Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-10-look-like-windows-7/]

i think windows 10 can be changed by downloading from stardock make w10 look like windows 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the replies.

I might hold on the installation for a wee while if there's some ongoing issues with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.classicshell.net/

make windows 8.1 look like windows 7.
    there,s similar apps, make windows 10 lok like windows 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

you know when your in W7 and you click on get windows 10 and you get the Blue screen with "Downloading Windows 10 - feel free to keep using your PC" and then you get the progress message - well which folder on the PC is it downloading to? - Have checked user/download, its not downloading there. Have checked app data/temp folder and its not downloading to there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭DopeTech

you know when your in W7 and you click on get windows 10 and you get the Blue screen with "Downloading Windows 10 - feel free to keep using your PC" and then you get the progress message - well which folder on the PC is it downloading to? - Have checked user/download, its not downloading there. Have checked app data/temp folder and its not downloading to there either.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/windows-10-automatic-download/#4fc8939b773a

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone on here have an opinion on whether I should upgrade to W10?

I've heard mixed things about it (mostly fairly general, not technical) and I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to these things.....

I have an Acer Aspire laptop, probably nearing 10 years old, and recently had it wiped, cleaned up and W7 installed, and it's running lovely again. But every time I start up I get a prompt saying millions have upgraded to W10 and here's my chance and don't lose out. Surely the guy who did the job on it recently would have put in W10 if that was the best idea? He seemed to be of the opinion that W10 was just a fix for some other Windows programme (can't remember which one) and W7 was the one to do.

I'm happy enough with W7 (apart from having lost the use of the € key, grrr!) - is there anything W10 would do for me that I'm missing out on??

Would a near-10-year old laptop be able for W10? (sorry if that's a stupid question)

Is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't install the W10 "while I have the chance, for free"???

Thanks very much in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have an opinion on whether I should upgrade to W10?
    I'm happy enough with W7 (apart from having lost the use of the € key, grrr!) - is there anything W10 would do for me that I'm missing out on?

I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 (on my own L.Top) no problem but its a bit of a pain after it does its automatic updates but is improving, it works quite well and is similar to 8.1.
    Two friends of mine both had problems in upgrading from Win7 and one has reverted back to Win7. I have/had no personal preferences in using either of the three versions, two now, Win7 & Win10.

The € on this Win.7 L.Top is (Ctrl+Alt) + 4 on the keypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 (on my own L.Top) no problem but its a bit of a pain after it does its automatic updates but is improving, it works quite well and is similar to 8.1.
    Two friends of mine both had problems in upgrading from Win7 and one has reverted back to Win7. I have/had no personal preferences in using either of the three versions, two now, Win7 & Win10.

The € on this Win.7 L.Top is (Ctrl+Alt) + 4 on the keypad.

Thanks for the upgrade info. It's particularly the upgrade from 7 to 10 that I'm interested in. Until I hear of a compelling reason to change, I'll stick with 7!

Re the euro symbol - this particular laptop has a dedicated € key which has become redundant/disabled with the upgrade, I now have to use AltGr + 4 - not exactly the end of the world but annoying all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

currently trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10. But when i click the update now button all it does is reboots my computer

So not sure am i missing a step or what i am doing wrong.

I can get to this screen but as i said about just reboots the computer and open back into windows 7

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

scheister wrote: »
    currently trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10. But when i click the update now button all it does is reboots my computer

So not sure am i missing a step or what i am doing wrong.

I can get to this screen but as i said about just reboots the computer and open back into windows 7

you could try using the method here. Should sort it

Nick

download the 'media creator tool' and then choose 'upgrade this pc' - better way to go i reckon

how do people think it will go in July/August when the free upgrade runs out? - how much do you reckon it will cost nominal €30 cost or something like €150eur?

Maybe it will be a scenario of 'we have decided to extend the free windows 10 upgrade programme until ....' ? - who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

how do people think it will go in July/August when the free upgrade runs out? - how much do you reckon it will cost nominal €30 cost or something like €150eur?

Maybe it will be a scenario of 'we have decided to extend the free windows 10 upgrade programme until ....' ? - who knows

It's a one shot deal, trust me, after 29th July you will pay big bucks for win 10. Wait and see.

i think the download website might go into meltdown maybe the week before that end date .... maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

yoyo wrote: »
    you could try using the method here. Should sort it

Nick
    download the 'media creator tool' and then choose 'upgrade this pc' - better way to go i reckon

Thanks everyone it finally updated for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

The iso's are now also available from this link from a non windows device: - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

Techbench links are still down!

Advertisement