Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

While the round was an absolute disaster I must have hit the longest drive of my life on the 18th in The Island yesterday. Now it was a bit downwind and it's obviously a links so the ball runs and runs but the hole is 421m and I knocked the drive down to the 100m to the centre marker. So around 320m!

Didn't get a par of course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

29 points in lisheen springs. avoided the rain until a downpour on the 18th. stiff wind. putting again my downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Played Grange Castle with the society yesterday. Got 27 points in practice on Friday which included 8 3 putts and a 4 putt. The greens were very fast. Lucky I got the practice in because I putted much better and got 35 points off 17 which I was happy enough with. Double bogeys on 3 and 4 after opening with two pars was a killer and I took one point from the 12th and 13th which was really disappointing. Apart from those I played as well as I have in a long time.

Word for the course, first time playing Grange Castle and it was a great experience. Everyone in the society enjoyed it. You could hit a good score but you could also be punished very easily. Fantastic nick and really great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Captains Prize Qualifier in Moate yesterday and I was tipping along nice and steady until I found a bunker on 18th with my 4th shot (Par 5) and proceeded to take 2 to get out of that one and spin into the next bunker. Out first time but a long way from hole, 2 putts for a big whopping 9 on the end of my card.

Finished on nett 77 and just outside the qualifying mark of Top 75 players but I am sure to get in as I'm next sub and there are usually a few withdrawals. I know I'm way off the pace (leader has 66) but I don't care about that I just want to be there on the day and taking part. 18 holes starting in 3 balls at 8am am and then a 9 hole play off for the Top 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

92 in the mire yesterday in a scratch cup in forrest little. was +4 after 8 (in the worst of the weather) and playing well, but back nine, I chucked in some big scores....

some guy shot 78 in those conditions yesterday (off 13), thats incredible stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

29 points in the clubs open singles on Thursday, 35 points in the society captains prize on Saturday.

Fairly contrasting rounds. Thursday was a disaster to start with, got my first ever real dose of the shanks and couldn't shake them till the 5th. 4 scratches to start off with & was seriously contemplating going back in I was so frustrated. I knew my chipping & putting were fine as they have been for some time but I couldn't get the ball in to play with the shanks. Horrible horrible feeling. 5th hole par 3 & I stuck the ball to within a foot for a tap in birdie and gave me some confidence. Very happy to come in with 29 points after that start.

Saturday started okay, got a couple of 1 pointers just to keep things tipping over when things could have went astray but hung in there and had a tap in birdie and a par to get going a bit. Crossed with 19 points & would need a good back 9 to get into the prizes, hit a drive on the 10th that was a bit of a pull but was sickened when it could't be found. I should have went back and teed off again but I spent so long looking I chose not to. Let this get to me and only got 1 point at the next par 3 & more or less put me out of the running of a prize at this stage. A good run of holes gave me 15 points in the last 7 holes left me happy enough but disappointing that I am letting stupid errors affect me on the next hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Poor Sunday. Started off early morning with a 19 points front nine. Then scratched the 10th after duffing chip into the bunker which I hadn't done in a few weeks. Scratched 14 then when the mist had turned into rain and clubs started slipping. Then hit my 3rd into the water on 16 from a severish uphill lie where I misjudged how much the lie will turn the ball over. By then it had turned into a full blown winter morning with proper rain and we all walked in. I had 26 in total but really only hit one very poor shot. Feel still pretty good overall and Captains Prize is only a few days away. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played like a donkey on back nine in Boards outing - hadn't played like that in ages.

So - went out today not knowing what was going to happen. Haven't been practicing with kids off etc.

Something different happened today - couldn't get an early tee time - so was stuck at course for 90 minutes before game - did , mid irons, short game, chipping and putting before my round. Unusual for me lately - have gone back to my bad old days , of ten minutes before tee time. In fairness , more a kids off and work issue thing.

Landed just off the first par 5 in two and got up and down with a good 6 foot putt - then under clubbed 2 and made a mess of it. Regret picking ball up - would have been easy 7 - so no stroke score.

Anyway - started hitting irons very very well - driver not so well - but got lucky with bad drives.

Then had a freak of a day on the greens - 8 more 1 putts - hilarious , couldn't miss , started knowing I was going to make it. They were all in the 7 to 25 feet range - a total of 5 birds , with 2 very close lip outs for 2 more.

Coming home (about 16) I started to get very nervous, but made a great bird on 16, had another great 7 iron on 17, but didn't go for bird on 17 - resulted in 3 putt. (was thinking of par on 17 - should not have, and done what was clearly working)

Then an unlucky bogie to finish.

Best ever round in competition.

42 pts - off 6.

Definitely my lowest ever handicap.

Would love to know how I putted so well today - seems strange to have your lowest ever handicap based on a freaky day on greens - but in fairness - I had 9 , good birdie putts - must be something else going on. In fairness , I hardly hit one bad iron all day. Good iron shots that hit greens in that 20 to 30 foot range are not the most memorable aspect of a persons round - but they are the building block of a good round for me.

Over the moon - can't wait to see what my handicap is - rather embarrassingly not sure how handicap works in that range (lol)

All a bit mental - had to reassure the lads I was playing with , that I only have days on the green like that once every 4 months or so.

I guess - the 1 I made on the first got me on a run - my routine was excellent, every putt I made , I did the same thing.

Anyway - class day. One of those once or twice a year job.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Played Headfort new course today 34 points, 15 on front 9, 19 on back 9, going well on back until last 3 holes scored 1 point on each hole. Course in great shape. Noticed the greens on old course were heavily sanded, thought it was a bit early in season to be sanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

36pts off 12 today in an open in Letterkenny,
    15pts out
    21pts back

Disappointed with the front 9, lot of easy holes to get off to a good start but I just made a balls of most of them. Drove the ball well, but irons were very poor, ground was very soft after all the rain and doesn't suit low bounce. But held a few good putts and I'm getting better on the lag putting, no 3 putts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 SolarStoned

scored 31 points in druids heath on teusday off 12...really happy with that score on 'the beast of wicklow' as I call it. then scored 21 points in my own club yesterday. I do recommend not going out for pints the night before a round :P

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Wasn't sure what to expect today, as I was hitting the ball fairly well last week in Killeen Castle but was a train wreck around the greens. Anyway I had 41pts off 12 today in Grange Castle, was hitting the ball really well and my pitching and chipping where very good, putting is still a bit hit and miss, I had 3 3putts and 4putts so I still left a good bit out there. Still I'm delighted, should be cut 1.0 for today to get me down to 11, and then as far as I understand the ESR I should be looking at another cut of 2, with 41pts today and 42pts in the captains plate 3 week ago, that's an average of -5.5 over two low rounds. So by Monday I could be off 9.0!!!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/decdoc/round/499282

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

9 hole stroke comp with new clubs. Off 6 for the round shot +6

5 pars
    2 bogies
    2 doubles

Happy enough with ball striking, can only get better when I get used to New clubs

shaunac93 wrote: »
    9 hole stroke comp with new clubs. Off 6 for the round shot +6

5 pars
    2 bogies
    2 doubles

Happy enough with ball striking, can only get better when I get used to New clubs

Sahuna - fair play you have made some strides this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Sahuna - fair play you have made some strides this year.

It was only a 9 hole so +6 isn't great, like would have only played to my handicap 12 of I done same on back 9!!

Still I see single figures on the horizon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Played 9 yesterday. 1 birdie, 3 pars, 1 bogey, 1 double, 2 trebles, 1 scratch. Mad game.

shaunac93 wrote: »
    It was only a 9 hole so +6 isn't great, like would have only played to my handicap 12 of I done same on back 9!!

Still I see single figures on the horizon :)

Ah you know what I mean - your ball striking etc.

You could get to single figures with putting improvement alone. Anyway - fair play.

Played Corballis on Friday - only played the 13 (time) - was 6 over , a great place to bring you back to earth.

The wind was very strong - made it very hard , basically wrong club you had a double and I had 2 doubles. Had my longest drive ever on 12 - just top of hill of right of way (indication of wind)

Hadn't played the place that much lately , maybe over did it last winter:) - you sort of forget how much of a test of your game that place is - basically almost used every club in bag in 13 holes - I know I go on about it too much , but is the course I have most fun playing. 13 holes in 1 hour 45 - taking my time. It makes you think about a different type of golf (smaller course) - that could have a role in golf ?

Was also thinking of the crazy mini winter league we had there this year- and how all the players in that have had a good season this year - maybe a coincidence , but has to have played a role.

Got my par on 3 - drive and 5 iron , you can walk away with pride with that.

Anyway - must catch the open there before season is up - another event I love there.

Anyway - played with a lad there once , (not far from around here) - he told me he would like to buy it :D

I would have one criticism, the course is showing the signs of the summer play - divots in the landing areas are very bad , you end up with 2 or 3 shocking lies. Greens still fantastic.

Wish they could get that divot issue sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Played Friday and cost myself a 0.6 cut by hitting the flag on the green :(

There was a lot less break than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Had a nett 71 off 20 in Powerscourt East course this morning (38 points)
    Driving, chipping and putting good but hopefully new irons due this week will improve things. Looking forward to a decent cut soon (Today was a casual round)
    Playing Wicklow tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Tough conditions in Cork GC today in the ISC. 84 leading when I left had 98 myself with 2 10s and 9 pars. Only once ever have I played in windier conditions in Tralee. Makes a hard game of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

28pts on Sunday for another 0.1 back :mad: I'm playing 9 holes twice in the evenings during the week & playing great, but when it comes to competition I fall apart so frustrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

44 points off white tees in farnham estate.... 1 scratch...handicap of 20 now off 17..practice starting to pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

73 gross around st annes today in the scratch cup, little or no wind which is very unusual for there.
    Hit the ball very well, love the course out there. cracker it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

dar_cool wrote: »
    73 gross around st annes today in the scratch cup, little or no wind which is very unusual for there.

Nice shooting, should be a contender for the top prize? Never played the course but what an ideal day for golf.
    Played the "beast of Wicklow" Druids Heath today for the first time in a casual game. Only off the whites but still some long par 3s and 4s, made a pig's ear of the 9th and 10th with two doubles but finished with 8 good pars (lipping out on 3 birdies) to finish on 8 over for a 79 gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

dar_cool wrote: »

It could/should have been a 71 for you today - never in trouble and some nice birdie-bounce-backs.
    76 for me, happy enough.

It could/should have been a 71 for you today - never in trouble and some nice birdie-bounce-backs.
    76 for me, happy enough.

Great shooting lads - I'd a bit of a mare at 81.

Was my first ever stroke event and first ever scratch cup - different game.

I hope I learnt a good bit (think I did) - was hooking the ball poorly and lost 2.

Turned it around a little on back.

Great day for golf - lad with us had a terrific round of 71. Good conditions - could be a sub par round there. :confused:

In another stroke event tomorrow - an improvement on that expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

two 77s at The Grange in the Leinster Mid Am (36 holes)

Superb event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

36 points in sillogue.

brother handed me a wilson driver on the fourth and ive kept it. a good drive makes such a difference to me. 5 pars (most ive had in a round) and a 9 sandwiched in between two course in good condition and great weather. putting is getting better as well.

could have been better but happy enough evwn though I should have made birdie on a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well 1st round back on the course today for 5 weeks and a very enjoyable return to golf

Out in castlewarden with scubapro & another member. A few wild tee shots. Hit driver well over all, couple of dodgy ones & hit 3w really well.

Short game showed a bit of rust, which I guess is to be expected given the break away & failed to convert from good positions a couple of times. Par 3s were costly for me, picked up only 2 points in total for the 3 of them.

Had 83 strokes, for 37 points, with one scratch. A good return, hopefully a small cut & a good sign for the days to come.

Advertisement