Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S&W41 v Beretta 87T

Options
  • 13-06-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

Anyone shot both ? , & what did you prefer and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

The grips on the beretta are very small, I dont have big hands and I struggled with it ! The M41 has been around for 50 odd years and going strong ! Its a testament to the quality then again its more than double the cost of an 87T. But both great guns though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

Anyone shot both ? , & what did you prefer and why?

Paddy has the 41 on the shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Guys,
    How much would I pay for a good target shooting pistol, say like the 41 or ruger ,buckmark. Are there any 2nd hand ones about to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Guys,
    How much would I pay for a good target shooting pistol, say like the 41 or ruger ,buckmark. Are there any 2nd hand ones about to ?

Harbour guns have a hammerly excess for under €500.

Thanks Liffy,
    Ill have to check out YouTube lol, I'm not well up on 22 pistols

• Advertisement

Guys, I know this one has been flogged to death, but here we go again lol, I'm thinking of buying a .22 Target pistol, not the Olympic stuff. 10,15,20 and 25m formal type standing, help me out here. Ruger MkII or III, Buckmark, Hammerli IPSC, that's what I have kinda narrowed it down to, I,m drawn towards the Hammerli because of the company Target history, what your experience with theses pistols, I'd be interested to listen to your views. Oh and if I could afford a 41 is it worth the extra money accuracy wise against the rest ?

Pistols are like blondes and redheads.... best advise is to get down to your local pistol club range and try to shoot as many different pistols as you are able to try out.
    Some you will like others you wont.
    Dont go with any set ideas as you could be surprised what pistol suits you best, jyst because you buy something that everyone tells you is a great make doesnt mean it might suit you.
    Also spending lots of money on a pistol wont make you a better shooter.
    Last weekend I saw a Sig win a gold international medal up against Hammerlies, S&W 21, S&W41, and Beretta 87's, so there is still a lot to be said about practice, good luck with your choice and have fun deciding :)

Liffy your right, plenty of fun looking at whats out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Well if I mention that the Gardai now classify non restricted pistols as restricted I'd be sucking some of the joy out of this thread.

Explain Tea Drinker ?

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Explain Tea Drinker ?

Scare mongering, and rumour, based on no facts..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The target forum has a no polictics rule, but i'll explain and then ask that people use the main shootign forum if they wish to discuss it further and leave Liffy fishing's/Wadi14's thread as is.

The reference, Wadi 14, is to this thread in which the OP had his license for an unrestricted .22lr revoked because his Super determined that as the magazine was plugged from 10 round (which is a restricted gun) to 5 round (unrestricted) that the magazine could be altered and make it a 10 round mag (restricted) gun again.

In the past week i've been contacted by a few lads in the same position and two that have applications in for processing and are now being told the same. That their application has been passed onto the Chief Super for consideration as the pistol is deemed to be restricted. The "kicker" is the Chief Super will not look at the application as no new licenses fro restricted short arms are being issued since November 2008 which means legally the Chief Super cannot and will not issue a license.

As said in the thread i linked to, towards the end, they are acting in a somewhat "dodgy" manner as they are in effect preventing a crime from happening by stopping people from having a perfectly legal item under license. As one poster said it's like stopping someone from having a car license because the car they want to buy is able to go above the speed limit.

While the numbers, however small, are alarming they are far too small to be considered a national stance by An Gardaí, and there is no evidence that this is a country wide issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I'm going to make an appointment with my local Super to discuss licencing a pistol before I go and buy one, hopefully try and sort out any issues before they arise. Wish me luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is your best bet.

If he going to refuse better you know it now. However there is a fine line between him saying he will refuse and you actually being refused as one is "word of mouth" and the other is an official refusal that you can argue/fight if you choose to. You cannot appeal a word of mouth refusal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Some posts (which are going down the politics route) moved out of this forum to this thread in the main Shooting forum. It's an important topic, but we're just keeping it a bit tidier and not breaking this forum's sports-only ethos.

Advertisement