Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

cabledude wrote: »
    http://www.beat102103.com/news-and-sport/experts-issue-warning-about-the-worst-winter-in-a-century

Worst winter in a century just around the corned. 'Experts' in the UK have said so.

WOOHOO!!! break out the .....the eh....hot chocolate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

cabledude wrote: »
    http://www.beat102103.com/news-and-sport/experts-issue-warning-about-the-worst-winter-in-a-century

Worst winter in a century just around the corned. 'Experts' in the UK have said so.

The "expert" is a clown with a private website that sells the exact same shyte story to the UK tabloids every single winter.

The "expert" is a clown with a private website that sells the exact same shyte story to the UK tabloids every single winter.

hey man, don't harsh my mellow

paulyshore.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,928 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UKMO brings closer the possibility of much colder conditions next week but probably temporarily. A transient ridge building toward Greenland gives just enough time and enough energy diving south to bring a low pressure col on to the continent facilitated by an amplified jet stream that sees cold air ejected from the Artic just about impacting us (or what passes for impacting us at this time of year).

This looks short lived but without jet stream data it's hard to call. It's entirely possible that the secondary LP to the west could dive south east with high pressure to our north resulting in an easterly or northeasterly. The ECM will shed more light later.

326690.GIF

UN144-21.GIF?29-05

The 00z GFS, whilst moving somewhat in this direction, is not so enthusiastic (yet).

What makes the above situation so good (or bad depending on perspective!) is that the core polar vortex (the deep purple colours) is firmly to the east of Greenland and Canada which is exactly what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

First day of frost for me. I missed these mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Met E going for much colder weather next week. Risk of wintry showers in the East. All aboard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

there's white stuff on the ground!

Frost...but still, it's white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Tee shirt weather last night - River Severn valley. Easily 15 degrees, which was good as I was working on some freshly poured concrete - last thing I wanted was frost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Met E going for much colder weather next week. Risk of wintry showers in the East. All aboard!

It started with a wintry shower....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Metmaster

The start of next week is looking cold with frosty nights and wintry showers hitting the east.Hopefully the start of a cold,frosty,snowy winter ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All abroad the hype train

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-weather-forecasters-predict-country-4529710

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

How long before the red-tops (or even the "respectable media") start putting out images such as

4996633083_5dddb95c7f.jpg

Tabnabs wrote: »
    How long before the red-tops (or even the "respectable media") start putting out images such as

4996633083_5dddb95c7f.jpg

That'll be the Military Road in a couple of weeks time!

Rikand wrote: »
    That'll be the Military Road in a couple of weeks time!

No it won't, there's no equipment in the country that could sweep/shovel that.
    It'll just be eejits in X5's and Range Rover sports up there getting stuck and the mountain rescue lads giving out to them :D

Significant upgrade on the 12z GFS for coldies for the start of next week. And with a cold northerly coming over seasonally warm seas showers would be widespread too so we could well see some early sleet and snow showers. But let's not count our chickens just yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Which is the best site for the charts that people tend to post here regularly and the 12 GFS that was mentioned above by Kermit?

Which is the best site for the charts that people tend to post here regularly and the 12 gfz that was mentioned above?

I prefer Meteociel mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

At the bottom of the Exacta home page you’ll read about their exploits; how in their opinion they got it correct several months in advance. These are bordering on paranoid rants to justify their existence. The majority of the time they got it wrong. Why do they do this? Well there’s no surprise is there, commercial reason i.e. money and then there’s ego, in making a name for themselves.

http://www.thefrontpoint.com/2013/12/fantasy-weather-forecast-dont-believe_30.html

Which is the best site for the charts that people tend to post here regularly and the 12 GFS that was mentioned above by Kermit?

WZ is good. Try here. Timeline and different variables at the top.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn14417.gif

Next run updates circa 21:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Please, lets not give these clowns even an acknowledgement this year. The tabloids will do what they do best and people will talk about it on coffee breaks and buses. Lets just get on with letting our own pro/ams and reporters from around the Country do what they do best.

• Advertisement

Looking at the UKMO at 144, that could be blizzard conditions for parts of Scotland and even high ground in NI then later.

That would be a short, sharp shock to the system for early November! :pac:

144 hours though so....likely to change.

U144-21UK.GIF?29-17

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

wexie wrote: »
    No it won't, there's no equipment in the country that could sweep/shovel that.
    It'll just be eejits in X5's and Range Rover sports up there getting stuck and the mountain rescue lads giving out to them :D
    I like to think I could try (Irish snowblower on youtube)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

The latest GFS charts that are rolling in are also going with a very similar scenario with what looks like some sort of polar low moving in a N - S direction right through the country. It's a very perfect set-up and is highly unlikely to pan out exactly that way but never say never!!!

Geez, what'dya get that for? You're probably better equipped than most county councils?!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

wexie wrote: »
    Geez, what'dya get that for? You're probably better equipped than most county councils?!

A moment of madness If it ever snows I will but up a better video of it actually working

A moment of madness If it ever snows I will but up a better video of it actually working

I would be delighted if you got lots of use out of it this winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

igf9fm.jpg

Niceeeeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

But let's not count our chickens just yet :D

I disapprove of this remark, that's just not how things are done around here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Coooooooooooooool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

14110412_2912.gif

Snow is a coming

highdef wrote: »
    .............with a very similar scenario with what looks like some sort of polar low moving in a N - S direction right through the country........... !!

:-O!!

ECM is ok, this folds quickly enough but it is about trends and we can work with this

Recm1681.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Lucreto wrote:
    Once it melts gets cold again and more snow.

Actually that is what happened when I lived in Korea. Sticks for 3days, melts a bit and snows a bit again a few days later. Similar to their summer of 3 rainy days and 4 sunny clear days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

gugsy wrote: »
    14110412_2912.gif

Snow is could be coming

Fixed that for ya :P

ECM says no folks , and we all no which is , for now anyways , the more reliable one.

Will be an interesting few days of model watching none the less :)

^^^^^^^ its the excited part me thinking it will come and the head knowing it prob wont.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that situation would produce little or nothing for us in Leinster, bit early in the season anyway for something decent. We have potentially mid November-early March all to play for and then ninja snow chances all the way to end of April

Gonzo wrote: »
    that situation would produce little or nothing for us in Leinster, bit early in the season anyway for something decent. We have potentially mid November-early March all to play for and then ninja snow chances all the way to end of April

Doesn't look too bad for Leinster ;)

150-574PUK.GIF?29-12

What the CFS was showing back on the 9th ....

324585.png

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Rikand wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad for Leinster ;)

150-574PUK.GIF?29-12

Do my eyes deceive me? Snow for CORK?! :D

giphy.gif

From met.ie: "Early indications suggest that Wednesday is likely to be cool and mostly dry, but mild and unsettled weather will return after midweek"

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

leahyl wrote: »
    From met.ie: "Early indications suggest that Wednesday is likely to be cool and mostly dry, but mild and unsettled weather will return after midweek"

:(:(

Yep, must have been the Eagle preparing yesterdays teaser forecast and Gerry Murphy on today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Its cold up North

Same rehashed story. Exacta sensationalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Same rehashed story. Exacta sensationalism.

Unlike this thread which is iced into cold hard facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Unlike this thread which is iced into cold hard facts?

This thread has opinions and analysis

Exacta "forecasts" only contain sensationalism to make money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Well I must say that I am impressed by snow cover over Eurasia. 2014 falls into the top three years snow cover wise (as well as 2009, 1976). Last year also saw good snow cover, however this was offset by a large melt around this period. Hopefully we will see some Siberian high action later on in the season. For those that don't know, high snow cover over Siberia during October is linked to a higher likely hood of Arctic blocking during the winter season.

There is currenty a fight between a high over the Azores and the lows coming from Greenland on the model after the 6th nov. Who'll win out?

Just imagine this was the forecast for tonight

rtemap.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just imagine this was the forecast for tonight

rtemap.png

That should be framed and hung on the boards wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone know the date of that forecast?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement