Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

I studied my ass off for Chemistry and i thought my paper went pretty well but the marking must have been shocking cause i really didnt think i dropped 40marks to drop to an A2 :/

Should view the script!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

I studied my ass off for Chemistry and i thought my paper went pretty well but the marking must have been shocking cause i really didnt think i dropped 40marks to drop to an A2 :/
    I totally agree with you to be perfectly honest, I don't think I'd drop 40 marks too easily... Getting to see my script on Saturday anyway :)))

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

simons545 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you to be perfectly honest, I don't think I'd drop 40 marks too easily... Getting to see my script on Saturday anyway :)))

Same ah sure look it an A2 in honours chemistry is some achievement :)

Same ah sure look it an A2 in honours chemistry is some achievement :)

Sorry haha maybe I didn't quite clarify, I got the same after studying my ass off :P

We were messaging each other day before the exam and I was convinced that we had our A1s in the bag. Got an A2 also :o Viewing script on Saturday.

• Advertisement

We were messaging each other day before the exam and I was convinced that we had our A1s in the bag. Got an A2 also :o Viewing script on Saturday.

i know me too...let me know how you get on :)...im going into to view all of my cause one day im hoping to go teaching so experience and that :D...what is everyone going doing? and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

In case anyone doesn't already know, the marking schemes are online now on the SEC website.

Ompala wrote: »
    In case anyone doesn't already know, the marking schemes are online now on the SEC website.
    And what disastrous marking schemes they are.
    You know you're ****ed when "to not trap any air" is wrong instead of "oxygen" at the very beginning of your paper...

You know you're ****ed when "to not trap any air" is wrong instead of "oxygen" at the very beginning of your paper...

What I wrote vs. What they wanted.
    Manganese Sulphate - Manganese(II) sulphate
    Emits light - emits a photon of light
    Electron shell - electron octet
    Area - Region
    Iron sulphate - Iron(II) Sulphate
    Average mass of the isotopes of an element - average mass of the atoms of an element.

Horrible marking scheme. I was 10marks from an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Area - Region
    Average mass of the isotopes of an element - average mass of the atoms of an element.

Ouch, that sucks :(

Mind me asking how you studied for it?

• Advertisement

Ouch, that sucks :(

Mind me asking how you studied for it?

Studied a chapter and then did all corresponding questions in the exam papers :)

Area - Region

Sadly, this has always been the problem with chemistry, they are damn specific about what they want, and tend to be ridiculous at times.

Case for the specific, Manganese and Iron, really should state they are (II) cos of oxidation states, but people would rarely think of this level of clarity in an exam..

Case for ridiculous, writing area as opposed to region and electron shell as opposed to octet, I mean come on benefit of the doubt surely!!

Case for the specific, Manganese and Iron, really should state they are (II) cos of oxidation states, but people would rarely think of this level of clarity in an exam..

Case for ridiculous, writing area as opposed to region and electron shell as opposed to octet, I mean come on benefit of the doubt surely!!

We were told to never bother with the "(II)" as we would get the marks anyway. Especially stupid since if I just wrote the chemical formula I would have the marks! (Dunno why I didn't just do that)

And the shell is really annoying me because they accepted it in a different question on the same paper! And area was accepted in previous years! Oh well.

We were told to never bother with the "(II)" as we would get the marks anyway. Especially stupid since if I just wrote the chemical formula I would have the marks! (Dunno why I didn't just do that)

And the shell is really annoying me because they accepted it in a different question on the same paper! And area was accepted in previous years! Oh well.

Oh Chemistry, I have never known a subject to be so amazing and infuriating at the same time!

You have my sympathy good sir/madam! Please tell me you didn't miss out on your 1st choice or anything cos of this?

Oh Chemistry, I have never known a subject to be so amazing and infuriating at the same time!

You have my sympathy good sir/madam! Please tell me you didn't miss out on your 1st choice or anything cos of this?

I didn't thank God! Because by some miracle I mustered up an A2 in Irish HL so I gained more marks than I lost! (I expected an A1 in Bio and Chem but got A2s in both so a loss in 20 points.)
    If I got my usual C1 in Irish then I'd probably be repeating.

I didn't thank God! Because by some miracle I mustered up an A2 in Irish HL so I gained more marks than I lost! (I expected an A1 in Bio and Chem but got A2s in both so a loss in 20 points.)
    If I got my usual C1 in Irish then I'd probably be repeating.

Well thats the most important thing! I can see why you would be annoyed/disappointed though, got an A2 in biology myself and was raging at the time, but you get over it. Good luck in whatever course you are going doing now anyways :D

My chemistry marker was a c**t she didnt read half of what i wrote for q 5 and just gave me 0 and randomly took 3 marks off for 2 calculations even though they were right the whole way through....wtf!!!!!!!! ughh1!!!

Area - Region

I was 6! damn it. I wrote manganous sulfate which, is most definitely Manganese(II)Sulfate, lost out because of ignorance. I don't need it for my course but the people who needed the points, God help them. The marking scheme is so infuriating...never mind! To Uni!!!

Well to be honest I had to even look up the formula myself from exam questions because my Ignorant teacher just decided that magnesium sulfate was sufficient. "oh they sound the same" is the attitude. Despite this however, I find myself completely captivated by it. Lucky.

My chemistry marker was a c**t she didnt read half of what i wrote for q 5 and just gave me 0 and randomly took 3 marks off for 2 calculations even though they were right the whole way through....wtf!!!!!!!! ughh1!!!
    It seems we are once again in agreement :P They were really lazy this year...

• Advertisement

I was 6! damn it. I wrote manganous sulfate which, is most definitely Manganese(II)Sulfate, lost out because of ignorance. I don't need it for my course but the people who needed the points, God help them. The marking scheme is so infuriating...never mind! To Uni!!!

You would think that in a subject that people find so difficult anyway that they would be throwing away marks! I just feel sorry for the people trying to scrape a pass if they've been borderline failing all the way through 5/6th year.
    Also, was anyone else's short questions marked really weirdly? Could swear that there is a good few marks there I could have gotten.
    Also this:
    Charles' Law: At constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its volume, measure on the Kelvin Scale
    was marked wrong

The volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, measured on the Kelvin scale.

You wrote volume twice there.

The volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, measured on the Kelvin scale.

You wrote volume twice there.

Sorry, mistype :P I meant temperature :o

Sorry, mistype :P I meant temperature :o

For a fixed mass of gas at constant pressure, volume is proportional to absolute temperature. :-)

lads just forget it. From what Ive seen the majority of ye here are chem prodigy's A1 or D1 ye're all amazing well done, we knew ourstuff just got screwed over by the marking scheme!

lads just forget it. From what Ive seen the majority of ye here are chem prodigy's A1 or D1 ye're all amazing well done, we knew ourstuff just got screwed over by the marking scheme!

Couldn't have said it better myself :-) you included! Bring on university! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

Couldn't have said it better myself :-) you included! Bring on university! :P

definately the marking scheme this year was weird, chemistry is not meant to "vary" in terms of definitions etc from year to year but it does, it brings the application of leaving cert as a fair exam into question when say five years ago back in the days of grade inflation a lot of peolpe on here would be getting a1s instead of a2s, it seems to me that the sec has decided that all the sciences are getting marked extra hard from now on and higher maths is to be marked easy...

Advertisement