Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst city in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Its still a city :o. Kilkenny, Probably the smallest city in the world.

If Carlsberg did cities, they probably wouldn't do Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Cork always seemed so grey and death-like, even on nice days. No idea what that's about.

Neither do I, I think Cork's pretty great!
    I think "grey" and "death" are synonyms for Limerick.
    City-wise, the most European-feeling of our cities (imo), though the loss of Sir. Henry's still stings a bit, even to a blow-in like me.
    Great social-life here though, and I say this as a practical hermit (Saturday night on boards, wouldn't ya know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Cork always seemed so grey and death-like, even on nice days. No idea what that's about.
    I disagree. On a beautiful day, Cork, Dublin and Galway are beautiful places (well, the central parts at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

KKkitty wrote: »
    Kilkenny City has many streets in its city centre and has the infamous Cats Laugh festival every year. It may not match up in size compared to other cities in Ireland but it's a city nonetheless. If you don't like Kilkenny City don't come to it simple as.

/Rant

Actually Kilkenny has the CAT LAUGHS festival not cats laugh

Voted Dublin by the way. Have been to all 4 and Dublin is the only 1 of the 4 I ever felt unsafe in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Cork city is nice enough I think, I wasn't too fond of it when I was growing up but I saw some dumps of places when I lived in the UK that made me reconsider. I liked Dublin when I worked there. I've never been to Limerick or Galway so I can't say anything about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Waterford. Definitely
    One to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They're all f**king kips, Dublin the worst of all........Junkies roaming the main street by day.......
    Limerick has gone down hill rapidly in the last few years, Galway is full of pretentious wannbe be leftie hippy f**ks. It's just one big front.....
    Cork is ok, but too parochial, Waterford and KK best avoided........

grindle wrote: »
    Lived in Limerick for years, and Shannon previously, so while in Shannon it was where I went to go out.
    Mugged twice, got called a "faggit", "freak" and "quare" every single day (literally) of my youth, chased down the road by scobes who wanted to tell me a question, had a half-full bottle of vodka thrown across the road at me, rocks thrown at me, witnessed endless numbers of fights outside Fast Eddies or Chicken Hut, and a full-scale traveller-feud riot in Abrakebabra one night, tables flying out the windows'n'all.
    The city should be judged by the city, and not the suburbs (like Castletroy, the student ghetto I alluded to earlier).
    That's like judging Cork by wandering around Rochestown (posh).
    It could be a wonderful place, but the scobes are just SO fücking scobetacular in their duties, that it'd take a mini-holocaust of genetic cleansing to fix it up.

Man,you must have attracted it, never happened to me in 35 yrs here.....

When visiting limerick i remember the 1st thing i saw was a prison to the left then a dump of a housing estate to the right :cool:

There is no housing estate to the right, you bullsh*tter!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Dublin hands down. For some dubs, it is the center of the universe but if you've been to a REAL city like London or New york, at least the people there have a reason to be stuck up their own ass about. Dublin's bit of a ghetto, while it has improved over the last 10 years, it's still a dump.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Man,you must have attracted it, never happened to me in 35 yrs here.....

Yup, the same way black people, etc, attract racism - all their fault.
    Looks unfamiliar, sounds unfamiliar, must be abused.
    Glad you're not an oddball, otherwise you'd deserve all the shiit you'd get, by your reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Limerick by far. Everyone is aggro, the women, the men, the kids! I like Cork and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dunno. If it comes down to limerick v dublin, limerick kinda seems worse because it has 1/10th the population of dublin yet seems to have bred or attracted a higher percentage of scumbags, hooligans, loonies and layabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I'd have to vote for Dublin, simply for the fact there are more things to do here than in the others

So how exactly does that make it the worst city in Ireland? You don't like having stuff to do?

This thread misses the point anyway. Everyone's hung up on whether this, that, or the other place is a city or not. The fact is you've probably listed the 4 nicest towns in Ireland. Most medium/large towns like Ennis etc. are absolute sh1tholes compared to even Limerick, the worst "city" in Ireland. And this is coming from someones who hates cities and prefers to live in the country. But if you're going to live in an urban area you might as well skip the Tralees and the Nenaghs etc. and live in one of the 4 places above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

firefly08 wrote: »
    So how exactly does that make it the worst city in Ireland? You don't like having stuff to do?

This thread misses the point anyway. Everyone's hung up on whether this, that, or the other place is a city or not. The fact is you've probably listed the 4 nicest towns in Ireland. Most medium/large towns like Ennis etc. are absolute sh1tholes compared to even Limerick, the worst "city" in Ireland. And this is coming from someones who hates cities and prefers to live in the country. But if you're going to live in an urban area you might as well skip the Tralees and the Nenaghs etc. and live in one of the 4 places above.
    Nenagh is really not that bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

firefly08 wrote: »
    This thread misses the point anyway.
    This thread does not miss 'the point' - perhaps it misses a different point that you would like to make, but that's not quite the same thing...

There is no housing estate to the right, you bullsh*tter!:)

OMG!:eek: What??? You mean a large black hole leading to Hell has just appeared on the map of Limerick where Garryowen used to be?

Not everyone can tell the difference, but it's definitely a housing estate.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Limerick is a kip with a dead core, disastrous urban governance and serious social problems.

It's easily the worst city in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

exceptionally bitter and delusional thing to suggest dublin is not the best city, let alone the worst.

infact it's probably the only real city.

cork isn't so bad but it's so small it's laughable.

galway is a town.

limerick is a dead city.

The negative effects of Dublin come with all proper cities. Too many people from the country come up to heuston/connolly and go to henry st or croke park. all some of the worst public places in dublin. They have no idea what they're talking about and it's embarrassing to listen to them complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Have lived in Limerick, Galway, Dublin. Am from limreick, I still think it's the worst of the three. This is because, IMO, going out costs a fortune or it used to anyway, the only thing to do is to go to nightclubs. It's surprisingly trendy - similar to Cork in that regard. And most of all, compared to Dublin and def. Galway, you can't really go out and just have the craic with randomers, there is a real clicky thing which I don't like now when I go back. I only really seen it when I returned after living in other places. That is the worst of all. Nice people there, mind you, just hard to get to know them though.

Just my honest opinion. Dublin is grand never any hassle here Galway is grand, great craic for a while, but you can't really get your ****e together.

Are you joking me? The amount of times I've went to the pub alone and made new friends out in Limerick is ridiculous. This is one thing I missed when I lived in Dublin ironically enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Cork, boy.

Main reason being is that the bouncers won't let me in anywhere. Nothing to do with me looking dodgy. Everything to do with me having a slight Dublin accent, and the Corkonian sense of inferiority when confronted with Dubs.

Ironically I'm a Leixliplian, not a Dub, but every bouncer in Cork consistently stops me when they hear my accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Your ma is sooooo fat she is the worst city in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They're all f**king kips, Dublin the worst of all........Junkies roaming the main street by day.......
    Limerick has gone down hill rapidly in the last few years, Galway is full of pretentious wannbe be leftie hippy f**ks. It's just one big front.....
    Cork is ok, but too parochial, Waterford and KK best avoided........

You sound like you're good craic...

By international standards Dublin is the only real city in ireland. For the purposes of this thread I suppose Galway is my favourite. I suppose im biased since I was born here and have lived here all my life but I still love it! Cork is nice too I have spent some time there. Dublin is ok, the centre is nice enough but some of the posher suburbs are truely beautiful. I don't like Limerick at all. I have family and friends there so I visit it regularly and its ugly and full of knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Dublin´s the best city in Ireland without a shadow of a doubt.

Why does everyone love galway so much? The city is nice enough during the day but jesus it´s the seventh circle of hell at night. Supermacs and taxi queues. Drags in all sorts of backward culchies and wannabe-knacker boyracers with crap buzzcuts and eyebrow piercings who´d crap their pants if they spent an hour in Jobstown.
    Not to mention this bunch of sexually frustrated spastics. I bet they all went home alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

grindle wrote: »
    Have to say, blokey lads and girls of all kinds tend not to notice this crap as much.
    They think "Everyone's just a person, we're all the same.", just because they're not the target.
    Ah no I don't think that, but to me, a dangerous place is one where you feel unsafe all the time.
    Cork, boy.

Main reason being is that the bouncers won't let me in anywhere. Nothing to do with me looking dodgy. Everything to do with me having a slight Dublin accent, and the Corkonian sense of inferiority when confronted with Dubs.

Ironically I'm a Leixliplian, not a Dub, but every bouncer in Cork consistently stops me when they hear my accent.
    Yeah I've heard bouncers seem to have a particularly bad attitude in general in Cork - places that think they're "a cut above" probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I attended college for a while in Limerick and enjoyed the experience. Never really had much aggro and found the people for the most part to be sound, a few eejits of course but you'll get that anywhere. I also enjoyed the social scene, some nice bars and clubs to cater for a range of different tastes.

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah no I don't think that, but to me, a dangerous place is one where you feel unsafe all the time.

That proves my point to a tee.
    You don't feel unsafe, therefore it's not a dangerous place.
    I feel unsafe, therefore it is.

Or were you being ironic?

Not just me, people in general.

Dudess wrote: »
    Not just me, people in general.

Strange to read that, given your usual distaste for generalisations.

So, if a certain pub was known to be frequented by homophobes (or any other bigots), does it only become threateningly homophobic (or whatever) once a homosexual (or <insert threatened minority here>) steps through the doors?

Myself, I'd feel comfortable saying "That's the pub with the bigots.", and not dancing around the issue.
    Your logic would suggest "I'm not gay - most people aren't - therefore this pub is not filled with bigots."

• Advertisement

Oh come on! This stems from you saying Ennis is a dangerous place in an overall sense. We both know Ennis is not a dangerous place overall. People in Cork say stuff like "Oh Douglas has gotten really rough" because of a few skangers hanging around Spar. A few groups do not sum up an area in its entirety. If a list of the hardest places in Ireland was compiled, Ennis would not be there! I'm not disputing Ennis could have a share of little sh1tbags who intimidate people, especially those they perceive as "weird" but to say that makes Ennis a dangerous, scary place is disingenuous and does a disservice to those who actually have to live in areas with a lot of intimidation and crime.

Advertisement