Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John Murray Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I heard Neil Delamare standing in his morning. Sounded good but maybe the wrong station. 2fm perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Why are RTE giving this scumbag the time to promote his book? He's profiting out of his criminal past and RTE are facilitating him....

"John, people are right, I probably should have served the full sentence"

Go back ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

Why are RTE giving this scumbag the time to promote his book? He's profiting out of his criminal past and RTE are facilitating him....

"John, people are right, I probably should have served the full sentence"

Go back ..

I missed the interview and only half listening at the end of the programme... but did I hear John reading out a text about yer man that said
    "C U Next Time"

:D

sudzs wrote: »
    I missed the interview and only half listening at the end of the programme... but did I hear John reading out a text about yer man that said "C U Next Time" :D

didnt hear that Sudzs, but I'm still half asleep... Joe Duffy wont be happy about John Murray promoting de druuuuuug lad's book.. I hope he doesnt meet him in the hallway of RTE, it could turn in to fistycuffs..

didnt hear that Sudzs, but I'm still half asleep... Joe Duffy wont be happy about John Murray promoting de druuuuuug lad's book.. I hope he doesnt meet him in the hallway of RTE, it could turn in to fistycuffs..

I was half asleep myself, and slightly hungover! I must listen back to it though. Must be the first time I've heard the "c" word, allbeit in code, on RTE1!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

An awful, awful show. Where did they get this fella ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

John Murray and Mel C, a radio match made in hell if ever there was one. I don't think I ever cringed so much in such a small space of time before.

Many years ago Dinjo danced on the radio..now John Murray brings us on walks :eek::rolleyes::mad::cool::D;) In the name of Jaysus.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone hear that strumming horror this morning?

Anyone listening to the strumming horror right now???

Don't know who it is but is it a really bad Florence and the Machine tribute band or what?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

John Murray tuned me out soon after he started the show years ago now.
    This morning I listened again.

It is frightening how cringeworthy his handling of Michael Winslow and the lad who got hit with the golf ball were.

This is our main radio station. Who is responsible for this utter sh1te and why would they let it continue. Newstalk has disimproved but they are safe for the 9-10 slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

John Murray tuned me out soon after he started the show years ago now.
    This morning I listened again.

It is frightening how cringeworthy his handling of Michael Winslow and the lad who got hit with the golf ball were.

This is our main radio station. Who is responsible for this utter sh1te and why would they let it continue. Newstalk has disimproved but they are safe for the 9-10 slot.

+1.
    I just happened to catch those segments this morning, utter rubbish. I had to turn off (excuse the pun) the segment with the erotic author. A total cringefest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Who are these anonymous people who criticise John Murray with such venom.
    This is not free speech as they are hiding behind a nickname just like me. I wonder how many of them are the begrudgers you meet when you work in a Radio Station whose only talent is knock knock knock. Sour people who will never get a break. Try presenting and see for yourself how it gets more difficult as you go along. When you have spoken about something many times before it is hard to get a fresh angle. At least John tries to be different. All presenters have their good and bad days and this is not always their fault ,. Sometimes they are let down by guests or forced to make time or talk about something they are uneasy about. Sometimes they have a go because they can't stay in their comfort zone forever if they want to improve or because they know they are not always right. One of teh worst things I ever heard was John playing golf in studio but he tried it and moved on. His interview with the Australian lady who attended the Springsteen concert was excellent.He should replay Eamonn Ryans old girlfriends interview sometime it was a classic piece of comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

This is not free speech as they are hiding behind a nickname just like me. I wonder how many of them are the begrudgers you meet when you work in a Radio Station whose only talent is knock knock knock. Sour people who will never get a break. Try presenting and see for yourself how it gets more difficult as you go along. When you have spoken about something many times before it is hard to get a fresh angle. At least John tries to be different. All presenters have their good and bad days and this is not always their fault ,.

You should attack the posts, not the people who make them. That is the essence of a discussion forum- people express opinions. Nothing more complicated than that.

Try dealing with the accusation of Mr Murray being 'cringeworthy' for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

This is not free speech as they are hiding behind a nickname just like me. I wonder how many of them are the begrudgers you meet when you work in a Radio Station whose only talent is knock knock knock. Sour people who will never get a break. Try presenting and see for yourself how it gets more difficult as you go along. When you have spoken about something many times before it is hard to get a fresh angle. At least John tries to be different. All presenters have their good and bad days and this is not always their fault ,. Sometimes they are let down by guests or forced to make time or talk about something they are uneasy about. Sometimes they have a go because they can't stay in their comfort zone forever if they want to improve or because they know they are not always right. One of teh worst things I ever heard was John playing golf in studio but he tried it and moved on. His interview with the Australian lady who attended the Springsteen concert was excellent.He should replay Eamonn Ryans old girlfriends interview sometime it was a classic piece of comedy

Nearly all radio shows these days, including John Murray's, read out anonymous text messages to add colour to almost every topic they cover. Those messages can be just as venomous about individuals or organisations as any post on here. So I don't think a presenter who reads out these kind of messages about others, can really complain if there is an other form of media that carries similar messages about them or their show.

God this is a terrible interview... been going around in circles for the last twenty minutes... Could he just not have said "you're a great lad" and left it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Actually if you've been following this thread you will see that there are people on here who will play the ball and not the man - like me they assert not that John Murray is a bad broadcaster as such, but that he is doing completely the wrong job. He was very good on the business programme (until he was turfed out by the return of George Lee - and you should be asking why that happened) and OK on Morning Ireland, but he's not good here. He can do some light topics, but there are a lot he cannot do - and it sounds pretty bad. I'd say the man himself would probably acknowledge that, if he's honest. I would also say he's limited in the topics he can pick due to being on before Pat Kenny.

If you want to hear how "light" should be done, listen to Sean Moncrieff - but then I wouldn't put him on a business show or on Morning Ireland.
    God this is a terrible interview... been going around in circles for the last twenty minutes... Could he just not have said "you're a great lad" and left it at that.
    I presume that was the interview with the old lad? He did seem to be scrambling around a bit - but then yer man wasn't exactly the most engaging individual.

Anyone think John sounded very impatient with the slightly patronising brain expert there? Then he topped off the interview with what sounded like a sigh of derision. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He wasn't impatient enough.

It must be galling for broadcasters to have to facilitate people selling snake oil. The problem is that there isn't enough material to fill RTE's talk radio schedule unless some of this type of stuff is included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Who is this roving reporter covering festivals around Ireland for the show? He seems to be changing his accent to fit his interviewees, very strange behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I thought I'd just tuned in to 1983 there when they played Paul Gogarty's new single. Somehow I don't think it will make Larry Gogan's Top 30.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I thought I'd just tuned in to 1983 there when they played Paul Gogarty's new single. Somehow I don't think it will make Larry Gogan's Top 30.......
    Dan Boyle #2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Who cares about this pair of wannabes, outside their family or friends and the American accents (one of them is Irish) is annoying.

Rochester wrote: »
    Who cares about this pair of wannabes, outside their family or friends and the American accents (one of them is Irish) is annoying.

Terrible! I tuned out... tuned back for the Dom Joly interview. Almost sorry I did because Catherine Thomas sound like she's a bit afraid of him at times. It's excriciatingly uncomfortable. :(

"You had a difficult relationship with your father?" .... *silence*.... "Didnt you?":(

• Advertisement

I think this lad is selling it too hard... "you can dance much longer without drink".... come off it, I'd be asleep by midnight with a few pints.

a hour of depression and darkness, finished by five minutes of squaking.. When will RTE kill off this show... Even Tubridy back 9am-10am on Radio One would have been better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Ironing on the radio. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Moronic Ironic

John Murray is very hit and miss for me. He does some things well, but most of the time I don't think his show has yet found its niche - or even the best topics. I know that he's hamstrung by having the slot between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny, so he has to scrabble around for topics that the others don't want.

Having said that, I thought his interview with Lar Corbett yesterday was good and, believe it or not, I actually enjoyed this morning's show :eek: 'Twas a good oul' laugh and John is good like that with a live audience and a bit of spontaneity. He's almost worse off when he has to prepare for something. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

He has improved over the last 6 months or so, very very slightly - which wasnt hard given where he was starting from.

He is still capable of total fails with pieces which might have had some potential - example, his interview with Biddy from Glenroe regarding Gabriel Byrne's remarks on The Gathering.

There was room for a semi serious discussion there - John only wanted to talk about whether Byrne was still "hot" in the eyes of the middle aged ladies of Ireland - which i believe was Leo Varadkar's take.

I dont know.. I think the show is still as bad as ever... Every show stills sounds like it's the first show that John has ever presented.. "comedy" bits are like ye da telling jokes... Endless items on depression and spirituality, and John dispassionate, monotone questioning as if he was going through a checklist for the Department Of Social Protection..

It's like the radio version of The Late Late Show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who was the female opera singer who closed the show today ? She sounded great.

And was it intentional that she should sing out the show on the day when they chose the contestants for Operation Transformation ?

I hope it wasn't. Unintentional irony is always better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lapin wrote: »

And was it intentional that she should sing out the show on the day when they chose the contestants for Operation Transformation ?

I hope it wasn't. Unintentional irony is always better. :)

It had to be; they have triend intentional humour on that show this long time and it has yet to work.

It was Cara O'Sullivan... Well there was three of them there, but I think it was Cara that was singing.... Seem like a hugely strenuous vocal to put yourself through given that there were probably only about five people listening to the awful John Murray show... All of us waiting for Pat Kenny to start.

All of us waiting for Pat Kenny to start.

Yep. The last 90 seconds of The John Murray Show is the only bit I listen to after switching over from Newstalk for PK. :)

Nice item on this morning's show with audio from "The School Around the Corner" recorded in Cork 50 years ago. He was trying to track down the five kids involved. I didn't hear the end of the show - I wonder did he succeed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

serfboard wrote: »
    Nice item on this morning's show with audio from "The School Around the Corner" recorded in Cork 50 years ago. He was trying to track down the five kids involved. I didn't hear the end of the show - I wonder did he succeed?

I second that, I only got the first fifteen minutes before getting into work. Must be on Podcast though.

That's the sort of stuff the show should run with, along with the monthly walks. Good solid warm stories that are fond without being gushingly sentimental and which don't stretch the mind or the nerves too much.

Instead it will be back to bad jokes and skits, rudderless interviews, bad attempts at current affairs and worst of all, Catherine Thomas.

He found the boy that was on the podcast talking about Pontoon.. Stephen Butt I think was his name.. It will be on the podcast no doubt.

• Advertisement

On this morning - Newsreader/ Pyschoanalyst Michael Murphy is one angry man.

His advice to texters on all their Christmas dilemas - "take care of yourself and let everyone else swivel"!

Murray was baiting him, asking whether his outlook was at all consistent with the spirit of Christmas.

Murphy was basically ranting by the end.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    On this morning - Newsreader/ Pyschoanalyst Michael Murphy is one angry man.Murphy was basically ranting by the end.

I find it incredible that RTE would allow one of their news broadcasters to get involved in the dream reading and nonsense that Michael Murphy was on about.. I mean if this was happening on TV3, RTE would have Liveline discussing it.

I find it incredible that RTE would allow one of their news broadcasters to get involved in the dream reading and nonsense that Michael Murphy was on about.. I mean if this was happening on TV3, RTE would have Liveline discussing it.

Did you hear his advice?

Allow the family addict to come over for Christmas dinner - NO WAY!

Allow the wife's freind who is alone and has been having a hard time of it to drop in - NO WAY!

Put yourself out in any minor way for the sake of anyone else - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!:mad:

What a hardliner.

I thought he was brilliant !

I thought he was brilliant !

He has no time for any of the old acceptance/ forgiveness mullarkey anyway.

I'd say he hates Christmas really.

He has no time for any of the old acceptance/ forgiveness mullarkey anyway.

I'd say he hates Christmas really.

He may well do; he's virtually an ever present on RTE radio and TV news over the Christmas and New Year :)

Seriously though, I have an issue with newsreaders doing non news items on stations as it's liable to distract from what they are employed to do. Pieces like this impress badly on their preception as a competent and unbiased journalist and in this case it seems to have happened, given the comments on this thread.

He may well do; he's virtually an ever present on RTE radio and TV news over the Christmas and New Year :)

Seriously though, I have an issue with newsreaders doing non news items on stations as it's liable to distract from what they are employed to do. Pieces like this impress badly on their preception as a competent and unbiased journalist and in this case it seems to have happened, given the comments on this thread.

Exactly. When he was yabbering on this morning, I was thinking "David Icke".

Allow the family addict to come over for Christmas dinner - NO WAY!
    Allow the wife's freind who is alone and has been having a hard time of it to drop in - NO WAY!
    Put yourself out in any minor way for the sake of anyone else - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!:mad:

yeah.. :D ... No compassion from the newsreader there....

Michael Murphy should put all his festive advice into a book, "Have yourself a zero tolerance Christmas"... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Would not like to turn up an hour late and half sloshed for Christmas nibbles at chéz Murphy.

I think Mick would be liable to turn violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Robert Ballagh was on this morning. I kept listening because he was able to talk shijhte and spout embarrassing opinions with such passion and old fashioned worldly knowledge. His going to funeral/burglary/cctv/Luddite mashup was astounding. He is a national treasure who should be given 10 grants a year.

Advertisement