Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭

Simple Question plain and clear. Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency? not so much to say on the same ground as let say the CIA or the KGB, but an intelliegence agency so that Ireland knows whats going on around the world and isn't kept in the dark

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Branch

That's the Garda unit that deals with national security. Biggins handles any "other" operations that need doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Simple Question plain and clear. Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency? not so much to say on the same ground as let say the CIA or the KGB, but an intelliegence agency so that Ireland knows whats going on around the world and isn't kept in the dark

Would you want our government knowing what's going on in the world? We recalled every last bit of pork because of a tiny, tiny chance of someone getting sick... Imagine how we'd react to something actually dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm not sure if they DOSE or DOSENT

If you're their leader trying to leak their existence to the masses you're not making a good first impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

RTE... they be hardcore....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Would you want our government knowing what's going on in the world? We recalled every last bit of pork because of a tiny, tiny chance of someone getting sick... Imagine how we'd react to something actually dangerous.

You mean like Terrorism? aren't the known terrorists who have links to Al Queda living in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yes, Special Branch and Military Intelligence(Oxymoron). (AFAIK our MI is called G2, but don't quote me on that!!!)

dose  [dohs] Show IPA Pronunciation
    noun, verb, dosed, dos⋅ing.
    –noun
    1. a quantity of medicine prescribed to be taken at one time.
    2. a substance, situation, or quantity of anything analogous to medicine, esp. of something disagreeable: Failing the exam was a hard dose to swallow.
    3. an amount of sugar added in the production of champagne.
    4. Physics.
    a. Also called absorbed dose. the quantity of ionizing radiation absorbed by a unit mass of matter, esp. living tissue: measured in gray or rad.
    b. exposure dose.
    5. Slang. a case of gonorrhea or syphilis.
    –verb (used with object)
    6. to administer in or apportion for doses.
    7. to give a dose of medicine to.
    8. to add sugar to (champagne) during production.
    –verb (used without object)
    9. to take a dose of medicine.

And probably not.
    Yes, Special Branch and Military Intelligence(Oxymoron). (AFAIK our MI is called G2, but don't quote me on that!!!)

Oh .. sh1t, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

yer man run_to_da_hills is in charge of it, isn't he?

The_citizen is his enforcer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It'd be down on you like a tonne of bricks if there was:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Its not so much as an agency but as an office that keeps the Irish military advised as to on going situations or ones that might arise.
    We are talking here of G2 - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G2_(Republic_of_Ireland)

The office keeps minsters and the head current twat apprised of various situations, etc.
    He once in a while imposes scenarios to mull over, to them and they come back with answers he usually don't want to hear and goes off and does his own feckin thing.
    There is some other things they do but that is beyond the normal scope that can be publicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There are not any secret agencies in Ireland. So don't ask questions about this again.

Or else...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

F.U.B.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I think the last budget estimate was around 1million for this department. So thats 1 Aston with hidden machine guns, a mobile phone (sponsored by Nokia), a small office in Glasnevin and a hotline to Cowen (the most unbelievable part of this thread) in case of national emergency.....if only Cowen had a few of those phones on his desk for national emergencies, like the one we're in now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They'd just recall all the terrorists.

*Boom*

Problem sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Dont the G2 lads carry Uzis as standard ?
    Ive also heard that the G2 have had run ins and power struggles with top brass in the Special Branch on occasion.
    AFAIK they are heavily dependent on MI5/6 intelligence to find out what exactly is going on in the world of spooks and subversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

G2 look after the Int. side of things and they're very capable at their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

RATM wrote: »
    Dont the G2 lads carry Uzis as standard ?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Poccington wrote: »
    No.

If not Uzis then what?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Ireland is wide open to attack by terrorists. Garda special branch is a joke - bunch of culchie knobs from Carlow fiddling around with a PC, trying to figure out how to set up their dial-up internet connection.

I reckon I could assasinate the Taoiseach tomorrow if I wanted. And theres nothing our "intelligence agencies" can do about it. Even if I express my intentions openly on an internet forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

phenomenon wrote: »
    Ireland is wide open to attack by terrorists. Garda special branch is a joke - bunch of culchie knobs from Carlow fiddling around with a PC, trying to figure out how to set up their dial-up internet connection.

I reckon I could assasinate the Taoiseach tomorrow if I wanted. And theres nothing our "intelligence agencies" can do about it. Even if I express my intentions openly on an internet forum.

Then why havent you?

The special branch and so on so forth are probably good at what they do. Years of monitoring terrorists have probably left them pretty professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Then why havent you?

He hasn't quite finished building the grassy knoll yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Then why havent you?

Please read my post. I said I could if I wanted to. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that he'll be attending the Dáil. A sniper shot to the dome would take him out. Or even wait at the gates for him with a hatchet. I reckon I could also post the exact time I was going to assasinate him and the pig brigade still couldn't stop me.

No worries though, I won't be wacking Biffo anytime soon. I'd only be doing that príck Enda Kenny a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

If everyone already knows about our secret service surely it's already failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

phenomenon wrote: »
    Please read my post. I said I could if I wanted to. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that he'll be attending the Dáil. A sniper shot to the dome would take him out. Or even wait at the gates for him with a hatchet. I reckon I could also post the exact time I was going to assasinate him and the pig brigade still couldn't stop me.

No worries though, I won't be wacking Biffo anytime soon. I'd only be doing that príck Enda Kenny a favour.

Where from? ^^

I doubt it'd be too hard in this country, but I doubt you'd get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Biggins wrote: »

That's because we're not really a threat to anybody and so have never been attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yes. Isn't it called the I.I.I.I.I?

The Irish Intelligence Institute of the Island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jiltloop wrote: »
    If everyone already knows about our secret service surely it's already failed?

Secret service is not the same as Clandestine Service.

I will say no more about this.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Biggins wrote: »

It would not bother me if it was only the U.S. that they help monitor.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Advertisement