Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Deskjockey wrote: »
    What an arsehole Loughnane is. Mullane owes us absolutely nothing.

Is there any link to the full article? You can use isolated quotes to justify anything. The reason I am asking is I was told be a prominent ex-hurler from a neighbouring county that Mullane allegedly said on radio on Sunday that he and Eoin Kelly would have made the difference (note: 'allegedly' was not used by the person telling me this). If this is true, and there are obviously a lot of people outside the county who believe it to be true, then there was always going to be a backlash. I don't think Loughnane, in particular, has ever forgiven us for being in the way when Lynch and Co came out swinging in '98.

No-one inside the county is going to doubt Mullane's commitment to the Deise cause and his right to call it a day whenever he sees fit but at times he has put himself at the centre of the story when he would be better advised to stick with general punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I reckon the team lineup will be similar to this:

1. Darren Duggan
    2. Colin Walsh
    3. Kieran Power
    4. Shane McNulty
    5. Stephen O'Keefe
    6. Darragh Fives
    7. Ray Barry
    8. Paudie Prendergast
    9. Stephen Roche
    10. Donie Breathnach
    11. Eamon Murphy
    12. Jake Dillon
    13. Colin Dunford
    14. Cormac Heffernan
    15. Jamie Barron

You could see several positional switches but factoring in injuries that looks about right to me. Colin Dunford is corner forward as while I know he's playing again not sure is he 100% fit. Jake Dillon could switch with Heffernan if they needed a more ball winning half forward line. All in all it looks pretty strong.
    I heard Tadgh Bourke is going to be full back, so I could see Kieran Power moving out to wing back and then o keefe moving to corner back in place of Colin Walsh maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I heard Tadgh Bourke is going to be full back, so I could see Kieran Power moving out to wing back and then o keefe moving to corner back in place of Colin Walsh maybe.

I haven't heard anything team wise was just based on who I knew was available and previous u21 games. Tadhg Bourke would be interesting there, very good hurler but fierce young for a full back at this level. The team should be announced tonight I would imagine?

I haven't heard anything team wise was just based on who I knew was available and previous u21 games. Tadhg Bourke would be interesting there, very good hurler but fierce young for a full back at this level. The team should be announced tonight I would imagine?
    Yeah I was surprised aswel, he was doing the leaving cert around the time they were playing the challenge matches v tipp in carrick and so on, he's a tall lad but I think he's more suited to wing back and leave kieran power where he is.
    Yeah surely will be announced tonight, gavin o brien and paudie mahony are sum big losses, not a lot of options there from the bench if things are going bad. Wonder if madigan is anywhere near a starting role, could move ray barry into the forwards then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Watched the minor again, the amount of steps taken for the equalising goal were ridiculous.
    Also think some of the comments on Gleesons late run were very harsh, the clearance may not have been on as there was two limerick forwards on his shoulder and the hook was on. If he got hooked there in the centre at that stage he would be criticised too. it looked to me like an almost hestitant run as he looked for options to lay it off, Limerick players converged and he got sent up a blind alley but I wouldn't be too critical...

The commentator said Curran is underage again next year, I am certain he came on in the 2011 final so that is four years for him as a minor, he is class

noiniho wrote: »
    Watched the minor again, the amount of steps taken for the equalising goal were ridiculous.
    Also think some of the comments on Gleesons late run were very harsh, the clearance may not have been on as there was two limerick forwards on his shoulder and the hook was on. If he got hooked there in the centre at that stage he would be criticised too. it looked to me like an almost hestitant run as he looked for options to lay it off, Limerick players converged and he got sent up a blind alley but I wouldn't be too critical...

The commentator said Curran is underage again next year, I am certain he came on in the 2011 final so that is four years for him as a minor, he is class

Nope that would have been his older brother Cathal. I'm not sure that he played last year either, though I was told he was the best of the 4 brothers from Dungarvan and he certainly looks to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Team for Thursday announced

1. Darren Duggan Dungarvan
    2. Shane McNulty De La Salle
    3. Tadhg Bourke Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    4. Shane Roche Shamrocks
    5. Ray Barry Lismore
    6. Darragh Fives Tourin
    7. Paudie Prendergast Lismore
    8. Kieran Power Clonea
    9. Donie Breathnach An Rinn
    10. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    11. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    12. Colm Curran Dungarvan
    13. Colin Dunford Colligan
    14. Stephen Roche Mount Sion
    15. Eamonn Murphy Dunhill

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Team for Thursday announced

1. Darren Duggan Dungarvan
    2. Shane McNulty De La Salle
    3. Tadhg Bourke Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    4. Shane Roche Shamrocks
    5. Ray Barry Lismore
    6. Darragh Fives Tourin
    7. Paudie Prendergast Lismore
    8. Kieran Power Clonea
    9. Donie Breathnach An Rinn
    10. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    11. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    12. Colm Curran Dungarvan
    13. Colin Dunford Colligan
    14. Stephen Roche Mount Sion
    15. Eamonn Murphy Dunhill
    If that team lines out the same as in the programme I will give ye all €1000 each ha ha

If that team lines out the same as in the programme I will give ye all €1000 each ha ha

I will find you and knock on your door til Im paid :pac:

• Advertisement

I will find you and knock on your door til Im paid :pac:
    I rang Peter Quelly before I made that statement, I feel confident enough!!

I rang Peter Quelly before I made that statement, I feel confident enough!!

Tell us the team so :D Nah don't, I have it on good authority that Davy Fitz reads this thread and that he may even post from time to time :eek:

Tell us the team so :D Nah don't, I have it on good authority that Davy Fitz reads this thread and that he may even post from time to time :eek:
    I heard the same, rumour has it he's PTH2009, can't say I'm shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Nope that would have been his older brother Cathal. I'm not sure that he played last year either, though I was told he was the best of the 4 brothers from Dungarvan and he certainly looks to be.

Yeah I remember a friend telling me about 4 or 5 years ago that of the 4 brothers, Patrick looks to be the best after we met his father in Thurles before a senior game. He certainly does look to be I'd have to say (not taking anything away from the other 3 brothers, all fine hurlers too).

Happy enough with that U21 team, think it's as strong as was available. I don't mean to be harsh on Paudie Mahony but I don't think the loss of him is as big as some are making out. He's a good player and would bring some experience and leadership to the team but let's face it, he's been off form all year. I'm looking at it from the point of view that if he was available, who would you take out of those 6 forwards to put him in? IMO, I'd be happy to stick with those 6 forwards named. He would be an option for the bench though.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah I remember a friend telling me about 4 or 5 years ago that of the 4 brothers, Patrick looks to be the best after we met his father in Thurles before a senior game. He certainly does look to be I'd have to say (not taking anything away from the other 3 brothers, all fine hurlers too).

Happy enough with that U21 team, think it's as strong as was available. I don't mean to be harsh on Paudie Mahony but I don't think the loss of him is as big as some are making out. He's a good player and would bring some experience and leadership to the team but let's face it, he's been off form all year. I'm looking at it from the point of view that if he was available, who would you take out of those 6 forwards to put him in? IMO, I'd be happy to stick with those 6 forwards named. He would be an option for the bench though.
    you'd take off curran, roche or dunford straight away for him, it's a very big step up from u21 to senior, I'd personally love to have him availible

Cake Man wrote: »

When he was 12? Fairplay to whoever that was, I suppose i you saw them all at the same age you;d know.

I'd have him ahead of a few to be honest, Curran, Roche and Dunford for starters. All good hurlers but Paudie is three years a Senior hurler, and a talented lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Is there any link to the full article? You can use isolated quotes to justify anything. The reason I am asking is I was told be a prominent ex-hurler from a neighbouring county that Mullane allegedly said on radio on Sunday that he and Eoin Kelly would have made the difference (note: 'allegedly' was not used by the person telling me this). If this is true, and there are obviously a lot of people outside the county who believe it to be true, then there was always going to be a backlash. I don't think Loughnane, in particular, has ever forgiven us for being in the way when Lynch and Co came out swinging in '98.

No-one inside the county is going to doubt Mullane's commitment to the Deise cause and his right to call it a day whenever he sees fit but at times he has put himself at the centre of the story when he would be better advised to stick with general punditry.

No the full article is not available online. I looked on the star website and the only Mullane article there is from when he retired saying he was a good player, not a great player, and that he got a lot of points in Croke park when games were over. Another spiteful opinion piece article that from memory was also written by Loughnane. ( there's no name under the article so I'm open to correction on this). So possibly a bit of history there.

I take the point that stuff can be taken out of context but I was responding to the line that Mullane has left his county down which to me is a horrible thing to say about someone who has given his all to the cause for a long number of years. I just think its uncalled for, there's a big difference between saying this and saying Mullane would have made a big difference on Sunday which is a fair point, sure we all said it. It's just the difference between saying something in a hurtful gratuitous way, and a nice way IMO.

And yes you're right, maybe Mullanes newspaper columns & interviews don't do him any favours. The sniping at Michael Ryan during the year was a little beneath him I thought, however I suppose opinion piece writers (or ghost writers :) ) need to look as if they're able to exercise independent judgement. I hadn't heard that radio interview you mentioned, in fact I haven't even seen the match yet as I never taped the feckin thing, or the Sunday game.

tl;dr - Loughnane's a prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

When he was 12? Fairplay to whoever that was, I suppose i you saw them all at the same age you;d know.

he actually was I remember noticing him. He was tiny for his age but was racking up big scores in games like 1-12 for Dungarvan CBS in a Rice Cup u14 game. I rememeber he was so small in his first year as an u14 he played Sonny Walsh as they obviously thought the Tony Forrestal would be too physical for him.

any word on what happened Martin O'Neill? Looked in a lot of pain Saturday night coming off.

robopaddy wrote: »
    he actually was I remember noticing him. He was tiny for his age but was racking up big scores in games like 1-12 for Dungarvan CBS in a Rice Cup u14 game. I rememeber he was so small in his first year as an u14 he played Sonny Walsh as they obviously thought the Tony Forrestal would be too physical for him.

I think shane Bennett and Mike Kearney played sonny walsh as well

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

any word on what happened Martin O'Neill? Looked in a lot of pain Saturday night coming off.

Cruciate I heard

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Cruciate I heard

hope he makes a full recovery.

Massive commitment for 9 months+ only to finally get on the field and have that happen to you within a minute. must be crushing. Especially when your out of the championship aswell its like no one gives a crap anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Watched the minor again
    Where'd you see it? Is it online somewhere?

hope he makes a full recovery.

Massive commitment for 9 months+ only to finally get on the field and have that happen to you within a minute. must be crushing. Especially when your out of the championship aswell its like no one gives a crap anymore

Michae Ryan confirmed it as a cruciate http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-star-oneill-to-go-under-the-knife-after-cruciate-blow-29425926.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Best wishes to him, terrible thing.

TG4 Player has GAA 2013, the highlights are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

12 mins of the minor on the iphone/ipad JustPlay app, they were lucky to get the replay out of it, could have been worse for sure.

At least we get 2 more opportunities to see the minors in action (at a minimum).

12 mins of the minor on the iphone/ipad JustPlay app, they were lucky to get the replay out of it, could have been worse for sure.

At least we get 2 more opportunities to see the minors in action (at a minimum).

I dunno the last goal looked like a blatant case of steps. Limerick had some loose play. They'll really need to try and get a handle on Foran. Likewise, we need to contain Cian Lynch.

Lucky in the end in the sense that they fluffed a late chance to win it but we should have been home and dry at that stage.

We were much better team for long stages of the game and I think we definetly have more all-round quality. But its worrying how we baulked when they came with a strong finish. its up to management now to make sure the lads are in the right frame of mind going into the replay as this will have felt like a defeat walking off that field

GAAJustplay Iphone app

I dunno the last goal looked like a blatant case of steps. Limerick had some loose play. They'll really need to try and get a handle on Foran. Likewise, we need to contain Cian Lynch.

Cian Lynch scored some great points because in fairness his marker Tom Devine was putting him under alot of pressure but he still got the shot away, Lynch just had too much pace. I would put Shane Bennet on him from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

im liking the the team named for tomorrow night

Hslaw wrote: »
    im liking the the team named for tomorrow night

Plenty of talented hurlers. If the game was open and we managed to play the right balls in to the forwards we could really take on their defense. A lot of those boys have an eye for goal. But, we had some serious problems with small forwards last year that were getting cleaned and we appear to have similar problems this year with 5 of the named forward line.

That said, I could see Donie Breathnach wing of Centre, Dillon or Murphy at full forward, Jamie Barron in the corner, Stephen Roche in midfield and Kieran Power switching with one of the wing backs, probably Paudie Prender. Breathnach and Colm Curran at wing forward would certainly be more of an aerial presence. Whoever is playing centre forward is goiong to be marking Jamie Shanahan, who is tall and strong. So we need someone small and fast running at him. Murphy or Dillon would be my preference, Barron could work but the others have a little bit more of a physical presence. But if high ball is lumped down the centre then we will lose the match, and probably by a decent bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭seananigans

What's the general feeling for keeping Michael Ryan on ?

I was thinking with the finances it's a foregone conclusion and i think he has made a team out of Waterford as opposed to a group of talented hurlers.

would fancy him having one hell of a deep bench in 2 years and we wont be so reliant on 1-2 players playing well for scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was thinking with the finances it's a foregone conclusion and i think he has made a team out of Waterford as opposed to a group of talented hurlers.

would fancy him having one hell of a deep bench in 2 years and we wont be so reliant on 1-2 players playing well for scores.

Who else is there really ? From looking at Donal Og Cusacks analysis on team tactics etc on the Sunday game I think he would make a good manager.

But getting in the big name managers don't always work out well eg Donal o Grady in limerick, Ger Loughnane in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I hope Michael Ryan is given a 2 or 3 year term. He has done an excellent job in getting good performances from these players and having them play as a team. He has brought stability to the set up and the rest of the management team has improved the potential of the panel also with Cullinane improving the defensive side and Flanagan improving fitness while not tiring out the players as the season goes on.

We have shown this year we deserve to be in the top division in the league against many who doubted this panel's ability including some of our own and also shown we are not far off beating KK who have been the best for along time now. If we can find forwards that can win ball in the air and are strong and can score for next year then I believe with this current management team, a munster title could be a real possiblity next year and possibly an all ireland within 3 years. But if some other management come's in then I think this upward curve we are on will go in the opposite direction. That management team deserve another 2 or 3 years so I hope the county board makes the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to the lads tonight v Clare. It'll be very tough but the team has plenty of quality and players that have done well lately (Dillon, Barron, Fives) so hopefully they can continue that form into tonight.
    Big incentive in that we'd have a Munster final at home v Tipp if we were to win tonight.
    Are there any minors on the panel - Ozzie Gleeson maybe? I suspect not in light of the replay next week but just thought there might be one or two on the bench.
    Anyone know if WLR are doing the game live lads?

Will a decision be made soon? They are absolute clowns if they go and appoint another manager, need stability over the next few years rather than bringing in a new man and the players having to prove themselves again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

They are absolute clowns if they ................

I think they have more than proved that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

With the right backroom team, we would be foolish to opt for a fresh manager, in my opinion. Adding a top notch attacking coach, as well as keeping Pat Flanagan and Sean Cullinane is critical, I think.

Maybe Paul Flynn as an attacking coach, if he was interested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=196628

Loughnanes article on Mullane. Very harsh. I think Loughnane knows those comments will hurt Mullane which is the most disappointing thing. Expected better, even from him

If not being quoted out of context, Loughnane just looks very poor having made those sort of comments. If these were his personal thoughts, he should have kept them that way if he could not have shared them in a more diplomatic way. There's a world of difference for example between the Hogan Stand link and quotes above versus making the point that if Mullane had been on the pitch he very well might been the factor that would have pushed Waterford over the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭seananigans

With the right backroom team, we would be foolish to opt for a fresh manager, in my opinion. Adding a top notch attacking coach, as well as keeping Pat Flanagan and Sean Cullinane is critical, I think.

Maybe Paul Flynn as an attacking coach, if he was interested ?

Did we ever find out what really happened with ken

• Advertisement

Did we ever find out what really happened with ken

Maybe the amount of abuse that was going around from some supporters when Eoin came on against Cork was a factor, but i dont know

Maybe the amount of abuse that was going around from some supporters when Eoin came on against Cork was a factor, but i dont know

nah anyone who knows the mcgraths knows they are bigger than that. There was no hidden agenda as far as Im aware he just found it hard having been a player for so long that the same buzz wasnt there from being on the sideline. I think he felt he needed to give something back to his club for a a while aswell and is just going take a step back from the intercounty scene for a couple years. I think we'll definetly see him involved again at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Shouldnt even be up for debate really imo, he has done an excellent job gotten good results and developed a good team in whats been a tough time of transition.

Will a decision be made soon? They are absolute clowns if they go and appoint another manager, need stability over the next few years rather than bringing in a new man and the players having to prove themselves again

The general consensus is that he will be offered another term and you cant but say that hes earned it. I think hes come on leaps and bounds as a coach and a manager in the past 2 years as you have to admit he looked pretty clueless when he came in first.

I think its a reflection of where were at given we havent been out of the championship this early since in over 10 years however its probably the most optimistic people have been in a long while. We were getting to AI semi finals under Davy Fitz yet the consensus was that we were going nowhere. Unlike Davy Fitz I think skully has the interests of Waterford hurling at heart and is interested in the future of Waterford and seeing our young hurlers developing

Unless there was someone glaringly obvious that could come in and do better I dont see any change next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Shouldn't even be up for debate, deserves at least another term and possibly more if we continue our progress next year.

Met him for the first time after the minor match against Cork and would add that he was a pleasure to talk to. His passion for Waterford GAA was very obvious even from a brief conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Not sure if this is official, but I've been told this is the team for tonight V Waterford.

Ronan Taafe
    Paul Flanagan
    David mcInerney
    Jack Browne
    Seadna Morey
    Alan O Neill
    Stephen O halloran
    Colm Galvin
    Tony Kelly
    Peter Duggan
    Podge Collins
    Arron Cunningham
    Cathal O Connell
    Daire Keane
    Shane O Donnell

The main losses from last year's team being the creativity and finishing ability of Conor McGrath and Cathal MacInerney and the physical presence of CConor Ryan and Shane Golden.

The matchup between Podge Collins and Darragh Fives will be interesting, both had a long evening Saturday.
    3 good goalscorers in the inside line, both wing forwards able to win their own ball. Happy to see Tony Kelly back in midfield also.

One worry I'd have is the amount of this team on the senior panel, they've done very little as an entire unit, I guess though that Waterford are in a similar boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Who else is there really ? From looking at Donal Og Cusacks analysis on team tactics etc on the Sunday game I think he would make a good manager.

But getting in the big name managers don't always work out well eg Donal o Grady in limerick, Ger Loughnane in Galway.

Donal O'Grady was a big sucess in Limerick and laid the foundations for what we seen last Sunday.

Loughnane maybe a big name, mostly because of he's own self promoting, but aside from ther '95-'99 Clare team what did he actually ever achieve anywhere else, he was a selector for Clare previously and he was sacked, he had an unsuccessfull spell as U21 manager and then had he's flop with Galway. A great motiovator who had an exceptional set of backs/midfielders at he's disoposal but far from a great manager.

All that aside this debate is completely unnessecary as Michael Ryan is clearly the right man for the job and anything other than him been retained would be a step backwards for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've heard people from Down give really positive feedback about Paul Flynn. He did a good job with Carlow's U21s as well by all accounts. We could do worse than to have him involved.

Also, do we have a goalkeeping coach? I'm sure there is someone coming in doing drills, but when we have a young keeper it'd be great if we had someone experienced coming in to give him advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've heard people from Down give really positive feedback about Paul Flynn. He did a good job with Carlow's U21s as well by all accounts. We could do worse than to have him involved.

Also, do we have a goalkeeping coach? I'm sure there is someone coming in doing drills, but when we have a young keeper it'd be great if we had someone experienced coming in to give him advice.

Pat Moore is the goalkeeping coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I thought he was a referee, now hes a goal keeping coach, Who ever was passing on the info re who the best goalkeeper in waterford was up to when sok took over again should no longer be in that position, unless he had some personal preference for picking iggy,and why would he ?,i mean its not as if its well known he has a love for all things mount sion,and that of course is not the sions fault,but jesus Goal keeping coach, what a load of crap.

I thought he was a referee, now hes a goal keeping coach, Who ever was passing on the info re who the best goalkeeper in waterford was up to when sok took over again should no longer be in that position, unless he had some personal preference for picking iggy,and why would he ?,i mean its not as if its well known he has a love for all things mount sion,and that of course is not the sions fault,but jesus Goal keeping coach, what a load of crap.

Dry up mate, I think Pat Moore used be a goalkeeper. He refereed, and holds refereeing seminars and coaching seminars for prospective coaches i.e. he has a background in coaching. He doesn't pick who starts, thats the selectors (including the manager in that) job. He's obviously doing a decent job.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement