Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco and beer...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

justshane wrote: »
    Tesco only accept Garda age card I.D and passports, simple really

Simple, except they don't accept passports.
    I can only speak about my local Tesco, but presumably it goes for all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm so old that even the self service checkout doesn't ask for age validation when I buy alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I was asked for ID to buy a pair of jeans in the states!!:eek:

Did you pay using a credit card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'm so old that even the self service checkout doesn't ask for age validation when I buy alcohol.

It has a detector for stale piss.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Are you a retard? Look up the acronym 'sic' in a dictionary.

And learn the basics of grammar and syntax before commenting on that of others.

Well that's excessively rude!

I rarely get ID'd any more, but if I know I'm going to buy drink then I will carry one with me. It's a store protecting their own asses - I don't see why people are getting so damned offended by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I was delighted when I was asked for ID in Dunnes the other day, until she told me they didn't accept a drivers licence, had to get someone I knew that worked there to verify I was over 18, I'm 29 and used to work there! In fairness though they have to ask or they get in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

FruitLover wrote: »
    Are you a retard? Look up the acronym 'sic' in a dictionary.

And learn the basics of grammar and syntax before commenting on that of others.

It's not an acronym.

Oh the humanityirony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm 44 and was asked for my passport in Israel last year!.

did you get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

When i went to oxegen a few of us went town to tesco to get supplies. Im 18 - although i have no age card - so i normally use my passport, but clearly didnt want to bring it to oxegen so got a photocopy of my passport which was signed and stamped by the guards saying that it was a true copy. Before going into town i asked the guards in oxegen can i be refused alcohol with the photocopy and they said aslong as i had a second form (student card) that there would be no reason to refuse me.
    Went down and explained to the woman at the till - she didnt want to know and took the drink off of me, i walked straight over to another member of staff and showed them two forms of ID explaining i spoke to the guards and she said it would be no problem - i got more drink and qued up at the same till - the evil till woman was raging ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Millicent wrote: »
    Will never work. Trust me, the turnover of staff is something else. Do kick up a fuss but if it's every time, complain to the head office about it. If enough people complain, (theoretically) head office will do something about it.

Tesco Complaints dept is in Scotland so they prob don't have a clue of what a Garda is or Garda ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    and the Irish embassy in Belin.
    That particular embassy might as well not even be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

see sig

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'm 44 and was asked for my passport in Israel last year!.

I usually get asked for my passport when I travel abroad too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never had any trouble using my passport to buy drink anywhere, including Tesco, before.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Never had any trouble using my passport to buy drink anywhere, including Tesco, before.
    I do. Im 18, and when I was 12 my mother decided to get me a 10 year passport :( The shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I do. Im 18, and when I was 12 my mother decided to get me a 10 year passport :( The shame.
    Why, were you an ugly child?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Naos wrote: »
    What has that acroynm got to do with anything?

Actually, it turns out I'm a retard myself, as it's not an acronym at all - it's simply the latin word 'sic' (meaning 'thus') that indicates that the quoter (in this case, the poster) is aware that the quoted phrase is not (gramatically/syntactically) correct. Therefore correcting the quoting poster is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Once in Lidl helping my boyfriend pack up shopping, which included a bottle of wine. He was asked for ID, which he showed. But girl on the till then insisted I needed to show ID cos I was with him. Which I didn't have (garda in my area are NEVER in the station so its been impossible to get one).

anyway, I could prove I was over 18 with a combination of the date of birth on my medical card, and my student card to match the name to my face, but of course, that isn't official so we had to leave it.

Another time when I was younger had to prove I was over 16, when buying a bag of plastic cutlery. Apparently those plastic knives are a real danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Tesco only accept Garda age card I.D and passports, simple really if you look under 25 carry either one of them when buying alcohol. All other forms of I.D is liable to have been tampered with. I'm glad this rule is enforced, stops young people that can't handle their drink getting it so easily.
    well how exactly do you know for sure if you look under 25 or not? and they dont accept passports=not simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Once in Lidl helping my boyfriend pack up shopping, which included a bottle of wine. He was asked for ID, which he showed. But girl on the till then insisted I needed to show ID cos I was with him. Which I didn't have (garda in my area are NEVER in the station so its been impossible to get one).

anyway, I could prove I was over 18 with a combination of the date of birth on my medical card, and my student card to match the name to my face, but of course, that isn't official so we had to leave it.

What if a 30 year old is buying alcohol and he or she is what their child? Does this mean they can't buy it because they are with somebody underage? Fu**ing stupid. You probably should have said "no I'm not with him, I just like helping people pack their bags" and be a real smart ar$e about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Tesco only accept Garda age card I.D and passports, simple really if you look under 25 carry either one of them when buying alcohol. All other forms of I.D is liable to have been tampered with. I'm glad this rule is enforced, stops young people that can't handle their drink getting it so easily.

If you look 24 why would you need to carry one then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

This has never happened to me so I find it hard to believe - I only got carded a couple of times by bouncers when I was with younger, 18-year-old people ( I'm 22, and I look my age). When carded, I always show my european I.D. (yes, there is such a thing.)

On a side note: I was once told by a guard that my european I.D. wasn't a proper I.D., when I told him I had used it to enter the country, he said he should arrest me for being an illegal immigrant.

FFS, just get proper I.D.s what's wrong wit yous?

Saermegil wrote: »
    FFS, just get proper I.D.s what's wrong wit yous?

I do have "proper ID". I have a passport, driving licence and several student cards. What's "wrong with me" is that Tesco doesn't officially accept any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Saermegil wrote: »
    TFFS, just get proper I.D.s what's wrong wit yous?

Proper ID?
    I have a passport and a drivers license.
    I have 2 "proper" IDs!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

passport, drivers licence, and garda id;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

clarke1991 wrote: »
    passport, drivers licence, and garda id;)

Dont need a Garda ID...
    If any place wont accept drivers license -I will go somewhere else.
    There are 1000s of pubs/clubs/off licences etc that will accept it :)

And a lot of them are just as good value as Tesco, and lots are Irish owned.
    Anyone up for a Tesco off-licence boycott? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Dont need a Garda ID...
    If any place wont accept drivers license -I will go somewhere else.
    thats true
    face1990 wrote: »
    im up for that:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

face1990 wrote: »

boycott in general would be better. see sig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Tesco Complaints dept is in Scotland so they prob don't have a clue of what a Garda is or Garda ID.

Sure Tesco consider us to be part of the UK pretty much :mad:. They won't release separate accounts for Ireland.

Advertisement