Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco and beer...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

You need a f*cking passport an age card to buy matches?!?!

Holy crap - talk about nanny state-ism in the extreme.

FYP. :p

AFAIK they have to accept a driving license or passport as they're state-approved forms of ID...

IIRC, they're well within their rights to refuse a driving licence as they are fairly easily forged--agecard is the only one that can't be refused. If you're 23, however, you are not required to carry any ID when purchasing controlled substances but you are obliged if under that age.

Funny when I remember that I flew back from Edinburgh using a student card for ID but could still get stopped for a box of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

yoyo wrote: »
    I know it sounds rediculous but I think shops need to treat NA alcoholic beverages as alcoholic due to containing .001% alcohol or whatever the f**k it is, No excuse if you look your age but wouldnt suprise me if NA beer is treated like alcoholic beer, and thus it shows up on their system as so, I'd love to know if its possible to get drunk off the .001% alcohol NA drinks have actually :D

Nick

Don't know about getting drunk,but I do know that a mate of mine from years gone by was pulled one night,on the way home from the pub,and apparently it registered that he was over the limit,a group of us went on the raz,Anyway to cut a long story short,it was eventually sorted...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I never buy alcohol from Tesco because they kept telling me I need to have an Age Card. If you argue it with them (and have some other ID) they'll usually serve you, but I'd rather go down the road to the Irish-owned off licence where the staff are helpful, not like some of the miserable aul bags behind the tills in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

If my driving license isn't good enough ID for Tesco/Dunnes etc then they can go fuck off, I'll buy my drink somewhere else. Their loss tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Millicent wrote: »
    IIRC, they're well within their rights to refuse a driving licence as they are fairly easily forged--agecard is the only one that can't be refused. If you're 23, however, you are not required to carry any ID when purchasing controlled substances but you are obliged if under that age.

Thing is, they're not obliged to sell you anything, so if you look under a certain age, they'll probably ask you.

I still carry mine around unless I forget it (Age Card that is), just to save hassle and having to find another off-licence. Have gotten asked a few times recently which is nice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Apollo123

Yeah, non-alcoholic alcohol does scan through as a product containing alcohol in Tesco for whatever weird legal reason. Not accepting drivering licences is a company policy and isn't anybody just being a twat. They'll take passport or Garda ID though. And ah sure, take it as a compliment OP ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    seems like the garda ID is the only thing that will make sure they accept you

who the feck over over 20 has a Garda ID! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

^ why are they refusing passports now?

because you might be a mossad agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

445279.ie wrote: »
    You're still at an age when you're insulted by being asked for ID.

Give it another couple of years and you'll be on here boasting about it :D
    Saw a man in his sixties get ID'd in a bar in Chicago O'hare airport. It was bizarre. Apparently they have to ID everyone.

He was embarrassed, the bartender was embarrassed and we all took a silent swig of our pint.

I doubt he's boasting about being the victim of a ridiculous, nannyish rule -- not law -- rule!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

i was in tesco getting a dvd once. it was 15's, im 19. i swear she looked at me for a second and was about to ask me for some ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 redstar6

Ha ha my local Tescos in London today were finding it vey hard to accept an Irish drivers license as form of ID....I suppose it does look like you could make it yourelf......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

"Unexpected underage teenager buying alcohol"

Never been asked for ID in Tesco(me 35) but i was a couple of times going into clubs, ah the compliments: D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Ah sure it's worse in America.
    I was there 2 years ago, in a computer game store and asked to produce ID to buy a computer game (18 cert). I was 36 at the time.

Generalisation :rolleyes:

My friend just got back from a J1 in Chicago, he used his irish university student card as ID, worked every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Ah sure it's worse in America.
    I was there 2 years ago, in a computer game store and asked to produce ID to buy a computer game (18 cert). I was 36 at the time.

I asked if they thought I had progeria, which amused this guy with his kid standing beside me in the queue.

I was asked for ID to buy a pair of jeans in the states!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Erica<3 wrote: »
    I'm 18 and never gotten asked for ID...

lol ur female u have tits

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I was asked for ID to buy a pair of jeans in the states!!:eek:

Big swing! I was asked for ID just to enter Canada. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Since arriving in Ireland, I haven't been carded once. Back in the states I'd get carded all the time. They must hear me talk and assume I'll start a ruckus or something lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's not the country; it's Tescos. [sic]

Tesco! there is no second s

and why on earth are you buying NA beer, thats just gay

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

yoyo wrote: »
    I know it sounds rediculous but I think shops need to treat NA alcoholic beverages as alcoholic due to containing .001% alcohol or whatever the f**k it is, No excuse if you look your age but wouldnt suprise me if NA beer is treated like alcoholic beer, and thus it shows up on their system as so, I'd love to know if its possible to get drunk off the .001% alcohol NA drinks have actually :D

Nick

So they should ask for i.d for people buying mouthwash on dat principle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Are you a retard? Look up the acronym 'sic' in a dictionary.

And learn the basics of grammar and syntax before commenting on that of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm 44 and was asked for my passport in Israel last year!.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FruitLover wrote: »

what, no. I'm just really really drunk...(hic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Apollo123 wrote: »
    Yeah, non-alcoholic alcohol does scan through as a product containing alcohol in Tesco for whatever weird legal reason. Not accepting drivering licences is a company policy and isn't anybody just being a twat. They'll take passport or Garda ID though. And ah sure, take it as a compliment OP ;).

Tesco employee? :D

The non-acoholic beer must be in the same category as beer on the till block that prompts the checkout staff to ask for your id. There was a push from the Garda for the Garda id. I don't think they wanted people losing there passports everytime they got pissed as a few people I know have done when nightclubbing.

If Tesco gets caught selling to unage they get warned then the next time its a harsh warning and then they can get closed for the day and up to a week or lose the off license totally. So your few cans mean feck all compared to the money they lose if you turn out to be underage. They can also sack the checkout person.
    PRODUCT AGE (YEARS)
    Alcohol 18
    Tobacco and tobacco products 18
    Certain DVDs, computer/video games PG, 12, 15, 18
    Chocolate Liqueurs 16

Solvents, adhesives It is an offence to sell to
    persons under 18 where
    there is a reasonable cause
    to suspect solvent abuse
    Knives
    National Lottery and Scratch Cards 18

I have no problem with being asked for ID. I'm glad they do actively check. What I hate is that they insist on Garda ID.

I've been told several times by Tesco staff that they will not accept passports. Only after arguing the point with them have they served me alcohol, despite having 3 other forms of ID with me.
    It really puts me off shopping there because of the hassle.

face1990 wrote: »
    I have no problem with being asked for ID. I'm glad they do actively check. What I hate is that they insist on Garda ID.

I've been told several times by Tesco staff that they will not accept passports. Only after arguing the point with them have they served me alcohol, despite having 3 other forms of ID with me.
    It really puts me off shopping there because of the hassle.

Tell them the policy is insensitive to non-nationals and that the Gardai recognise the passport as valid ID. Or tell them you can do them a favour and put in writing to head office. It's a sh1t policy.

Millicent wrote: »
    Tell them the policy is insensitive to non-nationals and that the Gardai recognise the passport as valid ID. Or tell them you can do them a favour and put in writing to head office. It's a sh1t policy.

I reckon I'll just demonstrate my age and maturity by kicking up a shítstorm instead! :p

It'd be great if I could get the manager to put my name on some sort of whitelist, have a picture of me beside each till saying "Always serve this man".

face1990 wrote: »
    I reckon I'll just demonstrate my age and maturity by kicking up a shítstorm instead! :p

It'd be great if I could get the manager to put my name on some sort of whitelist, have a picture of me beside each till saying "Always serve this man".

Will never work. Trust me, the turnover of staff is something else. Do kick up a fuss but if it's every time, complain to the head office about it. If enough people complain, (theoretically) head office will do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Tesco only accept Garda age card I.D and passports, simple really if you look under 25 carry either one of them when buying alcohol. All other forms of I.D is liable to have been tampered with. I'm glad this rule is enforced, stops young people that can't handle their drink getting it so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

FruitLover wrote: »

What has that acroynm got to do with anything?

It's Tesco, do you say "I'm going to Games or Power Cities"?

As for Op, I was asked for ID in tesco once:

"Do you have ID?
    "No, I'm 24, I don't carry ID."
    "... Okay cool."
    "Cheers."

Advertisement