Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy Tips and Hints for Pregnant Ladies!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

thesultan wrote: »
    What exercise would yee recommend for someone who is experiencing back pain ?

I'd recommend speaking to your midwife/GP/Consultant as we cannot give medical advice.

Other posters, please do not reply to this post with recommendations, OP needs to seek advice from a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

nikpmup wrote: »
    Arnica passes into breast milk though, so be careful if you plan to breastfeed.

Asked the midwife this at ante natal class and she said its ok during breast feeding, actually she couldnt recommend it highly enough. Think ill still ask at health food shop to be sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

MissFire wrote: »
    Asked the midwife this at ante natal class and she said its ok during breast feeding, actually she couldnt recommend it highly enough. Think ill still ask at health food shop to be sure..

This is not intended as medical advice, but I'd recommend that you ask a pharmacist just to be sure. Staff in health food shops aren't trained in the same way and so it is a lot of responsibility to put on them. Supplements such as arnica don't require any testing at all for them to be sold, so I'd be wary when it comes to babies. webmd says 'Given the lack of evidence about its safety, arnica is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.'

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/arnica

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Tips from my dentist: pregnancy can affect your gum health so make sure to step up your check ups and cleanings. Also if you do get sick, the acid can attack your teeth very strongly so current advice is to rinse very well straight away with lots if water, but wait an hour before brushing or else you are working the acids into your teeth and weakening them. It seemed counterintuitive to me but apparently is true.

fiona-f wrote: »
    Tips from my dentist: pregnancy can affect your gum health so make sure to step up your check ups and cleanings. Also if you do get sick, the acid can attack your teeth very strongly so current advice is to rinse very well straight away with lots if water, but wait an hour before brushing or else you are working the acids into your teeth and weakening them. It seemed counterintuitive to me but apparently is true.

I've been meaning to get my teeth cleaned since I got pregnant but anytime I wash my teeth I am still gagging, so I'm putting it off for fear I'll puke on the dentist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

This is not intended as medical advice, but I'd recommend that you ask a pharmacist just to be sure. Staff in health food shops aren't trained in the same way and so it is a lot of responsibility to put on them. Supplements such as arnica don't require any testing at all for them to be sold, so I'd be wary when it comes to babies. webmd says 'Given the lack of evidence about its safety, arnica is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.'

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/arnica

Isn't it crazy the amount of conflicting advice you're given by people when pregnant ??! Think ill just stay away from it altogether.. I've survived this long through life without it..

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I dunno if this is the right thread but Lidl are selling pregnancy pillows for €10.99 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cherrycola wrote: »
    High strength arnica for after the birth, helps with bruising and healing. I swear it helped me have no issues with my stitches, and I didn't even use the high strength ones, just the normal dose from the health shop.

Homeopathy is rubbish. I didn't take arnica and healed perfectly from two sections. There is no evidence that arnica helps healing in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

lazygal wrote: »
    Homeopathy is rubbish. I didn't take arnica and healed perfectly from two sections. There is no evidence that arnica helps healing in any way.

It's just a tip that someone found helpful, some people find homeopathy to work for them.
    Some people swear by spicy food to bring on labour, some think it's a load of rubbish, but it's nice to hear what people found helpful, there's no need to dismiss other peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    It's just a tip that someone found helpful, some people find homeopathy to work for them.
    Some people swear by spicy food to bring on labour, some think it's a load of rubbish, but it's nice to hear what people found helpful, there's no need to dismiss other peoples opinions.

Similarly, lazy gal was just giving a tip !

• Advertisement

I'm not dismissing opinions. There is no scientific evidence that any homeopathic remedies work, including arnica. In fact, taking products like arnica when there's little or no pharmaceutical quality controls behind manufacturing and administration advice is not good for postpartum women. I'd go on what qualified medical doctors advise you to take not homeopathy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was advised to take arnica post section, but to be honest, I forgot mostly and then didnt bother. After day 5, I was on panadol only, though still a bit tender. But after that I healed quickly and neatly. Less than two years on and my scar is barely visible.

Was it a medical professional who advised taking it? A really bossy midwife told me to take it, but my gp said it had no proven effect on healing.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Was it a medical professional who advised taking it? A really bossy midwife told me to take it, but my gp said it had no proven effect on healing.

Yep, a midwife on the ward. I chucked a few tablets in with my pain relief on the first day or so but after that the baby went to NICU and I used to forget to take them out of my locker.

I was done with pain relief after a week both times and with minimal intervention the scar healed brilliantly.

I'd have to agree with lazygal here, stuff like arnica etc from health shops require no testing to be sold, they don't even have to test if they work and you've no idea what it could do to a little baby (homeopathy is just water but many alt meds contain active ingredients). That isn't my opinion, it is a fact of how supplements and alterative medicines are regulated (or not). As the saying goes, you are entitled to you're own opinions but not your own facts :) In my opinion though, I wouldn't expect drug advice from a midwife as midwives are very well trained and experienced in many things but they aren't trained as pharmacists. I wouldnt want a pharmacist delivering my baby! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I really started to use the pharmacists once I had my first child and was breastfeeding. They're a fantastic yet sadly underused resource in Ireland. They can do a lot more than mix medicines. They have a hales directory (I think that's it's name) and they can check what medicines are/ aren't contraindicated for breastfeeding. I'd tryst a pharmacist even over a gp unless you see your gp referring to this book when prescribing. Regrettably a lot of gps in Ireland are not breastfeeding aware. Any pharmacist ice ever gone to when sick while breastfeeding has taken the time to look up even over the counter drugs to find the one which is compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I second the pharmacist been really helpful he helped my little guy when he was a month old when doctor said he'd be fine!

As for arnica hubby was told by a nurse to take it and well it lasted a few days before he binned them.

As far as I know, the pharmacist is liable for any prescribing mistakes, even if the doc wrote down X and it was the wrong dose or type its still the pharmacist who is responsible to give you the right thing. So they gotta know their stuff.

As an aside, I can't get over the amount of people saying midwives/nurses recommended alt med. That's just scary, God knows what is in half that stuff and as nurses are in a position of authority in health care patients will listen to them. I'm sure its only a few but still, I wonder are they supposed to be doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

As far as I know, the pharmacist is liable for any prescribing mistakes, even if the doc wrote down X and it was the wrong dose or type its still the pharmacist who is responsible to give you the right thing. So they gotta know their stuff.

As an aside, I can't get over the amount of people saying midwives/nurses recommended alt med. That's just scary, God knows what is in half that stuff and as nurses are in a position of authority in health care patients will listen to them. I'm sure its only a few but still, I wonder are they supposed to be doing it.

No nurse or midwife I have ever known has recommended alt medicines. That's not to say there isn't always one tho. But then the same could be said regarding pharmacists, doctors and other health care professionals.

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    No nurse or midwife I have ever known has recommended alt medicines. That's not to say there isn't always one tho. But then the same could be said regarding pharmacists, doctors and other health care professionals.

I was asked why I wasn't taking arnica when I had my baby and I've heard of other nurses and midwives telling postpartum women to take it. No doctor recommended it to me, only nurses.

I was asked why I wasn't taking arnica when I had my baby and I've heard of other nurses and midwives telling postpartum women to take it. No doctor recommended it to me, only nurses.

As I said, there may always be one. And it may not just be nurses. I've had a pharmacist recommend arnica to me before.... The point i was trying to make is that it may not just be nurses or midwives recommending this stuff... Personally I found arnica crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Well you know what they say about opinions.....

Anyway, for the record it was a gp who advised me to take it, she's had lots of ladies who swore by it for healing, also a quick google will bring up lots of hits from numerous irish pregnancy/parenting forums with posts from lots of others ladies who were also advised to take it and found it helped.

Personally I've used arnica for years as I bruise really easily, and it definitely makes a difference to how long a bruise lasts with me.
    But like any medication or hocus pocus remedies, no one is being forced to take it, it's a tip that worked for me so I'd thought I'd share.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Well you know what they say about opinions.....

Anyway, for the record it was a gp who advised me to take it, she's had lots of ladies who swore by it for healing, also a quick google will bring up lots of hits from numerous irish pregnancy/parenting forums with posts from lots of others ladies who were also advised to take it and found it helped.

Personally I've used arnica for years as I bruise really easily, and it definitely makes a difference to how long a bruise lasts with me.
    But like any medication or hocus pocus remedies, no one is being forced to take it, it's a tip that worked for me so I'd thought I'd share.
    Its not an opinion to say arnica has no proven effect on healing bruises or anything else. There is no evidence it helps in any way. Opinions can be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Absolutely, opinions can be wrong.

O sorry, just to add arnica is used and recommended by a number of doctors in Germany and France and is also used in some casualty departments by qualified practicing medical doctors. So perhaps just because you weren't recommended to take this by a doctor it doesn't mean others haven't been.

There have been studies carried out on the uses of arnica for healing and bruising. One study concluded that arnica doesn't provide this healing effect any more than a placebo might. However, as this study only used a sample of 64 people the validity and reliability of it could be questionable.

There are other studies out there which I can't be bothered reading tbh.... I still wouldn't use the stuff.... However, it has to be said that nurses and midwives are not the only health care professionals who perhaps may recommend this homeopathic 'medicine'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

O sorry, just to add arnica is used and recommended by a number of doctors in Germany and France and is also used in some casualty departments by qualified practicing medical doctors. So perhaps just because you weren't recommended to take this by a doctor it doesn't mean others haven't been.

There have been studies carried out on the uses of arnica for healing and bruising. One study concluded that arnica doesn't provide this healing effect any more than a placebo might. However, as this study only used a sample of 64 people the validity and reliability of it could be questionable.

There are other studies out there which I can't be bothered reading tbh.... I still wouldn't use the stuff.... However, it has to be said that nurses and midwives are not the only health care professionals who perhaps may recommend this homeopathic 'medicine'.

I never bothered with that arnica although the domino midwives rave about it! The also went on about some oils you can buy in a set to burn during labour! I think the place is called "nelsons" but they said you need to be careful? I can't really remember I zoned out as I am not into that stuff! One thing I found great was a heat pack in labour, I counldnt find a reusable one so they gave me one and you just keep putting it in microwave. That was pretty much my only pain relief I had and found it very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

You can download free apps on your phone for timing and recording your contractions, waters breaking etc. Much easier than messing around with a watch and pen and paper when the time comes!

Another app I find handy is a flashlight one, useful for nighttime loo trips when I was pregnant, also good now for night feeds (especially when I was in the hospital.)

I also downloaded an app which recorded feeds and nappies etc, but tbh I found a pen and diary was much better for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Always pee before you leave the house! And do your pelvic floor excercises!

• Advertisement

There have been studies carried out on the uses of arniIca for healing and bruising. One study concluded that arnica doesn't provide this healing effect any more than a placebo might. However, as this study only used a sample of 64 people the validity and reliability of it could be questionable.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like I was singling out nurses. I was commenting on previous posts that specifically mentioned alt med advice from nurses. Any health care professional advising it is not being responsible, IMO. Alt med isn't proven to work yet or what dose, so its not for me.

Advertisement