Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE stoops to an new low.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Odysseus wrote: »
    Ah sure, you expect that. I had a feeling that someone would actually post that when I was typing up that post. So then I thought fcuk knows what they will say when they hear I'm finished for the day.

But don't worry little dears, I put my hours in every week, so may that will help to stop you all from getting sick.

Fair enough, once you do you weekly hours. I was just wondering about productivity in the hse, if breaks could be taken every hour. BTW nice way to refer to the people you are caring for

Why is that? Because if it is staff he has to be right? And if it is patients he is wrong?

Well he said 'expect everything and contribute nothing'. People who pay taxes do contribute, just because it is not always spent properly doesn't mean people have contributed nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

crusher000 wrote: »
    So those that can pay will be saved and those that have no money will be turned away to die ?

Health Service is the name, don't expect it for free but peoples health should take priority over all economic debt etc.

If you are working and have income below a certain threshold you have a medical card. If you have no income and your entire family is on social you will have a medical card. If your earning too much to get a medical card surely the old robbing peter to pay paul applies? If it's a difference between paying for chemo or paying your half yearly bins which has priorty? If the HSE doesn't get money and is chasing people for it thousands will suffer due to cutbacks because the HSE can't get money from patients. I know it may seem unfair but this is no different than going a private professional who requires payment upfront and you'd gladly pay him but you think it's unfair for a government body to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Think this had been totally blown out of proportion by the Indo. People pay upfront for medication they receive from a pharmacy without questioning it, why is it such a big difference to be expected to pay upfront for medication they receive from a hospital?

Because staff in hospitals may be getting an increment, whereas the ones in the pharmacy may not get a raise apparently, I think!!!:rolleyes:

Oh and its the Indo, so it was always going to be blown out of proportion its what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Boombastic wrote: »
    Fair enough, once you do you weekly hours. I was just wondering about productivity in the hse, if breaks could be taken every hour. BTW nice way to refer to the people you are caring for

Well he said 'expect everything and contribute nothing'. People who pay taxes do contribute, just because it is not always spent properly doesn't mean people have contributed nothing

I really doubt, actually I'm pretty sure none of my patients are posting here on this thread, they are the people I "care" for, as you said.

Edit: I am so happy that you don't mind once I cover all my hours, at least I will be able to sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I'm pretty sure this story was reported incorrectly. There was a woman from the Irish Cancer Association on the radio this morning explaining that they offer a financial aid service to those who can't afford the €75, but she also mentioned the HSE don't actually demand the money up front but they make it clear to you that you will be billed and you will have to pay it. There have been letters from debt collection agencies sent to patients after they've gotten the treatment and haven't paid the bills. That was the main point of the story.

The charge also isn't a new charge, it's always been there but had been waived by hospitals in the past. Obviously they can't afford to do that any more. Bit of a storm in a teacup when you consider that you won't be denied treatment for not having the money on you, although I'm sure letters from debt collectors aren't exactly helpful to someone recovering from chemo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Proposition:|Bill people before treatment.|Bill people after treatment.
    Payment Rate:|Probably high(er).|Probably low(er).
    Patient Stress Incurred:|Stress to come up with money before OR stress to come up with money after OR stress when faced with debt collectors after if failure to pay. Third option increases likelyhood of lower stress levels as patient has more options.|Stress to come up with money after OR stress when faced with debt collectors after if failure to pay. Increases likelyhood of higher stress levels as patient is more restricted in options.
    Individual patient expenditure:|€75|€75
    Patient lives in the sticks, considerations?:|Nothing specific to billing difference.|Nothing specific to billing difference.
    Staff get annual increments:|Nothing specific to billing difference.|Nothing specific to billing difference.
    Cancer patients have lots of extra costs:|Nothing specific to billing difference.|Nothing specific to billing difference.
    Should people pay for treatment:?|Nothing specific to billing difference.|Nothing specific to billing difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Ghandee wrote: »
    To quote some of the govt fan boys, of which there are many on this site.

"you know about the deficit right?"

Ooh, and "you realise the govt are borrowing this cash to fund theses services?"

When things got tight in my job a few years ago, everyone was subject to an 18% cut in salary, overtime was banned, and expenses were cut to the absolute bare minimum.

I protested, my end of the business involves sales, i unsuccessfully argued that my sales figures were increasing, even through the recession, but I was told 'everybody is pissing in the one pot'.

Some in our over protected sector need to wake up to the fact that what used to be there, isn't there any longer.

Pay can be cut for all in the PS and that would be fair. Cutting increments for those still on the agreed scale is unfair.

You'll attract the 'we took a 15% pay cut crowd' (includes the UPC), while they conveniently forget with the other hand the are receiving increments.................but then you probably wouldn't understand the pay structures:D

You quite clearly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

They are 'insisting' on up-front payments.

Not sure how you've ever insisted on something but generally it involves the threat of not receiving what it is you've been asked to pay for.

Otherwise why the change? If it's going to be status quo and no one will be denied treatment and everyone who can't pay it then will be able to pay later then what's this all about?

Either it's an empty threat and the HSE are clowns, or it's a scheme designed to heap even more pressure on cancer patients and the HSE are clowns. I'll let you decide.

Or it could just be that it will save some money and the HSE are showing some economic management. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, no-one is being denied treatment through inability/unwillingness to pay.

Fair enough, once you do you weekly hours.

You would nearly think he had to answer to you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

pharmoeconomics = money grabbing of the worst kind

trying to make money of terminally ill people disgusting

(don't think hse does that the global system creates it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Of course, everybody should get everything they ever need, ever healthcare wise regardless of cost.

So you don't want higher taxes, but want higher spending on medical care from the magic money tree that makes up the difference in the balance of public spending.
    Mayor Quimby: Are these morons getting dumber or just louder?
    Quimby's Aide: Dumber, sir.

woodoo wrote: »
    You would nearly think he had to answer to you :D

Sadly enough that seems common here, some seem to think public servant actually equals personal servant!!

Sadly enough that seems common here, some seem to think public servant actually equals personal servant!!

Whats even sadder is that some think that taxpayers money is their own personal purse to which they are entitled too...maybe the sick children should hand their communion money straight over to the public sector to let them have their parties, sure their going to die anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It's a harsh reality that resources are limited, it would be great if everything we needed grew on trees. But they don't so we have to try mange our resources as best we can and that means not giving away scarce valuable goods for free. Otherwise increasing numbers would needlessly die. That 75 charge could be the difference between many lives, so it's important we try to have it paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

What are you willing to give up in order to have a completely free health system?

Whats even sadder is that some think that taxpayers money is their own personal purse to which they are entitled too...maybe the sick children should hand their communion money straight over to the public sector to let them have their parties, sure their going to die anyway

This is the cancer thread, the one about the party is a different one. Thankfully though we don't have to get every expense passed by someone who feels their opinion is the correct one, merely because they pay taxes.

Since we are on about parties I am glad a Gov Dept has looked after pensioners for once. What is it with AH and this lets get the pensioners recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

My father underwent gruelling chemo treatment as a medical card patient. He got the best of care and he's still alive three years later. Money would have been the last thing on our minds. And we would have gladly paid €7500, not to mention €75. We just wanted him to pull through. Thankfully he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

You would happily contribute the 75 euro because you have it. In 12 months when you have no job and no money I wonder will you still be 'happy' to contribute? Oh I'm sure you'll just be over the fúcking moon.

You're sitting here pontificating that cancer patients who can't afford it must have been living the champagne lifestyle having kids they can't afford and therefore they should suffer and die. I've never read such utter shíte in all my days on Boards.

Health expenditure is emotive stuff.
    If you can't afford €75, you're probably entitled to a medical card. 85% of Ireland's pharma bill is paid from the public purse.

• Advertisement

This is the cancer thread, the one about the party is a different one. Thankfully though we don't have to get every expense passed by someone who feels their opinion is the correct one, merely because they pay taxes.

Since we are on about parties I am glad a Gov Dept has looked after pensioners for once. What is it with AH and this lets get the pensioners recently.

Funny they can afford motivational coaches for useless managers

My father underwent gruelling chemo treatment as a medical card patient. He got the best of care and he's still alive three years later. Money would have been the last thing on our minds. And we would have gladly paid €7500, not to mention €75. We just wanted him to pull through. Thankfully he did.

I sure you would most families would, provoided they have it of course. That is the big question, what happens if you don't have it?

I would very much doubt that anyone patient would be denied treatment; others think different, but I really doubt it, this is not the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some people have linked PRSI with healthcare spending.

Please note that healthcare in Irl is financed by taxes, not PRSI.

The one small exception is some limited optical and dental care, which is paid for by the Social Insurance Fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although everybody living in Irl is entitled to (more or less) free hosp care, there are 4 basic fees for healthcare in Irl:

(1) GP fees, free for 40% of pop with med card, otherwise you pay
    (2) A&E fee = 100, unless you have a GP referral letter or a med card
    (3) Hosp charge of 75 per day, up to 750 max pa
    (4) Drugs up to 132, now 144 pm, unless you have a med card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I imagine they do because people simply don't pay up?

An increasing number of people simply refuse to pay for anything they don't have to pay upfront for these days unless there is a very real threat of refusal of service.

I know cancer is a very sensitive subject - my mom died from it btw - but if its not cancer its something else people would get up in arms over if HSE refused treatment without pay.
    Where do you draw the line? Are we going to give free healthcare simply to everyone on the grounds of them refusing to pay and the idea of 'how could you refuse treatment to sick people'?

The reality is people simply won't pay for anything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Sure they've increments to pay, can be wasting money on those scummy sick people

You broke the code. What to do about the HSE spending overrun while the gravy train rolls on? Yeah, let's get the cancer patients...look at 'em, lording it over the rest of us with their fancy tumors...etc...

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Mucco wrote: »
    What are you willing to give up in order to have a completely free health system?

My health insurance. ;)

Oh wait, it would need to be free and efficient though.

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It would be your only worry if you didn't have €75.

If someone didn't have €75 then they wouldn't be denied the treatment as they more than likely have a medical card and even if they didn't have a card they still wouldn't be denied the treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Mucco wrote: »
    Health expenditure is emotive stuff.
    If you can't afford €75, you're probably entitled to a medical card. 85% of Ireland's pharma bill is paid from the public purse.
    ireland has the highest levels of personal debt in the OECD, mainly down to mortgage debt, if you already cant afford your basic bills, where do you find €75 a pop for chemo while off sick?

• Advertisement

CJC999 wrote: »
    If someone didn't have €75 then they wouldn't be denied the treatment as they more than likely have a medical card and even if they didn't have a card they still wouldn't be denied the treatment.

Just chased by debt collectors when they leave the hospital

Advertisement