Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

lb1997 wrote: »
    Diggin the track but the artwork especially, did you make that yourself?

also I love the sorta breakdown at 2:10

Cheers:). No It's by a guy called "Jay Burns" you can check out the rest of his stuff here http://thisisnojay.tumblr.com/

A bass/tech/house thing I've been playing around with. https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/selective-futurepreview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

keithkk16 wrote: »

Yeah, much rounder feel to the track now. Like that bassline, has a Grimes feel to it. Sounds like you have a significant shuffle on the percussion which while it sounds a bit off sometimes, is actually quite interesting and plays well with the high synth line. Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

A new track I made using Sony Acid Pro 7.0...

https://soundcloud.com/tom-mcfadden-1/daily-drugs

Tomohawk wrote: »
    A new track I made using Sony Acid Pro 7.0...

https://soundcloud.com/tom-mcfadden-1/daily-drugs

Can't say the bassline does much for the track. It doesn't have any real body or presence. The reversed percussion is pretty cool although the reverb seems to draw it back too much in the mix. The 'David Byrne? vocal hit is a bit loud in the mix although the spoken word sample is implmented well.

(I'm not a fan of this genre so take my comments with a pinch of salt :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

well lads,
    Ive gotten some great content for a few tracks over the past week,
    I havent mixed or mastered any of them but im about to start.
    mixing is easy enough for me, just a bit daunting,
    but when It comes to mastering i practically skip it,
    I just use the individual track volume as my equalizer and thats about it (laziness and not really sure what im supposed to do.)
    now I want to properly master my tracks for the first time but on a basic level,
    heres what im thinking:
    after mixing and adjusting each track's volume ill put an 'EQ3' on every track,
    then Ill listen through , adjusting each tracks hi lo and mids via automation for any given moment,
    would this be ok for basic job or is there anything else needed for bare bones mastering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

well lads,
    I just use the individual track volume as my equalizer and thats about it (laziness and not really sure what im supposed to do.)
    now I want to properly master my tracks for the first time but on a basic level,
    heres what im thinking:
    then Ill listen through , adjusting each tracks hi lo and mids via automation for any given moment,
    would this be ok for basic job or is there anything else needed for bare bones mastering?
    Every track is different but in general you could use compression, reverb on some of the elements. You can go pretty far with just eqing though.
    Kinda hard to say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

well lads,
    heres what im thinking:

Start reading articles, watching videos and basically scouring the internet for the wealth of information out there about mastering. It's a bit of a black art, some people do it themselves, others get it sent off to a pro to do it for them, and others don't really master at all (thinking Leon Vynehall or Four Tet here). There's no 'definitive' answer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

Hi again.

Been trying to get to 50 posts over the last while.

Here's a link to my latest electronic musical piece.

Thanks for lending an ear.

http://soundcloud.com/paulthom8/the-rupture-minutes/s-badas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

.......and here's a link to a track that's a couple of weeks old. Not the final version however.

Again, thanks for listening.

http://soundcloud.com/paulthom8/retrigger-1/s-iToSU

Nothing in that link

paulthom8 wrote: »
    Hi again.

Been trying to get to 50 posts over the last while.

Here's a link to my latest electronic musical piece.

Thanks for lending an ear.

http://soundcloud.com/paulthom8/the-rupture-minutes/s-badas

I like the synths at the beginning of the track. There's some good and interesting modulation. I'm not massively into this genre but there's a nice vibe throughout the track as a whole although every now and then there seems be an odd discordant note in the synth that comes in at 1.36.
    Nice strings throughout as well. Personally I think the clap/snare sounds a bit 'big'

mordeith wrote: »
    Nothing in that link

Took it down, wasn't properly finished and now I hate it lol

Took it down, wasn't properly finished and now I hate it lol

:D I know that feeling. I'd be working on a track for a few days, really digging it. Then I'd listen back after a week or so and go 'what the hell is this ****?'

:D I know that feeling. I'd be working on a track for a few days, really digging it. Then I'd listen back after a week or so and go 'what the hell is this ****?'

Haha. That happens to me way too many times.

Here's something I made a while back but finished it now... well 90% finished :)
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/scoobz-micrimhilseogra

Haha. That happens to me way too many times.

Here's something I made a while back but finished it now... well 90% finished :)

Very complete feel to this track. I like how it sounds somehow disconnected from the listener. It's not in your face and yet it gets into your head. The hats have a nice loose sound which works well. Only think I'm no mad on personally is the synth that comes in at 1.10. I just feel the sounds of it doesn't quite match the laid back atmosphere of the rest of the track

Very complete feel to this track. I like how it sounds somehow disconnected from the listener. It's not in your face and yet it gets into your head. The hats have a nice loose sound which works well. Only think I'm no mad on personally is the synth that comes in at 1.10. I just feel the sounds of it doesn't quite match the laid back atmosphere of the rest of the track

That synth at 1.10, do you think it's just then when it comes in on it's own that you don't like? Or do you mean throughout the whole track?

The way it comes in on it's own annoyed me a little but, I changed it about a few time then left it the way it was eventually.

That synth at 1.10, do you think it's just then when it comes in on it's own that you don't like? Or do you mean throughout the whole track?

The way it comes in on it's own annoyed me a little but, I changed it about a few time then left it the way it was eventually.

Just the way it comes in I think cos towards the end of the track I didn't mind it at all but when it first hits I was kind of like 'hmmm, not sure about that'
    Maybe a simple slow volume or filter sweep might work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

There's only one thing wrong with the track. You made it too loud. Making something that loud without burning it is an achievement, but I think it causes other problems.

If you go on beatport, and play whatever, you can see the waveforms, and everyone appears to be leaving a lot of room. As if the loudness wars are over.

• Advertisement

There's only one thing wrong with the track. You made it too loud. Making something that loud without burning it is an achievement, but I think it causes other problems.

If you go on beatport, and play whatever, you can see the waveforms, and everyone appears to be leaving a lot of room. As if the loudness wars are over.

Really? I always compare my tracks to other tracks that I've bought and play them through itunes player, my tracks are never as loud as the real thing.

Ps i was just listening to this playlist on beatport and every track in there has a waveform that is pretty full on except for 2 tracks maybe
    http://www.beatport.com/charts/daniel-avery-autumn-2014/301935

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Hey lads! I've been listening to all sorts of different music for a while. Been coming up with some interesting stuff that I'm not particularly sure about. I put half of this track together in a few days, I'd like to know what you guys think of it. Bit Cirez D-ish, not intentional, just happened.

https://soundcloud.com/markcremin/reducer_wip

Thanks!! :)

Really? I always compare my tracks to other tracks that I've bought and play them through itunes player, my tracks are never as loud as the real thing.

Hmmm ....I'm not really sure what's happening hear. Any time I've clicked on your sound cloud links, I have to jump to turn the volume down on my computer, as it comes through really loud.

I have been listening to a lot of stuff on beatport recently, and I've noticed that they actually turn the sound down on stuff - Though I've noticed the stuff in the Top Ten Martin Garrix and all that, is baked to be as loud as possible. On stuff I've noticed they've seemed to have turned down the volume, is where there appears to be a gap between the peaks of the sound files, and the top of the window they display the track's sound file in.

About the track you've just made, I'm not sure what it is. I noticed you've used a kick without a sharp attack, at points it sounds like that bass line and kick are the result of removing the mid and hi from a drum and bass. That's fine, but that's the bit that sounds loudest to be, and bits of the bass line sound distorted.

Ps i was just listening to this playlist on beatport and every track in
    there has a waveform that is pretty full on except for 2 tracks maybe
    http://www.beatport.com/charts/daniel-avery-autumn-2014/301935

Well, you can keep banging at the waveform with a hard limiter until you just have blocks (which is something people do - like me) but the tracks on that list, they've all used compression but they've all left lots of space. And I've noticed on some, the kick is nowhere near peaking, and some of the stuff seems to be using hard limiting at different volumes for different elements.

Hmmm ....I'm not really sure what's happening hear. Any time I've clicked on your sound cloud links, I have to jump to turn the volume down on my computer, as it comes through really loud.

I have been listening to a lot of stuff on beatport recently, and I've noticed that they actually turn the sound down on stuff - Though I've noticed the stuff in the Top Ten Martin Garrix and all that, is baked to be as loud as possible. On stuff I've noticed they've seemed to have turned down the volume, is where there appears to be a gap between the peaks of the sound files, and the top of the window they display the track's sound file in.

About the track you've just made, I'm not sure what it is. I noticed you've used a kick without a sharp attack, at points it sounds like that bass line and kick are the result of removing the mid and hi from a drum and bass. That's fine, but that's the bit that sounds loudest to be, and bits of the bass line sound distorted.

Well, you can keep banging at the waveform with a hard limiter until you just have blocks (which is something people do - like me) but the tracks on that list, they've all used compression but they've all left lots of space. And I've noticed on some, the kick is nowhere near peaking, and some of the stuff seems to be using hard limiting at different volumes for different elements.

I'm not sure what's happening, maybe it's something on your side or maybe you don't listen to that type of music that much but, even when I bounce the track to cd to play on cdj's I always find myself having to turn my own tracks up more when mixing tracks together than say a well mixed/mastered track by a good house artist. The bass line is suppose to be slightly distorted. The track is also only a demo, it's not a finished product. I'm also not a big fan of tracks sounding too clean and polished, I like a bit of grit in tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

howdy folks. been a while. video for a track off our debut album...

I'm not sure what's happening, maybe it's something on your side or maybe you don't listen to that type of music that much but, even when I bounce the track to cd to play on cdj's I always find myself having to turn my own tracks up more when mixing tracks together than say a well mixed/mastered track by a good house artist.

Have you tried comparing your tracks, using a spectral analyser, to see what's different. I did have a sound editor that could do a 3d spectral analysis. Are you're tracks clipping on the meter when you turn them up to get the same volume?

There are tricks for making things sound louder, like gated reverb on snares and high hats. Or layering filtered loops of snares and hit-hats; because they're slightly different pitches they don't fight for exactly the same frequencies.
    The bass line is suppose to be slightly distorted. The track is also only a
    demo, it's not a finished product. I'm also not a big fan of tracks sounding too clean and polished, I like a bit of grit in tracks.

I wasn't sure if you wanted the bass deliberately distorted - I know what you mean about grit.

Have you tried comparing your tracks, using a spectral analyser, to see what's different. I did have a sound editor that could do a 3d spectral analysis. Are you're tracks clipping on the meter when you turn them up to get the same volume?

There are tricks for making things sound louder, like gated reverb on snares and high hats. Or layering filtered loops of snares and hit-hats; because they're slightly different pitches they don't fight for exactly the same frequencies.

I wasn't sure if you wanted the bass deliberately distorted - I know what you mean about grit.

They're not clipping until I go over the main level marker -0db but if I am really stuck for getting the levels up I'll use a limiter, but not too much as the more limiter you use the more the track starts to sound disconnected and doesn't sound right anymore. It starts to sound like a bad quality mp3.

I do master my tracks when I'm 100% happy with them on pro tools but, I haven't done that in a while though just out of laziness really. I'm not a big fan of pro tools for making electronic music but, it makes a big difference when mastering I think. The best way is to just experiment yourself really and find your own way of doing it, there's no right answer.

They're not clipping until I go over the main level marker -0db but if I am really stuck for getting the levels up I'll use a limiter, but not too much as the more limiter you use the more the track starts to sound disconnected and doesn't sound right anymore. It starts to sound like a bad quality mp3.

I've figured out what it was I was hearing in your track. Take your track, and another track for reference; something louder. Play them, one at a time obviously. Drop your volume slowly and listen to the order of what disappears, and what you can hear at the different levels.

I was getting confused, parts of your track are too quite, so I was turning it up to hear it, and then it sounded too loud. I really think it's a case of relative balance.

I've figured out what it was I was hearing in your track. Take your track, and another track for reference; something louder. Play them, one at a time obviously. Drop your volume slowly and listen to the order of what disappears, and what you can hear at the different levels.

I was getting confused, parts of your track are too quite, so I was turning it up to hear it, and then it sounded too loud. I really think it's a case of relative balance.

You've also got me confused now. What parts of the track are you talking about that disappear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You've also got me confused now. What parts of the track are you talking about that disappear?
    I think he is saying that when you turn your track down low can you still hear all the elements of the track or do you have to raise the volume to hear a certain element of it.
    Like if you turn it down low can you only really hear the kick and bass

Advertisement