Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

What a shambles. Between 176 & 177, the UFC will surely have to take a look at the big picture and see that doing 50+ shows a year is starting to kill their whole product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dillashaw is doing his happy dance

JJayoo wrote: »
    Dillashaw is doing his happy dance

I disagree. He absolutely whooped Barao first time, so his confidence would have been sky high going into this. Must not have been nice for him, for his first title defence to be on one of the most widely slated PPV cards ever....then for the only decent fight on the card to be cancelled, would be a kick in the teeth for him. This will easily be the worst selling UFC PPV of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

one fc 19 repeated now on premier sports for those who havent seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

dulux99 wrote: »
    I disagree. He absolutely whooped Barao first time, so his confidence would have been sky high going into this. Must not have been nice for him, for his first title defence to be on one of the most widely slated PPV cards ever....then for the only decent fight on the card to be cancelled, would be a kick in the teeth for him. This will easily be the worst selling UFC PPV of all time

To be honest almost everyone automatically assumed he would lose the rematch. People were talking more about how bad Barao was instead of how good Dillashaw was.

JJayoo wrote: »
    To be honest almost everyone automatically assumed he would lose the rematch. People were talking more about how bad Barao was instead of how good Dillashaw was.

I disagree with you there, definitely. People were talking much more about how good Dillashaw looked, it was a brilliant performance. Barao looked bad because Dillashaw ran rings around him.

Also, Dillashaw was the favourite with the bookies in the rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is this still a PPV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    What a shambles. Between 176 & 177, the UFC will surely have to take a look at the big picture and see that doing 50+ shows a year is starting to kill their whole product.
    I agree with your point that 50+ events is too many. But that irrelevant here, Barao pulling out hours before the weighin is a diaster no matter how many shows they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with your point that 50+ events is too many. But that irrelevant here, Barao pulling out hours before the weighin is a diaster no matter how many shows they have.

It's hugely relevant actually when you take into account that the only thing giving 177 any credibility as a numbered event was the title fight. If the UFC weren't stretching themselves so thinly losing Barao would have had a lot less of a detrimental affect to the quality of the card.

Yes it is a disaster as you put it but losing one of the headliners should not effectively 'kill' the entire card. A decent co main and a main card consisting of a few big names would have made the pill a lot easier to swallow. But the UFC can't provide that kind of back up to their main events anymore because of the fact that they are over diluting their product.

Off the top of my head I don't see how any fight on this card other than the main event even makes a ripple on the surface of their respective divisions in terms of title contention. Is that really the height of quality they can put forward to support what should be a fanfare event and one of their biggest for the year? The UFC put all their eggs in one basket again and they got caught out this time. This will be happening a lot more than it should in the future.

UFC 177 became even more of a joke than it already was because they lost one single fighter. Even if it turns out to have ten of the best fights ever seen in the UFC it will make **** all difference because there will be significantly less people even watching it now.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    A decent co main and a main card consisting of a few big names would have made the pill a lot easier to swallow.

Yeah sure. If it has the back up of say, 178, it might still be a solid card. But you still have the diaster situation with the belt. New comer makes his debut in a 5 rounder. Some craic if he wins

Yeah sure. If it has the back up of say, 178, it might still be a solid card. But you still have the diaster situation with the belt. New comer makes his debut in a 5 rounder. Some craic if he wins

Amen to that brother. Even more craic for me coz I put a tenner on him last night. :-) Not expecting a return but stranger things have happened.

And totally agree with you on comparing 177 to 178. Prime example of how the UFC can get it so wrong and then oh so right in a time period of less than 30 days. On 178's main card, everyone with the exception of Eddie Alvarez is top ten (I think. Open to correction) and in my opinion there are 5 fighters (Alvarez, Cerrone, Poirier, Mcgregor, Zingano) who could reasonably be considered for a title shot based on how they perform on the night. That's just off the main card. In fairness you could also add Cruz and Mizugaki to that list.

If the main event at 178 goes the way of Barao/Dillashaw 2, will it still be a decent card? In my opinion, absolutely.

Cards like 178 shouldn't be a once a year occurrence.

On 178's main card, everyone with the exception of Eddie Alvarez is top ten (I think. Open to correction)
    That's correct. But the only reason Alverez isn't ranked is because he's only signed. He's ranked top 3 in all promotion rankings.
    He could well be included in the UFC rankings before he fights.

That's correct. But the only reason Alverez isn't ranked is because he's only signed. He's ranked top 3 in all promotion rankings.
    He could well be included in the UFC rankings before he fights.

3? Wow, I knew he'd be well up there but never imagined him being that high. Will be interesting to see if he gets ranked by the UFC before 178. I'm guessing yes, but outside of top 5.

Betting odds as well will be interesting. If a lot of casual money goes on Cerrone and the odds on Alvarez open up, then he'd be well worth a punt.

Betting odds as well will be interesting. If a lot of casual money goes on Cerrone and the odds on Alvarez open up, then he'd be well worth a punt.
    Currently
    Alverez 10/11
    Cowboy 11/10

Fair point. The title challenger pulling out just before the weigh ins will always hurt. But I made this point in another thread recently ; the UFC held two cards last weekend, and if you condense the two of them into tonight's card, the cancellation of the main event would leave it looking like this ;

Dillashaw vs Soto
    Henderson vs Dos Anjos
    Bisping vs Le
    Mein vs Pyle
    Woodley vs Pyle

That looks an awful lot better, than fkn Danny Castillo in the co main event. If this card was 2/3 years ago, that fight would be lucky not to be on the Facebook prelims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gus is after getting a guarantee from lorenzo that he will fight the winner of jones dc and it might happen in sweden. I'm happy for him he still has some sway but he said he deserves the title shot in sweden which no, he does not! No prob defending title there but not competing for it. Surprised he got away without fighting rumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Surprised he got away without fighting rumble.

Rumble has been giving Gus crap on social media for avoiding him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He shouldn't be allowed to stay inactive for that long, but at the same time he should have been given a shot straight after the first Jones fight. It was so close and Jones had walked through every competitor up until then, fighting Teixeira instead was a joke. Two wrongs don't make a right though.

He probably won't have fought for over a year by the time his title shot comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Battle Ground MMA have got JR & Chael Sonnen on board for there PPV which features the 8 man one night tournament, im actually looking forward to this :pac:

http://whoatv.com/jim-ross-chael-sonnen-become-the-announcers-for-battle-ground-mma-ppv/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Will Neil Seery get another UFC fight or does he already have one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, he'll no doubt get another one. He beat Phil Harris last time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thiago Silvas back in the UFC after he was acquitted of all his charges!!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/5/6112107/thiago-silva-welcomed-back-by-ufc

ASOT wrote: »
    Thiago Silvas back in the UFC after he was acquitted of all his charges!!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/5/6112107/thiago-silva-welcomed-back-by-ufc

I've heard that he was only acquitted because his wife/gf left the country?

Terrible decision by the UFC. This guy is a nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

WTF!!!!

And who's the masked guy wit Bonnar?

God that's pathetic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

DrPhilG wrote: »
    God that's pathetic...

It's like MMA meets WWE.
    I wonder if they'll have tag teams.

On a serious note, who'll win that?
    Bonnar looks much bigger than Ortiz considering that they were both LHW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Is his hand superglued to the microphone?

Ufc in Stdney goes on sale this week. It usually sells out fast. Was wondering if anybody has a Fight Club code that they weren't going to use. Would be much appreciated if somebody could help me out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ASOT wrote: »
    Battle Ground MMA have got JR & Chael Sonnen on board for there PPV which features the 8 man one night tournament, im actually looking forward to this :pac:

http://whoatv.com/jim-ross-chael-sonnen-become-the-announcers-for-battle-ground-mma-ppv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Anyone else watch Invicta last night? It made a really refreshing change of pace from UFC. A lot of the women were only semi-pro which I think changed the dynamic a bit. There was even a retirement fight which was almost like an exhibition match where two women were having fun, it was cool to watch. It's amazing how different the women's fights are to the men's. Definitely worth watching if you want to pass a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Anyone see the inside mma ben askren video. Such asshat behaviour by the shutting down a midly anti dana white stance.

Couple this with the bizarre bonnor tito thing mma is really taking a nosedive media wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

adamski8 wrote: »
    Anyone see the inside mma ben askren video. Such asshat behaviour by the shutting down a midly anti dana white stance.

Couple this with the bizarre bonnor tito thing mma is really taking a nosedive media wise

It was pathetic that an independent media show would behave like that. What a tool Kenny Rice is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Anyone else watch Invicta last night? It made a really refreshing change of pace from UFC. A lot of the women were only semi-pro which I think changed the dynamic a bit. There was even a retirement fight which was almost like an exhibition match where two women were having fun, it was cool to watch. It's amazing how different the women's fights are to the men's. Definitely worth watching if you want to pass a few hours.

Ya I tuned in was actually only my second time watching the promotion the first one I saw was also headlined by Waterson.

Really enjoyed it the semi-pros you speak of I think their bouts here were classed as their pro debut as far as I know.

Watched from the very beginning pre-lims weren't shabby, the JJ Aldrich girl who won the opening bout so emotional yet remaining very humble when her hand was raised. Jin Yu Frey v Jodie Esquibel was a great fight very back and forth Yu Frey really shoulda finished the fight when she dropped Jodie and leapt to sink the choke in unsuccessfully, Jodie did tons of work then to grab somewhat a comeback win.

The 2 Mexican women were beasts particularly the one who destroyed Ultimate Fighter competitor Peggy Morgan in a very one sided affair.

Found it odd that before the main card they showed Julie Kedzie who is now the match maker sat around a table with Shayna Baszler etc. discussing how she expected bouts to play out very strange indeed.

Anyway Main card was solid first 2 fights were 1st round finishes, the first title bout was real quality the Finnish girl finally getting sinking in a D'arce choke to finish in the 5th round. The second title fight wasn't very competitive the only surprising thing being it took Waterson till late in round 3, the Japanese veteran offered very little.

All in all enjoyed an Invicta event before, this card ended up being streets ahead of that one I caught sometime last year.

Very well put together production even more so now I think perhaps its the UFC companionship they have in place now lot of promoting upcoming UFC events and such which is uunderstandable, will have a gander again for sure hopefully could be in the same league as this card ended up being.

Ufc in Stdney goes on sale this week. It usually sells out fast. Was wondering if anybody has a Fight Club code that they weren't going to use. Would be much appreciated if somebody could help me out.

Anybody?

adamski8 wrote: »

Jeez, just saw that Inside MMA segment. What a clown Kenny Rice is. I used to enjoy Inside MMA back in the day but Rice is an idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭p to the e

When I heard about Askren being cut off I thought he was going to be all brash and loud mouthed in the interview and he was the complete opposite. He was explaining his career position and why he doesn't particularly like Dana and the way the UFC does business and all of a sudden Rice panics and cuts him off. Very strange.

On another note, I'm glad Thiago Silva is back in the UFC as he's an exciting fighter and definitely in my top 5 scariest looking men on the planet (yes I have a list). However, let's be honest, his wife left for Brazil after being made an offer she couldn't refuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Wheres this Kenny Rice link?

p to the e wrote: »
    On another note, I'm glad Thiago Silva is back in the UFC as he's an exciting fighter and definitely in my top 5 scariest looking men on the planet

Seriously?

I think it's a low point for the UFC. Silva is an animal. The stuff he did relating to that whole incident was outrageous and the UFC shouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Seriously?

I think it's a low point for the UFC. Silva is an animal. The stuff he did relating to that whole incident was outrageous and the UFC shouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

The charges were dropped since there was zero factual evidence to back up the claims.
    Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Looking forward to seeing him fight again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Burb5

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    The charges were dropped since there was zero factual evidence to back up the claims.
    Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

His wife left the country and as she was the key witness they had to let him go, big different between being innocent and being set free because the key witness disappeared scared at what might happen to them if they did testify.

Burb5 wrote: »
    His wife left the country and as she was the key witness they had to let him go, big different between being innocent and being set free because the key witness disappeared scared at what might happen to them if they did testify.

There's also a big difference between the facts and speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burb5

MrStuffins wrote: »

Must have been enough facts to arrest him in the first place and everything that has been reported hasn't painted a pretty picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

He did send her a text saying he'd have her killed so his girlfriend could move it.

Burb5 wrote: »
    Must have been enough facts to arrest him in the first place and everything that has been reported hasn't painted a pretty picture.

I'm not saying otherwise. But what you're saying about her being scared of what might happen is still speculation.
    He did send her a text saying he'd have her killed so her girlfriend could move it.

I don't understand this sentence.

califano wrote: »
    Wheres this Kenny Rice link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

scudzilla wrote: »
    WTF!!!!

And who's the masked guy wit Bonnar?

It's Kenny "F*cking" Powers. Bonnar is gonna smoke Tito with La Flama Blanca backing him up. Ortiz is probably praying Stevie Janowski doesn't show up. Nobody can deal with that bad ass.

Apologies if I am wrong but I think it should read 'He did send her a text saying he'd have her killed so his girlfriend could move in.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭p to the e

Seriously?

I actually read somewhere that because the charges were thrown out and he is coming off of a win he may have something in his contract to say he can't be fired. Again it's speculation.

From a business standpoint the press coverage will only increase viewing numbers so they'd be mad to let him go to the competition.

From a personal standpoint I have always enjoyed his fights and there's not much more I'm looking for from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I'm not saying otherwise. But what you're saying about her being scared of what might happen is still speculation.

Edited the one word that had you confused, pm me for further clarification.

If he did what he was reported to have done, then he should be fired.

But at the end of the day, the charged were dropped/thrown out whatever. Meaning he's "innocent". He should be allowed make a living!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement