Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

pogsick wrote: »
    Was in town today, this the view from the Patrick street side

Quick progress. What's the update on Grand Parade side?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Does anyone know what is happening with the seats from the cinema and any idea how i could get one.?

Lots of memories of going there while growing up so it would be great to have something in my apartment from there.

I'm pretty sure they were removed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Quick progress. What's the update on Grand Parade side?

Only one building demolished on grand parade on left of the cinema as you look,being used for access to remove rubble etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Amazing how fast the progress is. Suspect that the front of the cinema and the Central Shoe Store could be down with a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭thomil

Amazing how fast the progress is. Suspect that the front of the cinema and the Central Shoe Store could be down with a month.

I've got a feeling that the cinema will be the last to fall. From what I've seen from the other buildings on the site, they were in a rather poor state, and it didn't take much to tear them down. A withering stare would probably have been enough ;)
    The cinema on the other hand seems to be a rather solid building, probably a rebar concrete construction, which is a rather tougher nut to crack. But that's just my amateur assessment.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

thomil wrote: »
    I've got a feeling that the cinema will be the last to fall. From what I've seen from the other buildings on the site, they were in a rather poor state, and it didn't take much to tear them down. A withering stare would probably have been enough ;)
    The cinema on the other hand seems to be a rather solid building, probably a rebar concrete construction, which is a rather tougher nut to crack. But that's just my amateur assessment.

Most of the cinema has already been demolished. Certainly the old main screen area is fully gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

We need some drone footage of the site! :)

We need some drone footage of the site! :)

someone has to make it happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Would there be demand to see picture updates of the site every now and again? See what is happening with the site in terms of demolition and building?

Would there be demand to see picture updates of the site every now and again? See what is happening with the site in terms of demolition and building?

This would be seriously helpful.... I'm no longer living in cork and I really like to see the update of my Beloved City.
    Nothing I enjoy more than when I'm home than to just walk around the city during the day and then in the evening when the traffic is easier to take a drive around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

I'd love that. I don't live in the city so only get up there now and then. I'm going to put up pics/ videos of progress of demolition also

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

someone has to make it happen ;)

I have an Idea, How about a web cam nearby to live stream progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

eh2010 wrote: »

I can't tell where that laneway is. Which shop front was knocked down?

The lane was always there just past bk,a smoke store and a discount shop were knocked.

Hoarding going up on both sides of the site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What's the estimated completion date?

Finished december 2016 and open in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Finished taking down the old buildings to the left and they've started on the foundations in that sections it looks like.

They're just about to start on the facade of the cinema.

Top half of the building gone.

People calling it a crying shame on Facebook. Personally think it was one of the ugliest buildings in Cork. A red brick monstrosity. All of its redeeming features were destroyed in its late 80s rebuild.

I'd even say it was uglier than the old tax office. At least that's a key example of brutalist architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Top half of the building gone.

People calling it a crying shame on Facebook. Personally think it was one of the ugliest buildings in Cork. A red brick monstrosity. All of its redeeming features were destroyed in its late 80s rebuild.

I'd even say it was uglier than the old tax office. At least that's a key example of brutalist architecture.

That building has been a blight on Grand Parade for well over a decade. There is nothing redeeming or attractive about keeping it as part of the new development.

Bacchus wrote: »
    That building has been a blight on Grand Parade for well over a decade. There is nothing redeeming or attractive about keeping it as part of the new development.

I quite like the redevelopment. Very Art Deco and fits in very well with the rest of the street. It's design allowing for a flow of people through from Patrick Street will help the Grand Parade come to life again.

Took this today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

it really is a big site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Photo this afternoon. Almost all down now, including the former Central Shoe Store buildings.

Advertisement