Gaming.

I'd say that's unpopular yeah. Most people would say turn based is boring or maybe even not truly a video game - but wanting it to be erased by saying it should have no place in video games even when millions of people buy and enjoy them it is a bit wut. I don't like it therefore it shouldn't exist? It's like saying marble madness is the only real kinda board game because of its type and all the turn-based ones should be gone.

Now for my unpopular opinion :D

I think the PS4 and XBOne are objectively bad purchases and likely will be even in years given the state of technological advancement in the areas that push gaming... and that the only current gen console even worth picking up (if you really need a current gen console for some reason) would be the WiiU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

On controllers... I never had a problem with the Dualshock 3 and while I understand people are happy (including me) with the DS4, I didn't realise there was so much hate for the DS3.

Advertisement