Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP 260 G1 Mini PC €137

Options
  • 18-06-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

As there was huge interest earlier in the year for the Pipo Mini PC's I said I would post this interesting PC bargain that has come up. Its the HP 260 G1, its a little enterprise Mini PC that has been around for a while, but its dropped to €137 recently. Its got a number of advantages over the Pipo as far as I can see.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/hp-260-g1--desktop-mini-pc-intel-celeron-2957u-2gb-32gb-ssd-windows-8-1-with-bing-64-bit-BC7Y.html?src=15

Pros

Has Haswell Graphics and CPU (about 30-40% faster than Bay Trail Atom PC's)
    Has a spare ram slot so you can bring it above the bare minimum 2gb
    Has a Hard drive slot and SATA port so you can stick in a disk
    Its a proper machine from a proper vendor, with support, a power supply that won't burn your house down and vendor you can return to easily.
    Has a fan and decent heatsink, no modding required if you don't want it running at 90 Deg C like the Pipo x7.
    Has gigabit Ethernet and loads of usb 3 ports, VGA.
    Comes with a keyboard and mouse.

Cons
    It doesn't come with Wifi/Bluetooth, can be added easily with usb or PCI-E
    Its 30-40% bigger than the pipo.
    No HDMI out (but you can sort that with a Displayport HDMI adapter for a tenner)
    CPU is dual core (but still beats quad core bay trails without issue)

I'm getting it as a TV box, but its got enough power to run office and browse the web as well, so it would be an ideal second machine. I know there are tempting little stick PC machines on the Chinese sellers and the Intel compute stick, but I think for a little extra you can get something that can be upgraded into a solid little machine. I have got a stick of 4gb ram with it and have a spare hdd here I will throw into it. (I maybe biased by the fact I got a DOA Pipo and have to ship the dang thing back now !). There is also the HP stream mini in the US which is $170 and has similar specs in a smaller package, so that might be coming along soon, but to be honest I doubt it will be cheaper than this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Looks really interesting, I was going to try build a HTPC but just don't have the time/experience.
    So is this a viable alternative?

No HDMI out - you mention adding a display port adapter - any quality loss with this? Does it go on the VGA out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm tempted as well, my dell laptop died recently and I have a spare monitor lying around, and I could use the hard drive from the dead laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

They're always saying on hukd that these low cost Windows PCs can be used to run Plex/Kodi (XBMC)
    Surely they'd be underpowered for transcoding? Or are people just using them as clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Why why why do I use this forum???? No need for this but it is on its way to me anyway

What are people going to use to control this if connecting it to the TV? Was thinking of adding a Logitech K400?

Can anyone link to a good extra 4gb ram to add please?

I will use it as a media player for Kodi and also as a back up for browsing, office etc. when I don't take my laptop home. I use a Mac so it is handy to have a Windows PC for the few things that still won't work on Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Is it possible to add a normal 3.5 hdd for media to sit alongside the ssd for the OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The Displayport to HDMI adapater is pretty much a digital pass through, no quality loss, and it sends audio as well. Vga is just another option.

Ram wise it takes DDR3L SODIMMS, thats effectively laptop ram, so you might be able to scavange some from a dead laptop

I ordered this particular one, its the correct size, voltage and speed.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-4gb-ddr3-1600-mt-s--pc3-12800--8PQF.html?q=ddr3l&src=16

I don't know about the trans coding, on one had its got quick sync and a haswell GPU, on the other hand its a dual core celeron - I imagine you'd probably want an i3 or something really to get the most out of it.

From what I can see it does have WiFi too? I would hard wire it for streaming, but the WiFi would be handy for someone just using a mini PC in a bedroom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Been looking in vain for a decent but cheap mini PC solely for running Sky Go through the TV. With the HDMI adapter added, is this the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

imitation wrote: »
    No HDMI out (but you can sort that with a Displayport HDMI adapter for a tenner)

Where's the best place to get these adapters? Can't seem to find one for less than €20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Quick specs are interesting, wonder would it run linux for XBMC etc

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04531792

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Where's the best place to get these adapters? Can't seem to find one for less than €20.

€9 With a month or so wait:
    http://www.tmart.com/Displayport-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter_p125701.html

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

The HP brand is putting me off, but would this be a good pc for streaming off the internet/using through the TV?

Is that the idea?

(OK I just noticed its HP and DABS.ie, thats 2 reasons putting me off...but the price...hmmm...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

styron wrote: »
    €10 on ebay!!

Ebay is your only man for this sort of stuff. Probably best place for the wifi dongle if you need it as well.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdisplay+port+to+hdmi.TRS0&_nkw=display+port+to+hdmi&_sacat=0

I'm 99.99% certain it doesn't come with wifi, mainly because people on hkud have pointed this out, but also if you look at the quick specs you'll see it can only be added through the PCI-E slot, which is listed as free by dabs.

Here's a comparison between this and the CPU on the netbook that I'm currently using with 2GB RAM, Win7 (a very frustrating experience)

Is the 2957U on this one "night and day" better ?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celeron-2957U-vs-Intel-Atom-N455

Great value but looks as if they're clearing stock for a new compact model (same proc, SSD & RAM, less USB) with HDMI, wireless, bluetooth, keyboard and mouse: currently $180 HP US. (Specs)

long_b wrote: »
    Here's a comparison between this and the CPU on the netbook that I'm currently using with 2GB RAM, Win7 (a very frustrating experience)

Is the 2957U on this one "night and day" better ?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celeron-2957U-vs-Intel-Atom-N455

Yes, I actually own a laptop with a Celeron 1017U, more less the same as the 2957, its perfect compared to any atom I have ever used, its just fine for video playback and general browsing. The intel integrated graphics now is actually enough to play Blizzard games at low settings too. I would advise getting another 2gb of Ram though, you really just need it these days.

This versus the HP Micro Server as a joke server so?
    You'd have to use external HDDs with this instead of internal disks.
    This does have audio out and better graphics out of the box though. Plus it comes with Windows installed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The only difference I can see between the machine you link to and the machine in the OP is the HDMI port, keyboard and mouse. Otherwise looks like pretty much the exact same machine ... Am I missing something?

Fewer USB ports (4xUSB3 + 2 USB2 vs 4xUSB3)
    Bluetooth and wifi built in

This post has been deleted.

As mentioned the built in wireless & bluetooth with a keyboard and mouse supplied (and a built in card reader) but otherwise it's just the jazzier smaller (fanless) form factor with the same proc, SSD and memory. You can run dual monitors too (HDMI & Displayport) but ventilation poorer as you'd expect.

darlenmol wrote: »

Dunno, share the OP's suspicion as to heat dissipation with all small boxes like this - that lifespan is traded off for size reduction (doesn't stop my hypnotic purchase of multiple android quad core boxes). At least the HP260 has a laptop fan and old school airflow!

darlenmol wrote: »

I'm a big fan of the gadget websites, but from now on I'm not paying more than 50 quid for anything. I'm kicking myself hard right now after buying from geekbuying, firstly the exchange rate is lousy right now so I paid almost parity for a Pipo x7 at . Then I had to pay duty and vat on the import, another 40 quid.

I was expecting that, but then what I ordered arrive and it was a dud, so now I have ship it back for another 30 quid, and hope they honour paying back the postage and refunding the item, at least then I will only be down the duty paid. Worst case is they don't refund and I have to do a paypal dispute and still be down the postage and duty.

Even if it does work, I want to leave it on all day unattended, and I just can't trust a j-random chinese box with effectively no heatsink and non-ce AC adapter. (Also being able to upgrade from 2gb ram > 10% higher CPU benchmark)

In Depth review of the next gen of this device.
    Should answer some questions as I'm guessing most of it will apply to the older model too

Watch "HP Stream Mini PC - $179 Windows PC In Depth" on YouTube
    HP Stream Mini PC - $179 Windows PC In Depth: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCZHp4d1HnIuPuursxPPks3GVf2KvNyfY

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Does anyone know if this would come from dabs, with the correct plug type for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

What are people going to use to control this if connecting it to the TV? Was thinking of adding a Logitech K400?

Can anyone link to a good extra 4gb ram to add please?

I will use it as a media player for Kodi and also as a back up for browsing, office etc. when I don't take my laptop home. I use a Mac so it is handy to have a Windows PC for the few things that still won't work on Mac

I am using Pulse-Eight CEC adapter with my HTPC. No need for extra remotes.

p4xel wrote: »
    I am using Pulse-Eight CEC adapter with my HTPC. No need for extra remotes.

If you have an android phone you can use this, works well.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/intel-turns-your-android-phone-into-a-keyboard-for-your-windows-pc-1297352

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Advertisement