Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you could beat Ronda Rousey?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 11:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

My ego screams for me to confidently say yes because I'm taller than her, bigger and heavier than her and stronger than her but facts like how good a fighter and athlete she is make me actually say no. I do some but not enough cardio so that right there gives her a strong edge, but it's her training that I think would play the biggest part in her kicking my ass. I would still love to try though lol.

For reference:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

My ego screams for me to confidently say yes because I'm taller than her, bigger and heavier than her and stronger than her but facts like how good a fighter and athlete she is make me actually say no. I do some but not enough cardio so that right there gives her a strong edge, but it's her training that I think would play the biggest part in her kicking my ass. I would still love to try though lol.

For reference:

Anyone who responds yes here is more than likely an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No and you wouldnt either. Shed have a nice boards collection of arms

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No. And I honestly think she could beat most of the male 135ers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

No and you wouldnt either. Shed have a nice boards collection of arms

'You' who?

Please contact Dana White with this idea, would actually love to see a fight like that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

she wouldn't.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My ego screams for me to confidently say yes because I'm taller than her, bigger and heavier than her and stronger than her...
    Lol none of that is gonna help. She'd she'll be able to throw you with easily. Like fully airbourne. Or via any of the other takedown options.
    Once on the mat, she'd submit you pretty quickly. No question. She's a judo blackbelt FFS. And I'd assume you'd have little grappling experience with which to resist.
    Even if submissions weren't allowed, she'd still beat you with strikes when pinned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This is purely based on my own watching of MMA as a spectator, but I really think very few athletes do 'everything' to the high standard required to be the very best. In a sense, jack of all trades and master of none- That is what MMA essentially is. Being as well versed in all areas of combat so you can dismantle your opponent.

From my viewings, it just seems to me that, more often than not, when someone steps in with a sole pedigree in a specific art, they walk through their opponents. Rousey's judo does just that, and I don't see anyone beating her because of it. It takes her to a whole other level that the rest of that division can not match. It's like Anderson Silva's striking, he's so dominant on the counter that noone could stop him.

Just my 2 cent.

TL;DR- Ronda would ragdoll each and every one of us. She is immense.

Mellor wrote: »
    Lol none of that is gonna help. She'd she'll be able to throw you with easily. Like fully airbourne. Or via any of the other takedown options.
    Once on the mat, she'd submit you pretty quickly. No question. She's a judo blackbelt FFS. And I'd assume you'd have little grappling experience with which to resist.
    Even if submissions weren't allowed, she'd still beat you with strikes when pinned down.

Do you have difficulty with reading comprehension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This is purely based on my own watching of MMA as a spectator, but I really think very few athletes do 'everything' to the high standard required to be the very best. In a sense, jack of all trades and master of none- That is what MMA essentially is. Being as well versed in all areas of combat so you can dismantle your opponent.

From my viewings, it just seems to me that, more often than not, when someone steps in with a sole pedigree in a specific art, they walk through their opponents. Rousey's judo does just that, and I don't see anyone beating her because of it. It takes her to a whole other level that the rest of that division can not match. It's like Anderson Silva's striking, he's so dominant on the counter that noone could stop him.

Just my 2 cent.

TL;DR- Ronda would ragdoll each and every one of us. She is immense.

Chris weidman called, he reckons your talking poop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

With this big 'Would she beat Floyd' in an mma/street fight debate - i'm definitely in Ronda's corner. If (when) she got her hands on Floyd she would beat the sh*t out of him.

With the greatest respect OP, I think she would hurt you bad. Some people are so silly when it comes to professional fighters.

• Advertisement

Do you have difficulty with reading comprehension?
    Nope, not in the slightest.
    I'm well aware you acknowledged she's a better fighter, and you even conceded that you probably lose.
    But it's still a ridiculous question in the first place. And wondering she might edge you die to cardio... Really?

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    With this big 'Would she beat Floyd' in an mma/street fight debate - i'm definitely in Ronda's corner. If (when) she got her hands on Floyd she would beat the sh*t out of him.

With the greatest respect OP, I think she would hurt you bad. Some people are so silly when it comes to professional fighters.

Not another. Do people on boards just not read OPs fully before posting?

Chris weidman called, he reckons your talking poop.

Perhaps Mr. Weidman would like to re-read the word 'could' in that post, which, as I'm sure an educated man as yourself would know, implies the past tense. All good things come to an end. Or you use PEDs and crush everyone. One or the other.

At his peak, Silva decimated everyone and everything in his division with relative ease. Rousey has done the exact same.

Nope, not in the slightest.
    I'm well aware you acknowledged she's a better fighter, and you even conceded that you probably lose.
    But it's still a ridiculous question in the first place. And wondering she might edge you die to cardio... Really?

I didn't concede that I'd probably lose, I conceded that I would lose.

Why's it a ridiculous question?

I added the part about cardio because if one was to fight her then one's best option is to just try and stick to landing punches since unless one's trained in grappling it's best to try and avoid it because that's instantly a loss against her. Cardio is a very important part of not getting gassed quickly so what's your issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rhonda gets beat by all of the top 20 males at 135lbs,in the UFC
    She's the best woman by a long shot but that cause all the other women are simply awful ,

The womens fight are exciting and it is but the Technique shown just isn't on the same level as the men ,90% of the time ,
    Also I think fight IQ show by the women is dreadful,
    Zingano is a bjj black belt and goes for a head lock when she hits the deck with Rousey white belts would know not to do that,
    Holly holm is a boxing world champion and did you see how awful her striking looked,

In combat sport women are way behind men its just a fact, There so new to it its like watching men in the UFC in the early 90's,itll take time for them to grow into the sport

Rhonda is light years ahead of the rest but still wouldn't beat any of the top 20 males her weight in the UFC,

Rhonda gets beat by all of the top 20 males at 135lbs,in the UFC
    She's the best woman by a long shot but that cause all the other women are simply awful ,

The womens fight are exciting and it is but the Technique shown just isn't on the same level as the men ,90% of the time ,
    Also I think fight IQ show by the women is dreadful,
    Zingano is a bjj black belt and goes for a head lock when she hits the deck with Rousey white belts would know not to do that,
    Holly holm is a boxing world champion and did you see how awful her striking looked,

In combat sport women are way behind men its just a fact, There so new to it its like watching men in the UFC in the early 90's,itll take time for them to grow into the sport

Rhonda is light years ahead of the rest but still wouldn't beat any of the top 20 males her weight in the UFC,

but Yes should she would beat me easy and maybe quicker than she did Zingano

I
    Why's it a ridiculous question?
    Because she's a lifelong martial artist, and an elite grappler. And you have no grappling experience.
    This isn't a slight on you btw. There's a reason grappling is such a huge part of MMA, because without it, a guy would be put on your back and dominated.
    I added the part about cardio because if one was to fight her then one's best option is to just try and stick to landing punches since unless one's trained in grappling it's best to try and avoid it because that's instantly a loss against her. Cardio is a very important part of not getting gassed quickly so what's your issue with that?
    One could try to stick to landing punches. But it'd be fairly easy for her to shoot under a punch and take a single or reap the leg. With zero takedown defense, one is going on his ass. It wouldn't last long enough for gassing to become an issue.
    Again not you specifically, anybody without grappling experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

The question is; "Do you think you could you beat Ronda Rousey?"

YES I COULD BEAT RONDA ROUSEY........... at counting to ten in Irish (right here, right now, before she has time to learn the language, I COULD BEAT RONDA ROUSEY at counting to ten in Irish!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

Dietsquirt wrote: »

Ronda beats any male under 200lbs if they have no fighting experience.
    She loses badly to any level of male fighter no matter what weight, she wouldn't be ranked in cage warriors never mind the UFC.

As for Floyd, he plasters her nose to mat in under a minute, when he lands she goes down.

http://fat.gfycat.com/SparklingTastyAsianconstablebutterfly.webm

Here's Liz Carmouche landing a punch on Ronda before the takedown.

http://fat.gfycat.com/OpulentWeepyFirefly.webm

Here's Miesha landing a few punches.

http://www.gfycat.com/BareSnoopyHoneycreeper

Sarah McMann landing a big right hand.

http://fat.gfycat.com/DelightfulFearlessAchillestang.webm

Alexis Davis landing a few.

Floyd is immeasurably faster, more explosive, he has better technique and is just simply the superior athlete

Yeah Rousey could throw him, but not before he lands a big punch,unless we pretend he can't do what Liz Carmouche could.

There's no way she's a blackbelt. Can't be. For the very reason you said, it was a basic mistake. any half competent grappler armbars her after doing that.

• Advertisement

I'm 6'2 ~210 and have basically no fighting experience and still think she'd wreck me, it's her intensity as well, she seems similar to Jose Aldo with the way she seems to have absolutely no apprehension even when walking towards an opponent who's throwing punches left and right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There's no way she's a blackbelt. Can't be. For the very reason you said, it was a basic mistake. any half competent grappler armbars her after doing that.

There's black belts and black belts.

Mike Massenzio has a black belt, think of that.

After watching Ruan Potts (a bjj brown belt!) compete in the first pre-lim last weekend, anything is possible re: belt colour and ability!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

She's a purple belt.

rain on wrote: »
    She's a purple belt.

Sorry I thought I heard Rhonda call her a black belt in the build up ,
    Still a terrible mistake from a purple belt,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Alexis Davis is a BJJ black belt.

But Ronda is an Olympic medallist which at one time would of made her one of the best female Judo black belts in the world.

There are belts and competitive belts. They are different levels. Ronda was one of the best competitive black belts in Judo for a time, she would smoke most other female Judo black belts like swatting a fly.

Alexis Davis is a BJJ black belt.

But Ronda is an Olympic medallist which at one time would of made her one of the best female Judo black belts in the world.

There are belts and competitive belts. They are different levels. Ronda was one of the best competitive black belts in Judo for a time, she would smoke most other female Judo black belts like swatting a fly.

I get that there are different levels, but going for a headlock has nothing to do with how good Rhonda is, its something you learn quite early in bjj, Just using it as an example of low fight IQ shown in women's fights

Still find it funny that people believe the UFC hype and think she'd beat 135lbs guys in the UFC .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Sorry I thought I heard Rhonda call her a black belt in the build up ,
    Still a terrible mistake from a purple belt,
    Yeah I remember Ronda saying that, I kind of did a double take because she's definitely not a black belt.

The Gracie Breakdown for the fight does a good job of explaining why Cat left the arm out. It wasn't holding onto a headlock for no reason white belt style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I get that there are different levels, but going for a headlock has nothing to do with how good Rhonda is, its something you learn quite early in bjj, Just using it as an example of low fight IQ shown in women's fights

Still find it funny that people believe the UFC hype and think she'd beat 135lbs guys in the UFC .

Ronda goes for the headlock all the time. Sometimes head and arm sometimes just head. She just executes it way better.

We are often discouraged from using some Judo throws as they are risky. Or rather take a very long time to get good enough at them to use them effectively. This is really the feather in Ronda's cap that no one in her division will be able to catch up with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We are often discouraged from using some Judo throws as they are risky. Or rather take a very long time to get good enough at them to use them effectively. This is really the feather in Ronda's cap that no one in her division will be able to catch up with her.

The problem with teaching Judo throws in an MMA environment (or even BJJ) and that you're not learning Judo.. What does that mean?.. Well I'm reluctant to show people Judo throws without trying to explain what combinations the throws work with, a simple explanation would be to try teach a boxing newbie to sucker punch only.

Judo is complicated, its got a very steep learning curve and most throws (at least hip and shoulder throws) are contrary to what fighters are told from day one 'don't turn your back on your opponent' ~ hip and shoulder throws require the fighter to give their back up momentarily, no problem to a trained Judoka because he/she take taken your balance by then anyway but its crazy to try teach sucker punches/Judo throws.

If you're going to learn Judo you're best going to a separate Judo class and when you're competent try work it into your MMA or BJJ game.

Advertisement