Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

Two weeks into this programme, and I can easily say this is the toughest thing I have ever done in my life. Can be very time consuming, this way of life, just as well I'm a student with loads of free time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I'm on my last week of it now, I think I have 6 days left after today (including my final fit test) absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Did my first day of 'Insanity' last Sunday and I really went for it - gave 110% throughout the whole session - nearly killed myself. Felt great afterwards.

Next day I couldn't walk, was in agony with cramps and lactic acid - everywhere! Only now recovered and able to do another session.

I will have to do a few 2 - 3 break in sessions to get ready before i go for the 60 days with any consistency...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

dee. wrote: »
    I'm on my last week of it now, I think I have 6 days left after today (including my final fit test) absolutely love it.

Will you keep going? Will you keep doing it, everyday? a few times a week? Or are you finished with it now? Did you see good results from doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Locust wrote: »
    Will you keep going? Will you keep doing it, everyday? a few times a week? Or are you finished with it now? Did you see good results from doing it?

I lost about 30lbs during it, I had quite a bit to lose so maybe thats why it came off for me. Tomorrow is my official/last "weigh in day" of the Insanity program (i weigh myself every day, but only count the weight I am on wednesday mornings as my official weight) and I don't think think I have lost anything this week, but i'm not too bothered about that.

I did Insanity along with eating a low-carb vegetarian diet, I didn't bother following (or even looking at) their nutrition plan because I knew i'd never stick to it. But I definitely think eating relatively healthy helped.

I want to do Turbo Fire next, which is another workout program by the same company who make Insanity (beachbody) but its 90 days and i'm going away for two weeks in early September so I don't want to start something and take a break..I prefer to just get stuck in and get it done...

So i'm going to start Couch to 5k next week (which i'll still be able to do on holidays with the app on my iphone) and i'll re-do the first month of Insanity for the next four weeks. Month 2 has better results but i'm so bored of the second month workouts now, it'll be nice to go back to the shorter/less intense videos for a few weeks!

After I come back from my holiday i'll keep going with C25K and probably begin TurboFire.

As for the people who said its too hard..when I started I wasn't able to walk up a stairs without feeling out of breath, now i'm working out for 50-60 minutes every morning! And I love it because even though i'm able to do the moves easier now, I work out just as much as the beginning, because I still push myself hard :D

The difference in my stomach and legs is incredible, i'm glad I stuck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Hi OP,

WOW guys a lot of bickering over this, maybe I can shed some light...

Any workout will help you lose weight!
    Any caloric deficit in your diet will also help you lose weight!

For the bickering few, there is more than just creating a caloric deficit, either by exercise or diet, we need to lose fat whilst maintaining lean tissue, that will be the difference between looking like a a graduate from the concentration weight loss camp or looking like a fit and healthy male/female.

Frank

I LOVE this post... hahahahaha. LOVE it.
    Because as I was reading thru the thread, I was just getting more and more angry with those on the "Diet is the most important factor" side of the argument... not because I disagreed with them particularly, but simply coz some of 'em were so damn sanctimonious... so condescending.

This highly knowledgeable response shut them up and I'm delighted. :D
    And I reckon the only reason they were allowed get away with being so sanctimonious, and even received 'thanks', and agreement from others... is coz some of the lads involved are Boards obsessives who've garnered some kind of respect coz they have, like, a zillion posts here.

-Boards is lame sometimes!
    Thank God for normal people like Frank who post once in a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I'm 20 days into it, it's very tough but I getting very good results. Have been reasonably fit but now I getting good definition in the abs and chest. Its great fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Interesting. I am debating whether to start with P90X or Insanity. Its been a few months since I worked out hard. I surf a few times a week. Any ideas on which I should go for. Dont need to loose much weight. Real interested in getting the washboard abs though!

leblanc wrote: »
    Interesting. I am debating whether to start with P90X or Insanity. Its been a few months since I worked out hard. I surf a few times a week. Any ideas on which I should go for. Dont need to loose much weight. Real interested in getting the washboard abs though!

Why not do both? When I am finished Insanity I will move on to P90X. Keep things fresh.

As a sidenote, I find if I get up early before work and do an Insanity workout, I feel great for the day. Makes such a difference not to have to get stuff ready for the gym etc.

and never forgot, FORM OVER POWER PEOPLE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Methven

leblanc wrote: »

Insanity is more for fat burning and P90x more strength based (using body weight). You could always do both. Either one after another or at same time. Here is a link to a hybrid.

http://teamripped.com/p90x-insanity-hybrid

I'm starting Insanity soon but aim to do P90x too after it.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

A girl in work is doing this now, I'll ask her later how she's getting on with it. She has the workout videos on a hard drive and very nicely uploaded them onto my work computer. I'm finished up here next week and I need to find a way of transferring them to my laptop, without bringing that into work. Anyway, I'm going off topic but when I do have the workout videos for home use, I'll start the workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

nbar12 wrote: »
    A girl in work is doing this now, I'll ask her later how she's getting on with it. She has the workout videos on a hard drive and very nicely uploaded them onto my work computer. I'm finished up here next week and I need to find a way of transferring them to my laptop, without bringing that into work. Anyway, I'm going off topic but when I do have the workout videos for home use, I'll start the workout.

OT
    Depending on the size of the folder containing the videos, pick up a USB stick drive or USB hard drive and transfer your files this way ;)
    /OT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

OT
    Depending on the size of the folder containing the videos, pick up a USB stick drive or USB hard drive and transfer your files this way ;)
    /OT

rightio will do, I've tried to upload them onto dropbox but the videos are too large to be uploaded!? I'll pick up a memory stick and hope for the best! If I'm successful, i'll let you's know in case anyone would like to borrow the workout videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I started Insanity last week. Only doing it 3 nights a week as I do weight training as well and don't want to overdo it.

Also started leangains around the same time. I'm down 1.5 kg (from 91 to 89.5) already. \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

I started insanity 60 days ago. I was a size 14-16 weighed 210lbs or 15 stone and 5ft 10. Never exercised, was a total couch potato. I needed to do something about my weight and made my boyf who also had weight issues get into it too. We both joined a gym also to make up for days we couldnt do the workout. He did Rushfit by George St. Pierre, he started at 17 stone, 5ft11 and is now down to 14.5 after 60 days. He is starting to mould abs too which is pretty cool. He is an ex- rugby player who had to give sport up due to a dislocated him (which happened twice) so we literally were starting from scratch as two very unfit eejits who wasted too much time eating junk and not working out.

I began Insanity and got really addicted to the pain I got from it (sounds weird I know), I did it for 40 mins every night without fail (at the start i managed only about 25-30 but still did it) and teamed it with a walk or 40 mins gym time. It was really really hard at the start, I won't lie- I threw up loads afterwards but it was all because I was so unfit. After 30 days I was down a stone and a bit and lost the rest through the last month. I started with a week of Plyometrics and then worked through the DVDs just to have some endurance built up.

Finished yesterday- weighed in at 13 stone or 180lbs according to digital scales. Down to a size 12.

Starting it for another 30 from today to see if i can get to a size 10 by xmas.

I've always had a battle with weight, tried Lipotrim, Atkins and Diet Pills, nothing has worked and I'm not doing the Shakeology part. I'm sticking to the Rushfit diet plan by George St. Pierre which cuts out all power carbs i.e. I can still eat whole meal bread and brown rice just no white bread etc.

I would really recommend it to anyone and recently heard that a local secondary school was starting it up as an extra curricular activity which I think is cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

My local gym are starting a 6 wk programme in oct, its 3 times a wk though(45 mins classes) and costs €250. Am in two minds about giving it ago.

My local gym are starting a 6 wk programme in oct, its 3 times a wk though(45 mins classes) and costs €250. Am in two minds about giving it ago.

You could buy it for a fifth of that price and do it at home 6 days a week - just saying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Methven wrote: »
    You could buy it for a fifth of that price and do it at home 6 days a week - just saying :-)

Ya I thought it was pretty steep too and He said they don't do pay as you go to keep you committed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Where can i get this plan/diet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

Hi,

I have just finished my 30 days and and am on my recovery week before the 30 days max insanity. I love it. Was pretty fit beforehands, but havent changed ny diet and have had a very bad month with parties etc, have become more toned and lost a few pounds. ThinkI will step it up for the next 30 days and do the diet plan and all........oh god , im scared!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Carriexx wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just finished my 30 days and and am on my recovery week before the 30 days max insanity. I love it. Was pretty fit beforehands, but havent changed ny diet and have had a very bad month with parties etc, have become more toned and lost a few pounds. ThinkI will step it up for the next 30 days and do the diet plan and all........oh god , im scared!!! :)

I'm toying with the idea of giving this a lash. Couple of questions though.
    1. Where has the best deal to buy?
    2. Is it crucial you do it every day?

Not being lazy but I run a couple of times a week which I don't want to drop. I wouldn't have the time to do both a run and an additional home workout on the same day.
    I could definitely do with toning up but I'm not a huge fan of free weights or weight machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

donglen wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of giving this a lash. Couple of questions though.
    1. Where has the best deal to buy?
    2. Is it crucial you do it every day?

Not being lazy but I run a couple of times a week which I don't want to drop. I wouldn't have the time to do both a run and an additional home workout on the same day.
    I could definitely do with toning up but I'm not a huge fan of free weights or weight machines.
    Hi,
    I think you can download it online or buy it on donedeal.ie
    You have a rest day - sunday - i would usually go hiking on that day anyway. I would say you can take one or 2 days of during the week and sub it with running, its all about the heart-rate and exercise anyway.
    I'm really enjoying it, I usually do kettlebells, gym , running - so this is a nice change and he works you sooo hard!!

Carrie

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I started it at the end of July and hadnt kicked a football/Ran or done any kind of exercise in years, but decided i was sick of being unhealthy and wanted to try it.

At first i was only able to do 40/50% of each one, but as the days went on I kept at it.

On my last week now and am very happy with the results so far, arms, legs and shoulders have really toned up (with a little weight lifting too) have lost well over a stone. Gonna give it a second round to get to my desired weight/size. Diet was also important. But would recommend anyone who wants to tone/lose weight to give it a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Hi,
    Just gave it a go there. First impressions was it was tough and kept a high pace. Now I'm fit and do a lot of judo and boxing and even I've got to admit I found it tough at some points.

However the chap who does it keeps you motivated and there's a little countdown bar at the bottom which is nice to let you know how much of each rep you've got left.

I'd recommend people give it a go. It's different, fun, easy to do (in the respect that you can do it at home) and keeps you motivated

conor678 wrote: »
    However the chap who does it keeps you motivated and there's a little countdown bar at the bottom which is nice to let you know how much of each rep you've got left.
    That countdown bar is great isn't it? No matter how knackered you feel you can see there is only 'x' amount of time left and can manage to keep going for that long. Such a simple idea but effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

That countdown bar is great isn't it? No matter how knackered you feel you can see there is only 'x' amount of time left and can manage to keep going for that long. Such a simple idea but effective!

It must be a beachbody thing cos it on's Chalean Extreme too, simple but great idea.

It must be a beachbody thing cos it on's Chalean Extreme too, simple but great idea.
    Yeah and Turbofire too. The Insanity one is even better as its really big and counts down the actual 3 min or whatever interval. Very motivating when you feel you absolutely can not keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I'm interested in this program now. I had a pretty bad summer from a fitness perspective with holidays and injuries. My routine of doing weights was interrupted with an accident with a barbell, the leaving cert and then a shoulder injury. I've just got over the injury and physio treatment and now I've started Stronglifts 5x5 again and started eating a calorie surplus because all the muscle mass I previously had is gone.

When I'm done with that I want to do something to lower my Body fat %. I've never been able to get a very low BF%. The lowest it's ever been was this time last year, I think it was around 12-14%. What's happened since is that I get bored, start bingeing and put all the fat back on.

The reason I'm doing Stronglifts first is because, by the looks of the people who have done it, it's solely cardio and about lowering bodyfat. Everyone I've seen is either trying to lose big amounts of fat or is left very skinny just with a six pack at the end, which is not what I want. Does this program have any muscle building aspects I should I just stick with doing Stronglifts first?

Secondly, would I actually be able to do Stronglifts while doing this program? Stronglifts is three days a week, would I just wear myself out?

And finally I've read a lot about people not following the nutrition plan. Now I've found in the past that with programs like this nutrition plans are ridiculously hard to follow because the foods they recommend can't be found in a normal supermarket. Is this one like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've been thinking about doing the insanity 60 day fitness but I'm worried with having a 2 yr old and a 14 week old that it's to much for our house to take, I haven't done any fitness in a year now so feel maybe starting up early morning running for a month or so might be better to get me in shape.
    I've heard the insanity program is fairly intense anyway. Can somebody give their opinion on the best way to start program, would running for a month be better before starting?

Thanks

Advertisement