Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco and beer...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Tesco Complaints dept is in Scotland so they prob don't have a clue of what a Garda is or Garda ID.

Tesco still have an Irish head office in Gresham House, Dun Laoghaire. Much downsized after their massive layoff of Irish staff but it is still possible to speak to an Irish person there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Millicent wrote: »
    Tesco still have an Irish head office in Gresham House, Dun Laoghaire. Much downsized after their massive layoff of Irish staff but it is still possible to speak to an Irish person there.

Yes but thats only the building receptionist and then you get passed around what departments are left. Customer Complaints is in Scotland and thats the normal number most will call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Yes but thats only the building receptionist and then you get passed around what departments are left. Customer Complaints is in Scotland and thats the normal number most will call.

Ah, I know that but just wanted to make people aware of the Irish avenue. There are still a fair few departments left. Don't know which off the top of my head now but I think there is still an alcohol buyer there and a small legal department. May be wrong on those fronts but I'm almost sure of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Millicent wrote: »
    Ah, I know that but just wanted to make people aware of the Irish avenue. There are still a fair few departments left. Don't know which off the top of my head now but I think there is still an alcohol buyer there and a small legal department. May be wrong on those fronts but I'm almost sure of it.

Tesco policy is Think 21, if the person looks under 21 your suppose to ask for Garda ID, so anyone over 21 asked for Garda ID should be happy. No point ringing Dublin, all the power to change rests in the UK. Thats what you get from a company with red white and blue as its colours:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

Proper ID?
    I have a passport and a drivers license.
    I have 2 "proper" IDs!

this is proper id.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Saermegil wrote: »
    this is proper id.
    I find this works well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

FruitLover wrote: »
    Are you a retard? Look up the acronym 'sic' in a dictionary.

And learn the basics of grammar and syntax before commenting on that of others.
    DAMN YOU, YOU HAVE NO ALLEGIENCE TO THE SIC* RULE!!! DAMN YOU!!!

*That SIC was s'possed [SIC] to be there, not like the other SIC's most folk [SIC] use. That was a proper SIC [SIC].

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My local Centra has, and has always had, a rule that they can only accept an age card. Used to be relaxed when I worked there but now you could walk in with a brand new passport and be refused. Apparently, it's a court order they can only accept this, it's what we were told...smells of BS, and I wonder why - or if it's even legal to deny service purely because you don't like a certain type of government ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

I kinda feel like going into tesco just to try to buy drink and get asked for a garda Id..
    I will then walk straight out the door! Go somewhere else!

Time for a tesco boycott.. Hate the f*ckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Serves you right, buying everything from Tesco, Aldi Lidl and such sihtholes.Bloody parasites the lot of them.Support small businesses like local shops and grocers, if there are any left, and you will probably not be treated like a potential criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Serves you right, buying everything from Tesco, Aldi Lidl and such sihtholes.Bloody parasites the lot of them.Support small businesses like local shops and grocers, if there are any left, and you will probably not be treated like a potential criminal.

The only ones left are Spar, Centra etc. and they are criminally over-priced

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

sdonn wrote: »
    My local Centra has, and has always had, a rule that they can only accept an age card. Used to be relaxed when I worked there but now you could walk in with a brand new passport and be refused. Apparently, it's a court order they can only accept this, it's what we were told...smells of BS, and I wonder why - or if it's even legal to deny service purely because you don't like a certain type of government ID?

Yes it is complete and utter BS.
    Licence holders that allow people between 18-21 years on their premises without appropriate identification can face a fine of €1,500 for a first offence and €2,000 for any subsequent offences. (Appropriate identification includes a National Age Card, a passport, a driving licence, or a identitiy card issued by an EU member state).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/alcohol_and_the_law

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Supervalu in killester wouldn't accept my age card for smokes because it was the 'old version' - I'm 24. I pulled out about 3 other non photographic forms of ID to prove that it was me, and it wasn't an old discarded one. He wouldn't accept them because they weren't photo ID, even though I was just using them to back up my ID!
    I was fuming, and asked for the manager.. They took one look at my card, glared at the till assistant and said that's fine.
    Little bit of common sense would be nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

sdonn wrote: »

I'm fairly sure the oldest you can be to get an age card is 24 anyway??? What happens if you happen to be a very young looking 25 year old, you just don't get served :confused:.

The age card idea is ridiculosu anyway, bringing out a national id card you could use as a valid form of id for travelling, dealing with the government etc would be a far better idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

A woman (albeit a young looking adult) was asked for ID buying a PG rated movie (Cloudy with a chance of meatballs) from Tesco in the queue in front of me last weekend. The assistant would only accept passport or drivers licence, even though the woman had a european ID card to say she was 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

A woman (albeit a young looking adult) was asked for ID buying a PG rated movie (Cloudy with a chance of meatballs) from Tesco in the queue in front of me last weekend. The assistant would only accept passport or drivers licence, even though the woman had a european ID card to say she was 22.

Perhaps she was paying using a creidt/debit card and the pin machine wasn't working?? I know you constantly have to carry ID for this reason in America where chip and pin doesn't exist :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I know you constantly have to carry ID for this reason in America where chip and pin doesn't exist :mad:

not to mention the two dollar tip alot of tellers like to take for themselves :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

A friend of mine who was 35 at the time was asked for ID and I was with her - I nearly died! I couldn't believe it and she gave out to this girl - and the poor girl let her go a head to buy the wine! This girl has to be 18 in order to be allowed to sell wine etc but she looked about 12! Typical!

Anyway we felt fabulous afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Tesco policy is Think 21, if the person looks under 21 your suppose to ask for Garda ID, so anyone over 21 asked for Garda ID should be happy. No point ringing Dublin, all the power to change rests in the UK. Thats what you get from a company with red white and blue as its colours:rolleyes:

Not anymore. Their policy is now Think 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Over a year ago, when I was under 21, I was asked for ID in Tesco and only had my driving license on me. The girl at the till refused to serve me, so I asked to speak to a manager, because I was over 18 and I was buying a lot of items, including a bottle of wine.

He said that a driving license isn't acceptable proof of ID and asked me to just pay for my shopping and leave. I told him I'd go elsewhere and went home, wrote a strongly worded e-mail to customer service after a quick consult with Consumer Rights... and received Tesco vouchers in the post as an apology! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Novella wrote: »
    Over a year ago, when I was under 21, I was asked for ID in Tesco and only had my driving license on me. The girl at the till refused to serve me, so I asked to speak to a manager, because I was over 18 and I was buying a lot of items, including a bottle of wine.

He said that a driving license isn't acceptable proof of ID and asked me to just pay for my shopping and leave. I told him I'd go elsewhere and went home, wrote a strongly worded e-mail to customer service after a quick consult with Consumer Rights... and received Tesco vouchers in the post as an apology! :pac:

sometimes the auld complaint s the bst way of getting the issue sorted - still, would have been better if you'd have skulled the drink in question and puked over the manager!!

Advertisement