Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Zillah wrote: »
    G.J. wrote: »
    Looks like you got tricked by the devil child (possibly)! There's a theory stating that the lights are a decoy, the red, supposedly renegade option 'Destroy' is presented as being destroyed by Anderson, a Paragon, whereas the blue, supposedly Paragon option 'Control' is portrayed by TIM, a renegade. Funny how the lights can sway a decision like that!

Anderson is a paragon? The guy who punched Udina in the face for daring to ask why he was breaking into his office? The guy who risked court martial to help Shepard steal the Normandy in violation of Alliance and Council orders?

Even though his actions undoubtedly saved the people of the Citadel from the unexpected arrival of the Reaper, Sovereign? Yes, yes I do think Anderson is a Paragon. Do you think TIM isn't a Renegade too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Looks like you got tricked by the devil child (possibly)! There's a theory stating that the lights are a decoy, the red, supposedly renegade option 'Destroy' is presented as being destroyed by Anderson, a Paragon, whereas the blue, supposedly Paragon option 'Control' is portrayed by TIM, a renegade. Funny how the lights can sway a decision like that!

Apart from that, you played the game exactly how I played it. Even the 'Renegade' options you chose were the same as mine!

The Elcor Ambassador mission only requires that you scan the planet by the way, there's no need to land on it.

I reckon that was it too, stupid phone call i got while the cut-scene was going on!

As for the Elcor mission, i couldn't even scan the planet, it was showing as already scanned but i didn't have whatever i was supposed to have! Ah well, i'll arse about on the Normandy before playing the last couple of missions again, maybe i'll get it sorted!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I reckon that was it too, stupid phone call i got while the cut-scene was going on!

As for the Elcor mission, i couldn't even scan the planet, it was showing as already scanned but i didn't have whatever i was supposed to have! Ah well, i'll arse about on the Normandy before playing the last couple of missions again, maybe i'll get it sorted!

When I got that Elcor mission I had already scanned that planet (it's actually the elcor fleet you find right beside the planet which solves this - you find something else on the planet) and went off again finding nothing but all I had to do was speak with the Elcor guy again and it was solved. A google told me I could have spoken to him a second time immediately after he gives me the mission but of course the gamer instinct is better head off and do that for him then.

*edit - it's one of the annoyances of the game that it doesn't tell you if you have found what you need just keeps on saying find x and return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Jerald2 wrote: »
    there is an online petition to change the ending.

So if (bioware) did actually plan to release the ending in a months or so time where will this money go? There are several going at the minute, one of the largest has made $75k . But what about the rest? Does the money just go into someone's greedy hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

^ its for a childrens charity I believe.

I doubt anybody would be able to hang on to the money once this is sorted, or the issue finally closed by Bioware, the money from separate petitions will probably all go to charity.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    ^ its for a childrens charity I believe.

I doubt anybody would be able to hang on to the money once this is sorted, or the issue finally closed by Bioware, the money from separate petitions will probably all go to charity.
    Yeah, people are raising money for Child's Play as far as I know. Hey, at least something good has come out of all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sporks

Well that was all a bit meh at the end wasn’t it.

First of let me say I loved the entire Mass Effect series. And this one was no different, an absolutely brilliant game right up until that very meh end.

For me the biggest disappointment was the lack of consequences for your actions throughout the game in the finale.

Mass Effect 2 had a brilliant finale where your choices could result in your squad and the entire Normandy crew dying. I had expected Bioware to take this idea to the next level where your choices could result in entire groups of people dying.

So often you could make Shepard go on about how we would stop the reapers no matter what the cost but we were never shown the cost of these decisions.

I was sure that freeing up Aria’s mercenary groups would result in some bad mojo. When the citadel moved to earth and I realised that all the refugees that I had gotten in there were now likely to be dying I was not looking forward to seeing what happened to them. But we were never shown. All our decisions resulted in a number on a screen going up slightly making no difference to how the finale played.

I was looking forward to playing through it all again to see how my actions could make a difference but it all comes to the same rather anti-climatic end, which I’m not to eager to repeat at the minute. I think I will give myself some time to come to terms with this.

I don’t think that the indoctrination theory is true. It strikes me as people are picking at points that fit the theory and ignoring the ones that don’t.

Bioware made their ending. It wasn’t great, but it is what they went with. Any attempt to change it to make it happy and better is up there with George Lucas’ Star Wars shenanigans.

I just hope they learn from this and make their next game better. They need something good after the this and dragon age 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even though his actions undoubtedly saved the people of the Citadel from the unexpected arrival of the Reaper, Sovereign? Yes, yes I do think Anderson is a Paragon. Do you think TIM isn't a Renegade too?

I'm not sure you get what Paragon and Renegade represent. They aren't good and evil, they represent whether you work through cooperation and following the rules or whether you break the rules and kick-ass to get the job done. Shepard can be a renegade and saves the galaxy several times over. Anderson is a good person, he saves lives and got the job done - that doesn't mean he is a paragon. Frankly I think trying to pigeon-hole characters into arbitrary definitions is a little counter-productive, but if we were to play that game I'd have to say that Anderson, like all good characters, has elements of both. I certainly wouldn't hold him up as an archetypal paragon. A paragon would have convinced Udina to cooperate or would have found another way, he certainly wouldn't storm into his office and punch him in the face.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anderson is more Paragon then Renegade, but as Zillah says, he has elements of both. His confrontations with Saren in the earlier books, where he wasn't willing to do anything to get the job done, are certainly more Paragon.

And who didn't want to punch Udina :P

I'm not sure you get what Paragon and Renegade represent. They aren't good and evil, they represent whether you work through cooperation and following the rules or whether you break the rules and kick-ass to get the job done. Shepard can be a renegade and saves the galaxy several times over. Anderson is a good person, he saves lives and got the job done - that doesn't mean he is a paragon. Frankly I think trying to pigeon-hole characters into arbitrary definitions is a little counter-productive, but if we were to play that game I'd have to say that Anderson, like all good characters, has elements of both. I certainly wouldn't hold him up as an archetypal paragon. A paragon would have convinced Udina to cooperate or would have found another way, he certainly wouldn't storm into his office and punch him in the face.

I suppose I never really understood the full meaning behind the definitions of paragon and renegade, so what you just said certainly cleared things up a bit.

But honestly, who didn't want to punch Udina in the face multiple times throughout the series?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

ME2 had an interesting way of demonstrating the "gets thing done and is a bad ass" shepard.

Shepard_renegade.jpg

But honestly, who didn't want to punch Udina in the face multiple times throughout the series?

So, so much. Although he annoyed me less in 3.

In other news...
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Post from the co-founder of Bioware. They are surprised that so many people hated the ending so much and are now working on ways that they can make people feel better by making some new content to finish out the story better. There is no mention of a master plan, such as indoctrination. It's looking like that really is the ending.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They are surprised that so many people hated the ending so much and are now working on ways that they can make people feel better by making some new content to finish out the story better.

Once again, Penny Arcade deliver.

i-dfFJj7N-X2.jpg

So, so much. Although he annoyed me less in 3.

In other news...
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Post from the co-founder of Bioware. They are surprised that so many people hated the ending so much and are now working on ways that they can make people feel better by making some new content to finish out the story better. There is no mention of a master plan, such as indoctrination. It's looking like that really is the ending.

Well if that is true, then the endings were indeed terribly done in relation to the rest of the series. It reeks of a rushed ending. There was so much scope for an epic ending, even for all 3 of the choices you make. A bit more effort and time maybe. I was half expecting Shepard to die regardless, but an epilogue of his funderal, unveiling of a statue or at the very least a closing commentary from EDI or someone as to the aftermath of the event.

But, it probably ended abruptly to allow future DLC to tell these stories, which will probably be:
    - Wrex dealing with infighting for power
    - EDI coming to terms with humanity and how to sex Joker without breaking him.
    - Liara rebuilding her home world
    - Aria's attempt at taking over whats left of the Galaxy
    - Tali dealing with other Quarian attempts to destroy the Geth
    - The ressurection of Legion (please please please please please!)

Whether it's a deliberate attempt at future revenue, or the artistic team genuinely not knowing how to end the game, that remains to be seen, as do all the cryptic twitter replies...

I really, really hope there is a whole expansion based around helping Aria retake Omega. She's such a great character, really wish there was more of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Has there been any sort of news as to whether the future DLC will be post ending? Or are we in for some crappy N7 missions pre ending?

I really, really hope there is a whole expansion based around helping Aria retake Omega. She's such a great character, really wish there was more of her.

Agreed. Unfortunately I couldn't finish her quest of my play-through, the damn thing bugged out :(

Herrick wrote: »
    Has there been any sort of news as to whether the future DLC will be post ending? Or are we in for some crappy N7 missions pre ending?

According to the head dude in Bioware, there will be missions wrapping up the events post ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Complete and utter let down of an ending for me. I didn't want a happy, every-thing's back to normal ending because that would be stupid given what happens. I was expecting my decisions to have made some sort of difference though (which I think ME2 got very right). Instead we get a "choice" between 3 shitty endings which are a blatant rip-off of Deus Ex and which no effort went into at all apparently.

Finally can read/post in this thread after about 32 hours of gameplay. Took the ending where Shepard took control of the Reapers.

All I can say is, wow. While the ending itself wasn't amazing everything leading up to it was.

Now to watch the other endings on YouTube

• Advertisement

My friend bought this game earlier, at which point I hadn't completed it so I said, "it was all a dream". After reading this thread, I may have been somewhat right. Ha. Whoops.

I've been giving it a bit of thought and I am leaning towards the idea that Shepard was indoctrinated at the end. For the final mission I chose Liara and Garrus, as I always had for all three games, bar the missions where a member was pre-selected. So, I'm assuming that they would have joined me on that last ditch run for the beam - I can't remember seeing them. If I'm right, and if I'm remembering this correctly, either Hackett or Anderson announced that everyone has been wiped out, that they had to pull back. Going by this, then how is it that both Liara and Garrus were on the Normandy when we're to assume they were killed along the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

finished it this evening, huge mass effect fan and firstly, what a game, loved it. I even liked the ending - as I'm almost certain it wasn't the "real" ending and there's more to it than meets the eye. It's either a bold move by EA Bioware to fool the entire fanbase into thinking they dropped the ball spectacularly with the ending, or they really did make a pigs mickey of ending the trilogy.

ok Time to restart now on Insanity difficulty. And be a complete tool in all of my choices :)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    finished it this evening, huge mass effect fan and firstly, what a game, loved it. I even liked the ending - as I'm almost certain it wasn't the "real" ending and there's more to it than meets the eye. It's either a bold move by EA Bioware to fool the entire fanbase into thinking they dropped the ball spectacularly with the ending, or they really did make a pigs mickey of ending the trilogy.

ok Time to restart now on Insanity difficulty. And be a complete tool in all of my choices :)

One of the co-founders released a statement today saying that they are sorry so many people disliked the ending but that they stand by the team that made ME3 and the decisions they made. They are working on some sort of DLC that will provide more closure. There was no hint of there being some secret explanation lying underneath it all, if there was, that would be the time to reveal it. What we got is the real ending.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

One of the co-founders released a statement today saying that they are sorry so many people disliked the ending but that they stand by the team that made ME3 and the decisions they made. They are working on some sort of DLC that will provide more closure. There was no hint of there being some secret explanation lying underneath it all, if there was, that would be the time to reveal it. What we got is the real ending.

Of course it's a real ending. What it doesn't do is answer the questions that the ending gives rise to. There is equally no hint of there not being a secret explanation, such as indoctrination. It seems they purposely left that up in the air, not unlike so many films. Keep banging that drum though.
    Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey

Emphasis mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Did bioware plan it or not that is the question now. What people fail to see is that EA are loving this. We are giving them free ads even if it is **** talk it will make new people to mass effect series what to buy and see what the fuss is about. After that they might buy the 1st and 2nd one to get the whole exp. Is that the master plan?
    EA is a drug dealer and mass effect 3 is the free sample to get you hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Agreed. Unfortunately I couldn't finish her quest of my play-through, the damn thing bugged out :(
    i bet you didn't let the merc one out of jail, asked her second in command to take over, he agreed, then it bugged

Arawn wrote: »
    i bet you didn't let the merc one out of jail, asked her second in command to take over, he agreed, then it bugged
    The bug happens after to talk to the second in command then you save and exit before Baliey calls you. When I read it I was like WTF was the odds that I would do that but most of my pals have the same bug. TIL people like to save and exit there

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Jester252 wrote: »
    Did bioware plan it or not that is the question now. What people fail to see is that EA are loving this. We are giving them free ads even if it is **** talk it will make new people to mass effect series what to buy and see what the fuss is about. After that they might buy the 1st and 2nd one to get the whole exp. Is that the master plan?

Apparently the story got leaked at some point, so they hastily re-wrote the ending. Dunno where I read that but it might explain why the ending was not what most people would have wanted. Maybe they planned it so as to drum up interest for DLC explaining it all. If so, it backfired on them.

I'm a bit baffled by it all. These kinds of open endings are common in movies and there's no problem. I understand how people would rather have their questions answered but imagine Blade Runner came out now and thousands of people started raging about not being told if Dekard was a replicant or not.

Blade Runner was one of the first things I thought when I finished the game the ending felt the same. I heard that this ending was in the leaked copy

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »
    The bug happens after to talk to the second in command then you save and exit before Baliey calls you. When I read it I was like WTF was the odds that I would do that but most of my pals have the same bug. TIL people like to save and exit there

Yep. I asked the second in command to take over and it never completed.

I found another bug in the same area. If you agree to take photos for the Salarian interviewer and save, you lose the option for the last picture to finish the quest. I was standing in front of the poker players and quicksaved and the option disappeared.

Haha, that has me in stitches. I have a mental image of shady EA executives hanging out in a dark alley handing out copies of ME3 :p

Advertisement