Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Will the library be quiet from 6ish onwards this evening? Was in there this morning but got a horrible window seat with the Sun blinding me :( Might try red raisins but the plugs are always gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Will the library be quiet from 6ish onwards this evening? Was in there this morning but got a horrible window seat with the Sun blinding me :( Might try red raisins but the plugs are always gone :(

The plug between Subway and Starbucks is free at the mo and I can't really see that changing. Red Raisins is near empty

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'm currently on the first floor at the back by the medical books and there's no empty seats around me. It SHOULD start to quieten down though.

I was sitting beside someone in the library today who was listening to clean bandit - rather be on repeat for around an hour :p Kind of ironic how the song kept saying 'no place i'd rather be' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Bed at 1 up at 5:30, do exam at 9 crash then promise myself to never do so much cramming again and get it done during study week. Then repeat for next semesters exams :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Midkemia wrote: »
    Bed at 1 up at 5:30, do exam at 9 crash then promise myself to never do so much cramming again and get it done during study week. Then repeat for next semesters exams :P

I've been doing this cycle for five years. :pac:

I lay down on my bed at 7pm yesterday having been up for about 35 hours cramming for the exam I had yesterday.

I woke up 20 minutes ago, music still playing on my laptop. :o

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I've been doing this cycle for five years. :pac:

I lay down on my bed at 7pm yesterday having been up for about 35 hours cramming for the exam I had yesterday.

I woke up 20 minutes ago, music still playing on my laptop. :o

:eek:

I can never understand you people. I can go to bed at 10 and then get up at 7 to head into the library and I'll be absolutely wrecked, and then it gets harder and harder to sleep as the week goes on. I honestly don't know how ye do it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

iLaura wrote: »
    :eek:

I can never understand you people. I can go to bed at 10 and then get up at 7 to head into the library and I'll be absolutely wrecked, and then it gets harder and harder to sleep as the week goes on. I honestly don't know how ye do it :P

Desperate times etc.

Ompala wrote: »
    Desperate times etc.

Even in past exams I haven't been capable of any of that :P I think I just favor sleep more. Either that or I'm strangely prepared for the exam, which has only happened once...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I dunno, it's always how I've done exams. I mean, I basically went through my Leaving Cert year surviving on, on average, 15 hours sleep during the week, then an epic crash every Friday.
    With college exams, I find I retain way more information if I'm in a complete panic stage. Like, looking back on Sunday night/Monday morning I was like a man possessed frantically typing up notes from notes I'd already typed up. :pac:

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I dunno, it's always how I've done exams. I mean, I basically went through my Leaving Cert year surviving on, on average, 15 hours sleep during the week, then an epic crash every Friday.
    With college exams, I find I retain way more information if I'm in a complete panic stage. Like, looking back on Sunday night/Monday morning I was like a man possessed frantically typing up notes from notes I'd already typed up. :pac:

If I had less than 15 hours of sleep over 2 days I'd be a walking zombie. I'm definitely one of the people who need 8+ hours of sleep a night. And god help any who interrupt that sleep :P

Last Tuesday I was in a complete panic mode and learned the whole set of metabolism of carbohydrates in half an hour, including all the pathways from the lecture notes. And then it didn't come up in the exam...But yeah, I learn so much better when I put myself under pressure, just not the kind of pressure that results in me loosing sleep. I know I'm starting to panic though when the last thing that goes through my head before sleep is equations/diagrams etc. It's really annoying :P

iLaura wrote: »
    If I had less than 15 hours of sleep over 2 days I'd be a walking zombie. I'm definitely one of the people who need 8+ hours of sleep a night. And god help any who interrupt that sleep :P

Last Tuesday I was in a complete panic mode and learned the whole set of metabolism of carbohydrates in half an hour, including all the pathways from the lecture notes. And then it didn't come up in the exam...But yeah, I learn so much better when I put myself under pressure, just not the kind of pressure that results in me loosing sleep. I know I'm starting to panic though when the last thing that goes through my head before sleep is equations/diagrams etc. It's really annoying :P

Oh I turn into a zombie. But a high functioning zombie. If anyone saw me walking home from my exam yesterday (it took me around 15 minutes to walk from the main building to Dromroe FFS :o) they could definitely attest to this. :pac:

1 day to revise around half a module. This will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

This analogue electronics exam tomorrow is going to be awful

1 day to revise around half a module. This will be fun.

Be grand, I did an entire module yesterday, it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Lucozade is my hero for this weeks cramming even though I couldn't really sleep last night from drinking so much of it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

This discussion reminds me of how badly we need to reconsider how we examine students. End of semester examinations that depend substantially or totally on rote learning are not adequate, especially for science/engineering subjects. It's totally unrepresentative of how graduates are actually expected to work in industry.

Chimaera wrote: »
    This discussion reminds me of how badly we need to reconsider how we examine students. End of semester examinations that depend substantially or totally on rote learning are not adequate, especially for science/engineering subjects. It's totally unrepresentative of how graduates are actually expected to work in industry.

It think it's especially nonsensical for Computer Science students. I mean, memorising formulae and diagrams is all fine and good for an exam, but it's bloody pointless when you've got all that stuff at your fingertips when you're actually working in industry. It's a real shame that nearly all modules are still heavily weighted towards the final exam.

But meh, that's a problem for someone else to fix, I'm (hopefully) out of UL in 5 and a half months. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celestechu

Blanking in an exam has to be the worst feeling ever. Looks like I'll be sitting my first repeat in August! At least I can pay for it with co-op money. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

giphy.gif

"Ok which one of you has that phone?"

• Advertisement

If I fail one module can I get a compensatory fail if I've passed all the other ones? I'm really confused about QCA's and all that. If at the end of semester 2 I have a QCA of above 4 (two semesters) together do I need to repeat something I might of failed in semester 1?

If I fail one module can I get a compensatory fail if I've passed all the other ones? I'm really confused about QCA's and all that. If at the end of semester 2 I have a QCA of above 4 (two semesters) together do I need to repeat something I might of failed in semester 1?

Only if you get a D and your QCA is above 2. If your QCA is below 2, then you just fail with a D. Anything below a D is a straight fail.

And your QCA stays between 0 and 4, it's not added together :)

sup_dude wrote: »
    Only if you get a D and your QCA is above 2. If your QCA is below 2, then you just fail with a D. Anything below a D is a straight fail.

And your QCA stays between 0 and 4, it's not added together :)

So if I get a D2 in the module I think I might fail and my QCA is 2 or above I'll get a compensatory fail in the D2 module?

So if I get a D2 in the module I think I might fail and my QCA is 2 or above I'll get a compensatory fail in the D2 module?

If you get a D2 and a QCA of over 2, you get a compensatory.

If you get a D2 and a QCA of under 2, you fail and have to repeat :)

sup_dude wrote: »
    If you get a D2 and a QCA of over 2, you get a compensatory.

If you get a D2 and a QCA of under 2, you fail and have to repeat :)

Thank you :D What grades would I need in other modules to get a QCA of 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Thank you :D What grades would I need in other modules to get a QCA of 2?

Pretty sure just getting a C3 in everything else would get you above 2.0, though I've no idea how it really works so probably best get someone else to back that up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SuperNova1890

Pretty sure just getting a C3 in everything else would get you above 2.0, though I've no idea how it really works so probably best get someone else to back that up :P

C3 will get you a QCA of 2.0.... you can get a degree with a QCA 2.0 not a very good degree but its still a degree!! :P

QCA Table
    A1 4.0
    A2 3.6
    B1 3.2
    B2 3.0
    B3 2.8
    C1 2.6
    C2 2.4
    C3 2.0
    D1 1.6
    D2 1.2

C3 will get you a QCA of 2.0.... you can get a degree with a QCA 2.0 not a very good degree but its still a degree!! :P

QCA Table
    A1 4.0
    A2 3.6
    B1 3.2
    B2 3.0
    B3 2.8
    C1 2.6
    C2 2.4
    C3 2.0
    D1 1.6
    D2 1.2

In terms of degree this is how its broken down;

"Award Classification
    Cumulative QCA

3.40 - 1.1

3.00 - 2.1

2.60 - 2.2

2.00 - Third class honors", also known as a pass degree

Anyone know what would happen if you've an exam that the class is divided into two different rooms by your surname for and you did the exam in the wrong room ? :confused: It hasn't happened but it was something I was thinking about :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone know what would happen if you've an exam that the class is divided into two different rooms by your surname for and you did the exam in the wrong room ? :confused: It hasn't happened but it was something I was thinking about :pac:

It won't happen, the invigilators check everyone who comes in. And say you did slip through and the person who no longer had a seat managed to slip into the other room, as long as you were in the right row, nothing really would happen as all the papers go together in the end

Advertisement