Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever lost the rag and trottled a skobe on the street?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

But why is it that your so called mates who know kendo, karate, judo, kickboxing and all that other lark seem to disappear when trouble starts. I have a mate (loosely defined) that spends his evening in one class or other doing all this and when it kicked off once with him walking down Grafton St one night he was nowhere to be seen.

The more you train in martial arts, the more you learn about real-world fighting, and the less you want to participate. There are too many variables that you're not in charge of. You don't know what drugs/substances the instigator is pepped up on etc. Having said that, if the situation demanded, I'd stand my ground.

Two years ago, I was in the Capitol cinema in Cork, waiting for a film to start watching the trailers. The main screen there was quite spacious with biggish spaces between the rows. Next minute, there's a young lad running along my row and he jumps clean over my legs and runs off. Gave me a surprise. However, I turned to see his friend following him. This time, I raised up my leg just enough to clip the second guy and bring him smashing to the floor. Oops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Giblet wrote:
    So Brian, I presume both of them went to Jail then if this really happened.

Both of them returned to their respective jobs in England within a couple of days. This was 1988.

The bully's parents wanted to press charges but no witnesses testified against them. I believe that the bully did not want to take the matter further for fear of another reprisal. In any case the identity of the other brothers was not known to the bully.

Was it over the top?

Yes. For a start they were twice his age (as well as size) and did not 'need' the weapons.

Should they have been punished?

Yes - but only if counter charges of bullying were brought against the 12 year old bully. After all, if he didn't make so many people's life a misery the attack on him would never have happened. There's not much point in punishing the retaliators but letting the instigator off without penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

I declare you a "skobe"!

Now please present your self how i may trottle thee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

One or two minor skirmishes with scobes but I've had more with middle class students who can't handle their drink. My observation would be that most male aggression comes down to sexual frustration. Late at night, boozed up, no luck with ladies, find someone to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I would say that story recounted by Brian Capture is fictional.

I think that line should be in the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

ntlbell wrote:
    Not to a "skobe" I did put a motorcycle helmet through a little mammys boy from D4 driver door window for cutting me up on stephens green.

"So I walks up to em; Casual lioke"

And you got away with it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Advertisement