Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you could beat Ronda Rousey?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

no problem to a trained Judoka because he/she take taken your balance by then anyway but its crazy to try teach sucker punches/Judo throws.

And that is the most important thing that a lot of people fail to realise or even see. In Judo, the throw is only the second half of the movement, the first half is breaking balance to facilitate the throw. You can't just waltz in an do a hip throw as you would basically be offering your back.

In regards to the question of whether I could beat Rousey. I am 6 foot, 100kg and have trained in various martial arts since I was 8... I wouldn't last a full minute. I have rolled with lads half my size and been turned inside out and they have swept me like I was a blow up doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rousey would beat me 9,999 times out of 10,000, but that one time when my hammer of justice connects.........:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote: »
    There's black belts and black belts.
    I'm well aware that they're are vastly different levels within blackbelt, in all belt too I suppose. But I'd expect no blackbelt to make a mistake like that. Which is why I didmt believe she was black. I see above she is actually purple which makes more sense.

Here's something relative to the for World-Class female athlete verses male athlete debate.

http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Braasch

Cliffs
    In '98 at the Oz Open, Venus and Serena felt they could beat a male tennis player ranked around the 200 mark.
    Karsten Braasch, ranked at 203, takes up the offer. He didn't take it all that seriously by the sounds of things, he was described as playing with gentlemanly restraint, but none the less cruises through both of them one after the other on the warm up courts. I imagine they were giving it full intensity.

Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centred around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager."
    He said afterwards that they'd have no chance inside the top 500. And that he felt he was playing like a 600 player.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Mellor wrote: »
    Here's something relative to the for World-Class female athlete verses male athlete debate.

http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Braasch

Cliffs
    In '98 at the Oz Open, Venus and Serena felt they could beat a male tennis player ranked around the 200 mark.
    Karsten Braasch, ranked at 203, takes up the offer. He didn't take it all that seriously by the sounds of things, he was described as playing with gentlemanly restraint, but none the less cruises through both of them one after the other on the warm up courts. I imagine they were giving it full intensity.

Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centred around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager."
    He said afterwards that they'd have no chance inside the top 500. And that he felt he was playing like a 600 player.

Interesting. I think there are few sports women could actually genuinely compete at the same level as men, none of which would be physical, definitely no contact sports. And by this I mean professional athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There were two similar threads in After Hours about Katie Taylor and the same conclusions were reached. You don't stand a chance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76184515

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80169440

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Her judo skills enable her to take opponents to the floor while gaining excellent positioning, it gives her a huge advantage over wrestlers, for example, who usually end up in full guard or half guard once they have successfully gained a takedown.

If it was a pure BJJ fight would she be equally dominant over the other women?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If you're going to learn Judo you're best going to a separate Judo class and when you're competent try work it into your MMA or BJJ game.

Also one of the first things you will be thought is how to fall/take a throw and this can be pretty harsh on the body of an adult, much easier to learn how to take falls when you are 3 foot tall and weigh 50 pounds.

There were two similar threads in After Hours about Katie Taylor and the same conclusions were reached. You don't stand a chance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76184515

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80169440

Rousey's one thing because she's an MMA fighter and is unreal at take downs and grappling. Katie Taylor is a 5'5 130lbs boxer, I've 8" and 80lbs on her, I'd have more than a chance, as would any moderately built and healthy man, especially if we had to wear those safety helmets. If you said a light heavyweight, possibly even a middleweight, boxer at that same level I'd be more inclined to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This is only a little relevant, the weight difference is a pity, it would be interesting to see her spar with a man her own weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

nm wrote: »
    This is only a little relevant, the weight difference is a pity, it would be interesting to see her spar with a man her own weight

what do they weigh there ?
    140 v 210 ish?
    that's a 50% difference; pointless really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

darced wrote: »
    Rousey walks around about 155 which is not far off someone like Frankie Edgar.

Mousassi would not be able to play with male pro's that size like they were children.

100% agree with that last line Moussasi would without a doubt not be be able to rag doll the majority of male 135s like that. Fair enough there not going full on or whatever but I'd be fairly confident in most if not all of the male 135rs beating her easily.

Tigger wrote: »
    what do they weigh there ?
    140 v 210 ish?
    that's a 50% difference; pointless really
    She's about 150 on fight night, so she's at least that there, if not 155.
    That's not hugely relavent though, he was moving her about with ease, didn't realky need to dig deep into his weigh advantage to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Boards ignores the skip to on you tube?
    anyhow skip to 2min 04sec

Tigger wrote: »

Boards ignores the skip to on you tube?
    anyhow skip to 2min 04sec

Strong embed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'm 6 2 and well built. Would I beat her? F*ck no! If I hit her in my sleep I better wake up and apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    With this big 'Would she beat Floyd' in an mma/street fight debate - i'm definitely in Ronda's corner. If (when) she got her hands on Floyd she would beat the sh*t out of him.

With the greatest respect OP, I think she would hurt you bad. Some people are so silly when it comes to professional fighters.

Are you actually serious? You genuinely think Ronda Rousey would beat Floyd Mayweather in a fight? I'm sorry but that is an absolutely outrageous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? You genuinely think Ronda Rousey would beat Floyd Mayweather in a fight? I'm sorry but that is an absolutely outrageous statement.

In a boxing match, it's a silly proposition. In a street fight, what chance does Floyd have other than hitting Ronda on the way in before she gets a hold of him?

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    In a boxing match, it's a silly proposition. In a street fight, what chance does Floyd have other than hitting Ronda on the way in before she gets a hold of him?

All fights start standing up. Ronda wouldn't be able to get Floyd to the ground without him catching her. We're talking about one of the best boxers of all time here.

Edit. Obviously that's not to say Ronda isn't the best womans MMA fighter of all time. But seriously, the thread started out asking if Joe bloggs could beat her (Obviously they couldn't) so then surely there's no question that Floyd could.

All fights start standing up. Ronda wouldn't be able to get Floyd to the ground without him catching her.

Not true at all i'm afraid.

Not true at all i'm afraid.

Floyd obviously wouldn't have the takedown defence of an MMA fighter but how many times have we seen fighters try and fail to take the fight to the ground due to their inferior stand up. Floyd would be too quick.

Floyd obviously wouldn't have the takedown defence of an MMA fighter but how many times have we seen fighters try and fail to take the fight to the ground due to their inferior stand up. Floyd would be too quick.

We're talking about an Olympic medalist in Judo here. Judo!

I'm not saying Floyd wouldn't catch her on the way in. But saying there's no chance she could get him to the mat without getting caught? A world class Judo player who is now a professional MMA World Champion? No chance? Pfft!

Also, there's nothing to even say that should he catch her than she'd be finished. Maybe she could actually eat one of his punches on the way in.

Floyd wins a boxing match. He loses everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Floyd has one chance. We've seen countless times pure boxers get wrecked by wrestlers in MMA. James Toney is one of the greatest boxers ever, he was instantly taken down and submitted by Couture.

And don't give me crap that he was past his prime, so was Randy.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Gumbi wrote: »
    James Toney is one of the greatest boxers ever

Not really

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Not really

It doesn't matter really. The point is, any theory involving Floyd beating Ronda is predicated on the scenario that Floyd catches her on the way in.

That's not great odds for the Pretty Boy!

If the fight stays on the feet, Floyd wins 999,999 times out of 1m and the Ronda winning scenario is probably Floyd getting struck by lightening.

But the question about whether a straight boxer can stay on the feet against a decorated grappler has been answered. The boxer ends up on their back and they have a bad time.

It doesn't matter really. The point is, any theory involving Floyd beating Ronda is predicated on the scenario that Floyd catches her on the way in.

That's not great odds for the Pretty Boy!

If the fight stays on the feet, Floyd wins 999,999 times out of 1m and the Ronda winning scenario is probably Floyd getting struck by lightening.

But the question about whether a straight boxer can stay on the feet against a decorated grappler has been answered. The boxer ends up on their back and they have a bad time.
    Not just any old boxer...

Not just any old boxer...

Yes. Once the boxer doesn't somehow connect with the perfect punch on the way in (unlikely against an MMA champion) and knock her out, Floyd has the exact same chances as a journeyman boxer with a losing record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Floyd isn't even a big puncher, and even though he's one of the GOAT, it's not as if we're talking about a devastating puncher. This whole argument is nonsense, Ronda would have him tapping within a minute, the only people who debate it are those who don't actually know anything about MMA.

Advertisement