Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 HD Testing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's a choice of watching utter crap in SD or HD. I'm afraid it won't look better either way. I have Freesat and Saeorview, sometimes I go to the Irish channels on a Friday or Saturday night. Once I filled three buckets with vomit, I go back to UK telly.

The reason so many are interested in TV3 in HD is because they beat out RTÉ to the RWC coverage this autumn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The reason so many are interested in TV3 in HD is because they beat out RTÉ to the RWC coverage this autumn.

Ah, of course, not following sports I would have missed that. To me the question "should I watch a bit of TV3" is about the same as "should I take a hammer and bash it into my own head for half an hour". :P

Ah, of course, not following sports I would have missed that. To me the question "should I watch a bit of TV3" is about the same as "should I take a hammer and bash it into my own head for half an hour". :P

The last time I would have watched TV3 would of been the last rugby World Cup they had in 2007 - which was a bloody disaster from an Irish point of view.

I too would otherwise not want to watch TV3. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Be interesting to see what quality HD TV3 will broadcast on. I find their regular SD broadcasts to be noticeably lower quality to other SD channels on Sky, I'm a little worried about the RWC at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

dulpit wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what quality HD TV3 will broadcast on. I find their regular SD broadcasts to be noticeably lower quality to other SD channels on Sky, I'm a little worried about the RWC at this stage...
    ITV1 HD is available to everyone with a sky/FTA box and ITV4 HD for those with a HD subscription... that's where i'll be going anyway if its not up to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

irishfeen wrote: »
    ITV1 HD is available to everyone with a sky/FTA box and ITV4 HD for those with a HD subscription... that's where i'll be going anyway if its not up to scratch.

True enough, but I still prefer watching Irish coverage of the Irish team...

dulpit wrote: »
    True enough, but I still prefer watching Irish coverage of the Irish team...
    Ball is in TV3's court, if its below par people will just go to ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

So I imagine the extra layer of encryption will be on this channel unlike RTE, Setanta & BT HD channels?

So I imagine the extra layer of encryption will be on this channel unlike RTE, Setanta & BT HD channels?
    We have no idea, the testing channel is now not clearing with a HD sub either so we will have to wait and see what encryption system they use and whether it will be part of the "Sky HD Pack".

irishfeen wrote: »
    We have no idea, the testing channel is now not clearing with a HD sub either so we will have to wait and see what encryption system they use and whether it will be part of the "Sky HD Pack".

Thanks, Have a feeling it will be just like UTV Ire HD & only available on Sky HD Boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Thanks, Have a feeling it will be just like UTV Ire HD & only available on Sky HD Boxes.

The whole HD thing on the Sky EPG for us is a bit of a mess (especially for those without the HD sub).

No RTE1 HD
    BBC 2 HD @ 143 and BBC 1 HD @ 215 (without the HD sub) - being the most major annoyances.

Why can't they do as per RTE2 HD (HD on 102 if using HD box) and change the BBC HD channels to be 141/142 if the box is HD....(surely the % of HD boxes must be very high now?). Why also include RTE2 SD @ 115 at all for the HD box any more either? How many people watch that instead of 102...? It's handy if your HDD is out of space but most HD boxes now would take some filling.

I can only imagine they have to continue that as some sort of PSB commitment...

MBSnr wrote: »
    The whole HD thing on the Sky EPG for us is a bit of a mess (especially for those without the HD sub).

No RTE1 HD
    BBC 2 HD @ 143 and BBC 1 HD @ 215 (without the HD sub) - being the most major annoyances.

Why can't they do as per RTE2 HD (HD on 102 if using HD box) and change the BBC HD channels to be 141/142 if the box is HD....(surely the % of HD boxes must be very high now?). Why also include RTE2 SD @ 115 at all for the HD box any more either? How many people watch that instead of 102...? It's handy if your HDD is out of space but most HD boxes now would take some filling.

I can only imagine they have to continue that as some sort of PSB commitment...

Glad I don't & won't ever use a sky box so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

Have TV3 said what date they will launch the HD channel?

dubmick wrote: »
    I think they are just giving the generic "August" answer - Irish HD card now not clearing the test channel (3881) for the last few days... behind encryption they could very well be continuing with testing and uplinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

dubmick wrote: »

They have to have it in place for the rugby world cup so mid-September at the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

galtee boy wrote: »
    TV3 in HD on Saorview ? Snowballs chance in hell !

No TV 3 HD on saorview, what a disgrace, why are they doing this. If they don't go he on saorview then they can shove it up there arse.
    This is not the first time I complained about this, just sick of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

No TV 3 HD on saorview, what a disgrace, why are they doing this. If they don't go he on saorview then they can shove it up there arse.
    This is not the first time I complained about this, just sick of the whole thing.

Unfortunately they were never going to pay the carriage fees and have no obligation to. All games on ITV HD anyway and quality will probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Dave..M wrote: »
    All games on ITV HD anyway and quality will probably be better.

Picture for sure.... but not the commentary!! Alright Andy Townsend....:D Although he's left ITV now hasn't he..?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

MBSnr wrote: »
    Picture for sure.... but not the commentary!! Alright Andy Townsend....:D Although he's left ITV now hasn't he..?

Andy Townsend commentating on the rugby, classic stuff there!

I have the radio via my av receiver so am covered but agreed issue for others, would still take ITV HD commentary over the blurry mush that will be TV3 SD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭corm500

No TV3 HD without paying for it???
    Ever get the feeling this broadcaster really wants to fail?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they were never going to pay the carriage fees and have no obligation to. All games on ITV HD anyway and quality will probably be better.

ITV coverage of rugby is generally rubbish, certainly has been for previous world cups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

corm500 wrote: »
    No TV3 HD without paying for it???
    Ever get the feeling this broadcaster really wants to fail?

They used to pay about €3m for analogue coverage but now crib about paying for HD @ €2.5m.
    They got a 'free' upgrade to terrestial for 3E - are they grateful? No of course they are not.
    They got €80m written off - are they grateful? No of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ITV coverage of rugby is generally rubbish, certainly has been for previous world cups.

They will show the matches though which is all most people will care about.

As you mention rubbish coverage, have you ever seen TV3 cover sport? I don't think they ever got it right.

lertsnim wrote: »

As you mention rubbish coverage, have you ever seen TV3 cover sport? I don't think they ever got it right.

No, TV3 are usually crap too, but if I'm watching Ireland in the world cup then I want Irish analysis, and TV3 to their credit have a decent line up of pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

lertsnim wrote: »

Rubbish coverage, terrible graphics, and that brutal commentator.......whats his name.....ah yes Trevor Welch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I've always liked their World Cup coverage, but it's only ever succeeded by borrowing large parts of other broadcasters teams. They will be borrowing most of BT's and a good chunk of Sky's rugby team this time around (sadly Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes are being split up, the former to ITV and the latter to TV3). BT of course doesn't need its rugby team as the PRL season won't be starting till October because of the World Cup, whereas both the Pro 12 and Top 14 continue to play.

No, TV3 are usually crap too, but if I'm watching Ireland in the world cup then I want Irish analysis, and TV3 to their credit have a decent line up of pundits.
    would still take ITV HD commentary over the blurry mush that will be TV3 SD!!!

I'll watch the games on ITV HD for the picture/commentary, but maybe switch to TV3 for the studio analysis.

So if no one wants to watch TV3, even the world cup, what's the big deal?

And I'm right in saying that there is no indication at all that you'll need the HD pack to watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

I'll watch the games on ITV HD for the picture/commentary, but maybe switch to TV3 for the studio analysis.

For us guys with UPC boxes or Saorview, we only have signals from UTV Ireland, which presumably will be showing repeats of Jeremy Kyle or some such....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

tv3 hd is now testing with audio and video looks much better even though its ireland am upscaled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement