Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Starts off with nuketown and then it's a stupid music video

Didn't even have the decency to be a rick roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Do not insult Epic Sax man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

donmeister wrote: »
    Do not insult Epic Sax man.

Its an unreal tune to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

I’m going to go “out there” with this comment which will understandably get a lot of people’s backs up but I felt it’s only right to give my honest opinion.

A lot of these comments about lag compensation make it appear as though the issue is very frequent, almost on a 1:1 ratio.

For me, I use a 60MB fibre optic broadband (I have access to 100mb but I’ve no need to use it, even then there has been next to no difference in my experience of multiplayer between the two).

I play with a group of guys I play alongside that will mix between HCTF and groundwar, or if I find myself on my own I’ll play some core HQ.

Now before I go on further, and without sounding egotistical I’m ranked 2421 in the world overall based on score, and I’ve a current average SPM of 381 (it varies between game types on HCTF I have 409 on HQ I have 387 etc, (think it maybe went down last evening to 351 due to some messing around).

I’m an objective player so I find myself aiming for the objective to arm/defend/capture, whatever, and make kills from the point of the objective. My K/D is only 1.00/0.99 at the moment, but I can honestly say this is because as I’ve said, I’m more objective based, I would rather hide and grab the objective and then engage the enemy.

Most gun battles 1vs1 I win unless over range as I’ll use either an SMG or the KAP-40 (single wield), however once in a blue moon (I think for example a week ago) there was a game that I seemed much slower than my opponents. There was no noticeable lag other than my team mates where complaining of something being very seriously wrong with the server, next game was the same, so we backed out and re-entered into a different lobby and it seemed fine afterwards, its happened once or twice since then .

I think it’s also important to add that I’m not host very often, but when I am I still don’t notice any difference.

It would be something we wouldn’t normally complain about simply because it’s not something we notice often, generally the enemies are much slower anyway so even if there was some slight lag compensation it wouldn’t matter much . That said, I know for a few guys picked this up over the last day or two and who haven’t mentioned anything about lag or any lag related issues in game. If they have a bad game they know it’s down to their level of skill during that game than anything else.

I think the term lag compensation and latency issues are banded about all too often and it’s because we are all too aware of the issue that makes it so easy to blame it on.

For me, a lot of players complaining about these issues constantly are those who have not yet adjusted to the speed and pace of BlOps2 as opposed to BlOps1.

BlOps2s’ pace rivals that of MW2/3 and so I personally find that this game is better handled by those who are used to a lot going on at once than those who approach with caution.

My difference is that I hated MW2/3, yet my style of play has not changed since BlOps, it was hard getting used to the speed of the players, and the aggressive attack/defence nature of the players (as opposed to half ass-ing it in the middle of the map), but I got there, adapted and now it works.

TL;DR

I think there’s too much blame being shifted onto this lag compensation issue. Yes there can be lag issues on a yellow bar, but nothing as bad that it should impact your style of play by anything more than that a few extra deaths.

I play with a clan of 81 Irish members, at least 30 of those are regularly active on blops and maybe only 5-10 of those have ever experienced this issue, or at least told us about it, and at that maybe only 1-2 people get it badly per evening.

My point is, I don’t play much outside the community but I think that based on the scale I have at hand the problem isn’t as big as everyone here is making it out to be, to me, it simply seems like a lot of whining and moaning about a bad game or two following on from maybe what the player thinks was a “good” or at least “average” game.

Don’t get me wrong, I see people complaining all over the internet about this issue, but again, to me, it looks as though it’s just another normal player having another normal bad game and looking at something to blame it on.

Then again I could be totally wrong and just extremely fortunate, but some of the top players in BlOps2 have various youtube vids and blogs etc and browsing some of them I can’t see lag compensation being a major issue, it may have been touched on, but it’s never a recurring theme, and as such doesn’t appear to be a huge issue, at least not with them.

I sincerely apologise about the length of this post, it went on a bit more than expected. I’d just like to add that I’m open to criticism of my opinion but it is only that, I don’t claim to know everything if anything about the technical aspect of lag compensation, just enough to know it doesn’t appear to affect myself and the group I play with in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

@mlindsay215

I do like this game and it generally plays ok but every now and again (& it's frequent enough) it becomes unplayable. I've had sessions where I literally can't kill anyone. I'm no great player but have played COD online since MW2 and know my level.

Blops 1 had awful MP when it first released. This went on longer than people seem to remember but it was well over a month until they fixed it. Not saying Blops 2 is going to get better, hope it does but if it stays as is I will be back to MW2 soon and all the fkn hackers!

I agree with a lot of what you say and understand with everyone raging about lag how people think this is what is getting them killed when it's really just bad play & know this has happened to me. But game's still broken in its' current state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

@mlindsay215

"I think the term lag compensation and latency issues are banded about all too often and it’s because we are all too aware of the issue that makes it so easy to blame it on."

Oh where to start.....

If you’re not seeing any issues good for you, and I do mean that. But a lot of people are very experienced players with years of time put into these games. We know when there is an Issue with the connection..

I play for fun so dying a lot does in no way bother me, so i would never use any excuses. however my gripes with the current net code in MW3 and Blops2 are, I think, justafied. Simply put the issues need not exist. It clearly benefits a lot of players, and hinders more. As I have said ad nausea, in MW2 and COD4 no one complained about connection issues, as the net code/matchmaking in those games was tested properly and matchmaking was more effective..

IW/SledgeHammer have stated and released patches for "Balancing Lag Comp" In MW3. This was an attempt to make the code more palatable to all. So this is not an excuse, as most people who dont experience it think....The Code have evolved from MW2's thru blops to mw3 and blops 2. Essentially they are now penalizing anyone with a good connection(low ping) , as you are Ignorant of this (you gave you download speed but not your ping) have a read of my post from yesterday. It explains in detail the MW3 coding structure and what the code was attempting to doing, and why so many are having problems..also some of the myths, especially the bandwith one...

Rob

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818074

Well I sincerely hope that for those that suffer from this issue that treyarch do take actions to improve the quality of the game. I think it’s a great game and it would be a shame to move from this to that steaming mess of dirt MW2.

That said if I come across this I will certain keep a note and record it here and likewise with anyone else in the IRLCLAN.

go to speedtests.net and report back you're ping.

also if you play with other players in a party the party leader esemtially does the matchmaking. So if you do start to suffer, change whoever is party leader until you find the best connection. This can also explain why you dont suffer the issue. the regular party leader's connection/ping, might be slightly high.

@Smoking

I would never comment on something I wasn't already familar with. That said, I've been playing from COD1 on the PC to MW right up toour latest release and yes all have had issues at some point regarding lag.

I’m aware that matchmaking uses geolocation tools which is common knowledge to not be at optimal standard part of this being because its very hard to pin point where people are when using a IP.

I also know that this means that you are paired with the wrong people and ping varies, as explained briefly in your thread.

Next is the idle or how much bandwidth the game needs to run to sync up all the clients.
    MW3 has the highest idle out of all the CODs the reason it stress the connection and causes some ping issues.

Finally combine that with is lag compensation with all these issues makes for what the uneducated call, lag, or as it should be known as simply being out of sync with the server.

So I expect there to be some issues when I get tossed into a game when I hear 5 Americans chatting away.
    That said, in the preferences section you have the option between “BEST”, “NORMAL” and “ANY”, if you’re running a lower speed, my advice is run normal, chances are your sync with the host should improve as there will be less to compensate for as you’re not joining games for those with the higher speed connections.

You might state that there are plenty of experienced players and that’s exactly why this problem has been tossed in the air and in my opinion made bigger than it is, but I'm talking specifically about those who are doing well at the game, the question is why, is lag compensation working in their favour all the time? Unlikely. So why are the big players not suffering much from these issues? Why do I not? Why does most of my clan not?

Based on the information and the evidence I have to hand I can only conclude that the problem is not as bad as what the interwebs suggests it is.
    If I had a euro for every time someone was killed and blamed it on lag compensation over the internet and it was likely due to their own error I’d be a billionaire.

Also, my ping averages 5-15, I'm on a very high end package and would be considered optimal in my area.

Also as our regular crowd consists of 30 regulars the party leader is often switched up, and its never consistant (the issue that is), even those who experience the problem the worst state there is no pattern to the problem, its not party leader dependant nor is it region dependant (for example only bad if we play Americans).

That said, I believe there’s far too much speculation on this issue, and unless Treyarch come to us and say, "Ok folks, the issue with the lag compensation has been fixed, here's what was wrong and here's what we've done, have a great day", I simply can't believe the issue is as widespread as the interwebs suggests.

By Treyarch being able to address the issue, based on what they say I will form a conclusion on whether or not the issue "could" be widespread.

@Smoking

I would never comment on something I wasn't already familiar with. That said, I've been playing from COD1 on the PC to MW right up toour latest release and yes all have had issues at some point regarding lag.

I’m aware that matchmaking uses geolocation tools which is common knowledge to not be at optimal standard part of this being because it’s very hard to pin point where people are when using a IP.

Correct, ISP's tend to buy Ip's in bulk. An usually the Ip is still registered with the buyer. If the buyer is in say America, the matchmaking will mistake you for a yank and pop you into a lobby oover there, 3arc said they were changing to an ping-priority based matchmaking, yet I’m still getting into American lobbies as well. So the matchmaking is still buggy...

I also know that this means that you are paired with the wrong people and ping varies, as explained briefly in your thread.

Yes, but as I also explained, the lower the ping, the grater the punishment

Next is the idle or how much bandwidth the game needs to run to sync up all the clients.
    MW3 has the highest idle out of all the CODs the reason it stress the connection and causes some ping issues.

10/mb per hour is tiny, Blops 2 's bandwidth is actually smaller than WAW's even with theater mode. Even as host the bandwidth can easily be handled, plus they will check bandwidth when picking the host. A 15 year old 56k dial up modem could handle this game easily, Its not a bandwidth issue. If it was QOS on a router would solve it.

Finally combine that with is lag compensation with all these issues makes for what the uneducated call, lag, or as it should be known as simply being out of sync with the server.

Nope, lag and loss of sync are 2 different things, if you lose sync you will get booted, usually after you stall. you know in a game when everyone moves back and forth, when you /stutter, you know those games where you know your losing the host, and get kicked bak into the lobby, that’s loss of sync (mostly) basically a comms issue with the host and clients. Lag is different as I explained.

So I expect there to be some issues when I get tossed into a game when I hear 5 Americans chatting away.
    That said, in the preferences section you have the option between “BEST”, “NORMAL” and “ANY”, if you’re running a lower speed, my advice is run normal, chances are your sync with the host should improve as there will be less to compensate for as you’re not joining games for those with the higher speed connections.

The ANY/BEST/NORMAL is just lazy in my opinion. If they corrected the net code and tested the matchmaking properly it would be needed. Whatever option you choose, its pot luck. Again it’s not needed, if the backed is good enough. And again, this is not a syncing issue, the host does the syncing, not the clients, they simply respond to the requests from the host.

You might state that there are plenty of experienced players and that’s exactly why this problem has been tossed in the air and in my opinion made bigger than it is, but I'm talking specifically about those who are doing well at the game, the question is why, is lag compensation working in their favor all the time? Unlikely. So why are the big players not suffering much from these issues? Why do I not? Why does most of my clan not?

The majority of BIG youtubers live in large population areas, Uk, USA, mainland europe. Living in a high density area is a huge advantage. As the matchmaking has lots of close/fast (metropolitan areas tend to have far better net than rural) players to pick from. Hence it’s an advantage. So as i stated in my other post, teh closer the ping ranges the less effect the system has. That tends to be why they dont complain, also even with the LAG issues I can still get gameplays, 70-3 yesterday. So as long as they get gameplays why would they complain. And your right it's Unlikely they are having a good experience all the time. However what the actual number is might be 80% of the time, the othr 20% is laggy, Thats far more appealing than having it the other way around.

Based on the information and the evidence I have to hand I can only conclude that the problem is not as bad as what the interwebs suggests it is.
    If I had a euro for every time someone was killed and blamed it on lag compensation over the internet and it was likely due to their own error I’d be a billionaire.

I would agree with that but only to an extent. However there are legitimate problems with the net code/lag comp in MW3 and now Blops 2, simply ignoring them will not make the go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

If you're ping is so low and your connection so great then surely you know that your online experience isn't representative of what the vast majority of players experience in online play?

Speedtest/pingtest have a stat that tell you what % better than the rest of the country, mine is slower than 60% of the country, I'd wager that yours is in the top 10% beaten only by large businesses and centres of education and as such you're a poor barometer to judge connection issues for the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If you aren't seeing the lag/connection problems you're one of the lucky ones, it's definitely there

yimrsg wrote: »
    If you're ping is so low and your connection so great then surely you know that your online experience isn't representative of what the vast majority of players experience in online play?

Speedtest/pingtest have a stat that tell you what % better than the rest of the country, mine is slower than 60% of the country, I'd wager that yours is in the top 10% beaten only by large businesses and centres of education and as such you're a poor barometer to judge connection issues for the majority.

Your correct my online experience wouldn’t be a great representative of what the vast majority of players experience if it where based soley on speeds.

That said, that’s what lag compensation is about, at a higher connection I’m supposed to suffer MORE because I’m supposed to be keeping in with the average.

Yes mine is at 80% faster, but as I stated with the net code being used this should prove as a hindrance to me, take my brothers connection for example, he’s on 10mb SKY broadband and he suffers next to no issues as do I, we play in servers almost every night for a number of hours and would be lucky to run into this issue once.

Therefore, because of how the lag compensation works I should actually be in the best position to be a barometer to judge connections because theoretically I should suffer the most.

Even Smoking agrees :
    Yes, but as I also explained, the lower the ping, the grater the punishment

My ping is very low.
    If you aren't seeing the lag/connection problems your one of the lucky ones, it's definitely there.

I’ve confirmed it is, and I appreciate there are many who claim to suffer these issues, my point is simply I don’t believe it to be as bad as it’s made out, that said, I could be totally wrong, I’d only be too happy to be wrong in this case.
    Nope, lag and loss of sync are 2 different things, if you lose sync you will get booted, usually after you stall. you know in a game when everyone moves back and forth, when you /stutter, you know those games where you know your losing the host, and get kicked bak into the lobby, that’s loss of sync (mostly) basically a comms issue with the host and clients. Lag is different as I explained.

Consider when one person gets the connection interrupted message and nobody else does, he completely loses sync with the host, but his connection reboots instantly and hits a speed faster than the host to draw even and he comes back into the game as though nothing had happened, this is where I derive my point from.

Lag as we know is caused by increased pings through packet loss, completely different I agree, but this was not what I meant, I apologise if this is how I came across, I meant that people call becoming out of sync lag, therefore, uneducated in what lag and syncing out actually is.

Glad to see some sensible discussion on this topic, it's about time we picked apart the technical aspects of this lag compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Would the lack of problems have anything to do with the game type you play?
    I think the majority play tdm,dom and groundwar, so chances of coming across lag would be higher in a higher populated playlists?
    Maybe in the playlists you play in,with lower population, there might be more teams playing or more people playing closer to the region.
    From my experience on mw3, I'd generally have no problems in the merc playlist or playing on my own.The minute I'd jump in with a party I'd lag out or if I went into ground war it was just lag city the majority of the time.

You'd think so, but it's unlikely, that said (and I realise my initial post was TL:DR, but I did say)
    I play with a group of guys I play alongside that will mix between HCTF and groundwar, or if I find myself on my own I’ll play some core HQ.

So it's unlikely to be the game type I play.

Lag as we know is caused by increased pings through packet loss, completely different I agree, but this was not what I meant, I apologise if this is how I came across, I meant that people call becoming out of sync lag, therefore, uneducated in what lag and syncing out actually is.

Not thru packet loss, packet loss is something different, Tcp/ip has a handshake protocol. When computerA sends TCP/IP packets to computerB, the header in those packets contains data. one of the pieces of data is how many packets were sent and what number packet it is itself. Say 10 packets are sent. compuetrB gets all of them except packet 2, it need to request that packet again to have all tha packets. Thats packet loss. If you have packet loss, your in mighty big trouble, Lag in the traditional sence is caused by the difference in pings. someone with 5ms ping vs someopne with 200ms ping for instance, The player with the 5ms ping has a 195ms advantage, so if both players turn a corner the 5ms player will see player2 195ms sooner, hence the advantage,

Ping is more or less determined by hops on the internet. When you ping a computer in london say. The signal goes thru various routers and switches until it gets to it's intended target. The more hops the slower the connection, because once the data hits a switch or router, it need to be processed, re-routed, wait in a que, wait for info from a routing table and so on. That's what really causes lag. open a CMD prompt and tracert a server/website somewhere, all the hops are servers/switches/routers redirecting the data.

I'm not sure how the host handles player who become out of sync, but I should imagine it's quite rare, There are 2 types, asynchronous communication and synchronous, asynchronous is most common with computer comms (If COD uses async) there different ways of setting it up, but all in all its a very reliable protocol, hence i dont think its a cause of the vast majority of issues.

Glad to see some sensible discussion on this topic, it's about time we picked apart the technical aspects of this lag compensation.[/QUOTE]

could'nt agree more :)

You’ll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject I’m still learning, I was on the understanding that when your send data from your pc to the host or vice versa, its goes from your xbox, through your home network, to the isp's dns servers (for example think satnav) then through the XLSP gateway (which is xbl's own little routing and verification stop off) then to the host (or in some games cases the dedicated servers) and/or to the games own servers that sit behind the xlps gateway. These game servers in the case of cod are where the stats and elite servers sit. The time it takes to travel through all this is "ping" and is dependent on many factors, as not all data travels by the fastest path as the internet like a road system has bottle necks, broken paths and traffic jams. Data hops between faster fibre optic lines and slower adsl lines, through various and servers before it reaches the required place. Therefore as the data hops, it loses packets, therefore whilst not causing lag it’s a clear indication of it.

That said, I feel we’re striving a little off topic, whilst this is very interesting let’s stick to lag compensation and its causes and methods to improve/prevent as opposed to the topics around it.

My ping is 37ms with 0 packet loss and 2ms jitter, some games I can do great others the lag is atrocious! I'd imagine that when I'm doing well the lad on the other side it's raging as its him suffering from lag/connection. Surely something will be done!?

IPAM wrote: »
    My ping is 37ms with 0 packet loss and 2ms jitter, some games I can do great others the lag is atrocious! I'd imagine that when I'm doing well the lad on the other side it's raging as its him suffering from lag/connection. Surely something will be done!?

Here's hoping, I doubt we will be rid of lag compensation altogether, but hopefully they can make it a little more....forgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Glad to see some sensible discussion on this topic, it's about time we picked apart the technical aspects of this lag compensation.

God damn freaking hackers using their lag switches and watching japanese porn while playing. That's as technical as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I’m going to go “out there” with this comment which will understandably get a lot of people’s backs up but I felt it’s only right to give my honest opinion.

A lot of these comments about lag compensation make it appear as though the issue is very frequent, almost on a 1:1 ratio.

For me, I use a 60MB fibre optic broadband (I have access to 100mb but I’ve no need to use it, even then there has been next to no difference in my experience of multiplayer between the two).

Now before I go on further, and without sounding egotistical I’m ranked 2421 in the world overall based on score, and I’ve a current average SPM of 381 (it varies between game types on HCTF I have 409 on HQ I have 387 etc, (think it maybe went down last evening to 351 due to some messing around).

I’m an objective player so I find myself aiming for the objective to arm/defend/capture, whatever, and make kills from the point of the objective. My K/D is only 1.00/0.99 at the moment, but I can honestly say this is because as I’ve said, I’m more objective based, I would rather hide and grab the objective and then engage the enemy.

Most gun battles 1vs1 I win unless over range as I’ll use either an SMG or the KAP-40 (single wield), however once in a blue moon (I think for example a week ago) there was a game that I seemed much slower than my opponents. There was no noticeable lag other than my team mates where complaining of something being very seriously wrong with the server, next game was the same, so we backed out and re-entered into a different lobby and it seemed fine afterwards, its happened once or twice since then .

I think it’s also important to add that I’m not host very often, but when I am I still don’t notice any difference.

It would be something we wouldn’t normally complain about simply because it’s not something we notice often, generally the enemies are much slower anyway so even if there was some slight lag compensation it wouldn’t matter much . That said, I know for a few guys picked this up over the last day or two and who haven’t mentioned anything about lag or any lag related issues in game. If they have a bad game they know it’s down to their level of skill during that game than anything else.

I think the term lag compensation and latency issues are banded about all too often and it’s because we are all too aware of the issue that makes it so easy to blame it on.

For me, a lot of players complaining about these issues constantly are those who have not yet adjusted to the speed and pace of BlOps2 as opposed to BlOps1.

BlOps2s’ pace rivals that of MW2/3 and so I personally find that this game is better handled by those who are used to a lot going on at once than those who approach with caution.

My difference is that I hated MW2/3, yet my style of play has not changed since BlOps, it was hard getting used to the speed of the players, and the aggressive attack/defence nature of the players (as opposed to half ass-ing it in the middle of the map), but I got there, adapted and now it works.

TL;DR

I think there’s too much blame being shifted onto this lag compensation issue. Yes there can be lag issues on a yellow bar, but nothing as bad that it should impact your style of play by anything more than that a few extra deaths.

I play with a clan of 81 Irish members, at least 30 of those are regularly active on blops and maybe only 5-10 of those have ever experienced this issue, or at least told us about it, and at that maybe only 1-2 people get it badly per evening.

My point is, I don’t play much outside the community but I think that based on the scale I have at hand the problem isn’t as big as everyone here is making it out to be, to me, it simply seems like a lot of whining and moaning about a bad game or two following on from maybe what the player thinks was a “good” or at least “average” game.

Don’t get me wrong, I see people complaining all over the internet about this issue, but again, to me, it looks as though it’s just another normal player having another normal bad game and looking at something to blame it on.

Then again I could be totally wrong and just extremely fortunate, but some of the top players in BlOps2 have various youtube vids and blogs etc and browsing some of them I can’t see lag compensation being a major issue, it may have been touched on, but it’s never a recurring theme, and as such doesn’t appear to be a huge issue, at least not with them.

I sincerely apologise about the length of this post, it went on a bit more than expected. I’d just like to add that I’m open to criticism of my opinion but it is only that, I don’t claim to know everything if anything about the technical aspect of lag compensation, just enough to know it doesn’t appear to affect myself and the group I play with in a big way.

Take a look at this so:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEm5XhoeuN8

@mlindsay215

"I think the term lag compensation and latency issues are banded about all too often and it’s because we are all too aware of the issue that makes it so easy to blame it on."

Oh where to start.....

If you’re not seeing any issues good for you, and I do mean that. But a lot of people are very experienced players with years of time put into these games. We know when there is an Issue with the connection..

I play for fun so dying a lot does in no way bother me, so i would never use any excuses. however my gripes with the current net code in MW3 and Blops2 are, I think, justafied. Simply put the issues need not exist. It clearly benefits a lot of players, and hinders more. As I have said ad nausea, in MW2 and COD4 no one complained about connection issues, as the net code/matchmaking in those games was tested properly and matchmaking was more effective..

IW/SledgeHammer have stated and released patches for "Balancing Lag Comp" In MW3. This was an attempt to make the code more palatable to all. So this is not an excuse, as most people who dont experience it think....The Code have evolved from MW2's thru blops to mw3 and blops 2. Essentially they are now penalizing anyone with a good connection(low ping) , as you are Ignorant of this (you gave you download speed but not your ping) have a read of my post from yesterday. It explains in detail the MW3 coding structure and what the code was attempting to doing, and why so many are having problems..also some of the myths, especially the bandwith one...

Rob

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818074

Thanks Rob. My ping is consistently 5ms so now I know whay I am very much on the wrong side of Lag Comp. Infuriating.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Would the lack of problems have anything to do with the game type you play?
    I think the majority play tdm,dom and groundwar, so chances of coming across lag would be higher in a higher populated playlists?
    Maybe in the playlists you play in,with lower population, there might be more teams playing or more people playing closer to the region.
    From my experience on mw3, I'd generally have no problems in the merc playlist or playing on my own.The minute I'd jump in with a party I'd lag out or if I went into ground war it was just lag city the majority of the time.

Absolutely. I cant play in large team games the "out of sync" (to be politically correct) issue is massive. I am dead sometimes before I even see the other player, but most games the other guy has got 3-4 rounds off before I shoot, even though on my screen it appears I have shot first.

For this reason the only enjoyable games (fair games) I get are in Free for All, and even then 50% are troublesome. I have also experienced games where I get the kill way too easy and also looked at the game via theatre to see that even though I thought I should be dead the server was behind me, therefore I win the gunfight.

Summary is in FFA only, its FAIR 50%, UNFAIR to me 40% and UNFAIR to opposition 10%.

It is completely messed up and if you arnt seeing any problems and win the large majority of gunfights then the chances are that you have the advantage of the code. CLAN or NO CLAN.

GEO147 wrote: »
    It is completely messed up and if you arnt seeing any problems and win the large majority of gunfights then the chances are that you have the advantage of the code. CLAN or NO CLAN.

Advantage of the code? Just to clarify, you must mean luck here, right?

The reason I ask is simply because no individual can have an advantage of the code unless of course your the averge ping player which from my end would be difficult.

GEO147 wrote: »
    Thanks Rob. My ping is consistently 5ms so now I know whay I am very much on the wrong side of Lag Comp. Infuriating.

Yep, thats why u are getting hammered. I bet mw3 was a whole lotta fun for you :)

Yep, thats why u are getting hammered. I bet mw3 was a whole lotta fun for you :)

Yeah got hammered in that aswell but didnt really like the game anyway. Problem is I really like Blops 2 but it is just unplayable most of the time. I relly hope they fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Bullets that go around corners annoy me the most. I know I have hidden behind a big wall but I still die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Bullets that go around corners annoy me the most. I know I have hidden behind a big wall but I still die.

i know exactly what you mean, FMJ is one thing, but it defies belief in a lot of situations, seems to go through a lot more, they need to tweak the effects of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

corner-gun-431x300.jpg

• Advertisement

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i know exactly what you mean, FMJ is one thing, but it defies belief in a lot of situations, seems to go through a lot more, they need to tweak the effects of it.

It not FMJ it's lag. Your screen shows you around the corner, the enemy screen still shows you before you've turned the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Using a shotgun you really see the lag in the killcams. You clearly shoot the enemy but in the killcam you're just standing there looking at him.

IPAM wrote: »
    It not FMJ it's lag. Your screen shows you around the corner, the enemy screen still shows you before you've turned the corner

i was crouching behind the the fountain on raid last night, when an enemy sniper fires from a window and kills me, the killcam clearly showed the bullet penetrating at least 5 feat of concrete and killing me. That's lag, i dont think so.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i was crouching behind the the fountain on raid last night, when an enemy sniper fires from a window and kills me, the killcam clearly showed the bullet penetrating at least 5 feat of concrete and killing me. That's lag, i dont think so.

You quoted a lad clearly talking about lag an put it down to FMJ

Edit: when I said "your" it was a general term not specific to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Might try hardcore tonight before usual suspects come on. Always found it handy for levelling up guns. And setting up a tent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Traded in the game there for Far Cry 3 there. Didn't really have to whatsoever as money isn't an issue, and a part of me didn't want to admittedly but I just figured with some games I want to get through over the next couple of months, play time would be minimal on it. There are other factors too such as BF3's latest DLC renewing my love for that game after a two month break thus now covering my online multiplayer fix if need be (yeah, yeah I shouldn't say that on here probably but.. meh!). Far Cry also has online multiplayer so I'm covered in that area. I think what made my mind up was the removal of a Nuketown only playlist which something I couldn't really stand for to be honest. A real let down and if anyone has taken note out of any of my comments be it here, Twitter, Skype or IRL, you'd know that the Nuketown playlist was the main selling point for me. It was the only one actually. Maybe there was something in the small print but either way, that was a disgusting move by Activision and/or Treyarch.

That's nothing on the actual game itself as I quite enjoy it despite some flaws, especially after the pathetic effort of last year's game. Not saying much I suppose. But yeah, I do like Black Ops II, there is no doubt in my mind there is more positive than negative. Perhaps I'll pick it up again on the cheap in the New Year sometime, who knows.

For me, CoD multiplayer wise now -

CoD4 > CoD2 > BOPS I > BOPS II >>>>>>> CoD3 >>> running down the wrong side of a free flowing motorway while in flames >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MW3 :)

Oh and I should also point out that I got €35 for it in HMV too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Lol at the MW3 comment. Where's MW2 in that list? My all time fav and no-one can convince me otherwise.

I wish I could stop buying COD, for a while. I think they are taking the piss the way ther fan base is treated. There's too many things they could be fixing. For all the faults they're not bad games imo, it's just they could be so much better and for all the money made surely the lag issue could be fixed/improved.

Hearing good things about Far Cry but have too many games on the go now to pick it up at the momement. Expect a review in the off topic thread ealy next week especially MP experience. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Was ranked 13 in the Moshpit Master league and 18 in the Champion Master league before it went to preseason :(

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Lol at the MW3 comment. Where's MW2 in that list? My all time fav and no-one can convince me otherwise.

I wish I could stop buying COD, for a while. I think they are taking the piss the way ther fan base is treated. There's too many things they could be fixing. For all the faults they're not bad games imo, it's just they could be so much better and for all the money made surely the lag issue could be fixed/improved.

Hearing good things about Far Cry but have too many games on the go now to pick it up at the momement. Expect a review in the off topic thread ealy next week especially MP experience. :)

I was just gonna describe a scene out of one of the Final Destination or Saw movies being a better experience than MW3 originally. But the effort of that :P

Completely forgot about MW2! Tad embarrassed at that :o Probably near equal with BOPS II despite all it's flaws and my near constant rage at it :) Bit of patching and far more common sense applied to certain aspects and it'd have been above Black Ops I for me probably.

[Off topic] The harshest of critics loved the game and gave it a 10 out of 10 or a 9 at the very worst. While reviews from gaming media isn't the be all to end all, and something I really take note of in passing more than anything, when the likes of Eurogamer, etc give it a 10 out of 10, as a gamer you've got to stand up and take notice. Tbf, it's the open world aspect that drags me in. It'll keep me ticking over till V hopefully.[/off topic]

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

[Off topic] The harshest of critics loved the game and gave it a 10 out of 10 or a 9 at the very worst. While reviews from gaming media isn't the be all to end all, and something I really take note of in passing more than anything, when the likes of Eurogamer, etc give it a 10 out of 10, as a gamer you've got to stand up and take notice. Tbf, it's the open world aspect that drags me in. It'll keep me ticking over till V hopefully.[/off topic]

I thought the single player in FC 2 was fantastic so will definitely be picking up the new one at some point. Will wait a few months and nab it on the cheap though I reckon. Still have Assassins Creed 3 sitting in its box without being touched as Halo 4 and Blops 2 have been keeping me pretty occupied (still not finished campaign in either yet).

I traded in BF3 a few weeks ago, never really got into the multi player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Is it working for anyone on PS3 at the moment ? I can't login online and play.. says server us bit available as this time.

Also when i try play local bot game the game gives me a black screen.. but i can see the black ops logo in the bottom corner ... Is my PS3 f!_!cked ?

NeVeR wrote: »
    Is it working for anyone on PS3 at the moment ? I can't login online and play.. says server us bit available as this time.

Also when i try play local bot game the game gives me a black screen.. but i can see the black ops logo in the bottom corner ... Is my PS3 f!_!cked ?

Working fine for me on PS3, just had a game no problems.

Does the game automatically save movies of your matches as you play them does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Does the game automatically save movies of your matches as you play them does anyone know?

if theatre mode is on then yeah, but it'll eventually overwrite them unless you bookmark then

krudler wrote: »
    if theatre mode is on then yeah, but it'll eventually overwrite them unless you bookmark then

Do you bookmark before or after the match? I bookmarked one lastnight but I think it bookmarked the next match on me because I did it after.

Do you bookmark before or after the match? I bookmarked one lastnight but I think it bookmarked the next match on me because I did it after.

I think it's in the after match summery that you bookmark the gameplay, x button on Xbox I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you can do it after in the screen where it gives your stats and medals etc, or go into theatre mode and itll have 20 or so last games and you can do it there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Just finished the campaign there,quite enjoyed it,much better than MW3's dung

got the ending where
    mend...ya man kills woods then goes off and burns off his face...I presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    The only way to get a better Ending than that is:

Let Harper die in the mission where you play Farid, Farid saves Chloe Lynch if you killed the guy on Colossus before he kidnaps her. Chloe then restores the US drones back to the US Obama and Menendez can't escape.

Sounds like I'll have to play it again. I probably got the most basic boring story.
    Let Haper survive with Farid, and killed Menendez at the end playing as David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

EVERYONE USE ALL THE SPOILERS

• Advertisement
Advertisement