Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

iLaura wrote: »
    In terms of degree this is how its broken down;

"Award Classification
    Cumulative QCA

3.40 - 1.1

3.00 - 2.1

2.60 - 2.2

2.00 - Third class honors", also known as a pass degree

Plus there are discretionary bands of 0.1, so a QCA of 3.3 puts you in the running for a 1.1, but it's discretionary and subject to your department's criteria (For example, in CSIS if you have a QCA of 3.3, you'll more than likely be bumped up if your FYP has received an A2A2).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    if your FYP has received an A2A2).

I don't know about CSIS but I think it's really unfair that the FYPs are marked this year. Mine was changed only recently by my supervisor who will be correcting it. However, that supervisor hasn't a clue and will surely mess up the marking and/or not take into account the fact it was changed and therefore, even though all my work was done and relevant for the last one, it looks as though I've done nothing for this one. Not to mention the fact that I hadn't a clue what I was doing the whole time and drawing information out of my supervisor was like trying to pull wisdom teeth with your barehands...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Plus there are discretionary bands of 0.1, so a QCA of 3.3 puts you in the running for a 1.1, but it's discretionary and subject to your department's criteria (For example, in CSIS if you have a QCA of 3.3, you'll more than likely be bumped up if your FYP has received an A2A2).

I'm actually the education department rep, and there was a University board meeting concerning this lately. I can't remember the exact figure, but when you use the FYP for the discretionary band you're weighting the FYP x400 times its actual mark. And the use of the word discretionary was being debated as well, because the department aren't actually showing discretion when moving someone up a grade if they're focusing only on one aspect (or something along those lines)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm actually the education department rep, and there was a University board meeting concerning this lately. I can't remember the exact figure, but when you use the FYP for the discretionary band you're weighting the FYP x400 times its actual mark. And the use of the word discretionary was being debated as well, because the department aren't actually showing discretion when moving someone up a grade if they're focusing only on one aspect (or something along those lines)

Just to clarify, that's not the only criteria CSIS use, s'just the one I remembered off the top of my head. Another one is:

"There exist clearly exceptional and mitigating circumstances which have been documented and which the CSIS Department’s Internal Examination Board accepts had a negative impact on the candidate’s performance in assessments and for which allowance has not already been made."

But yeah, the FYP one is a bit weird, seems very harsh that if you're at 3.39 and you get a B1A2 in the FYP you, going by the regulations, don't get the higher award.

Argh, I need to stop procrastinating and study! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

As education department rep you don't by any chance know what the story is in the education department with discretionary bands? What is the criteria they look at?

• Advertisement

phish wrote: »
    As education department rep you don't by any chance know what the story is in the education department with discretionary bands? What is the criteria they look at?

I'm not 100% sure but they currently focus on FYP, which is silly IMO because not everyone does an education based FYP. There was talk the last day about it and Ollie McGarr was mentioning something about moving to the Health Science criteria, though I have zero idea what those are. The discretionary band is still 0.10 of the next degree. I'll hopefully know more next semester when there's more UTEB meetings and I can ask these questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

If I got a grade that corresponds to a 2.2 in 2 modules and then get a 1.1 corresponding grade in another 3 modules would that then give me a 2.1 overall? I'm not sure if that's how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Analogue electronics was dreadful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SuperNova1890

If I got a grade that corresponds to a 2.2 in 2 modules and then get a 1.1 corresponding grade in another 3 modules would that then give me a 2.1 overall? I'm not sure if that's how it works

Short answer yes...

To be honest you would have to calculate it... just add the module QCAs together and divide by number of modules.

Someone did out a QCA calculator which can be found here which may be of some help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

To the poster wondering about compensating fail grades: D1 and D2 grades are known as compensating fail grades. If you get a D1 or D2 in a module(s) you may still progress once your QCA for that semester is above 2.0; you are not obliged to clear them to progress. If your QCA is below 2.0 you will need to repeat them in order to progress.

An F grade is an outright fail: you must repeat this in order to progress irrespective of your QCA.

Repeats of fail grades are capped at C3 too.

TBH, all of this stuff is in the Academic Handbook and it's quite well explained there. You're university students, you're supposed to be capable of independent research and reading!!

Chimaera wrote: »

TBH, all of this stuff is in the Academic Handbook and it's quite well explained there. You're university students, you're supposed to be capable of independent research and reading!!

Finding out the answer is research.

There's something about the "you're ****, you're suppose to be ****" that irks me, even if it's said in jest...

What sort of nerd wastes their time reading the Student Handbook when you can just ask on Boards? :P

What sort of nerd wastes their time reading the Student Handbook when you can just ask on Boards? :P

I actually looked at the handbook today when they updated it...am I a nerd? D:

I actually looked at the handbook today when they updated it...am I a nerd? D:

Well we're using an internet forum that's not Facebook or Twitter. By definition, we're all nerds. :D

Well we're using an internet forum that's not Facebook or Twitter. By definition, we're all nerds. :D

Haha, that's very true. I hate bringing up something I saw on Boards in conversation 'cause then I've to explain what it is and generally get strange looks. But oh well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

If I fail 3 exams, which is kinda looking like it really.. Could I still do semester 2 in Jan/Feb or do I have repeat the semester next year? I'm getting a load of conflicting information about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    If I fail 3 exams, which is kinda looking like it really.. Could I still do semester 2 in Jan/Feb or do I have repeat the semester next year? I'm getting a load of conflicting information about this.

IIRC, I failed three in first semester of first year and repeated them all in August. Continued into semester two and didn't fail any.

I think you're allowed repeat three in one semester or two in each?

My understanding is:

You can repeat them in August. However, if you were to fail more than one next semester, you'd have to repeat the year.

The only time failing more than two modules in a semester is an instant year repeat is when you have Co-op or Erasmus in one semester.

Daniel S wrote: »
    IIRC, I failed three in first semester of first year and repeated them all in August. Continued into semester two and didn't fail any.

I think you're allowed repeat three in one semester or two in each?

I was told that there's a max of two fails that you can have for each semester and you can repeat them in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Pg. 33 of this:

You're only allowed repeat 4 modules from the entire year. It's open to interpretation whether there's a limit of 2 per semester or not. This has been the subject of much discussion in the past and the handbook is not very clear on the matter.

Chimaera wrote: »
    Pg. 33 of this:

You're only allowed repeat 4 modules from the entire year. It's open to interpretation whether there's a limit of 2 per semester or not. This has been the subject of much discussion in the past and the handbook is not very clear on the matter.

It says in the handbook that you can repeat a maximum of two modules from the Autumn Semester? :confused:

It says in the handbook that you can repeat a maximum of two modules from the Autumn Semester? :confused:

My interpretation of that is that you can't progress to the next part of the programme if you've failed more than two modules. The "next part of the programme" would be Co-Op, clinical practice or TP.

So, if you're on Co-op next semester and fail 3 exams, you've only done the Autumn Semester and can't progress to the next part of the programme because you've failed more than two.

However, if you don't have Co-Op next semester you will get to do Spring semester, and as long as you don't fail two modules you'll be able to do the Annual Repeats (which you can do a maximum of 4 of in an academic year).

TBH, my advice to you would be to not worry about it until the results come out. There's no sense worrying about it now because there's nothing you can do about it. Once the results are you'll get an immediate answer specific to your situation.

You could also contact the SU education officer, who might have experience/know who to put you in contact with who can give you a definite anser.

My interpretation of that is that you can't progress to the next part of the programme if you've failed more than two modules. The "next part of the programme" would be Co-Op, clinical practice or TP.

So, if you're on Co-op next semester and fail 3 exams, you've only done the Autumn Semester and can't progress to the next part of the programme because you've failed more than two.

However, if you don't have Co-Op next semester you will get to do Spring semester, and as long as you don't fail two modules you'll be able to do the Annual Repeats (which you can do a maximum of 4 of in an academic year).

TBH, my advice to you would be to not worry about it until the results come out. There's no sense worrying about it now because there's nothing you can do about it. Once the results are you'll get an immediate answer specific to your situation.

You could also contact the SU education officer, who might have experience/know who to put you in contact with who can give you a definite anser.

I know there's no point in getting myself worked up but 6 weeks is kinda a long wait and considering that my exams went awry, I just wanted to know a couple of things that could ease that worries I'll get in the next couple of weeks

My housemate has spent the last hour in the hallway, shaking a bag, clicking his fingers, going in and out slamming the doors, scrapping on something, before leaving and slamming the front door too... I have no idea what he's doing but it's absolutely ridiculous time in the morning to wake the entire house. One of the other housemates went out to talk to him but it didn't stop... I just wanna sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Burn the house down. That'll teach him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Yesterday morning at 4am I was woke up by my house mate bringing about 6 people back. They went into the kitchen and kept me awake all night. I was up at 4am and had a test that evening. Now their all in the kitchen again so I'm stuck in my room :( Didn't even get an apology for waking me up at that time :p

Woo a few of them have left :)

20 days after I first started my exams and an extremely horrible exam today, I am finally finished :D

CSIS is eerily quiet today.

I've been in a lab since 8:30 and no-one else has come in.

This would be in the Woo-Hoo thread, but OH DEAR JESUS IT'S COLD!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I'm so dumb...Gave myself and my FYP supervisor a deadline for Chapter two of the 21st of December. It is now the 22nd and I barely have 500 words done...Oops!

Hopefully my good-natured e-mail to my supervisor to change that deadline and grant holiday wishes goes down well :P

Advertisement