Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

now that silly season is chilling out I will start buying a few sucks

So what should I be expecting to pay for AAX and HEX heifer and bull calves for 10day olds off the farm
    cant see there being too many around tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

whelan2 wrote: »
    cant see there being too many around tbh

from 250 to 350,they are making it no bother down here in west cork anyway the few that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Any update on calves this week? Looking to pick up a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Sold some fr bulls last saturday had early numbers and did not hang about to see others sold but got from 115-145 "145 chap was 3 weeks" sold more at the house just the two weeks of age 115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

loveta wrote: »
    Sold some fr bulls last saturday had early numbers and did not hang about to see others sold but got from 115-145 "145 chap was 3 weeks" sold more at the house just the two weeks of age 115

Good prices where did he sell them

• Advertisement

Carrigallen mart, the ones at home went to a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Sold 5 in Bandon today, 4 @ 80 2-3 weeks old and 1 @ 180 5 weeks old - very strong, Dam went 5days overtime with him. All fr bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

now that silly season is chilling out I will start buying a few sucks

So what should I be expecting to pay for AAX and HEX heifer and bull calves for 10day olds off the farm

I'd say you'd need to buy before spring madness starts. Lads expect that with the quota problems looming farmers will hold calves and buy calves to drink the "free milk", so I wouldn't expect reasonable prices ten.
    Saturday gone bye I saw BBx weanlings sold for €675, they were bought to drink milk costing €450-500 as 3 week old sucks. So the farmer ran them for 8 months at a loss to drink the free milk., I just don't understand it.

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd say you'd need to buy before spring madness starts. Lads expect that with the quota problems looming farmers will hold calves and buy calves to drink the "free milk", so I wouldn't expect reasonable prices ten.
    Saturday gone bye I saw BBx weanlings sold for €675, they were bought to drink milk costing €450-500 as 3 week old sucks. So the farmer ran them for 8 months at a loss to drink the free milk., I just don't understand it.
    and then wonders why they make no money on them..... better off buying the hex/lim you where talking about earlier imo

and then wonders why they make no money on them..... better off buying the hex/lim you where talking about earlier imo

Over last few weeks we've bought in a dozen weanling Ch/LM/bl heifers from suckler herds, decent animals, €655 average inc mart fees. June to September calves.
    I'd rather have sucks but I think for me these make more sense regarding making a bit of a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Holstein bull calves at 14 days = €54/head average. That includes some freemartin twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I got a text off one of the lads of the 2 lads I bought calves off last year ex farm. His first few heifers are all fr calves but should be aax coming next. Ill buy as many calves as I can afford of the 2 of them this year again. ex farm is great. no marts or messing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭limo_100

I got a text off one of the lads of the 2 lads I bought calves off last year ex farm. His first few heifers are all fr calves but should be aax coming next. Ill buy as many calves as I can afford of the 2 of them this year again. ex farm is great. no marts or messing

how many did you rear last year? and did you sell them already or are you gonna keep them for another year??

Over last few weeks we've bought in a dozen weanling Ch/LM/bl heifers from suckler herds, decent animals, €655 average inc mart fees. June to September calves.
    I'd rather have sucks but I think for me these make more sense regarding making a bit of a profit.

Have to agree.
    will you try finish the weanlings or sell as stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No offence to marts or dealers but we buy most of our calves directly from farms that we have dealt with over the years. No issues with pneumonia and in particular Crypto.

Have to agree.
    will you try finish the weanlings or sell as stores?

Stores. Were not set up for finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

He have been better off buying a few Fresians or even JEx's, Friesian bought as calves in the spring are leaving most profit

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

He have been better off buying a few Fresians or even JEx's, Friesian bought as calves in the spring are leaving most profit
    Friesians generally leave the most profit in any event...

limo_100 wrote: »
    how many did you rear last year? and did you sell them already or are you gonna keep them for another year??

reared 26 but that's because supply ran out. Hope to rear 40 this year and I winter for 1 year but in process of planning a 3rd shed for weanlings on straw. See what the funds are like

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

reared 26 but that's because supply ran out. Hope to rear 40 this year and I winter for 1 year but in process of planning a 3rd shed for weanlings on straw. See what the funds are like

Wait and see the price! I reared none last year and bought great stores for less than calf+rearing price, without anything given to labour:D
    Do the sums, some lads go mad just to have calves.
    Unless you're a dairy farmer with "free" surplus milk, us lads buying replacer to give to expensive calves are on a hiding to nothing.
    That said, I'm rearing friesions this year...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Friesians generally leave the most profit in any event...

sometimes, less money tied up in stock i see, but ya have to buy a fr with some bit of scope/quality about them imo, a bad fr is a bad hoor for life

Are there any ages ye would prefer to buy at? On those 5 I sent this week the youngest was the bare 2 weeks and sold for 80 and I could see him being as strong as the one I sold at 5 weeks for 180 at the same age. The better value may be in the younger calves, obviously risks are there too with them being easier to upset I guess

Milked out wrote: »
    Are there any ages ye would prefer to buy at? On those 5 I sent this week the youngest was the bare 2 weeks and sold for 80 and I could see him being as strong as the one I sold at 5 weeks for 180 at the same age. The better value may be in the younger calves, obviously risks are there too with them being easier to upset I guess

I normally buy at 10/14 days

AAX heifer calves at €120/130 Bulls €180 out of the yard

I normally buy at 10/14 days

AAX heifer calves at €120/130 Bulls €180 out of the yard

If your getting a steady deal from the farm then it's very workable.

2 lads rang me this morning looking for calves. Must be a shortage

2 lads rang me this morning looking for calves. Must be a shortage

every cow in the country is been calved in march 2015 it seems no superlevy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭limo_100

fair play to ya i reared ten black whitehead heifers this year.You do sell them at 18months is it?? what kind of weights and return are you getting from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

I was talking to a calf dealer today, he said they are only trading on to farmers at the minute as the prices on the continent are very poor at the moment.

Is their many calves for sale at the moment? We are looking for square Friesian bull calves at the moment so drop me a pm if you have any available or know of someone with them for sale. Would look at angus, hereford etc also. We would perfer to deal with direct with farmers

Four 3 to 5 week old fr €140, one 12 day old €140 and 2 small 12 day old calves €70. Would prob have paid to hold younger calves but needed space

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    Four 3 to 5 week old fr €140, one 12 day old €140 and 2 small 12 day old calves €70. Would prob have paid to hold younger calves but needed space

Was that a mart sale milked out?
    Thought prices had slipped back a bit but that what they were at, have a dealer who i normally sell calves to but wont go over 110 for 2-3 week lads

Advertisement