Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arséhole drivers

Options
  • 29-09-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I was driving home from Dundalk on the M1 last night and while over taking a line of cars and buses this woman in a northern reg car drives right up behind me and starts flashing her lights and waving her hands as if I was at fault.

I was doing the speed limit and there was at least 10 vehicles to my left that I was over taking I was wondering where she wanted me to go. This went on until I got past all the traffic and I pulled over to the left where she proceeded to give me the fingers and the wanker sign.

She then pulled in front of me and jammed on the breaks as if to give me a scare which she did especially with my young son in the car.

Why do people think they own the roads and why do people flash the lights to get you to move??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Because they're so much more important than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

This should go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people are dicks. Some people are pussies. And some people are arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If you'd a dash can you could always hand the footage over to Gardai or publish it on YouTube.
    You've no rights to privacy in public and it's recorded footage so it's fact.

Not much you can do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Presuming you were overtaking all the time and not using the over taking lane to gain speed slowly in preparation for overtaking it sounds like you were perfectly in the right and regardless her behavior was out of order.

That said if someone was flashing me I would overtake faster or pull in on the off chance they are driving someone to a hospital in an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If you'd a dash can you could always hand the footage over to Gardai or publish it on YouTube.
    You've no rights to privacy in public and it's recorded footage so it's fact.

Not much you can do otherwise.

He would need a front and rear dash-cam for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

louthguy25 wrote: »
    I was driving home from Dundalk on the M1 last night and while over taking a line of cars and buses this woman in a northern reg car drives right up behind me and starts flashing her lights and waving her hands as if I was at fault.

I was doing the speed limit and there was at least 10 vehicles to my left that I was over taking I was wondering where she wanted me to go. This went on until I got past all the traffic and I pulled over to the left where she proceeded to give me the fingers and the wanker sign.

She then pulled in front of me and jammed on the breaks as if to give me a scare which she did especially with my young son in the car.

Why do people think they own the roads and why do people flash the lights to get you to move??

get a dash cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Honestly OP you will meet this type of driver everywhere. The key is to not give a flying fcuk about them.
    Once you've finished your overtake pull back in and just laugh at them as they shout obscenities at you.. I do it cause I like to think it pisses them off even more :)
    Chill out and just tell them to jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Driving miss daisy types get my goat.

Move out of me way granny.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Driving miss daisy types get my goat.

Move out of me way granny.

Did you just diss Morgan Freeman? :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Moist Mittens

I think they prefer the term "homosexuals"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

bear1 wrote: »
    Honestly OP you will meet this type of driver everywhere. The key is to not give a flying fcuk about them.
    Once you've finished your overtake pull back in and just laugh at them as they shout obscenities at you.. I do it cause I like to think it pisses them off even more :)
    Chill out and just tell them to jog on.

This.

My attitude to drivers like that is that I much prefer them in front of me where I'm in control of the distance between us than behind me, where they're much more likely to do harm.

That said, I always take great pleasure to let a *** like that get past me to watch the boil as they're stuck behind the next car down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

nothing worse than getting stuck behind 'speed limit' types in the fast lane.
    if you want to stay within the limit that's fine but could you do it in the left lane ???

and btw , if folk want to break the speed limit it is nobody else's place to decide the rules but the gardai .

sorry for the rant but it's enraging getting stuck behind someone that purposely won't move just to make the point there's a speed limit...

if you look for trouble you'll get it , it's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If I'm overtaking and someone comes flying up behind me giving it the lights I'll slow down. Any gestures, beeping etc are met with a smile and a wave.

It's easy not to be an arséhole, If I'm approaching a slower moving vehicle and can see someone behind me that is clearly going way faster I'll lift my foot and let them pass before I pull out.

The old man always told that if anyone wants to go faster than you just let them off, no point getting 'involved'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Pay no heed to them, just concentrate on your own driving, if I got flustered by every driver that gave me the horn or flashed me on the road I'd never leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

where's my comment gone ? it's not offensive and does not contain bad language like in the thread title ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

louthguy25 wrote: »

Someone did that to me some years back, on a single carriage road. Thing was though, I was in a Hilux towing a trailer and she was in a little fart car with kids in the back.

It just beggars belief :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

italodisco wrote: »

Indeed.

where's my comment gone ? it's not offensive and does not contain bad language like in the thread title ???

This one? :)
    if you want to stay within the limit that's fine but could you do it in the left lane ???

and btw , if folk want to break the speed limit it is nobody else's place to decide the rules but the gardai .

sorry for the rant but it's enraging getting stuck behind someone that purposely won't move just to make the point there's a speed limit...

We turned over the page dear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

gramar wrote: »
    If I'm overtaking and someone comes flying up behind me giving it the lights I'll slow down. Any gestures, beeping etc are met with a smile and a wave.

It's easy not to be an arséhole, If I'm approaching a slower moving vehicle and can see someone behind me that is clearly going way faster I'll lift my foot and let them pass before I pull out.

The old man always told that if anyone wants to go faster than you just let them off, no point getting 'involved'.

Your first paragraph seems at odds with your last.

• Advertisement

If you're in the right lane but overtaking then you don't have to be going at the speed limit but I would certainly agree that people who stay there just to prove a point are knobends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

hardCopy wrote: »

Sound like simple self-preservation to me.

If they're going to crash into my boot, I'd prefer it if they did so at 80kph rather than 120kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

He was overtaking cars on the left, woman behind him was completely in the wrong

I probably would agree with you if the driver in the fast lane is overtaking sweet F all - which you see a lot on the M6.
    But, if someone is overtaking a row of cars which are obviously going slower than the limit then I'd just wait until the person has finished and then speed up past them. If they still refuse to move the left then I'd stick on the indicator.
    There are far too many brake testers in Ireland to do 120 right up someones arse on the motorway.
    At the end of the day what have you lost? 10/20 seconds?

hardCopy wrote: »

You're right it does but sure we don't always do what our daddys tell us!

I suppose my point is that even if you're in the 'overtaking' lane once you're overtaking then people shouldn't be flashing. If you're ambling along there stopping others from passing then thats a different story.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why does a motorway only have two lanes?

Why does a motorway only have two lanes?

How many should it have?

There's always some asrehole somewhere.

Whether its the guy, or lady, who sticks in the outside because they're a wannabe Gard and its their job to enforce the speed limit.

or the person with the minor personality disorder who can't bear to be arrive 30 seconds.

Thing is to just keep your cool (and even I don't always :o) but sometimes being right means SFA at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That has nothing to do with the OP.

The OP was overtaking other cars, and the OP pulled in when the manouver was complete.

It's not bad behaviour to be in the overtaking lane while overtaking other cars and driving at the speed limit as long as you keep left when you're not overtaking.

Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you're not hogging the overtaking lane and just using it to overtake, just get out of their way. Life's too short to start messing with them or braking in front of them on a motorway. With any luck they'll crash eventually.

There's no such thing as a fast lane by the way. Unless used as a dumb metaphor in a lifestyle supplement.

Advertisement