Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

kbannon wrote: »
    Given that the number of road fatalities is declining, I'd say that the programme is working.]

I'd strongly disagree with that. Cars are safer now than they were 5 years ago, PCP has had huge uptake so newer cars on the road, we're out of the doldrums of 2008 etc so people have a little more to keep their cars up to scratch, we've had new motorways open, lower speed limits, general increase in population and employment in major centers meaning more people commuting by bus, train etc.

Obviously impossible to prove either way, but considering speeding barely makes it into the top 5 for reasons of death on our roads, its an outlier at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd strongly disagree with that. Cars are safer now than they were 5 years ago, PCP has had huge uptake so newer cars on the road, we're out of the doldrums of 2008 etc so people have a little more to keep their cars up to scratch, we've had new motorways open, lower speed limits, general increase in population and employment in major centers meaning more people commuting by bus, train etc.

Obviously impossible to prove either way, but considering speeding barely makes it into the top 5 for reasons of death on our roads, its an outlier at best.

Speeding is the easiest to enforce - it’s measurable and fairly indisputable. Hence it gets the greatest enforcement in an effort to be seen to be “doing something”

Certainly easier than actually trying to police the endemic bad driving habits on our roads that actually cause the majority of fatal accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I have a question about speed cameras specifically on motorways. If there are any - what type are usually used? And in what band do they operate? Are there any stationary ones that are there all the time?

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What band do they operate in: you'd be better off removing your front license plate and putting a bicycle rack on the back like everyone else instead of getting a detector

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have a question about speed cameras specifically on motorways. If there are any - what type are usually used? And in what band do they operate? Are there any stationary ones that are there all the time?

Thanks for the info!

I'm not aware of any fixed cameras, but Go Safe have had vans on the M18 between Ennis and Gort recently, and I saw one on the M7 somewhere in Tipp a few weeks ago (it was on the west-bound side). Both were parked up on a Garda Only ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think any of the old fixed GatSos are still in operation.
    As for the vans parked along motorways, if you don't see them in time, then seriously reconsider your style of driving!

As for the vans parked along motorways, if you don't see them in time, then seriously reconsider your style of driving!
    How about at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

How about at night?

Eat more carrots

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How about at night?
    "How about at night" what?
    If you can't see a big white van parked along the motorway then you're not being observant or visibility is such that you need to slow down!

"How about at night" what?
    If you can't see a big white van parked along the motorway then you're not being observant or visibility is such that you need to slow down!
    Im usually half asleep then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

phutyle wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any fixed cameras, but Go Safe have had vans on the M18 between Ennis and Gort recently, and I saw one on the M7 somewhere in Tipp a few weeks ago (it was on the west-bound side). Both were parked up on a Garda Only ramp.

That's great, speed vans on the safest class of road in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 129000000

Are the gatso vans set a set speed as in the road they are monitoring is 100km/h is that what the camera is set at?

129000000 wrote: »
    Are the gatso vans set a set speed as in the road they are monitoring is 100km/h is that what the camera is set at?

If you’re asking if the detectors on Go Safe vans are set to the same speed as the posted limit on the bit of road on which they are parked, the answer is yes (notwithstanding their margin of error). It would‘nt make sense for them to have a different speed limit to the road they’re on.

phutyle wrote: »
    If you’re asking if the detectors on Go Safe vans are set to the same speed as the posted limit on the bit of road on which they are parked, the answer is yes (notwithstanding their margin of error). It would‘nt make sense for them to have a different speed limit to the road they’re on.

So would that mean if you were to be traveling on a national/regional road were the limit for trucks/buses is 80km/h but the limit of the road itself is a 100km/h , the camera would not catch a bus or truck going over 80km/h as the camera is set for 100km/h

So would that mean if you were to be traveling on a national/regional road were the limit for trucks/buses is 80km/h but the limit of the road itself is a 100km/h , the camera would not catch a bus or truck going over 80km/h as the camera is set for 100km/h

Very good question.

As far as I know, the operator sets the system up for the speed limit in question (in this case 100km/h), and then the system does all the detecting and photographing without the operator’s input. I haven’t come across anything that says it can differentiate vehicle types and apply different limits to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It would still catch the hgv doing over 80 in a 100.

The radar can determine the approx lenght of a vehicle, by calculating for how long it is in the radar beam along with the detected speed.

So, the limit might be set at 100, but anything over x. xmetres would be flagged.

This particular setting is detailed in the user manual for the Robot Multnova which is used in the Garda vans, I'm presuming that the AGD system in use by GoSafe would have a similar setting since it is a lot newer system.

mikeecho wrote: »
    It would still catch the hgv doing over 80 in a 100.

The radar can determine the approx lenght of a vehicle, by calculating for how long it is in the radar beam along with the detected speed.

So, the limit might be set at 100, but anything over x. xmetres would be flagged.

This particular setting is detailed in the user manual for the Robot Multnova which is used in the Garda vans, I'm presuming that the AGD system in use by GoSafe would have a similar setting since it is a lot newer system.

I have done a quick Google Search on the agd systems and it seems none of there mobile cameras mention bus/hgv, we're as a fixed camera on a pole can differentiate between different vehicles

I have done a quick Google Search on the agd systems and it seems none of there mobile cameras mention bus/hgv, we're as a fixed camera on a pole can differentiate between different vehicles

Try reading this

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.agd-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/010-Modern-AGD-radar-use-and-applications-for-MOVA.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjP4p2wgYTcAhUiIcAKHbVLDPEQFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2mnQrpmeiYrD_zwdV5xfgL

It'll download a PDF from AGD, which talks about determining different types of vehicles.

And from the Multnova

Screenshot_20180704_004845.png

And

Screenshot_20180704_005409.png

And from the Multnova

Screenshot_20180704_004845.png

And

Screenshot_20180704_005409.png

So that would mean the operator inside of van needs to input the range of sizes of hgvs for it to pick up hgvs apart from cars/vans

• Advertisement

Yes..
    speed limit regular = 100 km/h
    Speed limit hgv = 80 km/h

The length might be set at 4.5m for hgv.. Maybe longer.. Maybe shorter.

How long is a car ?

Before 2012, busses and HGVs actually had different speed limits (Busses had 100 km/h on a motorway and max 80 km/h on other roads, but HGVs had max 80 km/h on all roads), as per S.I. No. 546/2008

In 2012, S.I. No. 75/2012 changes that, so that Busses and HGVs are treated the same, but the motorway speed limit was reduced to 90 km/h for both (the max 80 km/h non motorway limit stayed the same).

I wonder was limitations of identifying such vehicles by length a factor in this change?

Edit: I see from the PDF above that the system can be set to take a automatically take a picture and reading of any vehicle that goes over the HGV speed limit. I assume this is so a human can make a decision on what class of vehicle it is, and whether its speed is legal or not.

I think I might be watching the post for the next few weeks by the looks of it how long does it take to get the fine in? And also I was in a company vehicle so what happens there the company keeps record of all drivers and as we drive the vehicles on a 8 hour block everyday they'll name me as I was the driver what happens then?

I think I might be watching the post for the next few weeks by the looks of it how long does it take to get the fine in? And also I was in a company vehicle so what happens there the company keeps record of all drivers and as we drive the vehicles on a 8 hour block everyday they'll name me as I was the driver what happens then?

Fine will be out to the registered owner, usually within 10days or a fortnight.
    The ref owner then has to reply to the fine, stating who was driving.
    Then a fine will be sent to the driver, within a few days of the fines office being informed of who the driver was.

Fine will be out to the registered owner, usually within 10days or a fortnight.
    The ref owner then has to reply to the fine, stating who was driving.
    Then a fine will be sent to the driver, within a few days of the fines office being informed of who the driver was.

Then it will be sent to address on license?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Then it will be sent to address on license?

The form has a section for your company to add your address, so whatever address you have on file for work will be used

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The form has a section for your company to add your address, so whatever address you have on file for work will be used

So from the fine being issued sent to employer then sent back, then sent to me how long would I be normally waiting, as this is a big company with alot of drivers I do not see management that deal with these type of things nor do I want to as this was unfortunate for me the speed crept up on a downhill stretch and as always the camera van was in the right place at the right time.

So from the fine being issued sent to employer then sent back, then sent to me how long would I be normally waiting, as this is a big company with alot of drivers I do not see management that deal with these type of things nor do I want to as this was unfortunate for me the speed crept up on a downhill stretch and as always the camera van was in the right place at the right time.

How long is a piece of string.
    How Hi is a china man
    How Lo is his wife

It's just a speeding ticket, relax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Lmklad wrote: »
    The vans are placed where people speed. Each location is advertised and sign posted. The object is to stop speeding. Why put them where no one speeds? Guaranteed if you get caught speeding at a certain spot you will slow down at that spot next time you pass.

Has anyone ever proven its effective though. I drive about 2 hrs a day. I see vans most days. I see people speeding, slow down for the van then tear off again once pat the van. That tells me it doesn't concern them much.

If the goal is to enforce speed limits average speed cameras are the only system that can really do it. You can't get past the average speed camera and tear off as the overall system will catch you.

• Advertisement

How long is a piece of string.
    How Hi is a china man
    How Lo is his wife

It's just a speeding ticket, relax

I can't about these sort of things I know I was over the limit, I drive for a living and if I got 12 points in 3 years my livelihood is gone, on average I drive 450km a day 5-6 days a week basically alot I know these things happen in my case it was accidental, but three years is a very very long time when your on the road as much as I am

Advertisement