Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 HD Testing

Options
  • 21-07-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Testing on 11.758 H, 29.500, 3/4, DVB-S2, QPSK (3881)

Now carrying EPG data for 'TV3 HD'. Picture is not what's on TV3 currently. No audio as yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Now carrying EPG data for 'TV3 HD'. Picture is not what's on TV3 currently. No audio as yet.

Keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Bleeding sky again subsidizing HD channels :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Free to air or sky sub needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Free to air or sky sub needed?
    At the moment it's showing Sky Premiere HD so you will need a HD sub but once it switches to TV3HD you may be able to watch it without a HD sub. As TV3 receive funding from the BAI and holds PSB status it would be outrageous if it was put behind a HD pay wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

natashaob6 wrote: »
    At the moment it's showing Sky Premiere HD so you will need a HD sub but once it switches to TV3HD you may be able to watch it without a HD sub. As TV3 receive funding from the BAI and holds PSB status it would be outrageous if it was put behind a HD pay wall.

TV3hd on sky should appear around 19th aug for the new season of uefa champions league live football or the 13th Aug 2015 for the exclusive uefa super cup game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

This is for the Rugby World Cup in Sept which TV3 have the rights for in Ireland. They said they hoped to have TV3 HD up and running for it. TV3/3e have lost the Europa League coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

Rte is a psb but has been behind a pay wall for years??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

irishchris wrote: »
    Rte is a psb but has been behind a pay wall for years??

Not quite what he means I believe. RTE2 HD is 'free' as a basic Sky sub will allow you to view it. Hopefully TV3 HD is the same and will not require a Sky HD sub to view it....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Thanks. Please let us know when TV3 actually appears on this "3881" channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Any news on saorview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Joo0 wrote: »
    Any news on saorview?

TV3 in HD on Saorview ? Snowballs chance in hell !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Public service obligations don't extend to HD channels though. It's surely between TV3 and Sky how it gets distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Looks like it is on "normal" HD encription, meaning it won't open on non-skyHD boxes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Which cannot output a HD signal anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

icdg wrote: »
    Which cannot output a HD signal anyway?

I meant non-sky boxes ie VU's which use valid HD subs but won't decrypt the HD channel. Unlike "un-normal" Sky HD encryption used by RTE HD and the BT sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tomslick wrote: »
    I meant non-sky boxes ie VU's which use valid HD subs but won't decrypt the HD channel. Unlike "un-normal" Sky HD encryption used by RTE HD and the BT sports.

very dodgy ground there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishgeo wrote: »
    very dodgy ground there.

It's not dodgy if you are using a valid subscription. Not everybody with a VU+ is a pirate.

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's not dodgy if you are using a valid subscription. Not everybody with a VU+ is a pirate.

your breaking the terms of your sky contract regardless.

mainly.
    5. The Viewing Card
    (a) The Viewing Card acts as a key so that you can unlock (unencrypt) encrypted digital satellite services (such as
    the Service). Having a Viewing Card does not mean you have a right to receive the Service. You are only entitled to
    one Viewing Card per Sky digital Subscription.
    (b) SSSL continues to own the Viewing Card after it is sent to you and, if SSSL asks you to, you must return it after
    this Contract ends or when a replacement is sent to you.
    (c) Only you may use the Viewing Card which SSSL sends you. You can only use the Viewing Card at your Address
    with the Box for which it is first authorised by SSSL
    to receive encrypted digital satellite services. You must
    only use it for private viewing purposes. You must not use it for any commercial or business purpose or in any
    premises other than your Address.
    (d) The Viewing Card must not be used outside the country (either UK or Republic of

Hardly the dodgy area you were hinting at.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Hardly the dodgy area you were hinting at.

nope but the talk of either way is banned here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Bleeding sky again subsidizing HD channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Bleeding sky again subsidizing HD channels

Sky is a business. If, as we suspect, that they are providing a HD service for TV3 at little or no cost to TV3, then they are perfectly entitled to make sure that only Sky HD subscribers can access the channel. He who pays the piper, calls the tune ! What TV3 should be doing in addition, is providing this HD service on Saorview too, but they won't pay 2RN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

galtee boy wrote: »
    Sky is a business. If, as we suspect, that they are providing a HD service for TV3 at little or no cost to TV3, then they are perfectly entitled to make sure that only Sky HD subscribers can access the channel. He who pays the piper, calls the tune ! What TV3 should be doing in addition, is providing this HD service on Saorview too, but they won't pay 2RN.
    With Liberty Global more or less the new owners of TV3 maybe they will have a more positive attitude towards Saorview and launch TV3 HD on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

TV3 will be in trouble with BAI funded programming if the broadcast it in SD or HD behind the paywall. RTÉ tried it with RTÉ2HD initially but complaints to the BAI revesed the decision ... I think it might take official complaints this time round too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With UPC owning TV3 now is it not likely it will be available on their platform first for a while as they try to woo customers over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

murpho999 wrote: »
    With UPC owning TV3 now is it not likely it will be available on their platform first for a while as they try to woo customers over?

Not everybody has access to UPC cable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not think TV3 HD is any more attractive than TV3 SD. I do not seeing its availability in HD affecting their subscription decisions in anyway.

In analogue days, TV3 did not even make their signal available to 20% of the population, so what is new?

If it had decent content that might work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I do not think TV3 HD is any more attractive than TV3 SD. I do not seeing its availability in HD affecting their subscription decisions in anyway.

In analogue days, TV3 did not even make their signal available to 20% of the population, so what is new?

It's a choice of watching utter crap in SD or HD. I'm afraid it won't look better either way. I have Freesat and Saeorview, sometimes I go to the Irish channels on a Friday or Saturday night. Once I filled three buckets with vomit, I go back to UK telly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They don't own them yet and the plans for TV3 HD were in place before the deal was done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement