Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP 260 G1 Mini PC €137

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

zom wrote: »
    If that's the same yoke as HP EliteDesk 800 G1, it seems quite upgradeable with CPU:

http://pc.zol.com.cn/492/4920204_all.html

Cg-4V1Rx8OSIYxaJAB-GB8qHzMIAARt9QHu9R0AH4Yf972.jpg

Its the same case, but sadly not, the celeron 2957u is a laptop cheap really, and only comes in a form that is soldered straight onto the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

HP do offer this with an i3 proc, a 500GB standard HD and 2GB extra RAM for a suggested ( ie."SRP Only") €707

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

imitation wrote: »
    Its the same case, but sadly not, the celeron 2957u is a laptop cheap really, and only comes in a form that is soldered straight onto the motherboard.

Can the ssd be upgraded in the g260?
    Can't find answer on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

so is it worth buying guys.im in the market for a good pc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Depends what you want it for - as a media centre it looks great to me, and should be ok for browsing / word processing etc.

I see the eBuyer UK price has gone up to 120 now (was 99)

• Advertisement

Depends what you want it for - as a media centre it looks great to me, and should be ok for browsing / word processing etc.

I see the eBuyer UK price has gone up to 120 now (was 99)
    ya just for browing and installling a few programmes that i ocasionally use

ya just for browing and installling a few programmes that i ocasionally use
    It should do the job - I ordered an extra 4GB ram for mine. Remember that you need a screen, speakers. It is not clear that there is a keyboard & mouse included, and there appears to be no WiFi on this model.

It should do the job - I ordered an extra 4GB ram for mine. Remember that you need a screen, speakers. It is not clear that there is a keyboard & mouse included, and there appears to be no WiFi on this model.
    i have all the keyboard and mouse etc and i have one of those homeplugs and usb wifi things

rtron wrote: »
    Can the ssd be upgraded in the g260?
    Can't find answer on Google.

Hardware Reference Guide pgs. 11-14

styron wrote: »
    Hardware Reference Guide pgs. 11-14
    so is it worth it

• Advertisement

so is it worth it

I'd add the 4GB memory as a priority first. The 32GB SSD might be adequate for the time being if you already use usb external or flash drive storage and the likes of CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner to cut down on bloat of windows updates, browsing etc.

The beauty of any new SSD is that it will probably outlive the machine you put it in and well into the life of the next, so you extract value from it as an upgrade particularly if it replaces a mechanical drive. I'd wait and see in this instance given it's an SSD albeit 32GB and how varied or heavy a use the system is put to (eg. dedicated media player v's multitasking).

styron wrote: »
    I'd add the 4GB memory as a priority first. The 32GB SSD might be adequate for the time being if you already use usb external or flash drive storage and the likes of CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner to cut down on bloat of windows updates, browsing etc.

The beauty of any new SSD is that it will probably outlive the machine you put it in and well into the life of the next, so you extract value from it as an upgrade particularly if it replaces a mechanical drive. I'd wait and see given this is a SSD albeit 32GB.
    ok thanks for info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Have one ordered. This looks great compared to similar arm processors (ras pi etc). Only thing i am trying to figure out is it possible to add a second hard drive 2.5" I know the case doesn't support that but i could modify it. From the specs i found online it doesn't mention a second sata so I am thinking I could use the PCIe mini slot (if it has it (remove wi-fi)) to install a another sata connection.

Have one ordered. This looks great compared to similar arm processors (ras pi etc). Only thing i am trying to figure out is it possible to add a second hard drive 2.5" I know the case doesn't support that but i could modify it. From the specs i found online it doesn't mention a second sata so I am thinking I could use the PCIe mini slot (if it has it (remove wi-fi)) to install a another sata connection.

I think you can add a second HDD but you need a special cable with an all in one power + SATA, I think the SSD is a msata with its own port.

The part number for the cable (from hkud) is 805299-001 I'm going to have a look first though when it arrives, just in case there is a generic ebay alternative..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Thread on the Kodi forum which may be of assistance to anyone looking to use this as a HTPC.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

(if it has it (remove wi-fi))

I like brackets order in your comment. Engineer?

^ programmer lingo. Anyways mine arrived today overall very impressed with it. It comes with a keyboard,mouse,stand,laptop type power supply. Its very quiet and checking the cpu and motherboard temps they stay under 30 degrees Celsius witch is impressive for a small case design. The case itself is very light like an old cdrom drive type weight. you need to order 2 things for this to get the most out of it.
    First more ram I tried a few types from old laptops but no luck so your better off ordering some e.g. http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-4gb-ddr3-1600-mt-s--pc3-12800--8PQF.html
    Second you might need more space the hard drive is solid state but is only 21 gb and with win 8 installed leaves 17gb free. There is space for a 2.5" laptop hard drive so you could ad something like a 1TB laptop drive. The only catch is you need to order a special cable from hp (worked out at 16 euro for me from hp website) also you need special screws for the mounting of the hard-drive.
    It has no wi-fi so Ethernet works fine for me. It has a spare pcie-mini if you need to hook up some custom hardware.
    I did some basic testing like web brosing,youtube,vlc player and everything worked fine.
    impressions overall great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I've just ordered mine, look good for the money, Thanks OP.

I ordered an external wifi adapter for any times I move it to a room where I don't have ethernet wired, but think this will be quite rare - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141105897514

What are people thinking of adding an internal hdd / ssd? I store very little in terms of media, would just want to install office and chrome, little else. Is it necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

I wonder if it would be worth waiting for this. It looks fantastic.

Lenovo ideacentre stick

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Thanks Moonlighting, I am thinking of getting this to use as a Plex media server, don't want to have to turn on a NAS or additional device as well. So would like to add a second 1 or 2TB 2.5 hdd as you mentioned. I read on HUKD that this can be tricky and you need special screws etc. to stop it vibrating..?
    Anyway if I buy this special sata cable and have a hdd is it straightforward to install?

Thanks

I got mine as well on Tuesday, great little machine, boots in no time and is very responsive. Only thing I can add on the above is, I tried out WoW for 20 min as gaming is often the downfall of these machines. I was getting between 20-40 fps on low settings at 1080p. Not ideal but playable, probably means you can play most of the blizzard catalog, minecraft, league of legends etc on low settings, handy spare for a lan.

Temperature never went above 55c, so its a good sign cooling wise, people have reported the pipo boxes at a scalding 90c.

Beagslife wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be worth waiting for this. It looks fantastic.

Lenovo ideacentre stick

MC

You can get one right now in the form of an intel compute stick or meegopad t02, problem is they have heat issues due to there size, maybe lenovo can crack it, but Id be doubtful. The G1 cpu is also 2x as fast as a baytrail.

Yes you do need special screws and sata connection for the 2.5" hd. I have a garage full of computer parts so hope them screws turn up i tried ordering them from hp but they didn't have any in stock. If you need to ad more hds like a third or forth hd you would have to modify the case (Take lid off) and use the pcie-mini adapter for more satas assuming the motherboard can power em.
    the case itself is very easy to work with and only has 3 screws to open it up.
    I left it running overnight with 100% cpu usage and the the temps stayed under 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I think the Matricom G-Box Q at £80 via Parcel Motel & Amazon is better value for a Kodi box, if that's what you're after.

Less messing around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Mine arrived this afternoon,
    I have it set up and i'm very happy with it so far.
    I mainly want to use it for downloading and media hub/server type thing.
    first impressions are it's well worth the money.

Anyone using a remote control with this?

I've a Logitech K400 but wouldn't mind also something smaller to pause a film from the sofa, flick through Kodi menus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Bought this. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I use my android phone to control XBMC. Using the app Yatse, its excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone using a remote control with this?

I've a Logitech K400 but wouldn't mind also something smaller to pause a film from the sofa, flick through Kodi menus etc.
    If you read the last few pages of the thread on the Kodi forum that I posted the link to at the top of the previous page there is a discussion of various suitable remotes and IR receivers to use and the bios settings you need to be able to power on PC using just the remote.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement