Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

elastico wrote: »
    While Shannon is best suited if it simply didn't exist or got closed tomorrow aircraft in trouble would just continue onto Dublin or elsewhere.

How many of these emergency landings or sick passenger landings would have had the same outcome if the plane flew and extra 20 minutes from Dublin?

If an emergency that occurs 3 hours out whether its Shannon in 3 hours or 3.20 to Dublin the plane would have crashed or passenger be dead anyway if it was serious enough.

It is a handy diversionary airport because its uncongested and probably results in the least tie wasted for passengers but I don't think its that important.

Don't agree with you on that but at least you give a knowledgeable argument. Spoke with one of the Air Traffic Controllers down there in relation to this, and he told me that Shannon is ideally located for these incidents, and for such events that occurs over the Atlantic.

The main reason was because of Shannon's runway length which is obviously best suited for aircraft such as the A380 which Dublin can't handle fully laden and other large aircraft that need to land that are over the maximum landing weight. Shannon also benefits from no noise restrictions, though thats not hugely important in emergency situations. Saying continuing onto Dublin for an extra 20 minutes? Sure f**k it they may as well continue onto Manchester or Liverpool if that's the case. Who knows what the outcome of these situations would be if they had to go to Dublin, maybe some of these passengers that survived may not have if they continued on.

You don't play with peoples lives saying a well sure whats another 20 minutes. Dublin folk need to realise that it aint the best for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Airbus330 wrote: »
    You don't play with peoples lives saying a well sure whats another 20 minutes. Dublin folk need to realise that it aint the best for everything.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Airlines should have a preference for one airport over another. As mentioned earlier, a 747 made an emergency landing in Cork once. I don't think anyone is saying the pilot should have pressed on to Shannon, when he thought he might have a fire onboard.

The question is simply "who pays"? The airlines are the ones with responsibility for the passengers. No reason for the IAA to be subsidising any airline that might need to make an emergency stop sometime.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Airlines should have a preference for one airport over another. As mentioned earlier, a 747 made an emergency landing in Cork once. I don't think anyone is saying the pilot should have pressed on to Shannon, when he thought he might have a fire onboard.

The question is simply "who pays"? The airlines are the ones with responsibility for the passengers. No reason for the IAA to be subsidising any airline that might need to make an emergency stop sometime.

Yes I agree with you on that. I certainly don't think any airport should receive a subsidy for them type of operations.

But trying to argue that SNN doesn't play a major role in emergency situations for transatlantic flights is kind of pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes I agree with you on that. I certainly don't think any airport should receive a subsidy for them type of operations.

But trying to argue that SNN doesn't play a major role in emergency situations for transatlantic flights is kind of pathetic.

I was not arguing the fact but I agree no subsidy should be provided and as already stated between 12-6am there is limited overpass flights until 4 am and the majority of diversions are during normal operational hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Shannon is as an alternate for most transatlantic traffic. When flight planning an always open airport is certainly more favourable than one that isn't.
    For many reasons outlined already it is best suited for this. However if it closed tomorrow it doesn't mean that north Atlantic traffic would cease. But for the moment the state has an obligation to keep it open at night as it has done for decades. As already stated I think the SNN does particularly well from all these diversions. Whether the cost of keeping it open at night outweighs the benefits is the question?

Good news from the turks!

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Shannon is as an alternate for most transatlantic traffic. When flight planning an always open airport is certainly more favourable than one that isn't.
    For many reasons outlined already it is best suited for this. However if it closed tomorrow it doesn't mean that north Atlantic traffic would cease. But for the moment the state has an obligation to keep it open at night as it has done for decades. As already stated I think the SNN does particularly well from all these diversions. Whether the cost of keeping it open at night outweighs the benefits is the question?

Good news from the turks!

Well said. :) Anyone any idea what time these Turkish flights will be departing on the Friday? Would love to catch it one of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Anyone any idea what time these Turkish flights will be departing on the Friday? Would love to catch it one of the days.
    According to their cargo website the next schedule from Shannon to Chicago departs Friday at 10:50.

Man taken off flight at Shannon and arrested (Clare Herald)

Norwegian Air Shuttle flight NAX7045 (B787) London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale Florida diverted to Shannon this evening.

air-rage-280415.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That aircraft looks like a dog's lipstick. Bit of an unfortunate color scheme IMO. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

That aircraft looks like a dog's lipstick. Bit of an unfortunate color scheme IMO. :D

Looks like a lot of things

New Shannon cargo service Turkish Airline has been granted permission to operate a cargo-only service from Shannon Airport to Chicago though its subsidiary Turkish Cargo. The service will operate on Fridays, and will carry up to 70 tonnes. The aircraft, an Airbus 330F, can carry high-value consumer goods, industrial equipment, pharmaceuticals and thoroughbred horses.

Turkish Airlines are also using Shannon for refuelling of passengers services to North America. (Irish Times)

Have they started to use Shannon to refuel their passenger aircraft already?

Don’t recall seeing anything of this activity to date.

New Shannon cargo service Turkish Airline has been granted permission to operate a cargo-only service from Shannon Airport to Chicago though its subsidiary Turkish Cargo. The service will operate on Fridays, and will carry up to 70 tonnes. The aircraft, an Airbus 330F, can carry high-value consumer goods, industrial equipment, pharmaceuticals and thoroughbred horses.

Turkish Airlines are also using Shannon for refuelling of passengers services to North America. (Irish Times)

Have they started to use Shannon to refuel their passenger aircraft already?

Don’t recall seeing anything of this activity to date.

They have not for passenger, and why would then when they ave the range, either bad journalism or SNN trying to generate a non PR story.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They have not for passenger, and why would then when they ave the range, either bad journalism or SNN trying to generate a non PR story.
    They have not for passenger, . . .
    Could you verify that?
    . . . and why would then when they ave the range, . . .
    Why wouldn’t they if they happen to fly outside their range?
    . . . either bad journalism . . .
    How about Joan Scales
    . . . or SNN trying to generate a non PR story.
    Why are you insinuating that as there was no mention of it in their official PR release?

Why wouldn’t they if they happen to fly outside their range?

TK network and aircraft have full range, they fly IST-SFO/LAX for example which are their longest routes.
    Is <mod snip>?

Well, there is no evidence to suggest passenger ops are stopping so where did she pull it out of!
    Why are you insinuating that as there was no mention of it in their official PR release?

I have not read their press release however why would TK stop when they have the range?

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Mod snip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Attack the post not the poster folks.

TK network and aircraft have full range, they fly IST-SFO/LAX for example which are their longest routes.
    Firstly, I was hoping you could have verified that Turkish Airways were not refuelling in Shannon with a list of flights or some sort.

Turkish Airways seems to be rapidly expanding world-wide, which makes it very plausible to me that some of their aircraft may need to refuel on route to the US.
    Well, there is no evidence to suggest passenger ops are stopping so where did she pull it out of!
    But I asked you, if you considered her to be a bad Journalist?
    I have not read their press release however why would TK stop when they have the range?
    If you have not bothered to read the official PR release on the previous page then why insinuate such false allegations?

Limerick District Court heard that the air rage diversion will cost the Norwegian airline €100,000 (newstalk).

Wow, I wonder what fraction of that sum will go to cover Shannon’s 24/7 fire and rescue costs?

Limerick District Court heard that the air rage diversion will cost the Norwegian airline €100,000 (newstalk).

Wow, I wonder what fraction of that sum will go to cover Shannon’s 24/7 fire and rescue costs?

Why should it cover 24/7 costs when it operated within normal hours ie before all schedule flights ended, if it was outside of regular hours them maybe. I'm sure there is nothing stepping SNN charging a premium for diversions outside regular hours or even all diversions.

Why should it cover 24/7 costs when it operated within normal hours ie before all schedule flights ended, if it was outside of regular hours them maybe. I'm sure there is nothing stepping SNN charging a premium for diversions outside regular hours or even all diversions.

If the cops were called Im sure call out rates were applied. If an airport is open then fire cover will be available regardless. Diversions are expensive any time of day, you pay top dollar for the privelidge. 100k seems a bit steep though. But who knows maybe they took fuel, catering, etc before they continued?

• Advertisement

If you are going to remark on what I post here (Turkish Airlines) then please respond to my questions above.

I believe that the En Route charges for using Irish controlled airspace should include some contribution towards the fire and rescue cover that is provided on the ground for the 300,000 aircraft that pass through it yearly.

Statistically, circa 299,950 aircraft would never need to avail of this free safety net, but it is always there (24/7) if the emergency ever arose.

Ireland has one of the lowest charges (€29,60) in Europe for use of its airspace, so the question is who is subsidising whom?

Charging a premium landing fee for a diversion could comprise safety, especially when we think of the antics that some low cost carriers would do to avoid them.

IAAWebVersions1.jpg

If you are going to remark on what I post here (Turkish Airlines) then please respond to my questions above.

Don't take it personally, it's the point I don't agree with and yet to see a justified answer from most.
    I believe that the En Route charges for using Irish controlled airspace should include some contribution towards the fire and rescue cover that is provided on the ground for the 300,000 aircraft that pass through it yearly.

Statistically, circa 299,950 aircraft would never need to avail of this free safety net, but it is always there (24/7) if the emergency ever arose.

Ireland has one of the lowest charges (€29,60) in Europe for use of its airspace, so the question is who is subsidising whom?

Charging a premium landing fee for a diversion could comprise safety, especially when we think of the antics that some low cost carriers would do to avoid them.

We have competitive charges however the IAA is not an airport operator and should not have to bare such costs. There is no obligation for SNN to remain open 24/7. All airports on the island could make a case for emergencies overnight, yes SNN is located well.

It is up to the airport to have a competitive cost base to be able to deal with operating hours and carriers. In my view the airport has a cost base which is way to high since the daa split (not 24/7 related) but staff etc and a based carrier which they are almost offering free fees to. It is not sustainable and the CEO made remarks about staff costs last year but that seems to of gone quiet. The IAA would be subsidizing the airport which not only is illegal under EU rules, it is also unfair competition for airports such as Knock/Cork/Dublin as it could enable SNN to drop fees more.

Don't take it personally, it's the point I don't agree with and yet to see a justified answer from most.
    Personally, I think you don’t have the balls to retract your untrue assertions, as there was no bad journalism involved nor was Shannon trying to generate a non PR story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What part of attack the poster not the post is so difficult to understand, there has been a yellow and a red card handed out today any further bickering will result in bans.

Personally, I think you don’t have the balls to retract your untrue assertions, as there was no bad journalism involved nor was Shannon trying to generate a non PR story.

Ok so TK fuel stop passenger flights daily at SNN :rolleyes:

Somebody clearly didn't do research or there was some form of communication breakdown. So yes a poorly written article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ok so TK fuel stop passenger flights daily at SNN :rolleyes:

Somebody clearly didn't do research or there was some form of communication breakdown. So yes a poorly written article.

Go ahead and reference the word daily in the article.

Can't find it? Its a pretty key word for you to be making up!

I may understand how the journalist got confused, there were rumours on travel extra that TK would replace their cargo A332 with a half passenger/half cargo A332 on the IST-SNN-ORD route.

Saying that Shannon are making up things for press releases are pretty serious. If anything like that is taking place, it's not at Shannon. Its at the DAA. Their rambling about Shannon in the Cork situation is to save their ass at Dublin and that's clear to most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I don't think a TK aircraft has ever stopped for fuel at SNN at least in recent years. in this case someone got their lines crossed. When they did the photo op with TK a few weeks ago they probably lifted some fuel alright

I don't think a TK aircraft has ever stopped for fuel at SNN at least in recent years. in this case someone got their lines crossed. When they did the photo op with TK a few weeks ago they probably lifted some fuel alright

So the cargo service operating since march hasn't stopped for fuel?

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/04/30/air-rage-incident-cost-airline-thousands-as-disruptive-passenger-fined-in-court/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Article about Norwegian diversion. They spent 20k on fuel at SNN and a small fortune on new landing slots at FLL

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Go ahead and reference the word daily in the article.

Can't find it? Its a pretty key word for you to be making up!

I may understand how the journalist got confused, there were rumours on travel extra that TK would replace their cargo A332 with a half passenger/half cargo A332 on the IST-SNN-ORD route.

Saying that Shannon are making up things for press releases are pretty serious. If anything like that is taking place, it's not at Shannon. Its at the DAA. Their rambling about Shannon in the Cork situation is to save their ass at Dublin and that's clear to most.

I was being sarcastic, the key works also in the article about passengers stopping are made up to! Easy to get confused but also easy to research.
    So the cargo service operating since march hasn't stopped for fuel?

Not very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/04/30/air-rage-incident-cost-airline-thousands-as-disruptive-passenger-fined-in-court/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Article about Norwegian diversion. They spent 20k on fuel at SNN and a small fortune on new landing slots at FLL
    Does that make it about $70 per head in fuel costs to cross the Atlantic?

Can't understand the reasoning behind this claim. Mr Martin does not explain his points, he just makes a blatant claim and then rambles on about Cork airport.

Shannon did make a profit last year, yes? Isn't this only set to increase?

Not very often.

Incorrect YET AGAIN. It has skipped a few times but majority of the time it has stopped.

It's kind of hilarious that every argument for Cork involves a dig at Shannon.

If Mr. Martin was a Clare man or wasn't from Cork for that matter his argument would be completely different instead praising the airport for making a profit and growing passenger numbers after separating from the dictators in the DAA. They were glad to let it go and wished it every success but now they're quick to say it's impacting on Cork. Please it's called business and Shannon has does everything it can to return the airport to growth in a very competitive market. EI didn't end they're Lisbon and Nice services and reduce Brussels because of Shannon.

Demand clearly dosent exist and they'll end unprofitable routes no matter what (as Jamie 2k19 loves to point out)

Does that make it about $70 per head in fuel costs to cross the Atlantic?

It would cost alot more than that. They were just topping up after the diversion and the fuel dumped I believe.

Incorrect YET AGAIN. It has skipped a few times but majority of the time it has stopped.

Product the stats so.....
    Demand clearly dosent exist and they'll end unprofitable routes no matter what (as Jamie 2k19 loves to point out)

Carrying loads as low as 30% on major routes when the network average is 90%, very low fares close in, they are not crash cows at all!

Carrying loads as low as 30% on major routes

First I've heard of that!

First I've heard of that!

Some of the Paris/Munich flights in recent weeks have between 30-50% full, the rest are doing good because its Irish going on holidays or non nationals coming/going! Granted schedules are poor but even so it's very low.

Some of the Paris/Munich flights in recent weeks have between 30-50% full, the rest are doing good because its Irish going on holidays or non nationals coming/going! Granted schedules are poor but even so it's very low.

I've heard almost as low as 50%, this 30% figure is brand new to me? Any source for it?

The Paris/Munich flights are also not major routes, they are to airports miles outside the cities. If Ryanair flew to CDG or MUN I guarantee those routes would be doing significantly better.

• Advertisement

I've heard almost as low as 50%, this 30% figure is brand new to me? Any source for it?

The Paris/Munich flights are also not major routes, they are to airports miles outside the cities. If Ryanair flew to CDG or MUN I guarantee those routes would be doing significantly better.

50% would be more common but the Munich had lows of 33%/37% in the last few weeks. I agree not great airports but both have the best inbound markets. Moving to a Mon/Fri or Thur/Su would deliver much better results.

I mean SNN-BVA used to be one of SNN's best Euro routes a few years ago, it was operating daily and double daily a few days a week. There is no reason why it's can't return ti be a decent connection with the right schedule. Prehaps the airport should encourage. There is no need for routes to Alicante/Malaga etc to take up good departure slots as most don't really care which days they run.

Memmingen will bring in some tourists in the height of summer but that's about it. They would be better off with a route like Bergamo or Girona to be honest!

Memmingen will bring in some tourists in the height of summer but that's about it. They would be better off with a route like Bergamo or Girona to be honest!

Or Barcelona, I'd say you could even manage a year round BCN route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Memmingen should bring in a good few people hopefully, ze Germans quite like Ireland. It's actually a bit bewildering it's not going in winter, because quite a lot of people might go over to Bavaria skiing and going to the Christmas markets. It's a route I have high hopes for and not only because Shannon is 20 minutes from my house and Memmingen 20 minutes from my mother's house. :D;)
    Alas I still always find myself flying from Dublin, because either there is no flights, or the schedule doesn't suit or the flights are hugely expensive and driving up to Dublin and paying for a weeks parking is still cheaper. Which is a bit of a joke. But in the end it's not about me, so we have to see how things develop. The tourist boards on either end should start to aggressively push that route, it's not Ryanair's job to do that. They give you the route and what you do with it is your problem.

Can't understand the reasoning behind this claim. Mr Martin does not explain his points, he just makes a blatant claim and then rambles on about Cork airport.
    Well Kevin Toland, chief executive of DAA said some 2.14 million passengers passed through Cork airport in 2014, a fall of 5 per cent from 2.26 million passengers in 2013, due in large part to a number of its central European routes being transferred to Shannon airport (Irish Times).

Then “Approximately 100,000 passengers were going through Cork and they are now going to Shannon because of the deals that can be offered. That is what DAA officials are saying behind the scenes,” Micheál Martin said. (Irish Examiner)

However if we look at the 2014 central European CSO figures for Cork and Shannon, it shows that Cork did lose 102,000 passengers but Shannon only gained 55,000.

So I wonder where did the other 47,000 central European passengers from Cork go to? To Dublin perhaps?

In fairness to Cork, the sooner they are out of the control of the DAA, the better off they will be.

In my opinion the real villain is Michael O’Leary as he has been trying for years to extract a better deal from the DAA on charges, particularly in Dublin.

As long as the DAA has a lion’s share of the Irish market they won’t budge.

So O’Leary targets the smaller airports in the group i.e. Shannon in the past and Cork now, in order to indirectly pressurise the DAA.

347145.png

Well they might not nessecarily all be flying to Poland etc, you probably have Corkonians flying SNN Berlin, Nice etc

• Advertisement

Passengers flying to Berlin would not have affected the Cork figures though.

Memmingen should bring in a good few people hopefully, ze Germans quite like Ireland. It's actually a bit bewildering it's not going in winter, because quite a lot of people might go over to Bavaria skiing and going to the Christmas markets. It's a route I have high hopes for and not only because Shannon is 20 minutes from my house and Memmingen 20 minutes from my mother's house. :D;)
    Alas I still always find myself flying from Dublin, because either there is no flights, or the schedule doesn't suit or the flights are hugely expensive and driving up to Dublin and paying for a weeks parking is still cheaper. Which is a bit of a joke. But in the end it's not about me, so we have to see how things develop. The tourist boards on either end should start to aggressively push that route, it's not Ryanair's job to do that. They give you the route and what you do with it is your problem.

DUB just about supports a 1 weekly Memmingen service so I think that says a lot as to why it's not a winter route.
    Well Kevin Toland, chief executive of DAA said some 2.14 million passengers passed through Cork airport in 2014, a fall of 5 per cent from 2.26 million passengers in 2013, due in large part to a number of its central European routes being transferred to Shannon airport (Irish Times).

Then “Approximately 100,000 passengers were going through Cork and they are now going to Shannon because of the deals that can be offered. That is what DAA officials are saying behind the scenes,” Micheál Martin said. (Irish Examiner)

However if we look at the 2014 central European CSO figures for Cork and Shannon, it shows that Cork did lose 102,000 passengers but Shannon only gained 55,000.

So I wonder where did the other 47,000 central European passengers from Cork go to? To Dublin perhaps?

In fairness to Cork, the sooner they are out of the control of the DAA, the better off they will be.

In my opinion the real villain is Michael O’Leary as he has been trying for years to extract a better deal from the DAA on charges, particularly in Dublin.

As long as the DAA has a lion’s share of the Irish market they won’t budge.

So O’Leary targets the smaller airports in the group i.e. Shannon in the past and Cork now, in order to indirectly pressurise the DAA.

I think he was saying the majority but I think if you look at what the likes of extra bucket and spade routes gained form SNN you may make up the other 50k. You are right about O'Leary however SNN have fallen for it. Would love to see how long the contract he has is for!

. . . Munich had lows of 33%/37% in the last few weeks.
    This summer route only restarted 4 weeks ago, what statistical (33%/37%) source are you quoting here?

Yes it would be interesting to see a full breakdown. However if, as suggested in today's newspaper article, this €38m (rental income) is being diverted towards the airport annually it is dishonest to suggest that it is not being taken from the public purse to facilitate the airport. Whether it is rental income or anything else it is public taxpayer money which could surely be put to better use elsewhere.
    Shannon Commercial Properties’ operating profit from continuing activities and before impairments for the full financial year 2014 amounted to €0.6 million versus a loss of €1.6 million in 2013.

The Annual Report & Accounts 2014 for the Shannon Group can be seen here.

This summer route only restarted 4 weeks ago, what statistical (33%/37%) source are you quoting here?

Yes, very poor start for a route, it April, you may expect those number in January/February. As for the source can't disclose publicly but they are accurate. The CSO stats for the month will show the low % being carried to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement