Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

just need Kieran Read to put pen to paper after Rory gets his winnings from the Masters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    If you can get this guy then you take him.

Just one thing, Bowe is 31, Trimble is 30, Payne is now a centre, yes there is Gilroy but I wouldn't say we are as well off in the back three as people think.

We still need a back row signing of significance.

The issue is (if it is true and I'm highly dubious not only due to the timing but the fantastical sums of money involved for a bloke who has only started 1 Rugby Championship match) that there has to be a finite amount of money available.

Piutau may be a great player but it would be money sorely needed to attract a top class back row player. For that sort of cash, Ulster would be in with a serious chance of bringing in a Springbok back row player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wouldn't be shocked if ulster were sick of springboks though, losing them to international duty all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Buer wrote: »
    The issue is (if it is true and I'm highly dubious not only due to the timing but the fantastical sums of money involved for a bloke who has only started 1 Rugby Championship match) that there has to be a finite amount of money available.

Piutau may be a great player but it would be money sorely needed to attract a top class back row player. For that sort of cash, Ulster would be in with a serious chance of bringing in a Springbok back row player.

As much as I'm excited by this signing I would have preferred a top class back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

What a signing in fairness. If ye can get a back row player at similar standard ye will have a quality starting 15.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    As much as I'm excited by this signing I would have preferred a top class back row.

We'll sign a back row for sure. A top class one.

Kieran Read is considered top class, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

If it's 700k he's worth it. The guy is dreadfully unlucky to be born around the same time as Savea and Smith, otherwise he'd be an AB regular. Although I agree it's silly money for a guy who doesn't actually have an amazing CV.

Still only 23 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Its not players we need. Its a coach...

Id say its true... not sure if we need a back but Ill not say no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Just to make sure, we're talking about Piutau the All Black here?! Jesus that would be an unreal signing if true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Tox56 wrote: »
    Just to make sure, we're talking about Piutau the All Black here?! Jesus that would be an unreal signing if true

Heard ulster were close to signing kaino too but he decided to stay in nz

• Advertisement

Ha, can you imagine it.

"Ulster Rugby are pleased to announce the signing of Charles Piutau and Jerome Kaino".

Reaction of Ulster fans:

s6i6Q.gif

Reaction of fans of other provinces:

jawdrop.gifjawdrop.gifjawdrop.gifjawdrop.gif

Tox56 wrote: »

Yeah that's him. Although to be fair very much a fringe player, but still he'll be head and shoulders above any of the 'marquee' backs the provinces have.

.ak wrote: »
    If it's 700k he's worth it. The guy is dreadfully unlucky to be born around the same time as Savea and Smith, otherwise he'd be an AB regular. Although I agree it's silly money for a guy who doesn't actually have an amazing CV.

Still only 23 though...

I can't agree with €700k being worth it. As he's only 23, there are so many variables. Why is a 23 year old looking to jump ship? Is money his only motivation? Test level NZ backs do not have a great record of moving to the northern hemisphere for a number of reasons. Ranger, Tuitupou, Rocokoco, Guildford (jury is out a bit but certainly hasn't replicated his Crusaders form), Cullen, Gear....even Maitland has upped and left Glasgow as soon as he could.

Ruan Pienaar, who is on similar money supposedly, arrived with a RWC medal in his pocket, a winning Lions series, 40 caps and had started internationally at 9, 10 and 15. He was completely established and had consistently performed for a number of years at a high level. That's the profile I'd be looking for before thinking about parting with that sort of money.

If true, I would be of the opinion that Ulster are paying way above the odds to secure a name that has a lot of buzz around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah that's him. Although to be fair very much a fringe player, but still he'll be head and shoulders above any of the 'marquee' backs the provinces have.

Yes, 'fringe back 3 player for the All Blacks' can basically be read 'back 3 player good enough to regularly make the All Blacks squad'. Nearly every time I've seen him I've been impressed. He isn't at all what Ulster need though, they should be spending money elsewhere

Yeah that's fair enough Buer.. Although I think Piutau is a bit different the others in the sense I feel he's looking to put himself into the window, where as the others were older and looking to beef up their pay cheque a bit - I was most disappointed with Ranger tho.

Yeah that's fair enough Buer.. Although I think Piutau is a bit different the others in the sense I feel he's looking to put himself into the window, where as the others were older and looking to beef up their pay cheque a bit - I was most disappointed with Ranger tho.

Ranger was a bust, undoubtedly. I'd say Rico Gear for most disappointing though. May as well have been back in NZ each weekend he appeared for Worcester.

To put the Piutau money into context, that's slightly more than Habana is earning, reportedly.

To bring us all crashing back down to earth, it has been confirmed that Olding needs another knee reconstruction and will miss out on the RWC.

In fact, he won't play again until 2016.

Another surgery of that severity may have long term implications on his game. Anyone any educated opinions on such a recovery? Jaco, oh Jaco, wherefore art thou?

To bring us all crashing back down to earth, it has been confirmed that Olding needs another knee reconstruction and will miss out on the RWC.

In fact, he won't play again until 2016.

Another surgery of that severity may have long term implications on his game. Anyone any educated opinions on such a recovery? Jaco, oh Jaco, wherefore art thou?

Gutting news that. :(

• Advertisement

s6i6Q.gifs6i6Q.gifs6i6Q.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can't understand why Ulster have signed Piutau, you don't need another winger/full back.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Can't understand why Ulster have signed Piutau, you don't need another winger/full back.

To replace Payne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

case885 wrote: »

Welllllll, that's just reporting that NZ media have reported it... there's no new actual data in that piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Whats the status on the Bowe/Trimble contracts. Could one or both be off?

Is Ludik buying out the last year of his contract?

Is Gilroy off?

In order for this signing to make sense one of the above must be true.

That said I expect that we are being caught in a new zealand april fools joke.

Ludik's contract ends before this guys contract supposedly starts.

If it was an April Fools I'm not sure why they'd go with the 2016 date and him playing for the Blues next season etc.

• Advertisement

It would be the sh*ttest April Fools joke in the world because a) it's not 1st April and b) there's nothing funny about it.

It could be unfounded rumour snowballing as things often do on the Internet, but not April Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

It would be the sh*ttest April Fools joke in the world because a) it's not 1st April and b) there's nothing funny about it.

It would be April 1st in New Zealand

It could be unfounded rumour snowballing as things often do on the Internet, but not April Fools.

It is in New Zealand

It was still the 31st March in NZ when the article was posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

CatFromHue wrote: »

They have 2 centres who have serious injury issues in marshall and Olding. Payne to centre and Piutau to full back. Makes sense to me. They need a quality back row and reserve th because Herbst is being over played

• Advertisement

It is in New Zealand

It is now, yes. But not when the story broke.

The 31st March 21:17 publish time on the site is NZ time, not local time for the person reading. I've browsed the site from a US machine and the time says the same.

When in 2016 does this guy actually start?

Is it like John Afoa who was contracted in New Zealand till December but came up to Ulster early or is it going to be September 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Ludik's contract ends before this guys contract supposedly starts.

If it was an April Fools I'm not sure why they'd go with the 2016 date and him playing for the Blues next season etc.

Or the fact it was the 31st March in NZ when this story broke!

Edit - OK that's been done

2016/17 backline...
    15 Piatau
    14 Bowe
    13 Payne
    12 McCloskey
    11 Trimble
    10 Jackson
    9 Pienaar

Gilroy, Cave, Olding (please God) and Marshall in the equation, plus the likes of Scholes, Arnold and Stockdale to emerge from the Academy...good times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bilston wrote: »
    2016/17 backline...
    15 Piatau
    14 Bowe
    13 Payne
    12 McCloskey
    11 Trimble
    10 Jackson
    9 Pienaar

Gilroy, Cave, Olding (please God) and Marshall in the equation, plus the likes of Scholes, Arnold and Stockdale to emerge from the Academy...good times...
    Perhaps McIlroy will have paid for a full body replacement for Ferris by then and he'll get into the backline!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Quality signing.
    Interesting to see what else is in the pipeline for post world cup.

Best signing of all mightn't be a player though... Kiss.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Quality signing.
    Interesting to see what else is in the pipeline for post world cup.

Best signing of all mightn't be a player though... Kiss.

Agree. Someone to bring a bit of discipline would be good. With that we might actually start playing teams with 15 men of the field more regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Just heard about the Piutau signing.

Wow. What a great signing that is, class act.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ulster are nuts if the numbers are true. They could sign two genuinely top class, established test players for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How much of the money spent on this lad was IRFU money? Hopefully Ulster had a nice bankroll somewhere because I don't think the IRFU would be giving them that kind of cash. Seems absolutely mental amount to be spending on some 23 year old kiwi to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm calling BS on this.

A million NZ Dollars a year is just shy of €700k a year. The IRFU have not approved that, you can be 100% sure of it. And I can't see Ulster getting the contract of a guy who isn't an absolute mega-star topped up by that amount. If they have then the Ulster management should all get the sack because there are other areas where the need is greater.

If him joining is true, I would be far more inclined to believe that the value of his contract (over 2 seasons, I'm assuming) is €700k. That would be a tidy bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If him joining is true, I would be far more inclined to believe that the value of his contract (over 2 seasons, I'm assuming) is €700k. That would be a tidy bit of business.

The original article said 1m NZDs per season.

It's possible the transfer story is correct but the figures quoted are not. Seems like a phenomenal amount of money alright.

Teferi wrote: »
    How much of the money spent on this lad was IRFU money? Hopefully Ulster had a nice bankroll somewhere because I don't think the IRFU would be giving them that kind of cash. Seems absolutely mental amount to be spending on some 23 year old kiwi to be quite honest.

Ulster have a very full rich war chest. As I said earlier, the money for players has never been the issue but rather IRFU regulations.

I don't for a second believe Ulster cannot afford this, and if it's true I would not at all be surprised to see a back row player brought in on similar terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Don't like seeing huge sums spent on back 3 players when your well covered in that area and have huge deficiencies elsewhere, I think they're the hardest position to get a guaranteed impact from particularly when their moving hemispheres. It's much easier to predict the impact that a top class back row will have IMO. The one thing that you are guaranteed from a big name AB's back 3 player though is bums on seats so maybe that's a big factor in Ulster's decision to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If it's per season then that's Sexton money. Surely can't be true.

If it's per season then that's Sexton money. Surely can't be true.

Why not?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Ulster have a very full rich war chest. As I said earlier, the money for players has never been the issue but rather IRFU regulations.

I don't for a second believe Ulster cannot afford this, and if it's true I would not at all be surprised to see a back row player brought in on similar terms.

It's not that I don't think they've the cash available. They had some serious players on the books before when the likes of Afoa, Pienaar, Payne and Muller were all there at the same time; that obviously took a lot of money.

It's more the idea that they're willing to pay that cash for a guy who doesn't have too high a profile. Are you lot letting Peter Ridsdale do your negotiating?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement