Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE stoops to an new low.

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cancer-patients-are-asked-to-pay-up-front-for-chemo-3327217.html

It is hard to believe that people are being asked to pay up front to recieve life saving chemotherapy!
    These outpatients are being asked to pay up front for chemotherapy treatment at €75 a go.
    "This is happening in Dublin and outside Dublin in other hospitals.

"They are being asked to pay immediately. This appears to be an HSE directive sent out to all hospitals. It's not just one or two hospitals."

How low can the Health Service Executive stoop?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's the issue :confused: Completely misleading title.
    This is normal.
    If you are not covered by either medical card or health insurance, you have to pay some of the cost and the rest is subsidised by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

issue will increase as more and more people can't afford private health insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's the issue :confused: Completely misleading title.
    This is normal.
    If you are not covered by either medical card or health insurance, you have to pay some of the cost and the rest is subsidised by the State.

The issue is demanding payment up front, it amounts to pay us now or die!
    It was previously the case that you were billed AFTER the treatment, with so many people now in deep financial trouble it is unjustifiable that they are to be charged per treatment in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

€75 for a chemotherapy session sounds like a bargain tbh.

Confab wrote: »
    €75 for a chemotherapy session sounds like a bargain tbh.
    You complete a**e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It was previously the case that you were billed AFTER the treatment, with so many people now in deep financial trouble it is unjustifiable that they are to be charged per treatment in advance!

What is the huge difference between paying for it in advance, as opposed to be being billed for it afterwards? You still have to pay it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is completely justifiable. The client is fully aware that this is the way the system operates.
    The HSE is also in financil trouble, why should they be paying more to chase up debtors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Do you not think this is the reason they are doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Sergeant wrote: »
    What is the huge difference between paying for it in advance, as opposed to be being billed for it afterwards? You still have to pay it.

What is PRSI for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Many people run away from bills. Was still common place before the recession. Now many people feel like they have a right to ignore bills, that is the worrying bit.

• Advertisement

crusher000 wrote: »
    You complete a**e

I wasn't joking. Chemo drugs are very expensive. They could charge people the full whack if they want. Why should people get free treatment if they don't have a medical card or private health insurance?

The difference is that if you have a chemo appointment tomorrow and you don't have €75 you dont get the life saving treatment:mad:

mountai wrote: »
    What is PRSI for then.

The difference between the actual cost of the treatment and the €75 the patient is charged presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wasn't joking. Chemo drugs are very expensive. They could charge people the full whack if they want. Why should people get free treatment if they don't have a medical card or private health insurance?

Because they may likely die without it?

Do you not think this is the reason they are doing it?
    You think a pay now or die attitude is reasonable, fair, or even acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Probably to do with while you are on Chemo you are out of work and have no income.
    Once/if you recover, you will have an income stream again and can start to pay down.

So those that can pay will be saved and those that have no money will be turned away to die ?

Health Service is the name, don't expect it for free but peoples health should take priority over all economic debt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

The HSE can't win with this one.

If they ask to pay upfront then it's a reaction similar to the OP, where people say "HSE are such money grabbing bastards, stopping people from getting threatment because they won't pay €75"

If they don't ask for upfront payment and a bill is sent out. People don't pay the bill and the HSE have to get in some form of debt collector, "HSE are money grabbing bastards, I'm in chemo and they are stressing me out sending me bills"

Yes, that's exactly what I believe - :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I work in a cancer hospice. I'd hate to tell you that some of the pain relief they offer is based on how old you are and your chance of survival because of the cost of the treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I work in a cancer hospice. I'd hate to tell you that some of the pain relief they offer is based on how old you are and your chance of survival because of the cost of the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Basic pharmacoeconomics.

matrim wrote: »
    The HSE can't win with this one.

If they ask to pay upfront then it's a reaction similar to the OP, where people say "HSE are such money grabbing bastards, stopping people from getting threatment because they won't pay €75"

If they don't ask for upfront payment and a bill is sent out. People don't pay the bill and the HSE have to get in some form of debt collector, "HSE are money grabbing bastards, I'm in chemo and they are stressing me out sending me bills"

Bills were previously issued after treatment, I don't ever remember complaints.
    I mean this isn't for something minor it's for Chemo ffs!
    it is certainly concerning the Irish Cancer Society
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-cancer-society-worried-by-chemotherapy-prices-578104.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Such an ignorant, obnoxious attitude even by AH standards. Only the extremely rich could afford to pay cash for Chemo. My Dad's runs at about 110 grand for the full course. That's just for the Chemo - not the other 22 drugs per day he takes to combat the side-effects of the drugs to treat the side-effects of the drugs to treat the side-effects of the chemo.

Only the extreme minority of people receiving Chemo could afford to pay the full whack so in reality what your proposing is "The health service could just let these people die a slow, horrifyingly painful death if they want".

It's always the healthy, employed people with disposable income that harp on about health welfare. I hope your situation never deteriorates in the same manner as those currently reliant on Chemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I seriously doubt that people would be allowed to die because they couldn't afford the €75. Just another excuse for some to wallow in indignant outrage. By the looks of things, it's the default position of a fair proportion of people here. We're becoming a nation of Victor Meldrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Einhard wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that people would be allowed to die because they couldn't afford the €75. Just another excuse for some to wallow in indignant outrage. By the looks of things, it's the default position of a fair proportion of people here. We're becoming a nation of Victor Meldrews.

I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The difference is that if you have a chemo appointment tomorrow and you don't have €75 you dont get the life saving treatment:mad:

Has anyone been turned away?

I don't believe it! :D

But seriously it is causing causing concern according to the Irish Cancer Society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Joeduffyitus.

• Advertisement

Only the extremely rich could afford to pay cash for Chemo. My Dad's runs at about 110 grand for the full course. That's just for the Chemo - not the other 22 drugs per day he takes to combat the side-effects of the drugs to treat the side-effects of the drugs to treat the side-effects of the chemo.

Only the extreme minority of people receiving Chemo could afford to pay the full whack so in reality what your proposing is "The health service could just let these people die a slow, horrifyingly painful death if they want".

What? Where did I ever say any of that? All I said was that people should not expect any sort of treatment to be free. You've completely blown my post out of proportion. If your dad has PHI, a medical card or can afford the heavily subsidised €75 per treatment then he doesn't need to worry about the €110k, and the Drugs Payment Scheme, his medical card or PHI will look after most of the drugs expenses.

The point - medical treatment will never be free, the €75 is a standard charge and was being charged well before the Indo started whining.

Advertisement