Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

seannash wrote: »
    I think he is saying that when you turn your track down low can you still hear all the elements of the track or do you have to raise the volume to hear a certain element of it.
    Like if you turn it down low can you only really hear the kick and bass

Ah right, cheers. Everything seems fine when turned down low, sounds balanced but, the hi hats are maybe sounding a bit louder, but that's easily fixed with mixing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Ah right, cheers. Everything seems fine when turned down low, sounds balanced but, the hi hats are maybe sounding a bit louder, but that's easily fixed with mixing.

Did you compare it to other tracks?

Okay, I figured this out...and have learned something important.

And now I will give a confusing explanation.

Imagine if you were drawing a picture, but you can't see the size of the frame that the picture will be placed in. There is a reference object, which once you draw it, it will dictate the size of the frame; the frame size has a direct proportion to the size of the reference object. When you finish your picture, if everything else is correct proportion to your reference object, your picture will fit the frame and be properly composed. Otherwise, you have chop bits out, or your missing bits - your picture won't fit the frame.

Okay, that's still confusing, and you have to think about it. Imagine if the kick were your reference object in the sound frame - if every kick was exactly the same volume, which they're not, you could compose around a set kick, and the composition of the other elements would come out perfect each time. The thing is there isn't a reference object. What I'm saying is, I thought sound was two dimensional flat, when you magnified it, it would retain its' dimensions. It doesn't. It's more three dimensional....if you create a track, while listening at a specific volume, it will sound fine. But how it's composed relative to the frame - will be a factor in how it sounds at different volumes. (a factor in the scientific sense.....k to the power of e.....making it sound too low at one volume, but too loud at another).

I did a little experiment myself. I made 8 bars of Drum'n'bass. That's kick, snare, hi's...and a big D'n'B bass line. When I'd tried this in the past I'd use my kicks as reference for the loudness....then I'd struggle to fit the big bass around it. This time I lowered the volume, tweaked the kick and the hi's - by pulling back the volume on the kick, I got a punchier kick but lots of room for the big bass - tooing and froing (volume up and down), for the hi's worked very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

WasterEx wrote: »
    Hey lads! I've been listening to all sorts of different music for a while. Been coming up with some interesting stuff that I'm not particularly sure about. I put half of this track together in a few days, I'd like to know what you guys think of it. Bit Cirez D-ish, not intentional, just happened.

https://soundcloud.com/markcremin/reducer_wip

Thanks!! :)

I can see where you're trying to go with this but it's kinda hard to make an accurate judgment on what is essential an intro. Having said that I like most of the sounds except maybe the high synth that comes in after the drop. It's a bit reedy and the clap is a bit weak as well.
    However there's a good groove going on and I'd be interested to hear how the track develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

mordeith wrote: »
    I can see where you're trying to go with this but it's kinda hard to make an accurate judgment on what is essential an intro. Having said that I like most of the sounds except maybe the high synth that comes in after the drop. It's a bit reedy and the clap is a bit weak as well.
    However there's a good groove going on and I'd be interested to hear how the track develops.
    Yep me too.
    As an intro its quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

For those who are like me, I'm going to start forcing myself to produce songs within 7 days and post them up here. So it could be extra motivation if there's any like-minded people here, if we started postng new stuff every 7 days! Drive each other on and all that. Just an idea. (By posting this, hopefully it will force myself finish a song next week :) )

• Advertisement

paulo6891 wrote: »
    For those who are like me, I'm going to start forcing myself to produce songs within 7 days and post them up here. So it could be extra motivation if there's any like-minded people here, if we started postng new stuff every 7 days! Drive each other on and all that. Just an idea. (By posting this, hopefully it will force myself finish a song next week :) )

Good idea but I know there's no way I'd be able to hold myself to that.
    Good luck to those who dod take up the challenge though :)

Good idea but I know there's no way I'd be able to hold myself to that.

Well that's the challenge :) Two days in and I'm struggling... a house beat, an electro bassline and a trance lead. I should be more focussed!

I should be more focussed!

Isn't the purpose of the exercise to learn how to become more focused.

Now, the next step is pasting your loops into a four minute (or whatever length) track. And then hacking away at it to turn it into a track that has progression.

It is yeah, hence why I declared I'm struggling! I don't find 6-month tracks rewarding so want to change my ways. Next week I'll focus on a remix, as the point of this exercise is to improve my producing skills as opposed to my music skills which are hopefully already intact.

Another reason behind this is so that I attempt different genres of music that I otherwise wouldn't touch. I could do an uplifter easily within the given time frame, but I want a go at the slower stuff. Every week I'm going to pick a different producer and imitate his style. Never went through the imitation phase when learning production like one would with the guitar etc, so why not now :)

And no loops, I promise! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

New Geisha track just gone up:

https://soundcloud.com/geisha-1/the-religious-9th

I collaborated with another producer who calls himself "The Seed" (and is also the guitarist with Riot Tapes). He provided the backing part and I tweaked and edited it, and did the other instruments and little effects and noises. I think its pretty cool.

Its long and ambient and kind of nightmarish, but that's good sometimes! Its not for everyone, but if you've the patience to make it through it all, let me know what you think!

• Advertisement

New Geisha track just gone up:

https://soundcloud.com/geisha-1/the-religious-9th

I collaborated with another producer who calls himself "The Seed" (and is also the guitarist with Riot Tapes). He provided the backing part and I tweaked and edited it, and did the other instruments and little effects and noises. I think its pretty cool.

Its long and ambient and kind of nightmarish, but that's good sometimes! Its not for everyone, but if you've the patience to make it through it all, let me know what you think!

I was enjoying the first minute or so and liked the metallic sound that lent a nice gothic vibe to the piece but to be honest I couldn't listen to the whole thing all the way through (only got to 5 mins or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was enjoying the first minute or so and liked the metallic sound that lent a nice gothic vibe to the piece but to be honest I couldn't listen to the whole thing all the way through (only got to 5 mins or so).

Thanks for checking it out, and that's understandable. Its good if its on while you're doing something else. It does change about half way through but fair play to you for getting 5 mins in! :)

I'm declaring a fail this week. It was too much attempting to adhere to a 'strict' time frame while attempting to produce a genre that I have never tried before! Also, a lot of time was spent trying to create a good melody, so from next week onwards I will be focussing on remixes, that way I can focus more on the production side of things :) I know everyone was looking forward to it... ;)

I'm declaring a fail this week. It was too much attempting to adhere to a 'strict' time frame while attempting to produce a genre that I have never tried before! Also, a lot of time was spent trying to create a good melody,

It's not just setting a week as a deadline. It's managing your time throughout the week. You didn't break things down, and set a dead line for the melody. The objective is not to find the greatest melody, but to finish a track in a week. And the exercise is to make you better at producing tracks, so you may feel in the end that you could have done better, but what you've down is complete a track in a week. You can literally spend a horrific length of time trying to get a sound or trying to get something to work that you've heard, and just not getting it, only to realise at another time it was a very simple thing.

The whole idea is to get speed....so that when you do get a brilliant idea, you can bang it down into a reasonably complete track very quickly..

So, it's better you produce a bad track in a week than no track. The next one will be better. .....

Something newish I've been working on, housey acid with a slice of techno.
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/lung-butter

Had a listen on headphones earlier on. On the hi-fi now. The start is cool but the bongos have a very unatural groove to them I feel. A bit too stacatto I reckon. Not massively enamoured at the acid line. Just doesn't have enough edge to it.
    (My wife is standing behine me as I type and she digs it however :) she's dancing to it actually)
    I like the high, plucky sound though and the general percussion.

Had a listen on headphones earlier on. On the hi-fi now. The start is cool but the bongos have a very unatural groove to them I feel. A bit too stacatto I reckon. Not massively enamoured at the acid line. Just doesn't have enough edge to it.
    (My wife is standing behine me as I type and she digs it however :) she's dancing to it actually)
    I like the high, plucky sound though and the general percussion.

Hahaha brilliant :pac: The bongo groove did sound different when I started the track but it didn't stand out enough and kind of got lost in the mix, I didn't want them to sound too generic. I wanted them to sound a bit separated/detached. You'd probably like it better the way they originally were. It's not easy to find a decent 303 vst, it's always gonna sound worse than an actual roland 303 but that's about the best I could do with what I had. I probably just need to find a better 303 vst to mess about with.

It's not easy to find a decent 303 vst, it's always gonna sound worse than an actual roland 303 but that's about the best I could do with what I had. I probably just need to find a better 303 vst to mess about with.
    So true. I've started a couple of tracks with different 303 vsts and always ended up shelving em cos the sound just couldn't compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This is my latest track, been working on it around 3 months at this stage! Any feedback or opinions on it are much appreciated as always

https://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-shadows

DarkJager wrote: »
    This is my latest track, been working on it around 3 months at this stage! Any feedback or opinions on it are much appreciated as always

https://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-shadows

I really like that gritty clap.
    There is a nice clean feel to the mix.
    The choir like sequence after the drop is pretty cool coupled with the pitch bend strings. I think the bassline is perhaps a bit too rough sounding. Just a personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 randonio14

What do you guys think? I know 150bpm hardstyle isn't everybody's cup of tea but would love some feedback :P

soundcloud.com/brandonrileyofficial/hardwell-joe-dale-ft-luciana-arcadia-brandon-riley-bullok-remix-preview

randonio14 wrote: »
    What do you guys think? I know 150bpm hardstyle isn't everybody's cup of tea but would love some feedback :P

soundcloud.com/brandonrileyofficial/hardwell-joe-dale-ft-luciana-arcadia-brandon-riley-bullok-remix-preview

The arrangent is decent enough and the kick is good and hard (which is what you'd want :rolleyes:). There seems to be some kind of noise coming through though. Can't quite put my finger on it but maybe it's from the vocal? I'm guessing you extracted it yourself from the original and it's not a pure acapella?

randonio14 wrote: »

You could make the breakdown a lot longer. And let the synth line drop out somewhere in the middle (or wherever), keep building it, but enough time for people to forget the synth line, then up up up, cut (the quite bit with a vocal sample just before the impact ......actually I don't know what it's called......but the quite bit to make the impact sound louder, then in with your line again).... Everything else sounds fine. Did you get the pieces from a Hardwell remix competition?

The arrangent is decent enough and the kick is good and hard (which is what you'd want :rolleyes:). There seems to be some kind of noise coming through though. Can't quite put my finger on it but maybe it's from the vocal? I'm guessing you extracted it yourself from the original and it's not a pure acapella?

I guess it was the distortion from the lead. The vocal is straight from the hardwell remix pack :)

You could make the breakdown a lot longer. And let the synth line drop out somewhere in the middle (or wherever), keep building it, but enough time for people to forget the synth line, then up up up, cut (the quite bit with a vocal sample just before the impact ......actually I don't know what it's called......but the quite bit to make the impact sound louder, then in with your line again).... Everything else sounds fine. Did you get the pieces from a Hardwell remix competition?

I'll actually have that idea saved for the reverse bass part (the remix is nearly 7 minutes). And yeah i only took the vocal sample from the remix competition, done the rest with myself and the person i'm collaborating with :) thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

No offense intended, sound like its gonna burst into klingande at the start. I like it.

JG009 wrote: »
    No offense intended, sound like its gonna burst into klingande at the start. I like it.

What's Klingande?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Mellow acid house type thing I did a while ago: https://soundcloud.com/splitradix/splitradix-office-acid-three-point-one

splitrmx wrote: »
    Mellow acid house type thing I did a while ago: https://soundcloud.com/splitradix/splitradix-office-acid-three-point-one

Really nice track, enjoyed that. Only thing I didn't like was that I thought that you brought the snare in too early, I would of liked the melody to build up more then bring the snare in around 2.09.

• Advertisement

New one from myself. My first time remixing a hip hop track.
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/j-dilla-pausescoobz-remix

Advertisement