Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

129000000 wrote: »
    I can't about these sort of things I know I was over the limit, I drive for a living and if I got 12 points in 3 years my livelihood is gone, on average I drive 450km a day 5-6 days a week basically alot I know these things happen in my case it was accidental, but three years is a very very long time when your on the road as much as I am

What I'm getting at is, there is no point getting worked up about it.
    If you were caught, you were caught.

Not much you can do about it now, but wait and see.
    No point in stressing about it, it won't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 129000000

In my opinion these vans are not for the purpose the government state there for, accident blackspots my a*se, they do be on open stretches of road were alot of drivers put the boot down, hidden in behind bushes or trees, also roads that have steeper declines, these vans are for revenue purposes only, why don't they put them up in donegal or on some of this country's back roads they'd make a absolute fortune, or maybe even save some lives for what they were brought in to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 129000000

mikeecho wrote: »
    What I'm getting at is, there is no point getting worked up about it.
    If you were caught, you were caught.

Not much you can do about it now, but wait and see.
    No point in stressing about it, it won't change anything.

I try not to but you know yourself easier said than done, I'll give it a month and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Should hear in about 3 or 4 weeks by the time the letter goes to your company and then comes back to you
    Might not hear anything at all with a bit of luck
    I went passed a van doing 80 in a 60 and didn’t hear anything

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I try not to but you know yourself easier said than done, I'll give it a month and see what happens.

Also don't for the fact they actually only "catch" on average one car per hour of operation of all vans. There catch rate is surprisingly low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Reati wrote: »
    Also don't for the fact they actually only "catch" on average one car per hour of operation of all vans. There catch rate is surprisingly low.
    Is that because they are visible and people generally slow down?

Is that because they are visible and people generally slow down?

They make people slow down on approach to them and then tear off when past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Gone back several pages here and didn't see an answer, but apologies if this subject has already been discussed.

How close does a vehicle need to be for the camera to see the reg?

Say you come over the brow of a hill doing more than the speed limit, and you see a speed van maybe half a km down a long straight road. Now, I know there's no way I can see his number plate, unless I was steady and using a decent pair of binoculars... can he see mine? He'd have to have a seriously good camera, which maybe he does.
    Stop immediately and go back the other way? Just wondering.

I would guess the equipment would know straight away that you were over the limit, but perhaps you would have to be relatively close for identification purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

spanner555 wrote: »
    Gone back several pages here and didn't see an answer, but apologies if this subject has already been discussed.

How close does a vehicle need to be for the camera to see the reg?

Say you come over the brow of a hill doing more than the speed limit, and you see a speed van maybe half a km down a long straight road. Now, I know there's no way I can see his number plate, unless I was steady and using a decent pair of binoculars... can he see mine? He'd have to have a seriously good camera, which maybe he does.
    Stop immediately and go back the other way? Just wondering.

I would guess the equipment would know straight away that you were over the limit, but perhaps you would have to be relatively close for identification purposes.

I think its the width of the road x2 or else its x3 I've read before. In fairness if you haven't slowed down by then then there is something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

With respect, the answer is littered throughout this thread and the first page of Google results answer it as well. There have been numerous threads on Boards and others, which myself and others have answered ad naseum.

It's, roughly speaking, 2.5 times the width of the road or between 10 and 15m. In old money, 50 to 100ft and less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

ironclaw wrote: »
    With respect, the answer is littered throughout this thread and the first page of Google results answer it as well. There have been numerous threads on Boards and others, which myself and others have answered ad naseum.

It's, roughly speaking, 2.5 times the width of the road or between 10 and 15m. In old money, 50 to 100ft and less.

Fair enough. I went back at least 10 pages on this thread and it wasn't mentioned. Google tells me it works for at least half a mile, "on the first page".
    Thank you for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Fair enough. I went back at least 10 pages on this thread and it wasn't mentioned. Google tells me it works for at least half a mile, "on the first page".
    Thank you for the info.

Well, you mustn't have looked very hard because it's on page 52, 5 pages behind this one by my count.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105333250&postcount=777

Well, you mustn't have looked very hard because it's on page 52, 5 pages behind this one by my count.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105333250&postcount=777

Is it really relevant. He tried, he failed and you helped.

No need to get into a pissing match about it.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Is it really relevant. He tried, he failed and you helped.

No need to get into a pissing match about it.

I think it took more energy to prove the point than answer the question but I do get his point that a search would have found the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Real bitchy answer that

Reati wrote: »
    I think it took more energy to prove the point than answer the question but I do get his point that a search would have found the answer!

While I also see your point in this one of the things that people seem to have missed is he only has approx 40 posts if even. He is either new to boards or does not use it too much, therefore he may not be great at using the search facility.
    We were all new to the platform once and I'm sure over the years we have all made mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

tcawley29 wrote: »
    While I also see your point in this one of the things that people seem to have missed is he only has approx 40 posts if even. He is either new to boards or does not use it too much, therefore he may not be great at using the search facility.
    We were all new to the platform once and I'm sure over the years we have all made mistakes.

Well said, coupled with the fact the infamous boards search engine has always been hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

In my opinion these vans are not for the purpose the government state there for, accident blackspots my a*se, they do be on open stretches of road were alot of drivers put the boot down, hidden in behind bushes or trees, also roads that have steeper declines, these vans are for revenue purposes only, why don't they put them up in donegal or on some of this country's back roads they'd make a absolute fortune, or maybe even save some lives for what they were brought in to do.
    Are you unhappy that the Gardai enforce the laws in general, or just those that you don't agree with? If you're unhappy with some of the laws in the country, by all means campaign to have them changed. But it seems silly to complain about the Gardai enforcing the current laws. That's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Are you unhappy that the Gardai enforce the laws in general, or just those that you don't agree with? If you're unhappy with some of the laws in the country, by all means campaign to have them changed. But it seems silly to complain about the Gardai enforcing the current laws. That's their job.

It is not silly to complain that 80% of motoring law enforcement is aimed at speeding which is a trivial contributor to road accidents in terms of principal cause. It's like focusing all law enforcement on smoking related littering at people letting loose of the little strip of cellophane that unzips the packet, ignoring the butts, the packets and the rest of the cellophane.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sunday was the first time I saw a Go Safe van parked up with the beacon on top flashing,was it just after parking up as I'd never seen one sitting on the roadside with them on.
    It was in a sneaky spot too, within metres of where the limit changes so people instinctively speed up towards the higher limit before they reach the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 2015LC1

Hi I am new to driving on Motorways and stay within the limit but for example if you did over 120 on a motorway and there was a speed van parked in the opposite side of the motorways with a central median like on the M9 or M8, would you be caught for speeding?

What other methods for detecting speed are there?

I am just curious to know! I don’t plan on being over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Sunday was the first time I saw a Go Safe van parked up with the beacon on top flashing,was it just after parking up as I'd never seen one sitting on the roadside with them on.
    It was in a sneaky spot too, within metres of where the limit changes so people instinctively speed up towards the higher limit before they reach the sign.

The beacon is on when the operator is out of the vehicle setting up the trap.

2015LC1 wrote: »
    Hi I am new to driving on Motorways and stay within the limit but for example if you did over 120 on a motorway and there was a speed van parked in the opposite side of the motorways with a central median like on the M9 or M8, would you be caught for speeding?

What other methods for detecting speed are there?

I am just curious to know! I don’t plan on being over the limit

The vans only target approaching traffic, not receding.

The other main method is a Guard holding a laser speed gun.

There are average speed cameras which read your number plate via two cameras separated by some distance that calculate your average speed by computing the time taken to complete the distance. The Dublin port tunnel has these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

cnocbui wrote: »
    The vans only target approaching traffic, not receding.

The other main method is a Guard holding a laser speed gun.

There are average speed cameras which read your number plate via two cameras separated by some distance that calculate your average speed by computing the time taken to complete the distance. The Dublin port tunnel has these.

This is incorrect. The vans can and will record your speed in both directions, as long as they can get line of sight.

This is incorrect. The vans can and will record your speed in both directions, as long as they can get line of sight.

Whoops, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

True, but where the image is captured from the video feed is quite close to the van. So if you are approaching the van under the limit, the likelihood is you will be moving away from the van under the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

gman2k wrote: »
    True, but where the image is captured from the video feed is quite close to the van. So if you are approaching the van under the limit, the likelihood is you will be moving away from the van under the limit

It's true that if you get caught speeding going away from the van, you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place. If you don't see the van as you pass it, you're not paying attention. :D

The detection and picture capture is so close to the back of the van, I'm surprised they catch anyone speeding to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Would 110km/h in a 60km/h limit be an automatic court appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Would 110km/h in a 60km/h limit be an automatic court appearance?

Anything captured by a gosafe van is a ticket.. no matter how much over the limit.
    59km/50km zone = €80 +2 points
    159km/50km zone = €80 + 2 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mikeecho wrote: »
    Anything captured by a gosafe van is a ticket.. no matter how much over the limit.
    59km/50km zone = €80 +2 points
    159km/50km zone = €80 + 2 points

I never knew that. I though the higher the speed the more the fine and points.

Advertisement