Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

If you cannot get anyone to quote you, you will have to request a letter of declinature from 3 of them then present them to the declined cases cases board through insurance Ireland. The first one to decline you will be obliged to quote.

They can charge pretty much what they want so you have to decide if the hassle of getting these letters, and it will likely take you a couple of months, sending them in, getting a ruling and then the probable whopper premium you would be quoted, is actually worth it.

Thanks a lot for the help but all sorted now got a somewhat reasonable quote and went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so i went to axa yesterday because my car insurance is expiring next february. i paid for the next year and got the new badge.

but one thing striked me just now: i said that i'm paying by card. i handed my card over, the guy took some notes and gave me my card back. not thinking too much of it i put it back, got all the papers and left.

at home i was like "wait, i didnt even enter my cards code?!" he didnt put it in a reader or anything. what happened here? my account shows the money as pending transaction.

how did he get my money without me entering the cards code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

murfilein wrote: »
    so i went to axa yesterday because my car insurance is expiring next february. i paid for the next year and got the new badge.

but one thing striked me just now: i said that i'm paying by card. i handed my card over, the guy took some notes and gave me my card back. not thinking too much of it i put it back, got all the papers and left.

at home i was like "wait, i didnt even enter my cards code?!" he didnt put it in a reader or anything. what happened here? my account shows the money as pending transaction.

Standard practice for taking card payments over the phone is Number, Name, Expiry and CRV on the back. By handing over the card, all that information is available

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Standard practice for taking card payments over the phone is Number, Name, Expiry and CRV on the back. By handing over the card, all that information is available

oh ok. i thought something fishy is going on. thanks for clearing that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

murfilein wrote: »

Thats breaking the consumer protection code/the data protection act.

It is forbidden for any agent to write down/retain details of anyone's credit or debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Many brokers take written details of credit cards and pass them to accounts staff for processing. The notes are never retained and usually shredded there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thats breaking the consumer protection code/the data protection act.

It is forbidden for any agent to write down/retain details of anyone's credit or debit card.

Doesn't the DPA state that details can be retained for the duration of the transactionand solely for that transaction ?

I haven't seen specific mention of the CPC prohibiting agents, tied or not from taking credit card details either ? :confused: What section?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

If I request a copy of my no claims bonus are the insurance company obliged to give it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

longshanks wrote: »
    If I request a copy of my no claims bonus are the insurance company obliged to give it to me?

Your free no claims bonus is issued with your renewal notice by your insurer, but if you lose it then you may require a duplicate a fee may apply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I've already paid the fee. First I was told I could have a copy, I'm now being told that I can't have a copy as it is an active policy.
    It's beyond a joke. The insurer, 25plus, are now uncontactable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

When filling out the details to get quotes online does the 'have you had a claim in the last five years?' refer to claims made by you against your own insurance or someone else against your insurance or both?

The reason I ask is I have had a claim made against me that was 'closed' with no fault and no pay out. I'm not sure how to treat this when looking for quotes. The only options are either that it was settled or not and some sites won't let me enter 0 as the amount it was settled for.

seadnamac wrote: »
    When filling out the details to get quotes online does the 'have you had a claim in the last five years?' refer to claims made by you against your own insurance or someone else against your insurance or both?

The reason I ask is I have had a claim made against me that was 'closed' with no fault and no pay out. I'm not sure how to treat this when looking for quotes. The only options are either that it was settled or not and some sites won't let me enter 0 as the amount it was settled for.

Variant on the question being asked.

If it says "irrespective of blame / fault " then you need to disclose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sandram2608

I had a car accident the first week of August last year. a fender bender really. heard nothing from her until this week. she is saying that I owe her nearly 1300euro now. the quote she got was dated 2 weeks ago. 6 months has passed before she got the quote and there is a lot of things on it that I dont think i could've damaged. im just wondering if I have anyway around this. I dont mind paying her what I owe her but I no I dont owe her that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sandram2608

I had a car accident the first week of August last year. a fender bender really. heard nothing from her until this week. she is saying that I owe her nearly 1300euro now. the quote she got was dated 2 weeks ago. 6 months has passed before she got the quote and there is a lot of things on it that I dont think i could've damaged. im just wondering if I have anyway around this. I dont mind paying her what I owe her but I no I dont owe her that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Saint Tom

Hi All,

some good advice in the thread. My girlfriend is an Italian national with a full license for 15+ years. She also has been able to drive a number of family cars insured in hre fathers name as the system they use in Italy are open policies where the car is insured to be driven by all fully licensed drivers. I have been quoted by aviva using a named driver bonus (not using a full policy holder NCB). Will a letter from the insurer in Italy to state that she has been insured to drive the car on an open policy and that there have been no cliams suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭BEB

My car went up in flames the last night, i think it was deliberite, insurance asseser was out and gave me a valuation for it, then two days later i got a claims letter to claim, it had nct tax and insurance but my learners permit is out of date a few weeks and they are looking for a copy of it, the car was parked up and in private property when it was arson attacked so just wondering where i stand, has any one any advise for me or any experience with this.. I am hoping an praying that the claim is valid but im fretting that its not.. I had to move out of the place i was living in over threats from thugs and gaurds are aware of it all.. thanks guys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Because it wasnt a fault claim then you should be ok. Be prepared for some probing questions though in terms of when you last drove it etc.

Please post back when you find out (hope it works out for you), Id be interested to see the outcome as its not a scenario Ive ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bolac

Hi All,

First post :)

Just moved to Ireland recently and I`m looking to get a car...the problem I have is I`m in Cork and the car is in Dublin.

Obviously I can`t insure it until I buy it and I need to get it to Cork, which means driving Dublin - Cork without insurance.

Any advises on what to do? Is there a kind of "temporary insurance" for a day or two?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bolac wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just moved to Ireland recently and I`m looking to get a car...the problem I have is I`m in Cork and the car is in Dublin.

Obviously I can`t insure it until I buy it and I need to get it to Cork, which means driving Dublin - Cork without insurance.

Any advises on what to do? Is there a kind of "temporary insurance" for a day or two?

Thanks!

Why would it need to be driven from Dublin to Cork before you buy it?

I can`t get the insurance as long as I`m not the owner of the car...so I need to buy a car in Dublin, transfer it to my name and then confirm the quote I have from the insurance company.

Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi All,

Thanks!
    No temporary insurance, you have to buy a policy for a full year. You can arrange insurance in advance and have cover to start at a specific time after you take ownership then drive it home after that. AFAIK insurers will do this. (Make sure you write the date and time of purchase on the VLC when you sign it as proof of when you took ownership)
    If you want to cancel after a few days you can but you'll pay a heavy penalty especially in the early days of the policy.

Your other options are
    - get someone who has 'drive other cars extension' on their own policy to drive it back under their insurance. The risk with this is he would usually only have 3rd party cover when driving your car so if he causes damage to your car through his own negligence then you won't be able to claim from his insurance.
    - transport it on a trailer or truck.

Thanks, I also thought about the idea of someone driving it to Cork for me (too bad I don`t know much people here, haha :)).

I would first like to see the car, check the overall condition and then if all is fine continue with the purchase and confirm the policy...that sounds like a logical way, I don`t want to buy a car without laying my eyes on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks, I also thought about the idea of someone driving it to Cork for me (too bad I don`t know much people here, haha :)).

I would first like to see the car, check the overall condition and then if all is fine continue with the purchase and confirm the policy...that sounds like a logical way, I don`t want to buy a car without laying my eyes on it!
    You'll also need to make sure you are insured if you want to test drive the car on the road or other space where the public has access. If you don't have your own policy which covers the car then you'll need to make sure the seller's insurance covers you. Don't assume you are insured.

I got my renewal today from AXA, and be ye warned that there was a leaflet inside setting out changes to the standard driving-other-cars extension, the most significant of which is now the engine size limit of 2,000cc, down from 2,500cc. I had to give them a few thumps this morning over the renewal price, but I will be "discussing" this with them as well, later in the week. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

My insurance is due for renewal this week. I also need money for college for two kids. My insurance company does not facilitate payments spread out over the year. Can anyone recommend a company that does? Thanks.

Gooners wrote: »
    My insurance is due for renewal this week. I also need money for college for two kids. My insurance company does not facilitate payments spread out over the year. Can anyone recommend a company that does? Thanks.

Well, I'm finding AXA fairly competitive again this year, and they do facilitate monthly installments by direct-debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, I'm finding AXA fairly competitive again this year, and they do facilitate monthly installments by direct-debit.

Excellent

Gooners wrote: »
    Excellent

They seem to do great deals on the Web for new customers, but bear in mind you'll have to give them a few slaps next year, because they will try it on. :pac:

I went with Allianz this year.

Nearly halved the best quote I could get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Apparently Zurich took on a lot of new motor business last year & suffered a bit of a hammering which thye're now regretting, so quotes to current customers (me included) may well be deliberately pricey to reduce their exposure accordingly.

Advertisement