Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

RSA seeking to shore up the huge hole that was exposed in their accounts is your issue. But generally rates are on the rise/

Unfortunately we don't do comparison sites, just brokers! So each one may have a different price with the one insurer!! just a case of start shopping!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

peteb2 wrote: »
    RSA seeking to shore up the huge hole that was exposed in their accounts is your issue. But generally rates are on the rise/

Unfortunately we don't do comparison sites, just brokers! So each one may have a different price with the one insurer!! just a case of start shopping!

Went to allianz...comp, windscreen, full ncb bonus, breakdown, drive other cars, personal effects insurance. 270 cheaper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Allianz and Axa are pretty much consistent with their pricing. As pointed out above, 123 have massive disparity in their claims reserves so need to recoup that.

Try Chill. I got my oh's car insured with AIG through them for €340, that was for comp, full bonus cover, me as a named driver (I have a provisional) and full bonus protection. Car is a 1.6 Mini One so alot of insurers dont like them. Best alt I could get was FBD for €500. Her renewal with 123 was €606 and there was no budge in price with them.

As an aside, rates are hardening across the board. If we get as bad a winter as is promised Im expecting rates to increase further into early 2015 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Quick question that I didn't see covered in the FAQ

I've never had a policy under my own name but have been a named driver on a family members car for 6 years. When I'm filling out insurance quotes online, can I say I have a no claims discount? I assume I can't as it wasn't actually my policy?

And if not, having being insured as a named driver for 6 years, should I expect any reduction at all on my own policy?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ATMatm

I've never had a policy under my own name but have been a named driver on a family members car for 6 years. When I'm filling out insurance quotes online, can I say I have a no claims discount? I assume I can't as it wasn't actually my policy?

And if not, having being insured as a named driver for 6 years, should I expect any reduction at all on my own policy?

Thanks

If it's been six consecutive years with no breaks and you can prove it then yes. It's not quite as good as NCB in your own name but it's pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Thanks

It's not a NCB, it's known as named driving experience. 6 complete years will be a big help getting a quote

Thanks

Dont fill it out online. All insurers will offer you whats known as an introductory no claims bonus equivalent to a full actual NCB. Alot of the websites do not have an option to fill in named driving experience, only NCB so if you fill in that you have a full NCB, thats technically untrue and can cause problems when sending back the paperwork.

Pick up the phone, you will also have more bargaining power over the phone too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My insurance has rocketed this year and not just from my insurer, but from all and I've no idea why :mad:

Current insurer, No Nonsense (FBD) hiked mine by 50% and when shopping around at the moment, I'm getting quotes of higher than that :(

What has happened since 2013 thats causing this? :confused:

Setanta went bang.

Heavy property claims in the early part of this year due to the inclement weather.

RSA/123.ie misappropriated their claims reserves to the tune of €250 million.

There are much more cars on the road in the last 12 months, more cars = more losses = higher premiums to cover them.

General rate increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

Is it normal that mine has gone up 350 in one year? That's the best quote with allianz. Axa put it up by 450. Mid 30s,female, NCB of 15 years, no points, 25K car. It went up 200 last year. 548 in 2 years is extreme, even though I have a more valuable car in the last 2 years. I know from reading the posts that prices are going up but that much? Should it cost me nearly 800 to insure a Passat?

Edited to point out that I am actually inquiring for a friend. Mt insurance is not up yet.

• Advertisement

In January of 2013 the risk equalisation mandate came in. Basically an EU ruling that dictated that insurance companies can no longer offer discounts based on gender.

Traditionally females got cheaper insurers than males, even with the exact same risk criteria ie car, bonus, location etc.

Thats likely the main reason for the increase in 2013.

Most motor insurers in Ireland also offer commercial insurance eg for tradesmen, manufacturing and so forth.

The loss ratio for this class of business across all insurance companies is somewhere between 115% and 130%.

The loss ratio in laymans terms means how much underwriting profit an insurance company makes on every policy it sells. A loss ratio of less than 100% means there is a profit made, a loss ratio of more than 100% means there is a loss been made.

Basically based on the percentages above, for every €1 an insurance company takes in they are paying out between €1.15 and €1.30 on claims.

Zurich for example announced a couple of weeks ago that they have not made an underwriting profit in 7 years and thats symptomatic across the board.

All claims are paid out of a pool so money taken for motor or business insurance goes into the one pool. With the losses happening on the commercial business, it is necessary to increase rates across all classes of business to enable companies to have enough money to pay out any claims.

Setanta did not do the above which is why they went tits up.

So, between all the above, and taking into account the car has a greater value, thats why it has increased so much.

I will say however, based on the driver profile she should get it significantly cheaper than €800, it will just take some leg work.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

FBD renewal quote up by 59%. This is crazy!! Don't see the CEO's €600k+ package taking a dent!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

moceri wrote: »
    FBD renewal quote up by 59%. This is crazy!! Don't see the CEO's €600k+ package taking a dent!

With the utmost of respects to you, FBD are a private company and not a state owned bank. They've delivered you with a quote you don't find pleasing. Why would you wish their CEO to take a financial impact on their salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone know whats the damage $ wise insuring second car on the same name ? currently paying below 500e with ncb over 5 years with liberty-looking at small engine car 1.4-1.6 only difference would be it would be a lot never then what i own now,so rough % estimate at what i might be looking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    My insurance has rocketed this year and not just from my insurer, but from all and I've no idea why :mad:

Current insurer, No Nonsense (FBD) hiked mine by 50% and when shopping around at the moment, I'm getting quotes of higher than that :(

What has happened since 2013 thats causing this? :confused:

Im with no nonsense and mine stayed the exact same,bought a newer car and it only cost me 68 euro to go to fully comp incl 35 admin fee,so it seems to vary for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

peteb2 wrote: »
    Yeah but Quote Devil are the broker. They arent the finance company. Unless they have an-in house finance facility. In which case, even better. Have them pull the call where their staff member said it was ok and they won't chase you for it.

As above, the house is now all square, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Apologies if already answered but can anyone tell me if i agree to a price from the insurance company for my written off car how long until i receive the cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

NATLOR wrote: »
    Apologies if already answered but can anyone tell me if i agree to a price from the insurance company for my written off car how long until i receive the cheque.

Most do electronic payments these days. Usually land in your account 3-5 days after they receive all the necessary paperwork (claim form, copy licence, VLC, NCT, acceptance form etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Most do electronic payments these days. Usually land in your account 3-5 days after they receive all the necessary paperwork (claim form, copy licence, VLC, NCT, acceptance form etc)

That's great thanks for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maynoothspur

Hi hope some lone can help here.
    I have my gf as named driver on my policy and vice versa, we both have cover to drive other cars included. She was involved in an accident in my car on Friday, can she use her own policy to sort out the claim rather than use mine and mess up my NCB?? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi hope some lone can help here.
    I have my gf as named driver on my policy and vice versa, we both have cover to drive other cars included. She was involved in an accident in my car on Friday, can she use her own policy to sort out the claim rather than use mine and mess up my NCB?? Thanks in advance.

Nope, your car, your policy unfortunately.

Under the driving of other cars extension she could technically use her own insurance however driving other cars only offers third party only cover so damages to your motor wouldn't be covered.

Nope, your car, your policy unfortunately.

Under the driving of other cars extension she could technically use her own insurance however driving other cars only offers third party only cover so damages to your motor wouldn't be covered.

Ok so if she used her policy to repair the car she hit? I'm not too bothered about my car, more worried about my no claims. Thanks for the speedy reply btw.

Ok so if she used her policy to repair the car she hit? I'm not too bothered about my car, more worried about my no claims. Thanks for the speedy reply btw.

If you arent too concerned about your own then she should be able to sort the third party repairs with her own policy.

You will still need to report it to your own insurance company, as will she.

If you arent too concerned about your own then she should be able to sort the third party repairs with her own policy.

You will still need to report it to your own insurance company, as will she.

That's great news was worried all weekend, we can sort my car out between us just don't want this hanging over me for years. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Hi All just a quick question
    i made a claim in my insurance in dec 2013 accident my fault which has been settled lost 2 years no claim (Step back) at the time.

Is there any company that will quote me now as this is in my history.
    no one online will liberty fbd wont with this claim , or most online dont have the option to add in accidents anymore?

Got my renewal today not too bad considering all that happened but want to see any i can do any better
    is it worth while ringing some insurers or will i be told there not intrested with a previous claim?

Driving over 10 years was first accident
    30 yo male

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Vickers, just give a broker a shout. Most insurers will quote with the claim. Some may not depending on the amount paid out. A lot of online channels use assumptions and most will say that you cant have had any claims in the last 3 years. But its just to suit their underwriting process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Can anyone help me find a company to an insure an old van? Have picked up a 21 year old van but was stupid enough not to check insurance before hand. Thought a 20+ commercial vehicle would be ok as I insured a 20 year old Chevy truck back in 2004.

So far the van is too young for the classic insurers: AXA, First Ifeland, FBD and Carole Nash

Van is too old for insuremyvan, Aviva and a few others

Only quote I got was from Liberty and that was for three times the value of the van.

Any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi sorry if this has been asked before :o :rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm looking for quotes - I was told its4women.ie are the cheapest. When I am completing the quote online it asks if I or my named driver have any convictions - does this mean convicted of driving offences in court or does it mean just ordinary penalty points gained by being caught on speed camera? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to help, having a bit of trouble getting insured.
    I bought a car a few days ago and rang a few insurance company's but none of them will give me a quote. They are telling me that it's not the power of the car but it's actually the car spec. They told me if I got a different spec with the same bhp they would give me a quote and insure me which they told me the price of and it wasn't even that expensive. If anyone knows something I could do that would be great. The car has been bought and it's just sitting up doing nothing. Thanks

• Advertisement

If you cannot get anyone to quote you, you will have to request a letter of declinature from 3 of them then present them to the declined cases cases board through insurance Ireland. The first one to decline you will be obliged to quote.

They can charge pretty much what they want so you have to decide if the hassle of getting these letters, and it will likely take you a couple of months, sending them in, getting a ruling and then the probable whopper premium you would be quoted, is actually worth it.

Advertisement