Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

brayblue24 wrote: »
    A fortmnight in a bar-that's my kinda holiday

Dont forget about the lovely view of Darndale aswell:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Dont forget about the lovely view of Darndale aswell:D

After a fortnight in a bar a think I'd have forgotten most things:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Must admit I do perk up when this threads is revived! :D

Girl i know - I happen to be out of toothpaste so borrow hers couple of times to tide me over until i can make it to the shop

Its now kept in her room since! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I was the stingy one in this story and I feel incredibly bad about it!

I work in a shop, and a nun came in to buy a few bits in the sale, but she was about 70c off. There was a lengthy queue forming behind her, but for some reason I wouldn't let her off the 70c. I said as nicely as possible that she would have to take an item out and while she was humming and hawing over this another customer gave her the 70c. I felt so terrible about it, but I had let a few customers off that day already and had told myself I had to stop, or I would be out a few euros myself.

I felt so bad about it and will probably get a bollicking for this but maybe that will make me feel better! :o:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah, don't feel bad- I work in retail and the amount of people asking 'can I owe you a few pence' is crazy. That's the PRICE. If you don't have it buy something else! There's only so many people you can let off a few cents before it adds up and you end up getting in trouble for cash shortages.

Besides, she was probably paying you with money she stole from the collection box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

My last boss was a total scab.
    Gave out to me one day for taking two biros out of the stationary closet. Asked why i needed two. Cos customers were always fcukin robbing them and i don't have time to walk up a flight of stairs to the stationary, every time i need a pen :mad:
    Then he was looking at me pouring a cup of tea one day,and had a go at me for having a big mug!! It wasn't like a novelty mug or anything,it was just a small bit fatter than his mug. But apparantly i was using more water for my tea in said mug than was needed :rolleyes:
    There's loads more,but they're the two that amazed me the most!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Then he was looking at me pouring a cup of tea one day,and had a go at me for having a big mug!! It wasn't like a novelty mug or anything,it was just a small bit fatter than his mug. But apparantly i was using more water for my tea in said mug than was needed :rolleyes:

...but water is free?! :confused: What a d!ck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Fishie wrote: »
    ...but water is free?! :confused: What a d!ck

But the electricity to boil it is not.......... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Posy wrote: »
    Ah, don't feel bad- I work in retail and the amount of people asking 'can I owe you a few pence' is crazy. That's the PRICE. If you don't have it buy something else! There's only so many people you can let off a few cents before it adds up and you end up getting in trouble for cash shortages.

Besides, she was probably paying you with money she stole from the collection box.
    How about those people who ask 'can I take it now and drop you in the money later?'

Um, no. No you can't. Don't be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

I was the stingy one in this story and I feel incredibly bad about it!

I work in a shop, and a nun came in to buy a few bits in the sale, but she was about 70c off. There was a lengthy queue forming behind her, but for some reason I wouldn't let her off the 70c. I said as nicely as possible that she would have to take an item out and while she was humming and hawing over this another customer gave her the 70c. I felt so terrible about it, but I had let a few customers off that day already and had told myself I had to stop, or I would be out a few euros myself.

I felt so bad about it and will probably get a bollicking for this but maybe that will make me feel better! :o:(

Dont feel bad. Nuns are loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Victor wrote: »
    Did I? The discussion is about MPG (Miles Per Gallon), not miles per trip to the petrol station.

I think it's time for Mythbusters to take this filling the car half or fully - what's more fuel efficient challenge on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Dancor wrote: »
    Dont feel bad. Nuns are loaded.

Esp if the are in the Habit of not paying for their stuff.:D

Ill get my coat :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

galwayrush wrote: »
    Once in a restaurant, 4 people at a table near us, three of them leave a tip at the table on leaving, last person at the table pockets tip without the rest noticing.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Aw ****ing legend LMAO:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My friend was in charge of organising his school Debs so he charged everyone an extra fiver on top of the actual price of the ticket to make a profit.
    The same guy also spent all the money they raised fund raising for their Debs on drinks and cigarrettes! He really is milking the whole debs thing to the last!
    I could write a book about his sneaky scheming ways! Once he took around 3 fags from my box without even asking.It was creepy becaus I knew he must have gone into the drawyer I had them and sneakily taken them! Now I just tend not to invite him to things because I know I will have him scabbing off me the whole night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

brummytom wrote: »
    Really nice bar there actually, stayed there last year

God no...really stale atmosphere. It's like drinking in an airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Condi wrote: »

I really doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I really doubt that.

I'll second that. And how would the mate know unless he watches him having a sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

danslevent wrote: »
    My friend
    Don't confuse friends and acquaintances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Local bar-man is a legendary tight arse, drinking there last summer and took a notion to drink tia maria and milk, asked for it and he told me to fook off and get my own milk that he wasnt supplying me with it. Just to best him i headed off and bought a litre. Was in rounds so it was a only a while later that i noticed he was charging me 30c for a dash of it.
    He keeps a list of names at christmas of who gets a christmas drink, in case heaven forbid, someone might get two. Its a small pub, no need for it.

Local guard gets him off a late night drinking charge a few years back, he gave him a bottle of wine in thanks. Local poker players come in a few hours later looked for the prizes for the tournament they had left behind the bar, prizes included wine they bought in the supermarket, when they questioned was there not another one, he says no thats all that was left in. Jesus he's sitting in his own pub full of drink and he nicks a bottle of wine from people holding a tournament in his pub.
    Its just legendary now how'll far he'll go. If he was a ghost he wouldnt frighten you out of mean-ness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omar guest

Copper wire was invented by 2 Cavan men fighting over a penny. And theres the old fork in the sugar bowl trick as well.

pebbles21 wrote: »
    A Friend of mine lives a two minute walk from the Hilton Hotel on the Malahide road

Whenever he goes on holidays with his family he brings them all into the hotel bar for five minutes then out the other door through reception and uses the courtesy bus to the airport .......and when he comes home he does the same from the airport

Ledgend

needaname wrote: »
    One of my 'friends' who had been stingy throughout college outdid himself on the final day of college when we were all in the pub celebrating our achievement. The whole class were in the beer garden and a couple of guys bought themselves some food... a big carvery dinner. One guy ate most of it and when he was full wiped his mouth etc and threw dirty hanky, knife fork and any other pieces of rubbish lying around on the plate and pushed it aside. Cue my friend pointing to the food and sayin... you gonna finish that? Picking off the dirty hanky and proceeding to eat the food to the horror of the rest of the class. same guy clearly havent had enough of peoples leftovers picking up a glass and picking out the leftover lemon and eating it and then I kindly pointed out that the dirty glass was not in fact belonging to any of us and he had just eaten a strangers leftover lemon... soo not cool

I ate some left over chips out of a bin b4, i was hungry after my driinking session. A few words of wisdom 4 any would b pint snatchers, apparently people are filling pints up with half piss 1/4 beer then putting it down 4 the beer theif 2 quench his/he thirst.

Lo23 wrote: »
    If I ever call over to my mates for a cup of tea she'll make a few of us (3 or 4) share the same teabag! Pretty stingy!

Oh and she NEVER has biscuits!! :(

Maybe u should bring some biscuts, seeming as shes paying 4 the tea bag and over heads. HA HA HA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

danslevent wrote: »
    My friend was in charge of organising his school Debs so he charged everyone an extra fiver on top of the actual price of the ticket to make a profit.
    The same guy also spent all the money they raised fund raising for their Debs on drinks and cigarrettes! He really is milking the whole debs thing to the last!
    I could write a book about his sneaky scheming ways! Once he took around 3 fags from my box without even asking.It was creepy becaus I knew he must have gone into the drawyer I had them and sneakily taken them! Now I just tend not to invite him to things because I know I will have him scabbing off me the whole night.

St. Joeys school, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Not really stingy but I remember my granny would always keep the fat out of the frying pan and reuse it. Used to cook with Frytek cooking fat and would pour it into a small glass bowl after cooking until it went solid. It would then be re-used next time. It wasn't out of stinginess though. She was actually the kindest most generous person you could meet. I guess it was just a habit she grew into during her childhood and living in the UK during the war when food was rationed.

She would also keep a jar which she would put twisted pieces of bread wrapper in to. They would be used instead of matches for lighting the fire, etc.

She would keep and re-use EVERYTHING. Old newspapers, plastic bags, teabags. She had a use for all of them. I miss Nana :(

Some of the stories on this are priceless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

Was on a trip to LA around a year ago for a UFC event, after spending a night out on the town, my friends said we would do a bit of shopping. Purchased a few items anyway and I was trying on a pair of shoes in a shop and I looked over to see my friend putting on my timberland boots that I had just taken off. I said, "what are you doing?" bemused, he replys "just trying these on incase you don't want them anymore". I laughed and looked over again, to which he put his head down and went bright bright red :eek:

They were a fabolous shoe in fairness tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

discus wrote: »
    St. Joeys school, right?

Nope, but did it happen there too? I just think its lousy becuase Debs tickets are expensive enough as it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Usually they just get free tickets and maybe free drink?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement