Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you could beat Ronda Rousey?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

As an athlete Mayweather is on a different level. Pro boxing is much more competitive than womens MMA and Mayweather is at the very top of that. Sorry lads I just can't see it, but I do see where you're coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not saying Floyd wouldn't catch her on the way in. But saying there's no chance she could get him to the mat without getting caught? A world class Judo player who is now a professional MMA World Champion? No chance? Pfft!
    In any fight were she hunted the takedown straight away, she ate punches on the way in. She plowed through the punches and locked up head in arm. But her head movement was dire on the way in. If the likes of Alexia Davis clock her on the way in, then Floyd does it with ease.
    His foot work for getting out of the way and circling would be infinitely better than planting his feet and swing as her opponents did.
    Also, there's nothing to even say that should he catch her than she'd be finished. Maybe she could actually eat one of his punches on the way in.
    Three words.
    4. oz. Gloves.
    Yes. Once the boxer doesn't somehow connect with the perfect punch on the way in (unlikely against an MMA champion) and knock her out, Floyd has the exact same chances as a journeyman boxer with a losing record.
    It doesn't need to be a "perfect punch". Any decent punch from Floyd will do. And even if it doesn't knock her out clean, he would at the very least severely ring her bell, and the 3 follow up punches would put her down.

How is that unlikely because she is an "MMA champion". Her striking is woeful, even by womens boxing/MT.

In a grappling match, she wins easy. But people thinking that Floyd as 1 punch to win are miles off the mark imo.
    moneyman wrote: »
    Floyd isn't even a big puncher, and even though he's one of the GOAT, it's not as if we're talking about a devastating puncher. This whole argument is nonsense, Ronda would have him tapping within a minute, the only people who debate it are those who don't actually know anything about MMA.
    LOL

Anybody not willing to debate it knows very little about MMA imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Can't really see your argument Mellor. History has shown that pure boxers can't deal with takedown artists. You can think up hypothetical scenarios where "Floyd utilises precise footwork to elude Ronda's clinch and tee off on her as she tries to initiate it" but the reality is that we've not seen this in the examples we have.

Who's to say she wouldn't shoot a double and minimise the risk of eating shots on the way in anyway? Floyd *hasn't a clue* how to defend tds. Anyone who has trained with beginners knows how powerful martial arts experience is over the average joe.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Can't really see your argument Mellor. History has shown that pure boxers can't deal with takedown artists.
    Of course, and I've say a half decent male MMA fighter would waltz through Floyd. But I think people are really under estimating the male v female aspect.
    You can think up hypothetical scenarios where "Floyd utilises precise footwork to elude Ronda's clinch and tee off on her as she tries to initiate it" but the reality is that we've not seen this in the examples we have.
    Thats not what I'm saying tbh. He isn't going to evade with precise footwork forever.

All I'm saying is;

Ronda got tagged by every fighter she tried to close on.
    Floyd is bigger, stronger, and has a longer reach than those women.
    He would do a better job of hitting her on the way in.
    He would do a better job on moving as he stuck, make it harder to close the distance.

I'm not say Ronda has no chance, I think we all agree that if it goes to the mats then its game over. But i just really think people are underestimating how badly she could get hurt eating strikes on the way in.
    Who's to say she wouldn't shoot a double and minimise the risk of eating shots on the way in anyway? Floyd *hasn't a clue* how to defend tds. Anyone who has trained with beginners knows how powerful martial arts experience is over the average joe.
    Hypothetically the double or the low single makes more tactical sense. But I don't think we've seen her do either of these. Afaik that aren't legal in judo. So we are straying away from her forte and the idea "judo olympic medalist" (however that might be moot is they were legal techniques for her whole judo career, may have been).

You are preaching to the choir regard grappling experience. I'm completely grappling orientated and a little bias that way tbh. But I also know that a good striker can make getting inside for the TD a nightmare. I fully agree that RR has all the tools to win, and the longer it goes, the more likely she is to win. But I just think writing off Floyds completely is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    In any fight were she hunted the takedown straight away, she ate punches on the way in. She plowed through the punches and locked up head in arm. But her head movement was dire on the way in. If the likes of Alexia Davis clock her on the way in, then Floyd does it with ease.
    His foot work for getting out of the way and circling would be infinitely better than planting his feet and swing as her opponents did.

But, again, any theory where Floyd wins is predicated on Floyd getting his punch in first. Ronda would've rushed in on the takedowns against these opponents because she'd have been pretty sure she could afford to eat something on the way in. If she can't eat something on the way in, she just changes tactics.

If Floyd doesn't catch her, he's in trouble.

It doesn't need to be a "perfect punch". Any decent punch from Floyd will do. And even if it doesn't knock her out clean, he would at the very least severely ring her bell, and the 3 follow up punches would put her down.

Yes, maybe it would. But again, this is all presuming that Floyd gets to hit her.
    How is that unlikely because she is an "MMA champion". Her striking is woeful, even by womens boxing/MT.

She's not competing in womens boxing/MT though and neither is she in this scenario. And even if every single person she's faced has had better striking than her, we've seen what happens to her opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

I'm 13 stone weight, relatively strong and fit, did kick boxing for 4 years and jujitsu for 5 years, hold green belts in both disciplines. I'm pretty sure I'd knock 90% of regular Joe's on their ass, and at that I wouldn't step in a cage with Ronda rousey , so to see regular Joe's saying they could beat her it's laughable . Her sheer skill level would negate any physical advantage most males would have over her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

pilatus wrote: »
    I'm 13 stone weight, relatively strong and fit, did kick boxing for 4 years and jujitsu for 5 years, hold green belts in both disciplines. I'm pretty sure I'd knock 90% of regular Joe's on their ass, and at that I wouldn't step in a cage with Ronda rousey , so to see regular Joe's saying they could beat her it's laughable . Her sheer skill level would negate any physical advantage most males would have over her.

Very true. Regular guy wouldn't stand a chance

But, again, any theory where Floyd wins is predicated on Floyd getting his punch in first. Ronda would've rushed in on the takedowns against these opponents because she'd have been pretty sure she could afford to eat something on the way in. If she can't eat something on the way in, she just changes tactics.

If Floyd doesn't catch her, he's in trouble.

Yes, maybe it would. But again, this is all presuming that Floyd gets to hit her.
    Changes tactics to what?
    All variations and set ups for the cinch involve her getting close enough to be hit.
    She's not competing in womens boxing/MT though and neither is she in this scenario. And even if every single person she's faced has had better striking than her, we've seen what happens to her opponents.
    I think you missed the point. The strikers she beat (who landed), are miles off women's boxing, which is in turn incomparable to Floyd.

Im trying to think is a sight where a striker dismantle a guy hunting for the TD, but daring a blank. Keep thinking of Brimage unable to deal with McGregor's range, but it's not really the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    Changes tactics to what?
    All variations and set ups for the cinch involve her getting close enough to be hit.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that she WILL be hit.

I think you missed the point. The strikers she beat (who landed), are miles off women's boxing, which is in turn incomparable to Floyd.

Im trying to think is a sight where a striker dismantle a guy hunting for the TD, but daring a blank. Keep thinking of Brimage unable to deal with McGregor's range, but it's not really the same.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk v Esparza maybe? Or is that more an example of good TD defence?

I'm not saying Floyd can't win. But his one chance is hitting Ronda and being able to stay out of the clinch and being able to stay out of the grappling. And, in my opinion, that's not likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Really think people are underestimating the level of speed, power, accuracy and technique Floyd's hand's will have. RR would never of seen anything close to it and never will, even with her pick of training partners.

He clips her with a jab or straight right on her way in and she's going down and quick. A glancing blow would have her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ronda has said that if she was in an MMA fight with Floyd she would sit down and shuffle over to him and try to grab a hold without getting hit.

Obviously she said this in a jokey way but that is basically what she would do in that situation

Joanna Jedrzejczyk v Esparza maybe? Or is that more an example of good TD defence?
    JJ vrs Esparza is a good shout, cheers. JJ didn't really have great TD defense, she just kept punching Carla in the face. And Carla's TD's very quickly went to ****.
    I'm not saying Floyd can't win. But his one chance is hitting Ronda and being able to stay out of the clinch and being able to stay out of the grappling. And, in my opinion, that's not likely to happen.
    He only needs to avoid the clinch long enough to hit her 2, maybe 3 times. That's not very long.
    Ronda's only chance is to get the clinch on the first exchange and not get hit. And that's unlikely to happen.

As quoted, she'd sit down and butt scoot over, so she's knows she'd have no chance to get close on the feet.

FWIW, I asked a friend of mine the same question yesterday. She a pro fighter with a mainstream promotion. And she said Floyd hits her way too quickly to secure clinch. He'd he **** if she got the clinch, but it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Gumbi wrote: »
    Floyd has one chance. We've seen countless times pure boxers get wrecked by wrestlers in MMA. James Toney is one of the greatest boxers ever, he was instantly taken down and submitted by Couture.

And don't give me crap that he was past his prime, so was Randy.

Toney was a great Boxer 10 years before the Randy fight and at about 4 weights lower than heavyweight, also Toney's style was a plant the feet and roll with the punches type that is silly for MMA, Dana basically picked the best style and the most washed up name in Boxing to make an example of Boxing, at a similar time Champion Kermit cintron offered to fight the Sean Sherk the UFC champ and Dana withdrew his challenge that any champ could fight his champ, MMA beats Boxing in an MMA match if the MMA fighters style can avoid Boxing

Rhonda would beat the amazing Katie Taylor in an MMA match most times, Floyd been a lot stronger would be a tougher proposition, if they fought 10 times you would get mixed results, Judo is about clinch, good footwork can keep out of Judo range, Floyd wouldn't be going in gung ho and planting his feet, in some fights he'd get took down quick and subbed, in others she'd struggle to get range and get peppered and minced up

Call it sexist if you choose but Rhonda is not beating any of the legit male UFC fighters in the same weight division, she's getting smashed up unless their pretty much just BJJ players with poor Boxing as some are

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If a guy who seems to train MMA can get beat a girl in 53 seconds...how many average Joes still think they can beat Ronda Rousey?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hazys wrote: »
    If a guy who seems to train MMA can get beat a girl in 53 seconds...how many average Joes still think they can beat Ronda Rousey?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/8/8366095/woman-beats-man-in-mma-fight-but-there-s-a-catch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

That was more of an exhibition according to her coach.

If you ask me, it was an exhibition of how terrible that guy is. His stand up is ridiculous. Kind of looked like he went to one mma class and they lobbed him in at the deep end. I wouldn't come to any conclusion based on that video tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ah for feck sake that video is a joke, I could prob beat both of them with a rolled up newspaper.

But I would run from Ronda, I would like to keep my arms intact.

Hazys wrote: »

No averages Joe are saying they could beat Ronda tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

It's a retarded discussion. And Floyd's name shouldn't be brought into it, just goes to show how popular he is that people look for attention by saying dumb **** about him: Ronda, 50 cent, now our lord and saviour Conor... It's just dumb talk. And anyone who thinks Ronda beats male UFC 135ers is nuts.. great way to get her killed. In fact, and for the record I think she'd probably beat him, but if Floyd cracked her in a street fight he'd kill her. God I've been dragged into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Kev M wrote: »
    It's a retarded discussion. And Floyd's name shouldn't be brought into it, just goes to show how popular he is that people look for attention by saying dumb **** about him: Ronda, 50 cent, now our lord and saviour Conor... It's just dumb talk. And anyone who thinks Ronda beats male UFC 135ers is nuts.. great way to get her killed. In fact, and for the record I think she'd probably beat him, but if Floyd cracked her in a street fight he'd kill her. God I've been dragged into it.

ah c'mon..dont you think its interesting to discuss how the disciplines would compare? Basically could a vastly stronger and more skillful world champion boxer negate the advantages of an Olympic level grabbler?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

paulieeye wrote: »
    ah c'mon..dont you think its interesting to discuss how the disciplines would compare? Basically could a vastly stronger and more skillful world champion boxer negate the advantages of an Olympic level grabbler?

Good question. Maybe we should set up a fighting championship and put different fighting arts against each other. Like a boxer V grappler. Wow. It'd be an ultimate......... Sorry can't think how I'd finish that off

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Good question. Maybe we should set up a fighting championship and put different fighting arts against each other. Like a boxer V grappler. Wow. It'd be an ultimate......... Sorry can't think how I'd finish that off

Great thinking! but no weight classes and the boxers can only wear one glove

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Feck it. No time limits on rounds either

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No. And I honestly think she could beat most of the male 135ers

Ridiculous. Not a hope. She's a woman, and she may have a similar skill set, but without doubt the power and explosive power is where she would be decimated, and pretty quickly. It's man v.s woman no matter what spin is put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

one guy tried that in a very early UFC. it didnt end well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

one guy tried that in a very early UFC. it didnt end well for him.

hqdefault.jpg

Advertisement