Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The victims of Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

catallus wrote: »
    They're basically evolved dinosaurs. Very dangerous.

"Even being in a vehicle does not guarantee your safety"

Maniacs is what they are.

Aggressive bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zombienosh wrote: »
    sorry there but a giraffe.........that's the equivalent of me punching kittens in the face.... how can someone feel proud of that?
    The thing is though these are managed parks, if you let the giraffes breed uncontrolled by a predator, they start to hurt the ecosystem around them, which will lead onto further problems around the area.

When they reintroduced wolves to yellowstone park in the US, it fixed eroding river banks. That's the kind of effect one animal can have on an ecosystem.
    Hunting wild animals with a gun is cowardly. Hunting them with a big stick that she sharpened herself using a stone might earn her some respect in my eyes.
    Hunting them with a big stick is only going to make the animal suffer. Have you ever seen an elephant killed with spears? It takes a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ScumLord wrote: »
    The thing is though these are managed parks

Kind of makes it worse because they're not even wild animals really. And she's not exactly hunting them because their location will be relatively known.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

To have the words 'hunter' and 'sport' remotely associated with these creeps is an affront to the animal kingdom. A frog catching a fly on its tongue is more of a hunter than any one of the weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

smash wrote: »
    Kind of makes it worse because they're not even wild animals really. And she's not exactly hunting them because their location will be relatively known.

just because it is a managed park does not mean the animals are not wild???

• Advertisement

just because it is a managed park does not mean the animals are not wild???

The animals are kept in an enclosed park and are fed regularly. The park might be acres and acres in size but they're still enclosed and are still fed by staff. It's a whole lot different than venturing out into a jungle or something.

The animals are kept in an enclosed park and are fed regularly. The park might be acres and acres in size but they're still enclosed and are still fed by staff. It's a whole lot different than venturing out into a jungle or something.

well giraffes dont live in the jungle but that is by the by. acres and acres? surely you mean thousands of acres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Maybe calling it a reserve will clarify this. The "park" could be hundreds of thousands of acres. I really doubt the animals are fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

conorhal wrote:
    So death threats are 'critisism' now?

It's a criticism of the fact that they're alive

well giraffes dont live in the jungle but that is by the by. acres and acres? surely you mean thousands of acres?
    Like I said "or something" because there's more than just giraffes there.
    fizzypish wrote: »
    Maybe calling it a reserve will clarify this. The "park" could be hundreds of thousands of acres. I really doubt the animals are fed.

It doesn't really matter about the size of the park. The animals are fed and the park co-ordinators usually know where the animals are located. Louis Theroux did a special about big game hunters in which the lions were fed regularly so they don't eat the other animals in the reserve. People then paid to go and hunt the lions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

conorhal wrote: »
    So death threats are 'critisism' now?

Yeah, becasue the twitter threats really stopped Kony and brought back those girls. It's twitter ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

ScumLord wrote: »
    The thing is though these are managed parks, if you let the giraffes breed uncontrolled by a predator, they start to hurt the ecosystem around them, which will lead onto further problems around the area.

She's not shooting the giraffe and proudly posing next to it's lifeless body for conservation efforts. She's doing it because she gets a kick out of shooting animals. It takes a real sociopath to kill another living creature for your own amusement.

Basically, her getting likes on a facebook picture is more important than the life of a giraffe. That's what it pretty much boils down to.

It doesn't really matter about the size of the park. The animals are fed and the park co-ordinators usually know where the animals are located. Louis Theroux did a special about big game hunters in which the lions were fed regularly so they don't eat the other animals in the reserve. People then paid to go and hunt the lions.

well these were giraffes. i doubt they were throwing out bales of hay to them every day. and they are most definitely still wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Louis Theroux did a special about big game hunters in which the lions were fed regularly so they don't eat the other animals in the reserve. People then paid to go and hunt the lions.

Fair point and I believe it too. Is it right or proper or ethical? I don't know. Personally, I don't get it. Hunting doesn't interest me but my personal opinion is that if some lad/lass gets their jollies on shooting an animal and is willing to pay money that will benefit the species, let them at it. Is it cruel? From the human perspective its perceived cruel but natures cruel anyway. Not that I'm trying to make an excuse on natures cruel grounds. Just my tuppence worth.

She's not shooting the giraffe and proudly posing next to it's lifeless body for conservation efforts. She's doing it because she gets a kick out of shooting animals. It takes a real sociopath to kill another living creature for your own amusement.

Basically, her getting likes on a facebook picture is more important than the life of a giraffe. That's what it pretty much boils down to.

its a giraffe that would have been culled anyway. the money they pay for the hunt (and it is a LOT of money) goes towards conservation. The meat goes to the locals in most cases.

well these were giraffes. i doubt they were throwing out bales of hay to them every day. and they are most definitely still wild animals.

I'm not sure if you're defending her or arguing just to be pedantic about whether or not it's a wild animal. It's a wild animal, but not in the same sense as a lot of others in that it's docile and non threatening. It's like going to your local park to shoot the ducks in the pond. Except it's a species with a continuously decreasing population in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

people mentioning its ok its for consumption-well i dont eat rhino and i certainly dotn eat giraffe so thats BS.

Hunting animals is for cowards.

If you want to be a 'hunter' then go out against a rhino or lion with your bare hands and try kill it otherwise you are a coward hiding in the bushes with a gun.

I'm not sure if you're defending her or arguing just to be pedantic about whether or not it's a wild animal. It's a wild animal, but not in the same sense as a lot of others in that it's docile and non threatening. It's like going to your local park to shoot the ducks in the pond. Except it's a species with a continuously decreasing population in the wild.

I dont think you know what the words docile and non-threatening mean. and it is a species with a continuously INCREASING population in managed parks. Hence the reason for the culls. The population is only decreasing in places that are not managed.

davmol wrote: »
    people mentioning its ok its for consumption-well i dont eat rhino and i certainly dotn eat giraffe so thats BS.

Hunting animals is for cowards.

If you want to be a 'hunter' then go out against a rhino or lion with your bare hands and try kill it otherwise you are a coward hiding in the bushes with a gun.

the locals are happy to eat giraffe. Should they not be allowed to because it offends your ethics?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They are essentially wild but managed by the people running the reserve. The fact they're in an enclosed area, which protects them from poachers as much as anything. They have to be managed though, if you don't cull a species it unbalances the ecosystem of the tiny reserve.

These reserves are conservation areas, there are very real and practical reasons for killing some of the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

catallus wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais is not a funny man.

No, that's you. He has amassed millions of pounds, fans and awards due to the fact that he has a good sense of humour. You have achieved nothing, other than a few 'thanks' on a regional forum.

I dont think you know what the words docile and non-threatening mean.

Yes I know what it means thanks. But let me explain what I mean... it's not an animal that will charge to kill and eat you when it sees you. I guess you're just being pedantic about everything in the thread then.

Yes I know what it means thanks. But let me explain what I mean... it's not an animal that will charge to kill and eat you when it sees you. I guess you're just being pedantic about everything in the thread then.

man eating giraffes? you must be having a giraffe.

but seriously they are as likely to attack you as any giraffe living in the "wild". they are not docile. the are not domesticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

According to her she was asked to do it.
    She said that the Giraffe was close to death, she originally planned not to kill and Giraffes while in Africa.
    The meat was eaten by the locals.

So it looks like she wasn't doing it just for the craic.

Saipanne wrote: »
    No, that's you. He has amassed millions of pounds, fans and awards due to the fact that he has a good sense of humour. You have achieved nothing, other than a few 'thanks' on a regional forum.

thats him shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

simonw wrote: »
    It's not necessarily "Oh, the poor giraffe", so much as the smiling selfies though

Does anyone know what a selfie is anymore? If a photo is possibly taken by a phone, it's deemed to be a selfie nowadays. Yer wan in the photo doesn't have any photographic equipment. Neither does the giraffe. Therefore, it's not a selfie.

This hurts me more than the sight of a sometimes noble, elegant animal being posed after its murder. (Of course, giraffes can also be awkward, gangly-looking yokes...)

man eating giraffes? you must be having a giraffe.

but seriously they are as likely to attack you as any giraffe living in the "wild". they are not docile. the are not domesticated.

But how likely is an unprovoked giraffe attack in the wild? They seem to be the kind of animal that's quite content to leave people alone if they're left alone in return. Unlike say, a lion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It's not every day you read a thread full of clueless opinions on animal behaviour or conservation, and apply their middle-class, suburbanite, Western morality to places that they probably couldn't even point to on a map. All in the pursuit of 'saving' animals, while tucking into factory farmed produce that would make hunting look humane in comparison.

Giraffes aren't the ones in need of a cull, TBH.

• Advertisement

But how likely is an unprovoked giraffe attack in the wild? They seem to be the kind of animal that's quite content to leave people alone if they're left alone in return. Unlike say, a lion.

a lion? Lively brown furry things with short stumpy legs and great long noses. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I could tame one of those. They look pretty tame to start with

Advertisement