Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

I really enjoyed the show up until intermission. Cruzers vs Martina & Kay Lee Ray was great fun.
    Pete Dunne was great as always, and he let Murray kick out of the Drop Dead.
    It would’ve been great if they put the title match on before the Bullet Club stuff so that I could have left early. That hour or so after intermission was painful to sit through. I’ll be glad if OTT never book the Bullet Club again, the only good thing was they weren’t put in a position to bury any of OTT’s acts like the last time.
    Then all that left me burnt out by the time the main event came around. Devlin vs Haskins was alright but it was too slow to really get me back into the show at that hour after Cody and the lads ran the show over time with all their nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

There was probably schedule issues to consider - but they should have had Riddle take the title from Smile & then Devlin challenging Riddle for the title at the big show rather than going against Haskins IMO.  Could have had Devlin beat Haskins for no.1 contender last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be fair, while I get people's frustrations with going to an event to see the main event, then having to miss that for transport...that happens a lot with events in general. If you go to boxing or MMA events, same deal. Concerts? Same. Like I keep trying to come up with alternative ways to do it and they only give you a new set of problems:

Put The Elite on earlier so you can shave matches' time as the show goes? You're cutting into your best matches from the most deserving talent who are treating this show as a big deal and not just another night.

Don't book talent so big they'll go over time and there's not much you can do? You risk your event being a flop.

Cut down on matches? A combination of both of the above: deserving talent doesn't get spots and you might risk the show not drawing or being satisfactory enough for future shows to draw. Also cutting stuff down on these big, expensive shows where you have to charge higher prices then runs the risk of people saying it was a rip-off. That's one thing nobody comes away from these big shows saying!

I mean I might balance things slightly differently if I did it myself, but I also haven't done what OTT have done so that counts for nought. On balance, the way they do it (putting on can't miss shows and trying your best to finish early, but ultimately fans who want to see it all and have to travel can get hostels or taxis if they want) is probably the best of a bunch of options with pros and cons of their own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair, while I get people's frustrations with going to an event to see the main event, then having to miss that for transport...that happens a lot with events in general. If you go to boxing or MMA events, same deal. Concerts? Same. Like I keep trying to come up with alternative ways to do it and they only give you a new set of problems:

MMA and boxing are "real" sports, so yeah, they might drag past a scheduled end time some time. Can't say, tbh, I've every been to a gig, music or comedy, that dragged miles on past the time they said.

Personally, I find it unprofessional. Actually, here's a solution; stop advertising 11pm as the end time! If they say it ends at 12:30, then at least people can schedule accordingly. Just be up front and don't give times they know they'll miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've been to (and worked at) loooooads of gigs that ran late, usually due to the performers being late but that's much of a muchness.

Wrestling isn't as simple as, say, theatre and comedy to keep to time and would have much more in common in that sense with the likes of boxing and MMA. There's no set script like in the former, your entire plan can change up on the fly due to audience reactions etc. And where it usually goes long isn't due to one match taking the piss, it's more like every match running 5-10 minutes long.

I'd agree that advertising a later end time, or at least warn of the possibility so people can plan accordingly. And they probably will do just that, again it's only their third show in this venue (so they're still experimenting with stuff like big entrances and how long they take). They used to have similar issues in the Tivoli and have resolved them as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

leggo wrote: »
    (so they're still experimenting with stuff like big entrances and how long they take)

Personally speaking, I'd definitely pay to see another 5 minutes of Jurn Simmons gyrating on stage on his way to the ring. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

5 minutes?, just give him his own OTT show and it would be a money maker

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

At Scrappermania I started to wonder would his entrance ever actually end :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Angron wrote: »
    At Scrappermania I started to wonder would his entrance ever actually end :pac:

It took him so long even his entrance theme played an encore

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Finally got Front row tickets. Interesting lineup.

Kings of the North vs. The Rapture inside a steel cage. Never seen a cage match in person, could be messy with six guys. Wonder will it be war games style?.

Looking forward to seeing Chucky T.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I love watching Zack Gibson. He's great at being a huge bastard, and can get boos like almost nobody else. I hate him, but I love how good he is at being hateable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »
    First ever OTT event tonight and by god it won't be my last. So mental.. Drinking cans, chanting all night, Tommy Dreamer, awesome gimmicks and oh yeah drinking cans. Next month has Will Ospreay vs Riccochet. I honestly feel lucky to have been invited to this. This will be the start of something beautiful for me.

Over a year ago I posted this and I'm still hooked. Girlfriend is coming with me to the February show (just bought two tickets now on eventbrite.ie) and everything and she can't wait! I know ZSJ, Chuck Taylor and the unreal Pete Dunne are gonna be there but I can not wait for the Kings of the North vs The Rapture. Massive fan of KOTN. Their look is phenomenal, they're great workers and that theme is sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah as a casual, although actually I’m becoming a regular, watcher of OTT via VOD I think KOTN are class as well. Could see them doing well abroad.

Their theme is so militant and fits fantastically. Gets ya pumped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Probably my favourite entrance theme in all of wrestling right now and a top 10 all time. As for the Kings themselves I say it in all my reviews I am an unashamed KOTN mark I think they are a top 5 tag team in the world right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Just picked up tickets myself. Was humming and hawing but me and the lads said we'd be sickened if the cage match ended up being something really special (have no doubt it will).

Gibson is class. The Brits are utter heat magnets and everybody is fully on board the asskicking hype train driven by the KOTN.

The last stadium show IMO was certainly one of OTTs best shows ever. Enjoyed every minute.

Really pray it'll be Zack Sabre Jnr against Devlin but I think he may end up against Scotty D, Michael Mee or more than likely Curtis Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Loved when they used to use that song myself too!

Haven't they changed it though? Last time I saw them they didn't use the usual Prodigy song?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

They are back using it. I think they changed it because they are competing in feds that are streaming live. I could be wrong.

brianblaze wrote: »
    Loved when they used to use that song myself too!

Haven't they changed it though? Last time I saw them they didn't use the usual Prodigy song?

Used it at the National Stadium at Being The Elite. Kinda surreal to see everyone doing the Red Hand of Ulster pose in the arena!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Used it at the National Stadium at Being The Elite. Kinda surreal to see everyone doing the Red Hand of Ulster pose in the arena!

It's amazing what a face turn can do! :D

The confusion about how to make sure it wasn't accidentally a Nazi salute was also kinda funny. :pac:

• Advertisement

What was the genesis of the face turn?

I think it was in a hardcore match in November. I wasn't at it myself, but read this here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105192652&postcount=2540

Zack Gibson being an amazing heel along with his mates Charlie and Sha taking out all the other Irish tag teams (Lads from the Flats, 2Unlimited, Murray & Martin) and saying there was no Irish talent left to face them and the Kings took notice. Tbf the Kings have been getting 50 responses most of the year and they are so good its almost impossible to boo them so when they did finally come out to confront Gibbo & Sterling the Tivoli erupted.

As far the KOTN salute goes you gotta make sure that your wrist is at a 90 degree angle and never let it slip into that other famous right handed salute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

DTB5fzQVAAEKgWG?format=jpg

Anyone going this Sunday? Kearney v Devlin should be good (he spent a few months last year with Lance Storm). I've seen Michael May a few times now and he's alright, fairy big match for him.

Myself and my little fella will be there as always. El Phantasmo vs Nathan Martin and A Kid vs Scotty Davis are gonna be spectacular. Gunthers OTT debut! Michael May Doug Williams should be a great wrestling match and I have seriously high hopes for Jordan vs Darren Kearney

Think I'll bring my two nephews to this. Is there any hassle getting tickets?

Think I'll bring my two nephews to this. Is there any hassle getting tickets?

Last one was definitely the fullest its been so far and the shows are only getting better. If you want to pay at the door you wont get in until after everyone that has bought a ticket in advance. Tickets can be bought on Eventbrite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

LeeJM wrote: »
    Last one was definitely the fullest its been so far and the shows are only getting better. If you want to pay at the door you wont get in until after everyone that has bought a ticket in advance. Tickets can be bought on Eventbrite

With an outrageous €2 booking charge :(

I want to go but I'm not paying an additional two quid so might chance it on the door.

oneilla wrote: »
    With an outrageous €2 booking charge :(

I want to go but I'm not paying an additional two quid so might chance it on the door.

Meh they are providing a service and I am availing of it, don't see why €2 is a deal breaker but each to their own. I just look at it as part of the cost of going to the show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

LeeJM wrote: »
    Meh they are providing a service and I am availing of it, don't see why €2 is a deal breaker but each to their own. I just look at it as part of the cost of going to the show

Especially when you compare it to ticketmaster where they will charge you €5-€6 per ticket

Advertisement