Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"IF" a United Ireland did happen...(Mod warning in OP, stay on topic!))

Options
  • 14-08-2014 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Does Republican Sinn Fiens strategy of a federal Ireland with four different parliaments not seem more fair to Unionist instead of being out breathed by Catholics (assuming for arguments sake Catholics want a UI) and being shoved into one & being ruled from Dublin?

Mod warning:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93924363&postcount=464

How this thread has ended up as another "who started it" one, I don't know, but that isn't the subject matter. The subject is the future and the possibility of a United Ireland, not repeating the same arguments about who started the Troubles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Does Republican Sinn Fiens strategy of a federal Ireland with four different parliaments not seem more fair to Unionist instead of being out breathed by Catholics (assuming for arguments sake Catholics want a UI) and being shoved into one & being ruled from Dublin?
    It seems protestants are being out bred by catholics any way.

Don't make the mistake of protestant = unionist, catholic = nationalist though, that isn't as largely true as it once was. Many catholics seem to be turing their back on the idea of a UI, moreso than protestants turning their back on unionism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It seems protestants are being out bred by catholics any way.

Don't make the mistake of protestant = unionist, catholic = nationalist though, that isn't as largely true as it once was. Many catholics seem to be turing their back on the idea of a UI, moreso than protestants turning their back on unionism.

i kniw that but just for arguments sake say Catholic did = nationalist or even if the UK just decided to piss off out of the place again for arguments sake.. Which deal do you think unionist would prefer RSF federal idea or the Provos being ruled from Dublin idea.

I remember Ruari O'braidgh was having secret discussions with UVF & UDA leaders during the 75 ceasefire when the federal Ireland idea was Provo policy in the mid 70's & they said they'd rather take that deal than the Dublin government one, these discussions were going well until that excuse for a human being Conor C O'Brien blew the whistle on the discussion & we had 20 more years of bloodshed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

i kniw that but just for arguments sake say Catholic did = nationalist or even if the UK just decided to piss off out of the place again for arguments sake.. Which deal do you think unionist would prefer RSF federal idea or the Provos being ruled from Dublin idea.

I remember Ruari O'braidgh was having secret discussions with UVF & UDA leaders during the 75 ceasefire when the federal Ireland idea was Provo policy in the mid 70's & they said they'd rather take that deal than the Dublin government one, these discussions were going well until that excuse for a human being Conor C O'Brien blew the whistle on the discussion & we had 20 more years of bloodshed
    For arguments sake, I don't speak for unionists but I would imagine they would prefer NI to be an autonomous region with it's current borders within a united Ireland. Similar to Scotland in the UK or Quebec in Canada.

For arguments sake, I don't speak for unionists but I would imagine they would prefer NI to be an autonomous region with it's current borders within a united Ireland. Similar to Scotland in the UK or Quebec in Canada.

Glad you agree.. I think unionists would prefer that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

No, if there was a united Ireland Northern Ireland, Stormont & power sharing would remain, it would just fall under Irish instead of UK jurisdiction

There's no logic to eire nua whatsoever. It was just disingenuously put forward as an idea to look like an effort was being made to accommodate unionists without appearing to adhere to British influence

Which is actually quite ironic considering the formalisation of the four provinces as we know them was a British thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

The capital of Ulster was to be Dungannon or something, hardly a realistic strategy.

No, if there was a united Ireland Northern Ireland, Stormont & power sharing would remain, it would just fall under Irish instead of UK jurisdiction

There's no logic to eire nua whatsoever. It was just disingenuously put forward as an idea to look like an effort was being made to accommodate unionists without appearing to adhere to British influence

Which is actually quite ironic considering the formalisation of the four provinces as we know them was a British thing..

It says that in the GFA?

So basically yes, they would rather the RSF idea just needs to be tweaked in a few places to satisfy everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Good post.
    What Republicans used to post, 50% plus one was always utter bollocks.

Say if the population was 50-50 on a religious breakdown, lets estimate the way they would vote.

96% of Protestants would vote to stay in the U.K. so that makes 48% for the U.K.

50% of Catholics vote to remain part of the U.K. then that's 25% of the vote.

Add them to-gether and that makes 73% for the U.K.

I can never see a U.I.,and most certainly not in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

getzls wrote: »
    Good post.
    What Republicans used to post, 50% plus one was always utter bollocks.

Say if the population was 50-50 on a religious breakdown, lets estimate the way they would vote.

96% of Protestants would vote to stay in the U.K. so that makes 48% for the U.K.

50% of Catholics vote to remain part of the U.K. then that's 25% of the vote.

Add them to-gether and that makes 73% for the U.K.

I can never see a U.I.,and most certainly not in my lifetime.

You're agreement makes no sense. As you should know its not just Northern Ireland who vote on and UI but all of Ireland. I personally feel a UI Ireland is coming and soon

argument **

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

You're agreement makes no sense. As you should know its not just Northern Ireland who vote on and UI but all of Ireland. I personally feel a UI Ireland is coming and soon

The vote in the Republic is only relevant if northern Ireland votes yes to a united Ireland

junder wrote: »
    The vote in the Republic is only relevant if northern Ireland votes yes to a united Ireland

It's the whole of Ireland that votes on it regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's the whole of Ireland that votes on it regardless

No, it's the decision of the people of N.I., first and foremost. If they decided to go for a UI then we would have to decide on whether we, the RoI, wanted it. Otherwise, you could have the absurd idea of a UI being forced on the people of N.I. against he wishes of the majority, across all communities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 icecold1066

Everyone with a brain accepts the principle of democratic consent.
    NI will only be part of an UI with the consent of the majority of the population of NI.
    Then of course the people of the Republic of Ireland would have to have their say if they want NI to be part of an UI.

I do know this. ;)

Both Northern Ireland and the Republic have to agree. The Republic gets a vote also, if necessary.

Which of course will likely never happen.:)

Okay say if the Scottish vote goes 51 - 49% in favor of independence the whole of Scotland gets independence or do places with large Unionist majorities remain in the UK like here in 1921?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Okay say if the Scottish vote goes 51 - 49% in favor of independence the whole of Scotland gets independence or do places with large Unionist majorities remain in the UK like here in 1921?

Comparing the campaign for independence in Scotland, to what went on in Ireland almost 100 years ago, makes absolutely no sense. The 'No' side is comfortably ahead anyway, by as much as 10% according to some polls, so it'll be a clear win for the 'No' side.

Berserker wrote: »
    Comparing the campaign for independence in Scotland, to what went on in Ireland almost 100 years ago, makes absolutely no sense. The 'No' side is comfortably ahead anyway, by as much as 10% according to some polls, so it'll be a clear win for the 'No' side.

I'm not comparing it to what went on 100 years ago here, I don't need to go back 100 years we still have the same situation here today.

Still doesn't answer my question tho. Will Scotland be partitioned if it goes yes by a slight majority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Everyone with a brain accepts the principle of democratic consent.
    NI will only be part of an UI with the consent of the majority of the population of NI.
    Then of course the people of the Republic of Ireland would have to have their say if they want NI to be part of an UI.

I don't accept its as a principle no more than I would accept the principle of democratic consent for Eastern Ukraine, or for a partioned Scotland. Anyone with a brain accepts the idea of partitioning Ireland on sectarian grounds was utterly wrong. It has to be accepted rather as a political reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

T runner wrote: »
    I don't accept its as a principle no more than I would accept the principle of democratic consent for Eastern Ukraine, or for a partioned Scotland. Anyone with a brain accepts the idea of partitioning Ireland on sectarian grounds was utterly wrong. It has to be accepted rather as a political reality.

So if you dont accept the principal of democratic consent as laid out in the gfa, what is your ( realistic) alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

Berserker wrote: »
    No, it's the decision of the people of N.I., first and foremost. If they decided to go for a UI then we would have to decide on whether we, the RoI, wanted it. Otherwise, you could have the absurd idea of a UI being forced on the people of N.I. against he wishes of the majority, across all communities.

Kind of how partion was forced onto the people of Ireland after the 1918 general election in Ireland by the British despite the vast majority of the country voting for independance.

Or why were Fermanagh and Tyrone ever forced under Stormont rule when a majority of both counties were also in favour of being with Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

The 32 County's should have a say in any referendum for a 32 Republic ultimately it's there land governed by the British.

The 32 County's should have a say in any referendum for a 32 Republic ultimately it's there land governed by the British.
    No it's not.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Daft. I suppose that England should also be voting on Scottish independence this week, with a majority deciding, then?

Were there to be a referendum on a UI it would almost certainly be akin to the vote over Cyprian reunification - both sides having separate referendum and if both passed, then so would the initiative. And as it turned out one didn't.

Thing is too, that I would not be so certain that it would pass in the South either. The economic costs involved would likely cause many a southern armchair nationalist reconsider the issue, when it finally came to the moment of truth. It's easy to support unification and be a 'patriot' when it's the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

getzls wrote: »
    No it's not.:cool:

It is their land. It's Irish land that is occupied/governed by a foreign country/kingdom. Nothing will change that fact.

walshb wrote: »
    It is their land. It's Irish land that is occupied/governed by a foreign country/kingdom. Nothing will change that fact.
    Tell you what, let's all go up to Tara and take turns stepping on Lia Fáil. If the stone shouts out someones name when they do, then we will have someone with a legitimate claim to calling it their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tell you what, let's all go up to Tara and take turns stepping on Lia Fáil. If the stone shouts out someones name when they do, then we will have someone with a legitimate claim to calling it their land.

Wha?

walshb wrote: »
    Wha?
    Surely an expert like you on Ireland would know what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Daft. I suppose that England should also be voting on Scottish independence this week, with a majority deciding, then?

Were there to be a referendum on a UI it would almost certainly be akin to the vote over Cyprian reunification - both sides having separate referendum and if both passed, then so would the initiative. And as it turned out one didn't.

Thing is too, that I would not be so certain that it would pass in the South either. The economic costs involved would likely cause many a southern armchair nationalist reconsider the issue, when it finally came to the moment of truth. It's easy to support unification and be a 'patriot' when it's the long finger.

Scotland entered into a personal and political union with England. Don't think Ireland did this. As long as There is British occupation in the north it will breath resistance. It's unfair to say the 32 county's shouldn't have a say when
    The only reason unionists are in the north is because of English and Scottish Protestants through plantation. Open to correction

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement